ADVERTISEMENT

Football Another player in transfer portal

Could be a good thing in the long run but none of this is good for this season. If AS thought it was bad back there before, wait till he sees the D tackles running through untouched.

Yes if not for Micah brother Jamal perhaps doesn’t receive a scholarship. We have seen little of Micah and much less of his brother .... 3 years of no production... When does Micah go into the portal ?

Did I miss something? Haven't seen anything about Micah transferring or "retiring" from football. Would have thought the latter more likely.
I thought I read somewhere that he may be done for medical reasons. However, not sure if this was on this board or elsewhere. In either case, I think we should not expect him back either. I think medical situations like that allow for that athlete to retain scholarship, but does that count against the 85 limit?

Looks like the whole ash OL and D Line will be replaced , that transfer portal is definitely a need

I thought I read somewhere that he may be done for medical reasons. However, not sure if this was on this board or elsewhere. In either case, I think we should not expect him back either. I think medical situations like that allow for that athlete to retain scholarship, but does that count against the 85 limit?

It's been pretty much common knowledge for almost 2 years.

Do you think he will receive a medically unable to play (or whatever it’s called) designation and not count against the limit anymore or has that already happened?

Thanks.

If I had to guess I'd say they'll make a decision solely based on what's best for him. Would expect nothing less from Greg. What that is would be above my pay grade.

Did I miss something? Haven't seen anything about Micah transferring or "retiring" from football. Would have thought the latter more likely.

Completely unscientific research by me, but I looked at this Twitter. No mention of Rutgers football in his Twitter bio today, yet it was in his bio in the past.

If he takes a medical retirement, he retains his scholarship and it no longer counts against the football team's 85 limit.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Completely unscientific research by me, but I looked at this Twitter. No mention of Rutgers football in his Twitter bio today, yet it was in his bio in the past.
You looked a little harder than I did then, lol. I saw his tweets are protected and hit the X

Besides us he had a told of one offer. ONE!!!
That was ODU.
Good luck Jaamal Beatty where ever you decide to go.
Study hard. That should always be your first priority.

Could be a good thing in the long run but none of this is good for this season. If AS thought it was bad back there before, wait till he sees the D tackles running through untouched.

‘This is a disaster for this season.
You can’t have 5 new players starting on the OL who have never been in the program.
An OL must be a cohesive unit and jell. QB will running for his life again.

Yes if not for Micah brother Jamal perhaps doesn’t receive a scholarship. We have seen little of Micah and much less of his brother .... 3 years of no production... When does Micah go into the portal ?
Most OL play in year 3-4. Not saying he would have but to say “no production” is bogus. I think younger kids have passed him. That happens to many OL.

Reactions: thegock
If RU runs the ball more then the lineman might do good. Pass blocking is hard and Sit will have to throw the ball quickly. I do think that coach Schiano knows what he is doing, I'm not too worried.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
You can’t have 5 new players starting on the OL who have never been in the program.

Normally I would agree. But these guys weren't exactly Mike Webster, Anthony Munoz and Orlando Pace. We were so over matched up front the last few years it was ridiculous.

Hey, thank goodness I had my sarcasm radar on. Because, yeah, the 2017 and 2018 OL units were so freaking awesome filled with kids who had been in the program.

Reactions: colbert17
It is commonly thought that 1/3 on the roster is good enough to play in games, 1/3 good enough to develop when the first 1/3 graduate, and 1/3 are recruiting misses.

So after several years if someone is still on scout team losing him is not an issue.

Remember that the OOC schedule should be such that you can play LOTS of your roster in the second half …...see Monmouth this fall.....so getting some PT in 2 or 3 years should be a given for the first 2/3 of your roster.

The other 1/3 is why some coaches still have tackling practice...in practice.

Medical Scholarships; The kids DON"T have the choice. The Medical Staff, including the MD's on staff prepare reports that are forwarded to the NCAA. If accepted then he is still on schollie, but does not count for the 85 roster number. They also do the paperwork for medical "redshirts" for kids looking for another year of eligibility.

Reactions: redking
Normally I would agree. But these guys weren't exactly Mike Webster, Anthony Munoz and Orlando Pace. We were so over matched up front the last few years it was ridiculous.

Understood.
Imagine have Zero LBs returning and starting from scratch?? OL is our weakest unit and while they were not B1G quality they had experience. Losing Mike stinks .

It 'depends' on several things on how many OL you need.

Injuries is # 1.

Nobody gets hurt and you only need 5.

Understood.
Imagine have Zero LBs returning and starting from scratch?? OL is our weakest unit and while they were not B1G quality they had experience. Losing Mike stinks .

2020 is a rebuilding year for RU FB, like it or not. An entirely new OL points to that, along with a lack of skill players and depth at many other positions on both sides of the ball.

It’s a great narrative for RU fans to say that Greg will mine the 2020 portal to fix our problems on the team and grab 5 or more wins this season. But it’s very unlikely imo. Getting to 5 wins during Year 3 seems more likely to me.

2020 is a rebuilding year for RU FB, like it or not. An entirely new OL points to that, along with a lack of skill players and depth at many other positions on both sides of the ball.

It’s a great narrative for RU fans to say that Greg will mine the 2020 portal to fix our problems on the team and grab 5 or more wins this season. But it’s very unlikely imo. Getting to 5 wins during Year 3 seems more likely to me.

According to S&P, Rutgers had the 121st offense in 2019. Yes, it's going to take time. I'm still hopeful they can finish the year in the top 80 or so. That will still be a below average offense (and among the worst in power 5) but improved. If they do that, the team will be far more competitive.

As just one example, Kent State was 82nd in 2019. No reason Rutgers can't get to that level (competent).

In the last four years, Rutgers has finished last, next to last, third from last, and next to last in total offense. We can't really get any worse. Only place to go is up.

So who exactly are our starting 5?
O’Neal - Hanson - Sutton - Krimin - Paillent

Let’s hope that the staff brings in a grad transfer guard who can start or seriously coaches up older guys like last year’s JuCo dud, Omari Cooper, or kids who have been in the program for 4+ years like Lonsdorf, Vretman or Bowles? The season isn’t going to be a bust because Maietti and Beatty have left the building.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Beatty was another recruiting coup by Ash in somehow convincing him to come to Rutgers over Old Dominion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT