ADVERTISEMENT

Any potential of Simpson becoming the next Baker has ended.

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Sadly, he’s just not a consistently decent shooter. Plays fast but trouble finishing around the rim. Did rebound today… but that’s about it.

Reactions: RU MAN and RAC93
One positive, he can actual hit that jumper from inside the top of the key with consistency. That's more than can be said about most of the rest of the team from anywhere on the floor.

One positive, he can actual hit that jumper from inside the top of the key with consistency. That's more than can be said about most of the rest of the team from anywhere on the floor.
He hasn’t hit the midrange jumper with ANY consistency all year. Take a look at his shooting percentage.

The thing is, I don’t think he forced any bad shots today (well maybe one or two when he tried to get all the way to the tin). They were mostly clean looks. But he just doesn’t hit them with any consistency. And it KILLED our offense today.

I don’t understand Simpson at all.
Overall he can play the game of basketball. He knows what he’s doing. I just don’t think I’ve seen someone who misses as much as he does

He hit two meaningless jumpers when the game was over and decided. When the game was on the line and mattered, he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. As the post stated, he’s nowhere near being the next Geo.

This is such a harsh assessment - he's a sophomore. He has the potential to be a very valuable contributor to the team. He may be in a bit of a slump, but I still expect great things from him. We've seen flashes of what he is capable of. Let's face it, no one played great today.

This is such a harsh assessment - he's a sophomore. He has the potential to be a very valuable contributor to the team. He may be in a bit of a slump, but I still expect great things from him. We've seen flashes of what he is capable of. Let's face it, no one played great today.

Agreed no one played good, except one guy….but he jacked up 14 shots when he didn’t really make any of them until the game was already decided. Cliff’s ZERO rebounds, Cliff and Mag combining for ONE rebound, and Simpson’s chucking are what stood out as the worst. Andre Hyatt was good.

Last edited:
his minutes will be reduced drastically next season and he needs to be recruited over in the portal

A semblance of consistency is key to any player being valuable.
The one game out 5 where he’s offensively productive calls for “you were saying” way to much around here.
Do it for 5 consecutive games, hell, how about 2 consecutive

Absolutely, and this is a coaching thing. It’s my one real issue with Pike.
I would blame Pike for not getting us to rebound more effectively

We had a warning when a short St Peters got 15 more than us

Without trying to go down an analytic rabbit hole, that shot at the top of the key is among the least valued shots in basketball. In fact, we generally take way too many 2 pt jump shots.
Didn’t bother the FAU guard Johnell Davis who hit 2 after 2 on his way to 31 points or the FAU guard Gaffney who drove in OT and hit layup after layup off the back board. That was a clinic of a game between 2 of the best teams in the country and but for Caleb love shooting threes from the logo but teams make a ton of 2 point shots. We are shooting horrendously from 2 point range with a number of shots uncontested. It has become an epidemic. If we make our 2 point shots we win today and a lot of days.

Simpson is not a big ten player. He lacks strength agility and shot making. There is a reason he had no other high major offers. he also did not play on an Elite AAU team, which is why we were told he was under recruited, but I think he would’ve been exposed as a lower player if he played At these big tournaments.

His shooting accuracy is similar to the passing accuracy of Wimsatt……neither one is good. He can shoot free throws oddly, but can’t hit field goal attempts. He has an ability based upon what we see with his free throws.

Last edited:
Didn’t bother the FAU guard Johnell Davis who hit 2 after 2 on his way to 31 points or the FAU guard Gaffney who drove in OT and hit layup after layup off the back board. That was a clinic of a game between 2 of the best teams in the country and but for Caleb love shooting threes from the logo but teams make a ton of 2 point shots. We are shooting horrendously from 2 point range with a number of shots uncontested. It has become an epidemic. If we make our 2 point shots we win today and a lot of days.

That’s the thing about analytics. It looks at thousands of games — not a single game or team. But I appreciate that not everyone believes in analytics.

his minutes will be reduced drastically next season and he needs to be recruited over in the portal
You think he'll be here next year? I don't.

They have Dyaln, JaMichael & Jwill all in line for significant minutes. If he can't turn it around I think he'll get the talk and they will pursue another option in the portal.

'25 isn't better for Derek either. Pike is recruiting some elite guards in that class too.

They have Dyaln, JaMichael & Jwill all in line for significant minutes. If he can't turn it around I think he'll get the talk and they will pursue another option in the portal.

'25 isn't better for Derek either. Pike is recruiting some elite guards in that class too.

Oh I dont disgree with this

Reactions: biazza38
One positive, he can actual hit that jumper from inside the top of the key with consistency. That's more than can be said about most of the rest of the team from anywhere on the

It’s playing with his head now I think

Without trying to go down an analytic rabbit hole, that shot at the top of the key is among the least valued shots in basketball. In fact, we generally take way too many 2 pt jump shots.
Not if you can hit 70% of them, and he will do that. San Diego State and Florida Atlantic rode the mid range jumper to the final four last year. Simpson is a decent defender, he rebounds, and he is very good in the press. On the other hand, Fernandez gives you almost nothing. I was at the game today. It was obvious to me he's in over his head. Most posters didn't like that Cam couldn't create his own shot. Well Fernandez is way worse at that than Cam was, and he can't defend much either. B1G guards will eat him alive. Simpson is missing shots, but he's getting them, and he will get better. Fernandez is too small and not quick enough for his size, nor will he get much better at his age. JD and Simpson are our best starting back court. Fernandez needs to get the least number of minutes of the three.

Not if you can hit 70% of them, and he will do that. San Diego State and Florida Atlantic rode the mid range jumper to the final four last year. Simpson is a decent defender, he rebounds, and he is very good in the press. On the other hand, Fernandez gives you almost nothing. I was at the game today. It was obvious to me he's in over his head. Most posters didn't like that Cam couldn't create his own shot. Well Fernandez is way worse at that than Cam was, and he can't defend much either. B1G guards will eat him alive. Simpson is missing shots, but he's getting them, and he will get better. Fernandez is too small and not quick enough for his size, nor will he get much better at his age. JD and Simpson are our best starting back court. Fernandez needs to get the least number of minutes of the three.

Appreciate the take, but I don’t agree. I think some fans vastly overrate what Simpson did last year. I thought he was highly inefficient and only scored those few games late in the year because he was volume shooting. I didn’t expect much from him this year and I really don’t see a role for him in ‘24. But, to be clear, I’ve met him a few times and he’s a great kid — very polite, funny, etc. I am 100% pulling for him and hope that he proves me wrong.

Elaborate please
I'm speculating the the going all in factor on the big 2 will not have the recruiting impact it's intended to have. Greene would rather us spread the wealth in the portal and continue to develop talent instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

The comparison for me is a MLB team going all in and giving out a massive contract only to know the last 2-3 years are gonna suck. Can we rebound in 2025 after we lose our 2 best players to the NBA? I think it's a valid concern but you have to grab for the ring when you get a chance. I doubt we'll ever be in this situation again in my lifetime. A big donor needs to step up for a NIL deal for a stud 5 next season to truly give us a shot at a natty.

No one hits 70% of them. The best midrange shooters in the NBA don't even come close to hitting 70% of them. That's fantasy land.

Reactions: winfield102
Sadly, he’s just not a consistently decent shooter. Plays fast but trouble finishing around the rim. Did rebound today… but that’s about it.
LOL...I thought his inconsistency matched up perfectly with the Baker analogies.

• Haha
Reactions: Rhuarc
Simpson is not a big ten player. He lacks strength agility and shot making. There is a reason he had no other high major offers. he also did not play on an Elite AAU team, which is why we were told he was under recruited, but I think he would’ve been exposed as a lower player if he played At these big tournaments.
He’s as good as other Big10 backups and can play D. He’s not a good shooter, same as almost everyone else. If wasn’t missing shots, someone else would have been missing shots.

It doesn’t matter who shoots the ball. They are poor shooters. To make up for that, Pike wants fast-paced street ball. Very different style of play than a good shooting team employs.

I don’t understand Simpson at all.
Overall he can play the game of basketball. He knows what he’s doing. I just don’t think I’ve seen someone who misses as much as he does
He has so many shots that just seem to have reverse touch on them. His shots never seem to go in and they bounce out around the rim - it's almost like he is perpetually shooting at a carnival rim that is rigged to always lose - it's uncanny. I love how he creates his shot and everything looks good - except somebody is poking a Simpson voodoo doll. Sometimes he is out of control, dont get me wrong, but man this guy has some bad luck.

Agreed no one played good, except one guy….but he jacked up 14 shots when he didn’t really make any of them until the game was already decided. Cliff’s ZERO rebounds, Cliff and Mag combining for ONE rebound, and Simpson’s chucking are what stood out as the worst. Andre Hyatt was good.
Bad stat line no doubt, but far from ready to dismiss him. Especially on a team that desperately needs him or Gavin to break out.

Reactions: goru7
Unless He REALLY improves he cant be more than a guy who gives you more than 10-15 MPG if you want to be the team fans expect next year.

He plays the exact position of Dylan Harper
If Dylan Harper plays and takes the same 14 shots Derek missed almost all uncontested we win by 10 points. It is not that Dylan is elite and he is , but that those shots were basically uncontested and half of them would have stopped our droughts. He wasn’t passing to the bigs , to Hyatt or Gavin. , which again with Dylan , Hyatt might have had 30 yesterday. Again , the guards must be pass first point guards but when wide open hit their damn shots. The other sophomores in the BIG 10 have stepped up , just so so disappointing Derek has not

No one hits 70% of them. The best midrange shooters in the NBA don't even come close to hitting 70% of them. That's fantasy land.
Simpson shoots over 80% from the line (15 feet). His mid range shots are taken from a lesser distance where he is usually wide open because of his elite quickness. He's capable of shooting 70% from 10 feet. If you watched Florida Atlantic and San Diego State in the final four last year, it was their mid range game that got them there. Forget the NBA - with colleges emphasizing defending the rim, rotating to the ball, and three point closeouts, it leaves the mid range game wide open. As the game evolves the mid range game will become as important as the three point shot became when it was introduced. As players became better three point shooters, they will become better mid range shooters. You'll see.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT