ADVERTISEMENT

900 miles 13 hour drive Temps in the mid to high seventies

2oagph.jpg

If you're making the drive and want to optimize your speeds, consider leaving around 4AM, or perhaps earlier. A 4:00 departure will put you beyond DC before most folks hit the road.
I would like to think that everybody more than 5-years old, born and raised in New Jersey who has ever headed to Florida, is well aware of this already, however, you never know!

Does Rutgers have a Florida alumni group?
We have a HUGE alumni base in Florida and I believe multiple clubs. If I recall correctly it was something like 15,000+ registered alumni in Florida, about 20 years ago, so I’m sure, knowing the way we do things, that number was easily triple that back then.

If you're making the drive and want to optimize your speeds, consider leaving around 4AM, or perhaps earlier. A 4:00 departure will put you beyond DC before most folks hit the road.

I would leave earlier than that...alter all, weed is legal in NJ

You're a day late, I already said that.
I've actually recomputed once again and come up with the possibility of 8 hours.

However, it would require amazingly good luck evading LEOs and/or traffic build ups (having to slow to roughly legal speeds too often would kill the potential to achieve the necessary average speed). Plus getting through Virginia and DC (with their illegality for radar detectors) complicates things a bit.

But it could be done by reaching somewhat high speeds for longish periods of time, if possible.

I've actually recomputed once again and come up with the possibility of 8 hours.

However, it would require amazingly good luck evading LEOs and/or traffic build ups (having to slow to roughly legal speeds too often would kill the potential to achieve the necessary average speed). Plus getting through Virginia and DC (with their illegality for radar detectors) complicates things a bit.

But it could be done by reaching somewhat high speeds for longish periods of time, if possible.
It's Maryland you have to worry about with all their troopers in unmarked Explorers. Every time we make the trip to Charleston or Tampa we see more ppl pulled over in Md than the rest of the trip combined.

I admittedly didn't perform any new math - I just extrapolated from our time to Orlando back in ...13? Whenever.

It's interesting that I've done Virginia at least 2 dozen times over the year and have, not once, taken any precautions re: my radar detector. I just leave it in the windshield. Never been hassled for it.

If @RU848789 decides to go then we can play leapfrog. Assuming his Honda can keep up. 😁

I admittedly didn't perform any new math - I just extrapolated from our time to Orlando back in ...13? Whenever.

It's interesting that I've done Virginia at least 2 dozen times over the year and have, not once, taken any precautions re: my radar detector. I just leave it in the windshield. Never been hassled for it.

If @RU848789 decides to go then we can play leapfrog. Assuming his Honda can keep up. 😁
Using a radar detector in Va. is a big fine not worth it just do 77 mph you will be fine

It's Maryland you have to worry about with all their troopers in unmarked Explorers. Every time we make the trip to Charleston or Tampa we see more ppl pulled over in Md than the rest of the trip combined.
Lots of unmarked in NJ too these days, although most are pretty easy to spot.

I prefer driving in daylight for that reason. It's MUCH harder to spot unmarked LEOs at night. But, I also hate traffic (even when it's moving). So as @Bleem Phuppert mentioned, driving in the wee hours of the morning avoids traffic (and there's presumably a much lower number of LEOs out there at 4am, too).

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Back when I went out to Columbus for the RU v OSU game, I built a spreadsheet to plug in numbers and compute estimates. But it was too rudimentary. A good model would account for estimated amount of time spent a various speeds along the way, which mine didn't. Still, it was fun to play with.

I drove out pretty fast. I drove back extremely fast, right around my governed limit in the MS3. The road was virtually empty for the majority of the way back, making that possible. Put a lot of wear on the turbo and tires, though.

Using a radar detector in Va. is a big fine not worth it just do 77 mph you will be fine
When I drove up to Montreal for an F1 race years ago, I had read about the cops in Canada confiscating radar detectors during stops. One guy had written that the cop took the detector, put it on the road in front of his patrol vehicle, and then drove over it. Not sure I believe that one as it seems like the risk of a puncture would be too high. But who knows.

But when I approached the border, I took mine down, and hid it under my spare tire, then reversed that on the way home.

Wasn't concerned so much the cost of it as not having it for the drive back home. LOL

Last month Georgia was a hot spot for troopers .Use WAZE to get warnings.

Many years ago I was pulled over flying through VA with my radar detector covered up by a blanket, and the cop was kind enough to say, “now before you lie and make things worse for yourself, I’m going to tell you how I know you are operating a radar detector.”

Whoops.

That would be about 113mph for 8 hours straight without stopping for gas or to pee.....
Right, which is impossible to achieve. The safely achievable speed will vary considerably throughout the trip. Plus, in the car I'd take, if I were going, I'd need to stop at least 3 times, possibly 4 given the likely speeds (although it's remarkably fuel efficient at high speeds due to gearing). The peeing thing is no problem if only 8 hours.

However, in order to achieve that average time overall, it would require traffic conditions light enough to permit faster speeds than the average for long periods. And that would require a lot of luck.

It's doable, but not very likely. I'll drive very fast at times, but only on mostly empty roads where I'm the only person at risk.

Many years ago I was pulled over flying through VA with my radar detector covered up by a blanket, and the cop was kind enough to say, “now before you lie and make things worse for yourself, I’m going to tell you how I know you are operating a radar detector.”

Whoops.
Yep, most are detectable. Some, including mine, are considered non-detectable. But new tech shows up periodically to detect them. And also, their effectiveness is cut the lower they're mounted.

If I have to drive through someplace where they're banned, I will slow down a bunch. Which I hate.

Last month Georgia was a hot spot for troopers .Use WAZE to get warnings.
Also, gotta figure that around NYE, the police will be out in larger numbers than most of the rest of the year (like on Saint Patrick's Day).

We drove to Orlando in 14 hours nine years ago
Yes we did! Learned a lot about EDM from @AreYouNUTS lol. Think it was 14 hours and 10 minutes (1050 miles from NB) and I think @RU4REAL52 and friends did it in 14 hours, so we were a close second. This past April, I did Metuchen to Vero Beach (1130 miles) in 14.5 hours, which was better than our performance to Orlando mostly because there was less traffic (was still "COVID" level traffic) and I took less breaks (apart from a 3 hour detour to play a round of disc golf), driving almost the whole thing in daylight. But I did get a ticket in GA, so if I go to JAX, I'm likely to keep it under 85 mph.

Yes we did! Learned a lot about EDM from @AreYouNUTS lol. Think it was 14 hours and 10 minutes (1050 miles from NB) and I think @RU4REAL52 and friends did it in 14 hours, so we were a close second. This past April, I did Metuchen to Vero Beach (1130 miles) in 14.5 hours, which was better than our performance to Orlando mostly because there was less traffic (was still "COVID" level traffic) and I took less breaks (apart from a 3 hour detour to play a round of disc golf), driving almost the whole thing in daylight. But I did get a ticket in GA, so if I go to JAX, I'm likely to keep it under 85 mph.
And we were in a driving snow storm from New Brunswick to a little past DC if I recall correctly?

Leaning towards going, but as I just posted, I got a ticket in April, so I likely will take it a little slower than usual. Hoping my dad will be into going to the game. He's 88 and doesn't like to drive far, but it's just 3 hours from Vero to JAX, so I'm going to try to convince him. We were supposed to be there right now with the whole family, but we postponed that until we know more about omicron and until this giant peak peteres out - out of caution for certain family members.

Reactions: Bleem Phuppert
Back when I went out to Columbus for the RU v OSU game, I built a spreadsheet to plug in numbers and compute estimates. But it was too rudimentary. A good model would account for estimated amount of time spent a various speeds along the way, which mine didn't. Still, it was fun to play with.

I drove out pretty fast. I drove back extremely fast, right around my governed limit in the MS3. The road was virtually empty for the majority of the way back, making that possible. Put a lot of wear on the turbo and tires, though.

Drove pretty fast. Cut the bull. We know what you're thinking.

"Mid to high 70's? WIMPS. Oh wait, you were talking about the temperature"

Reactions: mildone
And we were in a driving snow storm from New Brunswick to a little past DC if I recall correctly?
Snow wasn't that bad on 95, as it wasn't heavy enough to accumulate on the highway, but it definitely hurt visibility at times and traffic just moved slower. You drove that first leg...

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT