ADVERTISEMENT

Alexis Morris

Colerr

Junior
May 18, 2009
Is no longer listed on the roster.

Perhaps we can grab up a grad transfer to fill her and Noga’s spots.

We hardly knew her so won't be missed.
What will be missed : is what was expected out of her.
Now that will be expected from someone just coming in to the program.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Are you joking?? She sat next to fiends fo the Maryland (men's) game and was telling everyone how happy she is to be at RU and headed to law school. Everyone thought she was "wonderful." What happened now? More of the same with her or the program?

Disappointing news to say the least. So curious to know the reason. Was really looking forward to seeing here become fully incorporated into the team's flow. Her, Diamond, improved Zippy, the other incoming frosh, to go along with the Mack and Arella.....we had a real contender in the making. Still in good shape but I just wonder what happened. Was it home sickness, non-meshing of personalities, unhappiness with the program,....???
I observed over her time here and hoped this wouldn't happen. Looking at how she interacted with the team on the sideline to try to gage her level of comfort with the team. I have to say that I didn't get the sense that things were good. To clarify what I'm saying,.... I noticed this with another player with a few things in common with Alexis. McDs All-american, highly recruited, extremely talented, many options, chooses Rutgers. They both were pieces that the team could really use. Sierra Calhoun. I painfully watched her go through last season looking like she was never fully brought into the mix with the team. I don't know why, but I noticed it all season long until she quit heading into the tournament. I kept saying to myself,...she may be the best player on the team and she's not being utilized. Don't know if it was coaches fault or if she just didn't "buy in". She never really seemed to learn the offense. Teammates didn't really look for her much.

Bottom line, its so sad to see elite talent come into our program and hardly even see the court before they decide to leave. Makes me appreciate Arella even more.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Was Arella arrested twice and booted off her previous team?

Arella is an exemplary woman and player. As fine of a representative of Rutgers that you can find. How dare you compare her with Alexis

smfh....thats what happens when you keep taking these transfers

How dare you blanketly complain about transfers.

Transfers are gambles, some work out, some don't.
But they are part of most programs trying to improve and unless transferring is suddenly
verboten, Rutgers will go that route when a talented player is available.
If CVS didn't, you can bet some on this board would be asking why Stringer isn't looking at
bringing in transfer help.

Could someone do some digging and see what the deal with her is? If she was transferring I’m sure we’d hear that she had entered the transfer portal just like Davenport. She would be considered a pretty big get.

I don’t think Alexis is leaving the team. She posted this today on her social media

I think the removal of her name has to do with the team looking to get her a medical redshirt for last year. Does anyone know how that works? She was already a redshirt sophomore.

I don’t think Alexis is leaving the team. She posted this today on her social media

I think the removal of her name has to do with the team looking to get her a medical redshirt for last year. Does anyone know how that works? She was already a redshirt sophomore.
Wow!!! That's the best news of the day, if true. Let's all hope she gets well soon. She's had a rough couple of years and I get the feeling she would win over a lot of RU fans if given the chance.

Reactions: Esipos1
Transfers at the elite W BB programs is more prevalent than most probably realize:

"Guard Mikayla Coombs will transfer out of the UConn women’s basketball program, the school announced Tuesday, leaving the Huskies with just eight players on scholarship for the upcoming season.

“I would like to thank the UConn community and the coaching staff for everything they have done for me during my time here,” Coombs said in a statement released by the school. “I wish everyone at UConn the best, and I am excited for the next chapter.”

Coombs, the third player from her recruiting class to transfer, arrived at UConn as a highly touted recruit (No. 13 in the country, according to ESPN) but never quite found her footing in Storrs"

They come and they go.

https://www.courant.com/sports/ucon...0190423-k5aypy2n4fh5zoxrrf7ounw7he-story.html

Elena Delle Donne, a 2x WNBA MVP even transferred out of UConn. Baylor has a ton transfer in and out every year. South Carolina, etc.

"Transferring is newest trend in women’s college basketball"

https://www.nhregister.com/colleges...-newest-trend-in-women-s-college-11350001.php

Stringer confirmed to NJ.COM today that Morris and Davenport have left the team. Rutgers’ C. Vivian Stringer on coronavirus stealing women’s NCAA bid: ‘We knew we had made it’
https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/202...ed-by-coronavirus-we-knew-we-had-made-it.html

Stringer confirmed to NJ.COM today that Morris and Davenport have left the team. Rutgers’ C. Vivian Stringer on coronavirus stealing women’s NCAA bid: ‘We knew we had made it’
https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/202...ed-by-coronavirus-we-knew-we-had-made-it.html
DANG!!! What could have been.......!
Well, let's just hope things work out for all parties. Time to move forward with the outstanding group of young ladies that, no doubt, will continue to represent RU very well..

Reactions: ChasRC69
Key word was "THESE" transfers. I don't think he was talking about Rella or Stasha types.

Exactly...there arevknown bad apples..cvs has recruited many over the years..itd onot one or 2.

That the one poster lumped Arelle in was beyond the pale..no comparison

Exactly...there arevknown bad apples..cvs has recruited many over the years..itd onot one or 2.

That the one poster lumped Arelle in was beyond the pale..no comparison
Taking a gamble is what has to be done at times.
Sometimes the gamble doesn't work out.
Arella was a gamble, but only because all transfers are , not because of the type of person she is or any problems at her old school.
Just like any transfer , you can't tell if it'll work out until the player starts playing.
That goes for talent coming in from the HS ranks as well..

Taking a gamble is what has to be done at times.
Sometimes the gamble doesn't work out.
Arella was a gamble, but only because all transfers are , not because of the type of person she is or any problems at her old school.
Just like any transfer , you can't tell if it'll work out until the player starts playing.
That goes for talent coming in from the HS ranks as well..

the point is and stop denying it that CVS has brought some really trouble transfers over..do we really want to go through the list, we are not talking about ones that just didnt work out..and she has plenty of those who never or barely even played. All programs have those.

the point is and stop denying it that CVS has brought some really trouble transfers over..do we really want to go through the list, we are not talking about ones that just didnt work out..and she has plenty of those who never or barely even played. All programs have those.
You can't broad stroke twenty transfers by the outcome of three or four. Should be the other way around. For any name you bring up we can name so many transfers that didn't have any problems while here.

It is not a mistake on CVS's part to give kids a second chance at getting it right. She should be commended for extending a hand to those kids...... You would be justified if she was guilty of allowing intolerable behavior to permeate the culture of the program just to keep a player on the roster. She has never allowed that.....and that's part of why she's HOF.

Maybe we should consider that the time spent under CVS, no matter how long or short a stay, can serve a more impactful purpose than what's seen on the surface. The Jernigan article gave an example of it. She stated that when taking an asst. coaching job, she reflected on her time here under CVS to help her be successful in taking another step toward feeling good about herself again.

Some transfers may not work out on the court, but the time spent may have been meant for them as a part of their life journey.

Reactions: Esipos1
Lets go over the list, seems like you know it well.
I'm just saying some transfers work out, some don't.
Some second chance players make the most of it, some prove to be a mistake.

CVS has taken chances like most HCs will when an opportunity to bring in talent arises.
Some programs have other aspects that bring in the talent besides their HC, at Rutgers for the longest time, it was Stringer's name, reputation and the respect she has in the basketball world that brought in the players.
Don't bet your sweet bippie that the facilities those players saw impressed them favorably.

Some just look for something to complain about, even though you might say the RU WBB program has been the best of the big 3 RU has and was that way because of C.Vivian Stringer's efforts.
Those efforts include taking some chances on 2nd chance players that transfer in from a school they might have had a problem while they were there.
Also giving a Rutgers player who came in from HS a second chance, after that player made a mistake after entering Rutgers or maybe while in HS.
But that's what a lot of coaches do in every sport and there'll always be a few that don't work out that are thrown in those coach's face by fans of the program that aren't fans of the coach.

Yes she has. Who is denying it.

I applaud her for it. As someone else said, if it was allowed to permeate the team culture . . .

Many, many years ago, early in CVS's time, Rutgers had a slightly questionable juco transfer that disappeared fairly quickly. I don't remember how we found out but we did hear the why, and how she caused a brief suspension for one of the team's stars who was also involved. I always took this as an early-on indication that CVS would give chances, but keep a short string for those chances.

Is there something wrong with giving second chances? I have heard that argued, and I personally have never agreed. I think there is a point when you run out of "chances", but most folks deserve at least a second, and sometimes a 3rd chance.

I think whether you’re on her bandwagon or not, we know the kind of person she is. She’s been thru a ton. She is a no nonsense, tough love, mother/grandmother to these young women. I think she sees potential in some who have made mistakes. She believes that under her strict tutelage, they will succeed. But it is her way or the highway. I’m sure the players know this coming in. Some work out. Some don’t.

Hmm. So she could return to the team?
Looks like she left , not because of being a problem child, because of medical issues.
Sometimes it pays not to be so judgemental before the facts come out.
I use that as an example because I assumed a different reason without any facts ,except Alexis' name was no longer listed on the roster.

Over a month ago, in a thread titled, Minutes being logged in games, that Alexis Morris was hospitalized, yet some posters had to ASSume that she was leaving do to discipline problems. Correct that haters are gonna hate, without knowing what they are talking about!!!

It appears that she has made it official that she has entered the transfer portal. I would not be surprised if she wanted to go play for Vic back home in Texas. He needs a point guard. Hopefully, she gives strong consideration to returning to RU.

Our chances may have gotten better since Texas just signed a grad transfer from Duke to play point guard.

She hasn't even been on the roster on SK.com since halfway through the season so I don't see any way she will be coming back

She hasn't even been on the roster on SK.com since halfway through the season so I don't see any way she will be coming back
It was more like the last 3, maybe 4 games of the season that she was no longer on the bench.

Depending on the circumstances of the departure, I could see CVS giving her the opportunity to come back, if Alexis expressed that interest. Like I said,.....the circumstances of departure would be the key determining factor.

Stop making things up, she was on the roster all season & was hospitalized for the last two weeks of the season & was in a walking boot for several weeks before she was hospitalized.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT