ADVERTISEMENT

A high school player who chooses Alabama

Think about how good the kid is just to get an offer, then think about a kid who loves the game, was rarely off the field being by far the best player on his high school team and in all likelihood will only play 1 of the next 5 years, if that.
I get it, our 03 could play there.
But think about how important he is to us....they’ve got 10 guys just like him

10 guys? They have a team full of those guys. I am guessing the toughest comp Alabama sees is an intra squad scrimmage.

They bring in guys off the bench who look as good or better than the guy they replaced. There is firing on all cylinders, then there is what that program is doing. Next, next, next, level. Massive support from the alums, massive support from the school. and the perfect coach to harness it all. To win that big, it takes being exceptional in every facet of fielding a team. I bet even their support staff is held to incredibly high standards.

I would not even wear the ring if all I did was sit on the bench.
I dunno, in a part of the country where Alabama football is more important than anything, just being part of the squad probably entitles one to some pretty sweet benefits.

Reactions: Kbee3
I dunno, in a part of the country where Alabama football is more important than anything, just being part of the squad probably entitles one to some pretty sweet benefits.

Auburn would disagree with you within that State.

One of my nieces, is an Auburn grad. Believe me she and ALL Auburnites hate Bama.

An Administrative Scholarship (what a medical is actually called) is NOT authorized by the Head Coach. The Medical Staff which include the Medical Doctors that work with the team, usually from the local Hospital AND the Head Trainer fill out medical reports that are forwarded to the NCAA.

The NCAA makes the decision.
Those are the procedures...All heavily influenced by...............................

Reactions: koleszar
It is getting a little old with the same teams every year. I would like to see the scholarship total cut back from 85 to 75 - 80, which would help spread the talent around a little.

I was thinking the same, their transfer ratio must be enormous.
To add insult to injury their QB returns and technically has 2 more years.

Zap,

How do you try and change/fix a system where the best only keep getting better by adding to their talented incoming freshmen while getting star transfers from the "lesser teams"?

Jonah Jackson transferred from Rutgers to Ohio State, started, made the playoffs and then on to the NFL.

The center Dickerson on Alabama who got injured, transferred from Florida State and won the Rimington award for the nation's best center.

The rich keep getting richer......

Best of Luck,
Groz

Alabama has gone thru some pretty lean times in the not so recent past under Mike Shula. It is all about the coaching, once Saban retires who knows if Alabama continues to compete at the same level. We need to focus on being the best team within our Division of the B1G, if we can get to the top of that mountain we will win our share of NCs.

Reactions: RU-AGK
It is getting a little old with the same teams every year. I would like to see the scholarship total cut back from 85 to 75 - 80, which would help spread the talent around a little.
I say get rid of the scholarship limit and instead go with a hard annual new scholarship limit. For starters it would slow the transfer market that is out of hand. Secondly it would reward the schools who retain players. It would also eliminate the advantage of running off players. For example each year you can add 20 players on scholarship each year. That includes anyone on scholarship. Transfer, freshmen or walk-in. A school like Alabama where kids leave early might only have 60 scholarship kids on the roster. While a school like Rutgers who tends to keep them might have closer to 100 kids. Coaches will really have to do their homework on a kid. Do you take a 1 year transfer or a freshman who could contribute for 4 years? Right now the system actually rewards roster turnover. They get that scholarship back after a one year transfer. What is it disappeared permanently. It would also limit the amount of talent a Alabama could collect.

Hey rememeber all those stupid arguments any time the idea of "officially" paying players come up:

It'll ruin CFB recruiting.
The rich will just get richer.
All the best players will just go to the elite schools.
It'll be the same elite teams winning over and over again.

Good thing everyone agrees the current system works so well..........

Hey rememeber all those stupid arguments any time the idea of "officially" paying players come up:

It'll ruin CFB recruiting.
The rich will just get richer.
All the best players will just go to the elite schools.
It'll be the same elite teams winning over and over again.

Good thing everyone agrees the current system works so well..........
I’m a dinosaur, I still equate free college, room/board and elite tutoring that pretty much guarantees you graduate and learn time management to being paid.
One big difference today is there’s no way to earn money if you’re on scholarship.
Back in the day, the school would give you a job, you could intern or work as a landscaper, lifeguard, bouncer etc.... all summer.
No more!

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-AGK
It's not competitive football. I used to love the National Championship game. Different schools, maybe you get a small run from one school but then a new king. Now money has made the haves and have not divide too great, I don't really care who wins the National Title anymore.
But is Bama's dominance a money issue? Or a Saban issue?

I see it as the latter.

Those are the procedures...All heavily influenced by...............................
Having been a scholarship football athlete and with 3 Sons that were scholarship football athletes, I can tell you that at most Universities the Medical Department does NOT run at the whim of the Head Football Coach.

Those HC's come and go, but mal practice insurance and civil suit go on forever in the medical profession.

Having been a scholarship football athlete and with 3 Sons that were scholarship football athletes, I can tell you that at most Universities the Medical Department does NOT run at the whim of the Head Football Coach.

Those HC's come and go, but mal practice insurance and civil suit go on forever in the medical profession.
Guaranteed you worked and made money during your summers playing football in college.

Different rules and different times.

Guys didn't ALL take summer courses or come in early right out of high school.

Heck, I bounced at a couple of local bars all 3 years at Syracuse, even during the season.
My Junior year for away games, I would have the Grad Student Advisor on my floor fill in for me till the plane got into town. He was tall and would borrow 2 or 3 sweaters from me to look bulked up.

Jack Protz and I were Cuse roomies, both drafted by Chargers. After our NFL (Not For Long.) careers were over, we went to bounce for Art Stock at his NJ bars. Jack knew him from high school.

That's where we met 2 Troopers that told us to go NJSP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT