ADVERTISEMENT

All Pikes Fault

we only had one basket in between Jadens at 7:14 to Mags at 45 sec....one fg against a bad defense for 6:30 minutes

terrible D all you want, but we lost because we couldnt make a basket in that stretch..in fact just 1-7 fg
We lost both ways. You don’t cough up a
Lead like that and not be bad on both ends.

Exactly. We are putting our “good defenders “ out there and they are getting getting torched . Either they aren’t good defenders , your d scheme sucks , or play your better offensive players because what’s the difference and at least they can score
That is what is really concerning. After a game like that you point along with the others (zap and Bac) are tough to argue with.

my only comeback can be new players need to be programmed to what effort is needed to get minutes.

we are at the point where Caleb is the only defender that is a MINuS and he isn’t a PLuS

That is what is really concerning. After a game like that you point along with the others (zap and Bac) are tough to argue with.

my only comeback can be new players need to be programmed to what effort is needed to get minutes.

we are at the point where Caleb is the only defender that is a MINuS and he isn’t a PLuS
There has to be a balance though. I think being 5-6 games into the season we can see what we are at this point

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
yeah right but why are you on Jaden who barely played in the 2nd half when we blew a 17 point lead

at this point to me its all on the coach
You win!

The one thing we may be getting wrong…………Jones right now may not be a good offensive player.

We don’t have a sample size that says he is a good shooter.

Let’s hope this isn’t the case.

Everyone assumed Hyatt was good and right now he is looking like a poor man’s Peter Kiss.

when Caleb missed the ft, he needed to be yanked for that last possession, do you really think he was an viable option to shoot a last second shot

Reactions: RUinOhio
i am just trying to figure why Hyatt got so few minutes, I get he didnt look good at all in his early minutes but man he didnt transfer here to play 9 minutes on a team that cannot do anything right anyhow

the reality is the stench is across the board in the experienced talent

its someones fault we play 4 wings.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
A lack of defensive effort isn't the coach's fault? C'mon.
What is he to do?

Bench guys who don’t give effort. Check
Scream at them in practice. Check
Play your best defensive lineup. Check

only thing left to do is whip basketballs at them or make them practice naked or make fun of where they were born every time they give up 13 3 point FGs

i am just trying to figure why Hyatt got so few minutes, I get he didnt look good at all in his early minutes but man he didnt transfer here to play 9 minutes on a team that cannot do anything right anyhow

the reality is the stench is across the board in the experienced talent

its someones fault we play 4 wings.
Was the staff wrong to shut down Peter Kiss
Was the staff wrong for shutting down Souf

those were not power 6 conferences talent and never should have been here like Palm and Reiber and Duke

Hyatt is, at least IMO

I’m well into the acceptance stage now. I just laughed at the final 7 minutes. If the players aren’t playing D which is supposedly our staple, how can you not blame coaching in addition to players. The offensive strategy was a joke too down the stretch. Again, just horrible and embarrassing coaching. EMBARASSING, yea I said it once before and I’m saying it again

What is he to do?

Bench guys who don’t give effort. Check
Scream at them in practice. Check
Play your best defensive lineup. Check

only thing left to do is whip basketballs at them or make them practice naked or make fun of where they were born every time they give up 13 3 point FGs

I think you are making the point that Pike’s biggest failure is a lack of recruiting despite recent success, a great conference and a new practice facility. To me, that is where all of the vitriol should be aimed. Pike has not brought in enough Big 10 caliber players. Palmqist, Reiber, Agee all look like swings and misses. The jurying is still out on Hyatt, but he does not look like an impact player either. Miller, who knows. But the last 2 years have yielded only 1 impact player - Cliff. That is not nearly good enough.

Last edited:
I think you are making the point that Pike’s biggest failure is a lack of recruiting despite recent success, a great conference and a new practice facility. To me, that is where all of the vitriol should be aimed. Pike has not brought in enough Big 10 caliber players. Palmqist, Reiber, Agee all look like swinags and misses. The jurying is still out on Hyatt, but he does not look like an impact player either. Miller, who knows. But the last 2 years have yielded only 1 impact player - Cliff. That is not nearly good enough.
He dealt himself bad cards it appears. At least at first glance

Like everyone knows best while the coaches don't watch practices and understand the strengths and weaknesses of their players---we all are upset but some fans are really just big windbags/"crybabies"

He recruited the guys who make up the “lineups that can’t shoot.” That’s on him.
This - x1000. Every team that beat us has players that can shoot from the outside - consistently. We have none. ZERO. In 5 years plus has Pikiell not brought in one legit B1G level shooter. Not one.

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
Like everyone knows best while the coaches don't watch practices and understand the strengths and weaknesses of their players---we all are upset but some fans are really just big windbags/"crybabies"
There’s no excuse for not attacking that zone defense UMASS fell into in the second half up double digits…none
Attack it, we are bigger and stronger.
I don’t need to see practice to know that

Just watched the game back after not being able to watch it live the first time around. Some observations:

1) When teams play man defense, we are acceptable. When they play zone, which UMass started doing, we struggle badly.

2) Paul is not a point guard. He is a good-passing power forward. He should not be at the top of the key with the ball or covering the opposing point guard. Every time he was at the top of the key, they DARED him to shoot the three. They sat back, gave him space, and packed the lane. If the lane is packed, it’s no wonder we’re forced swinging the ball around. If he can’t hit that three, he should be limited to being the zone breaker in the middle or be a post-up guy. Along those lines, Paul still gets burnt covering an opposing point guard.

3) At first I thought Ron was lazy on defense, but watching it back, he is mostly gassed and/or dealing with some kind of pain. Either way, he is still a liability on defense down the stretch. Have Paul and Ron in the same end-game lineup and you get defensive breakdowns left and right. Our other guys foul on defense half the time because they are put in a bad spot by those two. When Ron is fresh, he is great/awesome, but we either need to manage his minutes better or get him healthy.

4) If it wasn’t for those two DUMB fouls on three point shooters, Oskar played decent. He needs to take Paul’s spot on the outside to at least pose a three point threat, so the lane doesn’t get clogged.

5) I’m okay with Caleb being on the floor, but he is also not a perimeter guy. He needs to cut for some easy buckets or post-up like he used to do at times.

Overall, yes, I’m starting to agree that Pike is not putting his players in the best position to succeed yet. I just disagree with some of the reasons for it.

He coaches scared on offense. I said it after HOU game. Basketball is not a sport where you easily run out the clock like football.

And what just recruits think?
You could do that before the shot clock....see Dean Smith's 4 corner offense.

But that was pre ice age....Pike needs to get with the times: SCORING is the name of the game!

MO

when Caleb missed the ft, he needed to be yanked for that last possession, do you really think he was an viable option to shoot a last second shot
disbelief he was in there, both possessions. when the radio guys called the lineup I'm like WTF!! (then he's fouled like clockwork)......

I'm not a guru but I know enough to know that PIKE should KNOW something so BASIC.

Reactions: bac2therac
Just watched the game back after not being able to watch it live the first time around. Some observations:

1) When teams play man defense, we are acceptable. When they play zone, which UMass started doing, we struggle badly.

2) Paul is not a point guard. He is a good-passing power forward. He should not be at the top of the key with the ball or covering the opposing point guard. Every time he was at the top of the key, they DARED him to shoot the three. They sat back, gave him space, and packed the lane. If the lane is packed, it’s no wonder we’re forced swinging the ball around. If he can’t hit that three, he should be limited to being the zone breaker in the middle or be a post-up guy. Along those lines, Paul still gets burnt covering an opposing point guard.

3) At first I thought Ron was lazy on defense, but watching it back, he is mostly gassed and/or dealing with some kind of pain. Either way, he is still a liability on defense down the stretch. Have Paul and Ron in the same end-game lineup and you get defensive breakdowns left and right. Our other guys foul on defense half the time because they are put in a bad spot by those two. When Ron is fresh, he is great/awesome, but we either need to manage his minutes better or get him healthy.

4) If it wasn’t for those two DUMB fouls on three point shooters, Oskar played decent. He needs to take Paul’s spot on the outside to at least pose a three point threat, so the lane doesn’t get clogged.

5) I’m okay with Caleb being on the floor, but he is also not a perimeter guy. He needs to cut for some easy buckets or post-up like he used to do at times.

Overall, yes, I’m starting to agree that Pike is not putting his players in the best position to succeed yet. I just disagree with some of the reasons for it.
1) without anyone that can consistently shoot from the outside, this is how you beat Rutgers. Pikiell recruiting over 5 years has never fixed this He says they are not easy to find. How did Lafayette and UMass find them. Excuses no more.

2) Agree - Mulcahey is just a point forward. Put a quick guard on him and he is toast.

3) Ron played decent, but not level he is capable of. Something off in his game. Almost looked uninterested.

4) The fouls outside of the arc were beyond stupid. Practice 101 stuff. Unless Oskar can shoot, he's no more than a plug for a few minutes. He was supposed to be the magical shooter.

5) He needs to understand his limitations. He is a 12 foot guy. Drive and take those shots.

This is Pikiell's best team, or so he said. How can he not figure out what he has before making such a wrong statement?

Reactions: RedChucken123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT