ADVERTISEMENT

Mawot Mag Technical Foul Play Refs!!!

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
I just rewatched the entire sequence when Mawot Mag got his technical foul at 16:37 left in the second half and I was completely flabbergasted at the game that this was just let go by the ref!!
The sequence started with a defensive rebound by J Mike as he crosses over half court he was fouled and the referee there blew his whistle which is clear as day on the replay and made the foul motion and obviously it was not heard the play continued I think J Williams went in for the layup and nothing was called the players came together and that’s when Mag got called for the T. Then the ref just apparently decided no foul and after the T Maryland gets the ball
Me and a few others in my section were just incredulous not sure how the Rutgers coaches just let this go or missed it!!

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I just rewatched the entire sequence when Mawot Mag got his technical foul at 16:37 left in the second half and I was completely flabbergasted at the game that this was just let go by the ref!!
The sequence started with a defensive rebound by J Mike as he crosses over half court he was fouled and the referee there blew his whistle which is clear as day on the replay and made the foul motion and obviously it was not heard the play continued I think J Williams went in for the layup and nothing was called the players came together and that’s when Mag got called for the T. Then the ref just apparently decided no foul and after the T Maryland gets the ball
Me and a few others in my section were just incredulous not sure how the Rutgers coaches just let this go or missed it!!
What was hard to understand? Mag shoved the Maryland player on the sideline after the play was over. Was definitely a T.

Yeah, it really wasn't confusing. It was a non shooting foul, Mag reacted to contact after the foul and shoved, earned his tech, and UMD got the ball.

Addendum even Bardo said the whistle had blown and they played through it on the layup and yet the ref just decided NO FOUL!!

There was a foul. They got the ball back because of the technical that occured after it.

Yeah, it really wasn't confusing. It was a non shooting foul, Mag reacted to contact after the foul and shoved, earned his tech, and UMD got the ball.
You guys are completely missing the point the outside ref blew his whistle to call a foul at half court when J MIKE got fouled the layup would not have even counted because the ref was calling a foul before the layup even happened and yet after the T the ref just decided upon himself there was no foul
Bardo again even stated the play was dead before Simpson went in for the layup
There should have been a foul called and our ball even if the T was called!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You guys are completely missing the point the outside ref blew his whistle to call a foul at half court when J MIKE got fouled the layup would not have even counted because the ref was calling a foul before the layup even happened and yet after the T the ref just decided upon himself there was no foul
Bardo again even stated the play was dead before Simpson went in for the layup
There should have been a foul called and our ball even if the T was called!!
There was a foul called...but then the T was called, and by rule, Maryland gets the ball due to the Technical (for which the penalty is two shots and the ball).

My bad I did just see that but they don’t change possession after a T usually in college
There are different types of Technical Fouls...that one was a Contact Dead Ball Technical, and per the rules "After a single flagrant 2 technical foul or contact dead ball technical foul, play shall resume by awarding the ball to the offended team at adesignated spot nearest to where the foul occurred using the procedures in Rule 7-3.2".

There are different types of Technical Fouls...that one was a Contact Dead Ball Technical, and per the rules "After a single flagrant 2 technical foul or contact dead ball technical foul, play shall resume by awarding the ball to the offended team at adesignated spot nearest to where the foul occurred using the procedures in Rule 7-3.2".
Problem was the contact on jmike was technically dead ball contact as well and needed to be called

There was a foul called...but then the T was called, and by rule, Maryland gets the ball due to the Technical (for which the penalty is two shots and the ball).
Right. There was a foul called but it wasn’t a shooting foul. We lost possession due to the technical.

During the game the loudest fan reaction was after referees made questionable/bad calls.While the team was experiencing long scoring droughts, fans were just shaking their heads because they have seen this act far too many times in previous games.

That was the kind of play that could only happen to Rutgers. We have a 3-on-1 breakaway, and the result of the play is 2 shots for Maryland and MD possession after. Infuriating

Reactions: Loyal-Son
That was the kind of play that could only happen to Rutgers. We have a 3-on-1 breakaway, and the result of the play is 2 shots for Maryland and MD possession after. Infuriating
I don't know what the breakaway foul is. But that woukd seen to have been a case example of when you would want to be able to call it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT