ADVERTISEMENT

$75k for Reiber?!?

Arizona Knight

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Over the last few weeks, I’ve seen this referenced on this board and number of times. Despite how insane that would be I don’t doubt that it’s true. That said, I was just curious what the original source was for this information. Also, is that $75k total or annually?

Reactions: malaka27
Im not too surprised. Im guessing there’s a mid major out there, maybe a college of Charleston, that has some alumni with fat wallets.

I wouldn't doubt it's a UNC- team like Wilmington, Ashville or Greensboro, or maybe a team like Radford, Furman, Wofford or Davidson. Those are the teams that usually have forwards like Reiber all the time. Maybe even an ASun team like Liberty.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve seen this referenced on this board and number of times. Despite how insane that would be I don’t doubt that it’s true. That said, I was just curious what the original source was for this information. Also, is that $75k total or annually?
70K. The source was @RU72.
He mentioned it on the podcast.

If $1M gets Bailey and Harper, why can’t Dean get less than a 10th of that at a mid major where his impact will be greater than if he were at P5? Go dean
Don’t get me wrong I’m all for Dean getting a nice head start in life. That’s great for him. I’m just surprised the number is that high. But if he is a 14/7 guy in a mid major next year then it’s probably worth it.

Most deals are structured to be multi years, so I think this number makes sense over 2 years, but certainly not 1. He has a covid or 5th year, since he played his frosh year during 2020-21.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
You too can achieve good things. No need to feel like crap about your life because others are more valued than you want them to be.
I thought that’s how much we were paying him. If that’s how much he might get elsewhere, that’s good for him…..but still insane.

Wasn't the whole NIL movement supposed to be about a guy like Geo making a couple hundred dollars during the summer by putting his name on a basketball camp in NH? Pretty sure we had board members posting that.
And when i would respond with, “you guys are idiots this will quickly just turn into pay for play because these kids name images and likenesses have no value” those same people would laugh at me for having that stance. It’s an all-time L for them

I wouldn't doubt it's a UNC- team like Wilmington, Ashville or Greensboro, or maybe a team like Radford, Furman, Wofford or Davidson. Those are the teams that usually have forwards like Reiber all the time. Maybe even an ASun team like Liberty.
Nobody at UNC Greensboro is paying 75k for a basketball player 😂😂. I lived there for 10 years, not happening.

I don't know why anyone would doubt that this might very well be true. In five years most high mid major programs will have multi-million dollar player payrolls. Plenty of mediocre at best players will be pulling in low six figures per year.

The more I think about it the more I realize it’s not that crazy. It’s probably a 2 years deal since he was 2 years left. That comes out to like 37k a year, basically slightly more than minimum wage.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The more I think about it the more I realize it’s not that crazy. It’s probably a 2 years deal since he was 2 years left. That comes out to like 37k a year, basically slightly more than minimum wage.
And they might be including cost of attendance stipend and academic performance bonus

Reactions: FinalFourOrBust
As ridiculous as NIL has become I have a hard time believing Dean is being paid $75K at a mid major unless he’s also signed up to be the janitor for the next 3 years.
This is a pretty pretentious comment. Ouch.

Dean does a lot of things on the court well. High major ball just a bit too fast for him. He can make in impact in spots at this level in the right situation but not over the long haul.

Wishing him the best.

This is a pretty pretentious comment. Ouch.

Dean does a lot of things on the court well. High major ball just a bit too fast for him. He can make in impact in spots at this level in the right situation but not over the long haul.

Wishing him the best.

Hahaha I posted that almost a week ago. Dean is a great kid but I still find it hard to believe he’s getting $75K.

Little butt hurt that you’re getting ripped in the other thread for your dooshy comment I see.

Hahaha I posted that almost a week ago. Dean is a great kid but I still find it hard to believe he’s getting $75K.

Little butt hurt that you’re getting ripped in the other thread for your dooshy comment I see.
I take no offense it was harmless (and accurate). Your post on Dean was a bit offensive for my taste when I came across it.

He will have a nice career at a mid major.

A free college education AND $75K for Dean Reiber. Yeah, this is EXACTLY what the original intent of "NIL" was all about lol!!!

Its totally believable that this could happen in a world where salaries are totally separated from profitability and are entirely about vibes. If I were a multimillionaire alum of some low major school, would I toss a fraction of a percent of my wealth at a talented basketball player just for a shot at an NCAA tournament bid? I just might.

This is why the pros ultimately mostly have salary caps. Because you cant trust sports owners to not just pay way more for a ring than it is worth in a business sense and thats even more so for boosters, who obviously don't have any business sense to think about regarding the team's they support.

Last edited:
I can see it in the right conference/program.

Based on his stats this season his per 30 minutes stats are okay.

He was only a take for RU because his grandfather went to RU right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT