ADVERTISEMENT

CFP: Why isn't Air Force (8-0) ranked #6?

They are an undefeated FBS team.
What happened to all these arguments from when Cincinnati was undefeated:
  • If you go undefeated, you should be in the playoffs
  • Can't blame them for their schedule
  • They beat everyone they've played
  • What's the point of having a season if you can go undefeated and not play for the championship?

Seems disingenuous to make these arguments for an undefeated AAC team (Cincinnati) but not for an undefeated MWC team (Air Force).
Personally, I'm fine with it. I didn't believe any of those arguments for Cincinnati anyway and same for Air Force.
Just find it interesting the outcry seems to be non-existent now.

Not picking on you, but your post might make the jinx hall of fame. . . . .

Army L 23-3
Hawai'i L 27-13
UNLV L 31-27
Boise St L 27-19

8-4/5-3 😬

Not picking on you, but your post might make the jinx hall of fame. . . . .

Army L 23-3
Hawai'i L 27-13
UNLV L 31-27
Boise St L 27-19

8-4/5-3 😬

Haha!
Search and replace “Army” with “Liberty”.

The point still stands: what’s the point of continuing the farce of P5/G5 in one league if someone can go undefeated and not even be Top 25 - let alone compete for a championship?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Haha!

The point still stands: what’s the point of continuing the farce of P5/G5 in one league if someone can go undefeated and not even be Top 25 - let alone compete for a championship?
Maybe the voters saw the future!

For the record, I agreed with you OP.

Reactions: NickRU714
Haha!

It should not be a shock to you that this happens. The level of competition is less
and voters dismiss a lot

No one takes an undefeated team seriously if not in the power conferences

They start off the charts, unranked, and could wind up, eighth, or ninth etc at the end of the season

Now, if that same team could repeat undefeated the next year, they could finish near the top 4, assuming the voters put them inside the top 20 preseason off the previous year’s performance

Last edited:
Haha!

I've never believed that coaches/media actually see the Sat games of so many teams to then be able to rank them fairly. Its easier to plug-in a known team - deserving or not.

I see that strawman not only got knocked down, but then thrown on the bonfire and burned up.

princess bride Theatre & Musicals GIF

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Reactions: Knight Shift
Seems like that “straw man” was actually a phoenix rising from the ashes.

Seeing a lot of:
  • What’s the point of the regular season?
  • Can only play the teams on your schedule
  • Can’t exclude an undefeated conference champion
  • Shouldn’t be favoring certain conferences over other conferences

Seems like that “straw man” was actually a phoenix rising from the ashes.

Seeing a lot of:
  • What’s the point of the regular season?
  • Can only play the teams on your schedule
  • Can’t exclude an undefeated conference champion
  • Shouldn’t be favoring certain conferences over other conferences

Why are you hellbent on making this more complicated than it is when it's about to be blown up, anyway?

The G5 already proved it had a path to the 4-team playoff but that path wasn't merely winning out a third-tier schedule in ignorance of what all the other teams did. Nor should it ever have been.

I've always agreed they should just split G5 and P5 into separate levels, but does that even benefit G5? At all? If so, why is it always the P5 that's going to initiate the split?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT