ADVERTISEMENT

A Pathetic Performance For The Ages

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
That is how Senior Day 2022 will be remembered . This is an all-time classic comedy of errors . Pathetic and embarrassing performance for a program that never misses an opportunity to disappoint.
This is a low point and that is saying something. This goes down as one of the all time Pathetic performances. No excuses for what happened out there

I have to agree. It’s hard to argue that schiano will ever be the guy to turn this around. And I’m not saying he will be fired, because I know they are pretty trapped with him. You pretty much know after 3 years if there’s any signs of progress, and not only are there no signs, they are actually getting much worse.

Plum - We all wanted Greg. Do you think Greg can still get it done here or is he toast?

Sadly again……..not surprising. Another blowout loss. Eventually sooner rather than later we simply have to show we belong on the same field as these guys. I don’t even care anymore about the win loss record.

Plum - We all wanted Greg. Do you think Greg can still get it done here or is he toast?
Some of us knew he was mediocre at best, and that it was a bad hire. We actually analyzed his career performance in totaliity instead of holding on to a few nice wins over a decade ago. Losing comes in perpetuity with Greg.

Last edited:
Sadly again……..not surprising. Another blowout loss. Eventually sooner rather than later we simply have to show we belong on the same field as these guys. I don’t even care anymore about the win loss record.
Great post. They don't look like they even belong on the field or are in the same league most nights. It's embarassing. Wins and Losses matter, but you watch them play and it's a joke.

If Greg says complementary football in the presser it will just be a death knell that he will never adjust his outlook on anything.
I know people will crap on me, but I don't think he has any idea what he's doing. I think he's in over his head and has close to zero agility / flexibility as a person and refuses to change.

Greg was the right guy to hold the fan base together, but with NIL and his total lack of offensive player development he's probably not the guy to keep the team together. Not sure anyone can, but at least the fan base stayed engaged through COVID and into this season. Absent some new circumstance, next year might be a ghost town around here.

I know people will crap on me, but I don't think he has any idea what he's doing. I think he's in over his head and has close to zero agility / flexibility as a person and refuses to change.
He knows what he's doing with a defense, but at this point even special teams, which used to be his specialty, are a total disaster, and a bigger issue is a total lack of offensive productivity and player development.

Reactions: JRZEER
Rutgers just doesn’t have many good players
The problem with that view, which had been mine for a while, is that there is some correlation between coaching and players that don't play well. None of the three QBs on our roster, ranging from a six-year guy down to a second-year freshman, can read a defense, see the field, or hit an open receiver. At some point the coaches' approaches have to be considered as part of the problem.

in this era of offense, we remain offensive…almost a decade strong. It’s mind boggling we can’t even field an average offense. Our offense fails our D each game. Need to score 24-30 per game to be competitive.

I was fine with GS returning as I didn’t have confidence Hobbs could bring the right coach in, but in year 3 we lose at home by 45, in a comedy of errors. Facing 1-7 in league play.

Worst of all, what hope is there on offense right now. No young emerging talent other than Brown at skill position. Need a QB who can hit 50% of throws—not asking for much. Wimsatt not able or willing to run is useless.

Rutgers just doesn’t have many good players
I would not be surprised that Lewis transfers because he has NFL talent at defensive end and can enhance his draft status by playing for a winning team.The quarterback position shows very little improvement along with the offensive line.Recruiting is mediocre and player development at most positions shows very little improvement.

Reactions: darkcheck
Here's a good thread to bring back on how my opinion stood 3 years ago bringing back Schiano 2.0. I don't always make perfect sense and didn't suggest who they should have hired for $4 million a year but knew we could have done better. Not sure who was out there 3 years ago, who was hired after him and how they have done the last 3 years.

Post in thread 'Schiano was -500 in 11 Years as Head Coach in a weak Conference (Zero Titles)' https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ak-conference-zero-titles.180960/post-4189758

I would not be surprised that Lewis transfers because he has NFL talent at defensive end and can enhance his draft status by playing for a winning team.The quarterback position shows very little improvement along with the offensive line.Recruiting is mediocre and player development at most positions shows very little improvement.
I am concerned about retaining #71 as well. The kid is going to have offers elsewhere.

Maryland did not score last week vs Penn State. Granted this week maryland did score. I knew game was going to be very hard to win,

Not true at all , the problem we all know is the offensive coordinator position and if you fire your offensive coordinator in the first half of the season then it’s going to be tough to win. Speed speed speed and more speed , Maryland managed to hang 30 points on the buckeyes cause they have speed and a quarterback who is experienced. We don’t have enough speed on offense and we just look to slow when the ball is handed off or passed through the air . Greg can fix these issues if he gets some players who are already seasoned to help while is younger players are developing.

Reactions: RUDead
2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2005Rutgers7–54–33rdL Insight
This is an important reminder about how RU teams did during Greg 1.0. I went to every one of those games and one thing those records do not reflect is that even though we were losing you could feel the improvement each year. Unfortunately I do not feel that yet with Greg 2.0. That need to change real quick.

Great post. They don't look like they even belong on the field or are in the same league most nights. It's embarassing. Wins and Losses matter, but you watch them play and it's a joke.
Exactly. When the other “lower tier” teams play top teams they keep the score respectable. When we play the top teams the score 50+ and we score <=10

Exactly. When the other “lower tier” teams play top teams they keep the score respectable. When we play the top teams the score 50+ and we score <=10
Love it. Now all the GS haters want moral victories.

This is an important reminder about how RU teams did during Greg 1.0. I went to every one of those games and one thing those records do not reflect is that even though we were losing you could feel the improvement each year. Unfortunately I do not feel that yet with Greg 2.0. That need to change real quick.
What usually happens during successful rebuilds is the less talented roster you inherit stops making bad mistakes and begins to execute at higher levels. The coach puts the players in the right positions to make plays. This allows you to pick up wins over more talented teams.

Eventually you start recruiting better and these new players already see a successful culture in place.

I thought this was happening the first year during the covid year. But then this year has been plagues with unbelievable amount of penalties.

The competition level also changed through those years.
2002 - Five 9+ win teams (#2 Miami, #18 VTech, #19 WVU, #25 WVU, BC)
2003 - Five 8+ win teams (#5 Miami only ranked team with more than 8 wins)
2004 - Miami and VTech depart. Four 8+ win teams (#21 BC only team with more than 8, #25 Pitt)
2005 - BC departs. Pitt and Cuse make bad hires, the latter of which results in Ray Rice/Courtney Greene committing to RU. Only two 8+ win teams (#5 WVU, #19 Louisville)

Schiano got the program to the point where it could capitalize on those changes, but he also benefited greatly from things that were beyond his control.

The competition level also changed through those years.
2002 - Five 9+ win teams (#2 Miami, #18 VTech, #19 WVU, #25 WVU, BC)
2003 - Five 8+ win teams (#5 Miami only ranked team with more than 8 wins)
2004 - Miami and VTech depart. Four 8+ win teams (#21 BC only team with more than 8, #25 Pitt)
2005 - BC departs. Pitt and Cuse make bad hires, the latter of which results in Ray Rice/Courtney Greene committing to RU. Only two 8+ win teams (#5 WVU, #19 Louisville)

Schiano got the program to the point where it could capitalize on those changes, but he also benefited greatly from things that were beyond his control.
Yeah, nm all the nfl players he produced. Must be what you said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT