ADVERTISEMENT

Air Conditioning Installation Underway at the RAC

RAA-1

All Conference
Jan 28, 2004
Princeton
With all that is going on with BB I don't remember seeing this posted here.

I was at the RAC this morning and observed that the Air Conditioning system was being installed at the RAC. One of the workers told me that it will be completed in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

More progress with facilities.

I was at the RAC this morning and observed that the Air Conditioning system was being installed at the RAC. One of the workers told me that it will be completed in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

excellent...thanks!

AC is the key to a new coach!!

Haha, get a good enough air conditioning system, maybe Arizona's Sean Miller would come cool off and coach!

Screen-Shot-2016-03-18-at-7.46.15-AM.jpg

This is fine with the use of the RAC in late spring, summer and early fall, but I can only recall a few days/nights since the RAC opened
for basketball games where A/C was actually needed. 95% of the time tee shirts are just fine to wear for games in the middle of winter. inside.

Joe Dooley could use the AC also. I hope hope uses this as a selling point to a coaching candidate.

This is fine with the use of the RAC in late spring, summer and early fall, but I can only recall a few days/nights since the RAC opened
for basketball games where A/C was actually needed. 95% of the time tee shirts are just fine to wear for games in the middle of winter. inside.

It's more for the players so they can use the place more comfortably to practice in the aforementioned summer, late spring, early fall periods.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about freakin' time.

Some of you are poking fun at this, but it really is meaningful.

Hobbs knows what he's doing.

Does AC installation mean the 40 year old RAC will be around for a long time and that the plan to improve it internally and build new facilities around it ?

This announcement says it all, and sums up the failure of RU Basketball since the final four team arrived home from Philadelphia. The RAC should never have been built the way it was.

Does AC installation mean the 40 year old RAC will be around for a long time and that the plan to improve it internally and build new facilities around it ?

Well the plan is to build the bb/vb/wrestling/gymnastics practice facility nearby.

This announcement says it all, and sums up the failure of RU Basketball since the final four team arrived home from Philadelphia. The RAC should never have been built the way it was.
I guess you don't remember what type of basketball facilities our opponents had back in the late 70's. And it was actually built so that we
could expand it by building out both end court sections to be similar to the side court sections. The slanted roofs would be removed to get that done. They must have lost those plans over the years.

I guess you don't remember what type of basketball facilities our opponents had back in the late 70's. And it was actually built so that we
could expand it by building out both end court sections to be similar to the side court sections. The slanted roofs would be removed to get that done. They must have lost those plans over the years.
Take a look at what our B1G opponents had in the late 70s. Yes I remember that talk about it being expandable, but someone either back then or now is not telling the truth. Or maybe it can be done but the cost is astronomical.

Now, if we could just get some lights on our baseball field it could look more like a typical high school field in that regard...

Of all of our facilities, to me the most embarrassing is the baseball field. Forget other B1G programs. Take a look at the facilities that, for example, UMASS-Boston or Wright State have. Amazing we get any recruits at all.

Take a look at what our B1G opponents had in the late 70s. Yes I remember that talk about it being expandable, but someone either back then or now is not telling the truth. Or maybe it can be done but the cost is astronomical.

Not necessarily even what our B1G opponents had in the 70's. I was hoping for something like the Providence Civic Center. That was probably the #1 arena in Eastern hoops in the 70's.

Instead, we got something that looked cheap and unfinished, even in 1977.

Now, if we could just get some lights on our baseball field it could look more like a typical high school field in that regard...

Of all of our facilities, to me the most embarrassing is the baseball field. Forget other B1G programs. Take a look at the facilities that, for example, UMASS-Boston or Wright State have. Amazing we get any recruits at all.

No doubt. I'd love to see "Bainton Field at Todd Frazier Stadium" sometime in the next few years!

Not necessarily even what our B1G opponents had in the 70's. I was hoping for something like the Providence Civic Center. That was probably the #1 arena in Eastern hoops in the 70's.

Instead, we got something that looked cheap and unfinished, even in 1977.

Yes, Providence Civic Center was built in 1971 but its not owned by Providence College.
Most of the teams in the Northeast play in 'off campus' arenas not owned by the Universities.
Carrier Dome was opened in 1980 and Manley Field House was used for basketball, track and volleyball before then.
Penn State's Jordan Center was opened in 1996. I'm not going to go through all the B1G BB Arenas but I'm sure that
most were smaller than they are now.

If you go back to pre-expansion B1G teams, the schools with post 1980 new arenas are Michigan State, Iowa, Ohio State and Wisconsin. Pretty sure the other 6 teams are still using the same arenas with the same capacity. I think, other than Northwestern's Welsh-Ryan Arena, the RAC capacity would have been less than any B1G school even then.
In 1977 when the RAC opened, most of the teams in the East, were still playing at on-campus arenas, except for Providence and Duquesne (Pittsburgh Civic Arena). St. John's played the occasional MSG game. The Big 5 schools played some of their bigger games at the Palestra. I don't ever recall any college games at the Spectrum in the 70's, other than the Final 4. Certainly Villanova never scheduled anything there until the mid-80's.

I heard this air conditioning story a year ago. Are you sure they are really installing it this time? I sweated like a pig all season long.

I was hoping he'd pay for more than just the lights! I'm talking a REAL 3-4,000 seat stadium. Would be nice if Todd were able to pitch in enough to get it underway and his name on the outside!
Oh I agree with you Nuts. But lights would be a start. Wouldn't it be great to have a state of the art baseball stadium?

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I heard this air conditioning story a year ago. Are you sure they are really installing it this time? I sweated like a pig all season long.

As I mentioned, I personally witnessed the installation and spoke to one of the supervisors working for the contractor.

The AC thing has been bantered about for at least the last 3 seasons, with funding being "reallocated" each time.

The RAC is insufferable in the summer when the outside temp gets above 80. They've measured on court temps at over 125 degrees during various summer camps, a situation that can only be described as unsafe.

This work was actually started prior to Hobbs taking over, so kudos to JH for getting this done.

The AC thing has been bantered about for at least the last 3 seasons, with funding being "reallocated" each time.

The RAC is insufferable in the summer when the outside temp gets above 80. They've measured on court temps at over 125 degrees during various summer camps, a situation that can only be described as unsafe.

This work was actually started prior to Hobbs taking over, so kudos to JH for getting this done.
Exactly. As much as I like Hobbs, JH was the one that made this happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT