ADVERTISEMENT

Air Force giving Michigan all they can handle

They have a creative offense. Also I don't think Michigan is a top 10 team this year. Top 25 probably but their offense just isn't that great. They'll still kill us though...

Michigan just got two homer non calls in a row with Air Force knocking on the door.

For some reason, it surprises the announcers that the Air Force team is so well-conditioned that its line can compete in the fourth quarter. Wouldn't you expect that of a military academy, where students train constantly? I note also that service academies seem to run the option a lot. and often very effectively.

For some reason, it surprises the announcers that the Air Force team is so well-conditioned that its line can compete in the fourth quarter. Wouldn't you expect that of a military academy, where students train constantly? I note also that service academies seem to run the option a lot. and often very effectively.

Individual SA player conditioning isn't the problem - it has more to do with depth. Big teams can send their 2's and 3's into the game with less drop-off than say Army. Army's best players stay on the field more so they usually aren't as fresh in 2nd half as the opponents. You usually saw Army looked a little gassed in 2nd halves vs Rutgers.

The option is a system that helps smaller, less talented teams play teams they would be outmatched by if they ran pro-set, spread etc. Army doesnt get great passers and WR. Their WRs are often blockers more than anything. The option also uses up the clock a lot. Option teams keep other teams offenses off the field. Running eats clock but so does a no-huddle designed to wait to last minute to snap ball. Option also throws off others teams prep. It usually takes even good teams one half to even get used to option. It looks tricky in person. You can lose sight of the ball - a kind of 3 card Monte effect

Reactions: retired711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT