ADVERTISEMENT

Another Possible Reason Our Passing Game Was So Bad

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Our wide receivers were really bad at creating separation. Something that I don't recall being an issue. The past two years is that we had open receivers but Noah couldn't get the ball to them. Not many people have mentioned it but we probably miss Tiquan Underwood more than we realize. In addition to his coaching he was a positive on the recruiting trail and had a great presence with the kids.
NJ guy, former RU player, just seems like a natural for us. Was there ever a reason given why he left??

This has been an issue since Leonte Carroo graduated. It even took Bo a while before he could separate.

Underwood’s recruiting results weren’t all that great. And this is a bottom line business. Losing Fran Brown was a much bigger hit.

Our wide receivers were really bad at creating separation. Something that I don't recall being an issue. The past two years is that we had open receivers but Noah couldn't get the ball to them. Not many people have mentioned it but we probably miss Tiquan Underwood more than we realize. In addition to his coaching he was a positive on the recruiting trail and had a great presence with the kids.
NJ guy, former RU player, just seems like a natural for us. Was there ever a reason given why he left??
You couldn't have said it better. Just look at the after effects. We can't recruit anyone. We can't get receivers open it's a disaster.

This has been an issue since Leonte Carroo graduated. It even took Bo a while before he could separate.

Underwood’s recruiting results weren’t all that great. And this is a bottom line business. Losing Fran Brown was a much bigger hit.
I agree about Fran but I was more talking about Ti's coaching the WRs

He was a malcontent that bad mouthed us on the way out . He wanted more money than he was getting.

I agree with the OP. I also wonder how much our offensive scheme and playcalling factors in. When the opponent identifies the right keys and therefore knows the play your running, it’s going to be hard to get separation.

Reactions: Unionst
It’s not one thing. It’s everything. When we ran the ball well everything looked better so we need to be able to run the ball better.

One example in a recent loss was out of our own end zone. First we threw to the Penn State sideline which allowed the bench and coach to tell the dback to turn and make a play. Some say our QB should have thrown it deeper but the separation happened after the d back turned. If we threw to our sideline he wouldn’t turn there. But that’s not all. Our QB must have thrown it early because our veteran WR did not look for the ball and continued on his route. Young QB throwing out of end zone against a stellar defense to their sideline is a bad call IMO. Of course if it works it’s a great call lol. Even with all that I just said, our veteran WR also needs to feel the ball coming and break up the INT. Bo as he got older was great at either making the catch or breaking it up.

I think he tweeted something along the lines of “never let someone pay you less than your worth” shortly before his departure was publicly announced.
Rutgers fans need to get over themselves… I’m sorry but the guy got an offer from Georgia! Love in my heart to Rutgers, why on earth would a 40 year old rising star coach stick around at Rutgers when Georgia calls him for the same job?? That’s like getting mad at a programmer who is working for a startup who leaves when Google gave them an offer… it’s stupid.

I had never heard that before.
It was all over. He was progressing in his salary and position as a coach but wanted to make a ”leap” ahead of where he was supposed to be. Guess he did not w@nt to wait. But for him to bad mouth us on his way out is not acceptable.

Rutgers fans need to get over themselves… I’m sorry but the guy got an offer from Georgia! Love in my heart to Rutgers, why on earth would a 40 year old rising star coach stick around at Rutgers when Georgia calls him for the same job?? That’s like getting mad at a programmer who is working for a startup who leaves when Google gave them an offer… it’s stupid.
Tiquan did not go to Georgia.

My post was referring to Tiquan’s tweet

Reactions: LETSGORU91
It was all over. He was progressing in his salary and position as a coach but wanted to make a ”leap” ahead of where he was supposed to be. Guess he did not w@nt to wait. But for him to bad mouth us on his way out is not acceptable.
And I promise you, no one besides you and a couple other RU fans cares…. What exactly does ‘he didn’t want to wait’ mean? He took the same job at Georgia. Hate to break this to you, but Rutgers will not reach Georgia’s level in our lifetime

Reactions: Rokodesh
I don't know about the separation thing. I seem to recall announcers calling out wide open guys that our QBs never saw or made inaccurate throws. I'm sure there were cases of it throughout the year, but I don't feel it was as large as the poor QB play.

Underwood is sorely missed

Excellent coach
He was/is?

Let's see what has happened at Pitt with him as WR/Passing Game Coordinator:

This year, Pitt is ranked 10/14 in Passing with a paltry 220.8 passing yards per game and 12 passing TDs.

Last year they were rated 2/14 with 337 passing yards/game and 44 passing TDs. Yes, they had Kenny Pickett, but this is a quite a decline in performance, especially considering this year's KQ is rated 6th in the ACC. Is it a receivers problem? A protection and OL problem? IDK.

Pitt's recruiting class is currently ranked #60. Zero four or five star recruits. In 2021 it was ranked #21.

Can you shed a little more light on your "excellent coach" comment?

And I promise you, no one besides you and a couple other RU fans cares…. What exactly does ‘he didn’t want to wait’ mean? He took the same job at Georgia. Hate to break this to you, but Rutgers will not reach Georgia’s level in our lifetime
The referenced tweet was about Tiquan, not Fran Brown. You keep referencing the wrong situation. Tiquan was unhappy and took a job at Pitt, and tweeted some negative things on his way out. Fran Brown left under good circumstances and nobody begrudged him for taking the job at Georgia.

Last edited:
You are such a fool. We are talking about Underwood Who went to Pitt Not Georgia.

He was/is?

This year, Pitt is ranked 10/14 in Passing with a paltry 220.8 passing yards per game and 12 passing TDs.

Last year they were rated 2/14 with 337 passing yards/game and 44 passing TDs. Yes, they had Kenny Pickett, but this is a quite a decline in performance, especially considering this year's KQ is rated 6th in the ACC. Is it a receivers problem? A protection and OL problem? IDK.

Pitt's recruiting class is currently ranked #60. Zero four or five star recruits. In 2021 it was ranked #21.

Gee.
Think those declining stats might of had something to do with Kenny Pickett leaving Pitt for the NFL?

Read the fng thread and stop looking like an idiot by making responses that do not relate to the posters point. This is about Underwood not Brown.

He was/is?

Last year's starting QB is in the NFL. Their best WR is at USC. He certainly didn't elevate the remaining personnel.

Guys, maybe Hafley will return once BC cans him. That would fix some recruting issues. And seriously, results have not been good there. It could happen.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He was a malcontent that bad mouthed us on the way out . He wanted more money than he was getting.
Why do you say he was a malcontent? Nothing wrong with feeling you deserve more money. Now it probably came about that the HC didn’t agree and the bitter upset former RU player decided to seek another more lucrative coaching position. Never heard that TU was ever a bitter or malcontent from the time he was here way back.

Why do you say he was a malcontent? Nothing wrong with feeling you deserve more money. Now it probably came about that the HC didn’t agree and the bitter upset former RU player decided to seek another more lucrative coaching position. Never heard that TU was ever a bitter or malcontent from the time he was here way back.
Guess you don’t know the entire story.

Reactions: SF88
Gee.
Think those declining stats might have had something to do with Kenny Pickett leaving Pitt for the NFL?
And our lack of separation could be from losing Bo. No?

Only saying in the years with RU he seemed well adjusted
It happened at the very end of his tenure. As a matter of fact I remember being at the RU basketball game with him there on a recruiting event and I think days later he was gone.

I was specifically citing about his career as a Rutgers player. What transpired after his pro and coaching career I’m not privy to nor care about. That’s between him and maybe Schiano . Sometime you hurt the one you love so the saying goes. TU was an exciting player who I believe received his diploma and will always be remembered for play on the field and not all the other distractions.

I was specifically citing about his career as a Rutgers player. What transpired after his pro and coaching career I’m not privy to nor care about. That’s between him and maybe Schiano . Sometime you hurt the one you love so the saying goes. TU was an exciting player who I believe received his diploma and will always be remembered for play on the field and not all the other distractions.
Yeah no issues on the field as a player , he was awesome and respected .the issue arose when he was a grown man in a coaching position . Didn’t work out for him and he chose greener pastures , which is fine , problem is he turned on RU on his way out . No need for that. Schiano taking high road and said all good things @bout him which is the right thing to do.

Reactions: thegock and SF88
"This year, Pitt is ranked 10/14 in Passing with a paltry 220.8 passing yards per game and 12 passing TDs." It's pretty funny that we use the term "paltry" to describe Pitt's 220 yds. passing per game when we averaged 159 yds. passing per game with 11 tds. this season.If Pitt's passion g game is paltry, what adjective should we use to describe our passing game?

The reason our passing game was bad was because at the beginning of the season our primary QB had a broken hand from which he never really recovered. So to start we were alternating rookie QBs. Then we fired our OC and went to Nunzio and decided on Wimsatt as our QB. If you watched Wimsatt early in the year he just threw bullets or liners. I think when Nunzio took over they tried to change his delivery to put loft on the ball and probably changed some of the plays. This probably threw off Wimsatt and he was all over the place with his throws. Knowing he was having problems throwing teams put 6 to 7 guys in the box and rushed more than 4 which made it worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT