ADVERTISEMENT

After reviewing the total body of work of BIG teams this week, RU included...

lakejj

Junior
Aug 17, 2006
... I am very encouraged about RU's chances for success this season.

And, No, I'm not rutgersal.

P.S. Baylor just lost to Liberty.... doesn't RU have them on the sched in the near future?

P.S. Baylor just lost to Liberty.... doesn't RU have them on the sched in the near future?
Purdue and Maryland looked pretty good. We probably need to beat both if we're to make a bowl game. The only team I'm for sure we looked better then is Illinois. Even then its still probably too early to tell.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Purdue and Maryland looked pretty good. We probably need to beat both if we're to make a bowl game. The only team I'm for sure we looked better then is Illinois. Even then its still probably too early to tell.
Add Nebraska as a solid possible W. Arkansas State giving the Huskers all they can handle.

This is where we need a 100% button. While I agree with what you stated; I do not like it one bit.
I am 100% positive on the future of this team.
This weekend was perplexing, as all of our guaranteed or probable win teams performed well yesterday. I don't like pronouncements of greatness or lack thereof based on last year's record. We are indeed a new team. Nebraska will be a good measuring stick. And we can't look past Morgan State or EMU.
Howard beat a 45 point spread yesterday and beat UNLV 43-40.

I also think other fans and teams are saying the same thing about us. " Don't underestimate RU this year, they gave UW a scare....."

Reactions: eceres
Kansas beat Texas last year.
They were 2-10 last year
Beat Rhode Island and Texas.
Just saying.

Maryland was 19 point dogs.
Went into the game missing 6 starters
Lost their starting QB in the 3rd
Sustained a comeback attempt in one of the toughest places to play
Just saying.

Reactions: RUhobbit and jorand
Texas is a train wreck if you watched that game. MD did look good in a lot of phases. I think we can run on them.

Purdue also looked pretty good but so did we. MSU looked okay. Very vanilla when I watched. The BIG 3 on our side and Wisconsin all looked very good. After that.......

Most tams are going to get better each week but it also depends on who you are playing and how you match up. looking forward to week 2 for a better idea of how teams stack up.

Isn't the rule of thumb that teams make the most improvement on week 2?
A lot of lower level teams put scares into teams this weekend. Some of it is simply due to "name" teams getting way too much love (like Texas) and some of the "lower" teams getting no love at all.
We need to see if RU can come out and play with the same level of enthusiasm against a supposed lower level team like Eastern Michigan.

Just saying.
Texas last year showed nothing to deserve that #23 ranking this year. They beat one winning team 7-6 Baylor to go 5-7. A Baylor team that just lost to Liberty for Pete's sake. They sucked last year and they suck this year. They got that ranking via a name, Texas and a coach who won somewhere else, Herman. This isn't the good Texas everyone remembers, venue doesn't matter if the team sucks. Just saying.

Reactions: eceres

What is encouraging about Michigan scoring 30+ on florida, Indiana being able to score 21 on the Bucks, Purdue hanging with Louisville and Maryland going over 50 on Texas?

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Just saying.
Texas flat-out stink. They were 5-7 last year with a loss to Kansas. Yet somehow they were ranked 25th in the nation after losing a 2000 yard rusher and one of the best quarterbacks in their history. That's a blue getting the benefit of the doubt when they definitely don't deserve it. Maryland should have been favorite considering all things going into the game.

Texas flat-out stink. They were 5-7 last year with a loss to Kansas. Yet somehow they were ranked 25th in the nation after losing a 2000 yard rusher and one of the best quarterbacks in their history. That's a blue getting the benefit of the doubt when they definitely don't deserve it. Maryland should have been favorite considering all things going into the game.

I can't believe I'm actually responding to this, but to say that Maryland should have been favored going into the game is legit insane.

Reactions: jorand
Certainly does not look like the B1G had any 'lackluster / uninspired" performances & -based on the first week - no teams on life support with ADs jotting down names of potential new coaches... no teams already curled up in the fetal position. But this was week one - and college football can be a funny game.
It is absolutely impossible to take week one & extrapolate to the end of the season.

Figure that at least one or two B1G teams will, despite a strong opening game, sputter big time - injuries, controversy, dissension, quirky bad breaks - who knows why ... it is unpredictable - sometimes frustrating - sometimes amazing - that is what makes it fun to follow.

What is encouraging about Michigan scoring 30+ on florida, Indiana being able to score 21 on the Bucks, Purdue hanging with Louisville and Maryland going over 50 on Texas?
What it should tell Rutgers fans is that there are no sure league wins this season and in most games they will be the underdog.Upsets happen in sports all the time and that is the mantra that Rutgers needs for keeping the morale up during league competition.

I agree, just sayin

Wow poor Texas ! First Harvey then Maryland. We can help with the first and laugh about the second.

Herman will eventually fix Texas. He's a good coach.

Texas is another example that stars ain't everything.

I would like to see KILL open up the O against E.Mich.Get them into a nice rhythm.And do it even more against Morgan St.It has been a long time since Ru had a smoothly running O,that can put up points.There are two other of our QB's that I would like to see in action as well.

What it should tell Rutgers fans is that there are no sure league wins this season and in most games they will be the underdog.Upsets happen in sports all the time and that is the mantra that Rutgers needs for keeping the morale up during league competition.

Rutgers hasn't won a Big Ten football game in almost two years. Why would anyone think there'd be any "sure games" and that Rutgers should be favored in any Big Ten game this season?

Most coaches will say you don't worry about how the other team plays but how your team plays. That being said I was very pleased with Friday's effort. Next week is a key game. We need to come out fired up and ready to play and beat this team by 10-17 points.
My big take away from this weekend is that we will be COMPETITIVE in almost all of our games. That can't be said about last year's team.The big boys might smack us around a little but Nebraska, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland and Michigan State we should have a shot. Of course somewhere in there we'll have a WTF game but I'm looking forward to the season and hoping for a 6-6 season and a minor bowl. At least it looks like there is hope.

Reactions: lakejj
Isn't Texas loaded with 4 and 5 stars?

sure, but that's been true forever and they've had 3 straight losing seasons and haven't won a bowl game since the 2012 Alamo Bowl in Mack Brown's 2nd to last season.

sure, but that's been true forever and they've had 3 straight losing seasons and haven't won a bowl game since the 2012 Alamo Bowl in Mack Brown's 2nd to last season.

And have now lost 5 games in a row. Including to a 2 win Kansas team at the end of last year.
Texas not so good now. Not a Top 25 Team, Not a Top 50 Team.

Just saying.

Texas never should have been favored yesterday. Lost the final 4 games last year. And lost to KANSAS last year. KANSAS had not beaten a P5 team in 3 years.
Just saying.

Most coaches will say you don't worry about how the other team plays but how your team plays. That being said I was very pleased with Friday's effort. Next week is a key game. We need to come out fired up and ready to play and beat this team by 10-17 points.
My big take away from this weekend is that we will be COMPETITIVE in almost all of our games. That can't be said about last year's team.The big boys might smack us around a little but Nebraska, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland and Michigan State we should have a shot. Of course somewhere in there we'll have a WTF game but I'm looking forward to the season and hoping for a 6-6 season and a minor bowl. At least it looks like there is hope.

^This

I was encouraged by our play, but just about all the teams that I felt we have a chance to beat played a lot better than I expected. It will not be easy to get to 6. We need to stay healthy through the first half of the season and hope depth catches up to some of those teams like Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT