ADVERTISEMENT

ALL-ACCESS: Rutgers Basketball Offseason Workouts

I think we will see improvements in our returning players. It looks like the coaches and players are working hard.

Reactions: higgins3
Thanks for posting this. Always enjoy seeing different workouts.

I posted this on the thread on the RT, but I'm confused. It appears that the players are working on fundamentals. Blasphemy!
"Contest it. Change it. Alter it." Sounds to me like they are working on defense too?!?!?!

Love the access that is going on with or major sports now. First the big social media presence from football and now small looks into our basketball program

I am very excitied

This is a HUGE comment....FIG is not easily impressed.

if I can guess here.....you liked the big guys working on using their left hand close to the basket., That's a very underrated thing to work on. A big man using the left creates easier shots for himself in the paint and he can draw fouls because defenders have to reach across the offensive players body to contest the shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
With all the lay ups we missed the last ten years...this fundamental is welcome

Like seeing the Bigs working on their hands, catching the ball, catching it high, not bringing it down, just going straight up.

Am I the only one who pictures this every time you see RU-Choppin's signature?

th

I like it when Young didn't just hand them the ball. Freeman had to rip the ball from his hands (~1:37). Little stuff like that...

This gets me so excited. Look fast guys, we have actual coaching on the banks!

I think we see a different team this year.

I share the excitement! this is what I posted yesterday...

1) It's been a while since we saw a video like this for BBall...I want to say the last time I saw a video like this was before the season started. so nice to see this
2) Brandin Knight looks like he could still play today. I am so excited for how he's going to help Corey, Nigel and Williams' game. We are so lucky to have him
3) Looks like Jay Young is going to be the guy coaching the bigs...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the emphasis of working the left and not putting the ball on the ground. How many times in the past 3 years did one of our Bigs get the ball right underneath the basket, only to lose it by bouncing it first? Many many many times. And the left hand is such a small thing, but so important. These were just 2 of the small things I noticed, but loved.

Hopefully this is the start of much more focus on BBall with RU social media.

I have seen countless time watching college basketball the ball on the left block and a simple drop step and left hand finish was needed.

This video kind if points to EJ's problems, namely the need to teach fundamentals and have assistants that could do that. You have to ask how much of this Mike O"Koren ever did. EJ's problem was that the NBA players he coached were the best of the guys coming out of college, and they had the fundamentals down pat, so at RU, his coaching instincts after years coaching in the NBA were so ingrained that he didn't understand that the RU kids needed to work on them. Like bigs not bringing the ball down after grabbing a rebound, blocking out, etc. EJ also was in his late 50's when he took the RU job, which made it even harder to change. Few coaches move seamlessly from college to pro or pro to college. Way more failures than success stories. But this kind of work pays off in developing skills, and really great to see how involved Knight and Young are. 201617 might be tough, but 2017-18 will be better.
TL

Jay Young is really sweating through that t-shirt in that video! That is a hard working coach!

I mentioned in another thread that I saw Jay Young working yesterday with Freeman, Doorson and Diallo. I also saw Brandin Knight working with Williams, Johnson and Laurent. They both were working extremely hard. I stated to a friend that Brandin Knight certainly could still play. He was amazing in stressing defense Young really worked the 3 bigs from both sides of the rim and made certain that the ball never touched the floor. I never saw defense and fundamentals stressed so much at any past RU practices that I have seen over quite a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT