ADVERTISEMENT

CFP: Why isn't Air Force (8-0) ranked #6?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
They are an undefeated FBS team.
What happened to all these arguments from when Cincinnati was undefeated:
  • If you go undefeated, you should be in the playoffs
  • Can't blame them for their schedule
  • They beat everyone they've played
  • What's the point of having a season if you can go undefeated and not play for the championship?

Seems disingenuous to make these arguments for an undefeated AAC team (Cincinnati) but not for an undefeated MWC team (Air Force).
Personally, I'm fine with it. I didn't believe any of those arguments for Cincinnati anyway and same for Air Force.
Just find it interesting the outcry seems to be non-existent now.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Who are you arguing this strawman with?

I can find the posts and articles later.

There were plenty of people saying "If an undefeated FBS team can't make the playoffs, what is the point of playing a season then?" in regards to UCF or Cincinnati being undefeated and left out of the the playoffs over P5 teams with losses.

• What's the point of having a season if you can go undefeated and not play for the championship?

Seems disingenuous to make these arguments for an undefeated AAC team (Cincinnati) but not for an undefeated MWC team (Air Force).
Personally, I'm fine with it. I didn't believe any of those arguments for Cincinnati anyway and same for Air Force.
Cincy beat a ranked ND on the road and IU (they weren’t good but a P5 nonetheless) on the road as well by the time the first rankings came out. At the end of the year the also beat a ranked Houston in the AAC champ game. Even then they needed a lot of help at the end of the year with other teams tacking on a second loss while they stayed undefeated. If those other teams didn’t get a second loss they still wouldn’t have gotten in. ND had one loss but Cincy beat them at ND so they couldn’t get ahead of Cincy.

AF right now has only 1 win over a winning team and that’s Wyoming at 5-3. The rest of their wins are against losing teams. Later in the year UNLV and maybe Boise might be opportunities for wins against teams with a winning record.

Being undefeated is only one criteria. SOS and other things come into play too. You should be happy they’re expanding to 12 because then a team like AF has a chance to get into the playoffs lol.

giphy.gif

Cincinnati had a stellar team and crept up the rankings over a couple of years IIRC. If Air Force goes on a tear the next 3 years they’ll make it in the top 10.

It's also not the first time. WMU was undefeated the whole year when Fleck was there and only got as high as 15 in the CFP.

These teams will get an opportunity with expansion. With 4, sometimes you need help as a P5 team let alone a G5. It's just very selective but at 12 there's more opportunity for everyone.

Last edited:
Cincinnati had a stellar team and crept up the rankings over a couple of years IIRC. If Air Force goes on a tear the next 3 years they’ll make it in the top 10.

Sauce Gardner was on that team.

Who are you arguing this strawman with?
More of a commentary than a strawman IMHO.

He is pointing out he is not seeing any kind of concerted effort by anyone in the media to lobby for Air Force. He is also saying he would disagree with them if they were.

He is not saying that some strawman is arguing for Air Force and that he disagrees with that strawman.

If you play in a non power conference, and do not play top 20 teams with your out of conference games, you will not make the playoff, particularly if you started out , outside the top 20 preseason

If you do it a second year in a row, you might then make it, because you might have started the second year a,preseason top ten team, thus it is easier to rise up from there

In
Other words, the first season sets the stage for the second

Reactions: PaKnight
He is pointing out he is not seeing any kind of concerted effort by anyone in the media to lobby for Air Force. He is also saying he would disagree with them if they were.

Well, then, he should write pointed emails and social media posts to these people in the media, as I'm pretty sure they are not perusing the Rutgers Rivals message board.

Sauce Gardner was on that team.

One of 7 players drafted that year and besides Gardener the wete 2 2nd rounders and 1 3rd. Followed by 7 drafted the next year and 3 the year after that. Think AF has 17 potential draft picks on their roster? Throw in the win over ND in South Bend (with ND South Bend refs) makes me wonder what the hell the OP is talking about.

Reactions: ashokan
I haven't watched AF at all but I see for total offense they are medicore(ranked in the 60s our of 130 or so,). However for Time of Possesion They are number one - that helps defense which is ranked 3rd.

Army is as bad this year as I've seen them since Monken's 2nd year. But games bewteen SAs are usually scrappy and rarely blowouts. Army v AF has been a cantankerous game the past years. Army has no QB this year though

AF loses to OSU/PSU/Mich by 30 plus points each. They would struggle to have 4 wins win our current schedule.

With Army's poor season you know Monken and boys want this one bad
A 2-9 season is ok if the 2 are AF and Navy

Last edited:
Reactions: rurichdog

giphy.gif

This didn’t age well.

This didn’t age well.

Not really.

The point is still the same.
G5 teams can go undefeated, win every game on their schedule and have no chance to play for a national championship.

Why even have P5/non-P5 in the same division?
What are they even playing for?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Tjus
Not really.

The point is still the same.
G5 teams can go undefeated, win every game on their schedule and have no chance to play for a national championship.

Why even have P5/non-P5 in the same division?
What are they even playing for?
They will have more opportunities when the playoff goes to 12 teams. They also can toughen their OOC schedule.

Last edited:
So did you write those emails and social media posts to those influential people in the media lobbying for Air Force?

Reality is not a jinx. And rankings are not "line up all teams in # of wins order and list them 1-25". Air Force was pyrite.

But it was good for the OP floating a strawman with no supporting evidence, particularly a strawman on a message board where nobody really cared about or paid attention to Air Force.

Reactions: NickRU714
Only counts if you said you expect Army to beat them. “Watch Army beat them” is not a prediction as you didn’t say it as a statement of your opinion
It was pretty definitive . “Watch army beat them” It was a statement and not a question.
Maybe not as definitive as flood is a dud or someone will get us smashed.
I guess it’s close and can see your point. Board legend should get benefit of doubt 😂

It was pretty definitive . “Watch army beat them” It was a statement and not a question.
Maybe not as definitive as flood is a dud or someone will get us smashed.
I guess it’s close and can see your point. Board legend should get benefit of doubt 😂
sure- you can have my benefit of doubting you :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT