ADVERTISEMENT

Any HS coaches on this board? Opinions on rumored candidates?

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
I think that there are a couple of NJ HS coaches that post here. This is a direct question for you guys.

What do you think about the specific candidates that have been mentioned speculatively?

Schiano
Moorhead
Butch Jones
Jason Candle
Jim Leavitt
Campaniles
Leipold

I think that there are a couple of NJ HS coaches that post here. This is a direct question for you guys.

What do you think about the specific candidates that have been mentioned speculatively?

Schiano
Moorhead
Butch Jones
Jason Candle
Jim Leavitt
Campaniles
Leipold
Leavitt would be a spectacular choice.
He built his own program into a top ten ranking & would be fun to watch

I am a former high school and college coach.
Here are my thoughts:

Schiano - The best choice by far
Moorhead - A good choice, probably 3rd best
Butch Jones - He would be my second choice
Jason Candle - No Jersey ties, difficult task
Jim Leavitt - Too old, no Jersey ties, past time
Campaniles - Too soon, need more seasoning
Leipold - Good recruiter, no Jersey ties

Therefore, my choices would be;

Schiano first
Jones second
Motörhead third

Here are my thoughts:

Schiano first
Jones second
Motörhead third
I'm convinced Schiano doesn't wanna come back here. He knows the difficulty of recruiting for Rutgers. He knows the tepid support from the administration. The small percentage of New Jersey folk at all interested in Rutgers football.
I think he knows the near impossibility of competing with the top teams in our league.

I'm convinced Schiano doesn't wanna come back here. He knows the difficulty of recruiting for Rutgers. He knows the tepid support from the administration. The small percentage of New Jersey folk at all interested in Rutgers football.
I think he knows the near impossibility of competing with the top teams in our league.

You don’t know just how wrong you are.

If that is the case then why was he so hot on getting the Temple job? He went after it both times it was open. Rutgers is a much better job than Temple, doesn't make any sense that he would be interested in Temple last year and have no interest in Rutgers this year.

If that is the case then why was he so hot on getting the Temple job? He went after it both times it was open. Rutgers is a much better job than Temple, doesn't make any sense that he would be interested in Temple last year and have no interest in Rutgers this year.
Did he interview for the temple job?

Reactions: tico brown
Here are my thoughts:

Schiano first
Jones second
Motörhead third
This is the first time I have heard Leipold noted as a good recruiter. Can you elaborate? I thought he was recognized as a very good coach and recruiting was a weak point.

Leverage

Schiano would not come back as long as Barchi was President....Barchi is stepping down....the door is open again.

People do what they have to do when the unemployment checks dry up.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
If Schiano ever wants a head coaching gig again in a P5 conference this is his chance. He is my number 1 with the Campaniles as his coordinators.

A lot of south jersey coaches want the DC from Temple. There is a push to get the NJFCA to endorse him. I like him a lot, and think he will make a great head coach one day, but Rutgers needs someone proven right now.

I like Leipold a lot, like a lot a lot. He is up there in my top.

If Schiano ever wants a head coaching gig again in a P5 conference this is his chance. He is my number 1 with the Campaniles as his coordinators.

A lot of south jersey coaches want the DC from Temple. There is a push to get the NJFCA to endorse him. I like him a lot, and think he will make a great head coach one day, but Rutgers needs someone proven right now.

I think adding Fran Brown as a Co-DC, at a minimum, improves our recruiting results. Have to have south jersey representation on the staff, which was previously missing.

Leipold fits the profile of the coach that Hobbs likes to hire. Wouldn’t be excited but warming up to him. If you can win at Buffalo, you can win anywhere.

There’s interest

Reactions: rutgersal

gef- question for you as a HS coach here in NJ...While Ash was here as HC and you may have . player who is P5 level, what would have been your reasons to tell the kid that Rutgers would be a great place for him? What would be the +/- of Rutgers vs Pitt/Cuse/BC etc . and of Rutgers vs OSU/Mich/Clemson/Bama/Miami etc?

And one more- Temple vs Rutgers under Ash???

Thank you - and ONLY ask because Ash is gone and you could really give a good insight.

Here are my thoughts:

Schiano first
Jones second
Motörhead third
Motorhead? 12 cylinder I hope.

Motorhead? 12 cylinder I hope.
I think he meant this one:
motorhead_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQJoTHvv9hWAiaCwwE8274slwnlAQ9KBHsWhxPMUBPKA.jpg
Mot%C3%B6rhead_-_Mot%C3%B6rhead_%281977%29.jpg

Any thoughts on Norvell?

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'd bet he's champing at the bit to see what he can do with B1G money and new facilities. Plus Barchi's taking a hike.

Schiano will NOT have free reign to do whatever he wants much as was the case last time around. Whether Barchi is gone or not he will still answer to Hobbs or whoever Hobbs has him answer to. Albeit he will head the biggest program he will be one of multiple coaches who all need to coexist.

I really like the idea of Schiano with the Campaniles as coordinators. Sounds perfect to me.
I don’t think Nunzio is ready. I guess we will see a tryout over the next few weeks but this program needs a strong OC that is going to bring a modern offense. I would love to keep him on staff. He could be a future head coach one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: vkj91
Temple has consistently been one if the coaching jobs that spring board you to a good P5 job. It's not a bad job at all.

I don’t Nunzio is ready. I guess we will see a tryout over the next few weeks but this program needs a strong OC that is going to bring a modern offense. I would love to keep him on staff. He could be a future head coach one day.
I don't follow high school football at all...is he Malzahn or Morris or Briles? I mean how many of those are out there and Malzahn and Morris OC'd for a bit at the mid major level (Malzahn 1 year at Ark with that whole Mustain thing) and Briles was position coach for Leach for 3 years. So even they did a little bit of an "apprenticeship" somewhere lower for a bit before moving up.

To me he's someone you'd like to see elevated after he's spent some time with a strong OC (have I said Leach tree) and then if that OC leaves then he could be promoted to see what he can do on his own. If so many were on DM for his lack of experience at that point in his career how do you endorse Campanile at this point in his career or is it just because he's from NJ he gets treated differently. Unless our offense just dazzles in the remainder of the season I don't know how he can be a serious candidate for OC yet...future maybe but right now seems like a big leap.

Inexperienced OC is frankly what killed Ash's chances of making it work here. If he came in with a strong OC, like he should have, we would have not only played better, but we would have had far more player development. He would almost definitely still be coaching.

Do you think Anthony would come here for less than a DC job? Same question for Fran Brown? Also, what about Leipold excites you. It seems clear he can coach, but do you think he can have recruiting success in NJ given his strong midwesterrn ties?

Inexperienced OC is frankly what killed Ash's chances of making it work here. If he came in with a strong OC, like he should have, we would have not only played better, but we would have had far more player development. He would almost definitely still be coaching.
I do think his early poor choices of OC and DC got him off on the wrong foot and he could not recover from that. I was at the UW game in Seattle and shocked at how poor the Offense was because the personnel were not a fit at all for it.

Do you think Anthony would come here for less than a DC job? Same question for Fran Brown? Also, what about Leipold excites you. It seems clear he can coach, but do you think he can have recruiting success in NJ given his strong midwesterrn ties?
Anthony only comes as a DC and brown only leaves for a hc job. We only get one of them.

Leipold seems to have an ability to get kids to buy in and believe. His kids consistently play above their expectations. They buy in and sell out for him.

Anthony only comes as a DC and brown only leaves for a hc job. We only get one of them.

Leipold seems to have an ability to get kids to buy in and believe. His kids consistently play above their expectations. They buy in and sell out for him.
How much is he making at Temple that he’d only leave for a HC job. A P5 DC spot is a ticket to a P5 HC job or G5 at the least. How often is a G5 job given to a G5 coordinator unless it’s an internal promotion. I’d think success here as a DC is a better path to HC.

How much is he making at Temple that he’d only leave for a HC job. A P5 DC spot is a ticket to a P5 HC job or G5 at the least. How often is a G5 job given to a G5 coordinator unless it’s an internal promotion. I’d think success here as a DC is a better path to HC.
Really good point. He is doing an outstanding job there, and is very passionate about it. He is the reason we lost kids to them. His recruiting pitches are elite.

This is the first time I have heard Leipold noted as a good recruiter. Can you elaborate? I thought he was recognized as a very good coach and recruiting was a weak point.

Buffalo is s very tough place to recruit.
Cold weather, not a great location unless you love Wings.

He was able to bring a lot of NFL talent.

It’s just hard to reload there.

It is almost a complete rebuilt every four years.

Reactions: rutgersal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT