ADVERTISEMENT

Any potential of Simpson becoming the next Baker has ended.

I don't even want to discuss Simpson because I feel it isn't fair to the kid. Even during his stretches of good play his game looks out of control to me. Davis has had more composure from the very first game..

Simpson shoots over 80% from the line (15 feet). His mid range shots are taken from a lesser distance where he is usually wide open because of his elite quickness. He's capable of shooting 70% from 10 feet. If you watched Florida Atlantic and San Diego State in the final four last year, it was their mid range game that got them there. Forget the NBA - with colleges emphasizing defending the rim, rotating to the ball, and three point closeouts, it leaves the mid range game wide open. As the game evolves the mid range game will become as important as the three point shot became when it was introduced. As players became better three point shooters, they will become better mid range shooters. You'll see.
Your numbers are crazy town - saying Simpson is capable of shooting 70% from 2 Pt. because he shoots uncontested free throws at 80%??? NO! Best NBA FG% shooter is barely over 70% and then there are 6 behind him who are in the 60s - everyone else in the NBA is in the 50s and below. This isn't even taking into account these are all big men who get pretty much all of their points a couple feet from the rim and on dunks. Simpson is a skinny guard and not getting a good portion of his points on open dunks. You are WAY off and completely unrealistic on your 2Pt FG% projections for a guard.

If Dylan Harper plays and takes the same 14 shots Derek missed almost all uncontested we win by 10 points.
Stop it. The 2022 Gavin who was a fictional player playing in HS would have made all 14 too.

I will say this over and over playing offense in a heart rate zone 20-30 BPM changes everything! Gavin, Dylan and Ace are taking off on defense and exerting little energy. That changes when you play for RU.

Reactions: RAC93
Simpson and Fernandes are both not shooting well enough to win games in the B1G. You combine that with the rebounding problems, and you can see why Wake, Illinois, and MSU were 10+ losses.

RU beat SHU because Fernandes shot the ball well and the rebounding was close.

Simpson shoots over 80% from the line (15 feet). His mid range shots are taken from a lesser distance where he is usually wide open because of his elite quickness. He's capable of shooting 70% from 10 feet. If you watched Florida Atlantic and San Diego State in the final four last year, it was their mid range game that got them there. Forget the NBA - with colleges emphasizing defending the rim, rotating to the ball, and three point closeouts, it leaves the mid range game wide open. As the game evolves the mid range game will become as important as the three point shot became when it was introduced. As players became better three point shooters, they will become better mid range shooters. You'll see.

There is so much wrong with this.

First, a mid-range shot is in no way the same as a free throw, which is a set shot under controlled conditions that you can take at your own pace.

Second, the shots Simpson was taking were 15-18 feet, not 10 feet.

Third, no one, not even the best professional basketball players in the world, shoot 70% from the mid-range. That's a complete fantasy.

Fourth, the mid-range is open for a reason. Teams WANT you to take mid-range jumpers, which is why it is less guarded. That shot will almost always be available - which is why it's generally only taken later in the shot clock when other options have been closed off, not early in the shot clock as a first option. For good shooters, a 22 ft shot is not significantly lower in % than a 15-18 foot shot, but it is worth 50% more points. By contrast, a 5 foot shot is worth the same as a 15-18 foot shot, but is a much higher %.

Last edited:
There's a reason why the kid was not highly rated. Stars aren't everything, but they do mean something. Needs to transfer to a lower-tier DI school.

It’s not just Simpson. This team lacks consistent shooters and the team doesn’t play defense like they have the last 5 years. It’s a bad combo.

Goru,

Last 2 games Dylan Harper 19-49 from field and 0-13 from 3. He isnt a NBA jam guy that never misses.

Stop it. The 2022 Gavin who was a fictional player playing in HS would have made all 14 too.

I will say this over and over playing offense in a heart rate zone 20-30 BPM changes everything! Gavin, Dylan and Ace are taking off on defense and exerting little energy. That changes when you play for RU.
You are from Missouri . Okay. If you cannot see the difference on tape of Dylan and Ace compared to Gavin’s tape , then you need your eyes checked . Gavin is overwhelmed at some of the stuff he has seen. Dylan and Ace will dominant what they will see. You of all people will be marveling of how smart and good a passer Dylan is and scratching your head and saying there is the Gavin shooting we saw in high school. Dylan , Ace , Lathan will make everybody better because they have complete games. Not one thing they do well but 5 things they do well.

Reactions: Scangg and zappaa
There is so much wrong with this.

First, a mid-range shot is in no way the same as a free throw, which is a set shot under controlled conditions that you can take at your own pace.

Second, the shots Simpson was taking were 15-18 feet, not 10 feet.

Third, no one, not even the best professional basketball players in the world, shoot 70% from the mid-range. That's a complete fantasy.

Fourth, the mid-range is open for a reason. Teams WANT you to take mid-range jumpers, which is why it is less guarded. That shot will almost always be available - which is why it's generally only taken later in the shot clock when other options have been closed off, not early in the shot clock as a first option. For good shooters, a 22 ft shot is not significantly lower in % than a 15-18 foot shot, but it is worth 50% more points. By contrast, a 5 foot shot is worth the same as a 15-18 foot shot, but is a much higher %.
Generally agree but last night Simpson had crazy good looks even from 3 and he just couldn’t knock em down. At some point you need to make shots. We had tons of good looks and it was brick city. Bigger issue is rebounding though. You can’t get out rebounded by 15 a game and expect to win.

Nah Geo could get hot and was usually money on his step back
oh absolutely. if you look over his game by game stats , especially the last two years you will find inconsistency. That's all. No hate. Especially given his fine post career commitment to Rutgers. Good man.

Goru,

Last 2 games Dylan Harper 19-49 from field and 0-13 from 3. He isnt a NBA jam guy that never misses.
I'm not necessarily taking issue with your point, but for the sake of accuracy, you left out a game in between the two games you used stats from.

After shooting 11-17 FG , 4-8 3PT, and 2-2 FT in the win over McEachern on Tuesday, Dylan didn't shoot well in Bosco's close loss to City of Palms Tournament runner up Long Island Lutheran on Wednesday (7-25 FG, 0-7 3PT 10-13FT, which you included), (and whether it affected him or not, he was having some issues with his leg), but then in Bosco's win over Christopher Columbus and the Boozer twins (the game you skipped) he shot 12-23 FG, 4-8 3PT, 10-10 FT. Then in Bosco's final win over IMG Academy which you included, he shot 12-24 FG, 0-6 3PT, 9-11 FT.

So just to be accurate, in his last 2 games he actually shot 24-47 FG (not 19-49), 4-14 3PT (not 0-13) and 19-21 FT.

I'm not necessarily taking issue with your point, but for the sake of accuracy, you left out a game in between the two games you used stats from.

After shooting 11-17 FG , 4-8 3PT, and 2-2 FT in the win over McEachern on Tuesday, Dylan didn't shoot well in Bosco's close loss to City of Palms Tournament runner up Long Island Lutheran on Wednesday (7-25 FG, 0-7 3PT 10-13FT, which you included), (and whether it affected him or not, he was having some issues with his leg), but then in Bosco's win over Christopher Columbus and the Boozer twins (the game you skipped) he shot 12-23 FG, 4-8 3PT, 10-10 FT. Then in Bosco's final win over IMG Academy which you included, he shot 12-24 FG, 0-6 3PT, 9-11 FT.

So just to be accurate, in his last 2 games he actually shot 24-47 FG (not 19-49), 4-14 3PT (not 0-13) and 19-21 FT.
thats a bad mistake in presentation of stats. thanks for pointing it out and i will take a lap.

There will never be another Geo much like there will never be another RHJ, Myles Johnson, Mathis, etc.

They’re all individuals on their own path.

Didn’t Geo bulk up quite a bit after his freshman year? Simpson doesn’t appear like he added any weight.

He played 4 games?

Your numbers are crazy town - saying Simpson is capable of shooting 70% from 2 Pt. because he shoots uncontested free throws at 80%??? NO! Best NBA FG% shooter is barely over 70% and then there are 6 behind him who are in the 60s - everyone else in the NBA is in the 50s and below. This isn't even taking into account these are all big men who get pretty much all of their points a couple feet from the rim and on dunks. Simpson is a skinny guard and not getting a good portion of his points on open dunks. You are WAY off and completely unrealistic on your 2Pt FG% projections for a guard.
Read again - I didn't say from two point range. He'll never shoot 70% from two point range. I'm not talking about his layups that are often contested. I'm only talking about when he breaks down his defender and gets that wide open 8-10 foot jump shot in the lane. He's capable of hitting that at a 70% clip. That shot is almost never contested.

Read again - I didn't say from two point range. He'll never shoot 70% from two point range. I'm not talking about his layups that are often contested. I'm only talking about when he breaks down his defender and gets that wide open 8-10 foot jump shot in the lane. He's capable of hitting that at a 70% clip. That shot is almost never contested.

70% is way too high, not a realistic percentage for him on a wide open 8-10 foot jump shot in the lane. I disagree, he’s not capable of 70%. Maybe later in his career if he improves, but right now he is not capable of that percentage. I’ll give you maybe that he is capable of 50% or so right now, but not 70%. His shot needs to improve for that to be realistic.

Still a fantasy.

Plus, he doesn't take 8-10ft shots, he takes them at 15+ at the elbow or foul line extended.

The 15-20 foot shot isn't contested because it's not much better fg% than a 3, but worth a third fewer points.

Name a player at the college or professional level who hits 70% from 15 ft.

I'm speculating the the going all in factor on the big 2 will not have the recruiting impact it's intended to have. Greene would rather us spread the wealth in the portal and continue to develop talent instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

The comparison for me is a MLB team going all in and giving out a massive contract only to know the last 2-3 years are gonna suck. Can we rebound in 2025 after we lose our 2 best players to the NBA? I think it's a valid concern but you have to grab for the ring when you get a chance. I doubt we'll ever be in this situation again in my lifetime. A big donor needs to step up for a NIL deal for a stud 5 next season to truly give us a shot at a natty.
That’s not a great comparison to me. This isn’t MLB, money doesn’t stay tied up in Dylan and Ace after they leave at the end of next year.

We also have three other guys coming in the same class as them who we would normally be super excited about in Sommerville, Dortch and Grant. Those guys will (hopefully) still be here after Dylan and Ace leave and probably become the core we build around. What remains to be seen is what we bring in to join them in 2025.

Simpson is a blossoming player who could have a good career.

Geo was a special player and as clutch as has been at RU in some time. Not fair to compare the two basketball wise. Never will be close, even after a 20+ pt game from Simpson.

Let the kid be himself. He's playing on a B10 team and should enjoy that opportunity without having it measure up to someone else.

Simpson is a blossoming player who could have a good career.

Geo was a special player and as clutch as has been at RU in some time. Not fair to compare the two basketball wise. Never will be close, even after a 20+ pt game from Simpson.

Let the kid be himself. He's playing on a B10 team and should enjoy that opportunity without having it measure up to someone else.
Simpson is wearing Geo’s number and made the reference to Geo himself. That’s where it comes from.

Reactions: SBP
Simpson has great speed.
He plays pretty good darn good D.
He is a good foul shooter.
For those reasons alone, we can’t give up on him.
He basically won the Indiana game last year as a freshman.
Thought he would have put on more muscle but he could still be an integral part this year and the next years. Do you want JMichael shooting shots end game?

Reactions: RU-ROCS
The problem with Simpson for next season is his poor shooting. From a roster construction perspective we need guards who can shoot surrounding Dylan Ace and Gavin who the offense should be running through basically every possession

Williams reportedly isn't a shooter. Davis is TBD but probably not a sniper. Simpson is subpar at best

We need players who can knock down open shots to make teams pay when they help on Dylan and Ace. We need floor spacers to give these studs room to operate.

If Simpson is on the court, I'd just tell his man to double every time and make Simpson shoot. Every outside shot Simpson takes is a shot Dylan Ace Gavin isn't taking. That's a win for the other team

Even off the dribble... do we really want Simpson trying to get to the rim? Or the ball in Dylan Ace Gavin's hands trying to score? Can Simpson create for others better than Davis or Williams? I'd say no

Reactions: SBP
Simpson has great speed.
He plays pretty good darn good D.
He is a good foul shooter.
For those reasons alone, we can’t give up on him.
He basically won the Indiana game last year as a freshman.
Thought he would have put on more muscle but he could still be an integral part this year and the next years. Do you want JMichael shooting shots end game?
I’ll take my chances with JMike. He can drive very effectively and is a much better passer. I hope Simpson finds his stroke

Reactions: Scangg
I’ll take my chances with JMike. He can drive very effectively and is a much better passer. I hope Simpson finds his stroke
Simpson quicker and better D and foul shooter. Room for both. I hope JMike can hit a foul shot.

The problem with Simpson for next season is his poor shooting. From a roster construction perspective we need guards who can shoot surrounding Dylan Ace and Gavin who the offense should be running through basically every possession

Williams reportedly isn't a shooter. Davis is TBD but probably not a sniper. Simpson is subpar at best

We need players who can knock down open shots to make teams pay when they help on Dylan and Ace. We need floor spacers to give these studs room to operate.

If Simpson is on the court, I'd just tell his man to double every time and make Simpson shoot. Every outside shot Simpson takes is a shot Dylan Ace Gavin isn't taking. That's a win for the other team

Even off the dribble... do we really want Simpson trying to get to the rim? Or the ball in Dylan Ace Gavin's hands trying to score? Can Simpson create for others better than Davis or Williams? I'd say no
He doesn’t need to be a shooter for ‘roster construction’ if he’s mostly a backup for Dylan. Same goes for Davis.

But yeah, neither Simpson nor Davis should be starters if DH is the PG.

We may see opening day starters of Dylan 1, Gavin 2, Ace 3, Mag 4, Lathan 5. And a bench that includes JMike, Derek, Jeremiah, Grant, Dortch, Woolf, Ogbole, and Chol.

However, I’d anticipate anywhere from one to three guys transferring, which will give Pike open schollies he can use to fill positions of need out of the portal.

My thoughts on how this could end up playing out is definitely not shared by many/any.

Guard recruiting for the class of 2025 looks very good

Think we will be very “recruit “ talented in 2025-2026, but very young (soph and frosh dominates with Gavin and Jmike )

A mature Simpson helps this a lot …but I have concerns

It's very strange that one or two games haw scared the RU fans away. If there was no improvement from year to year, then I would understand the thought process.

This is based on solely the Mississippi State game and a tough loss.

What player starts their career shooting 50% from the field, 40% from 3, 80% from the line AND plays pretty good on the ball defense, 10 games or so into their sophomore season??

The last 5 games are

9-36 from the field
1-10 from 3
14 rebounds
11 assists
6 turnovers
8 steals
Almost 6PPG
23 MPG

As a 5 game sample size, I wanna believe there have been very similar sections of games in recent years, that this kinda mirrors. Whether it was Geo Baker, Montez Mathis, Jacob Young, Paul Mulcahy, Cam Spencer or anyone further back.

I also know that once we get beyond the stat line, if you get a 2 to 1 assists/TO ratio and at least a steal or 2 a game, there's upside to Simpson being on the floor.

The staff also recognizes that there are gaps within any overall backcourt and there's a reason why we recruited JaMicheal Davis and ultimately Jeremiah Williams as additional options, to go with Gavin Griffiths as backcourt. Adding Dylan Harper to that mix, gives RU plenty of options into 2024-25.

I'm not quite sure there is a better shooting option to pair with Dylan Harper, than Gavin Griffiths.....and also not sure there's a guard with some game experience at the college level, who can defend and do a little bit of everything, than Jeremiah Williams.

The gaps with the RU roster, kinda land with the front court beyond this year. I still don't know what we have in Woolfolk as a 4 or backup 5......Ogbole is ultimately a true 5......

I like Sommerville and his offense and options playing with guards like Simpson, Davis, but we need front court finishers at the forward position, beyond Ace Bailey. I feel like Dortch and Dylan Grant are athletic enough, to compliment Simpson and Davis (and Dylan Harper) when they're on the court.

Simpson is in a competitive environment and backcourt. I feel very confident that he will improve a lot between Nov-;December 2023 to Nov - Dec 2024.

Reactions: RU84
It's very strange that one or two games haw scared the RU fans away. If there was no improvement from year to year, then I would understand the thought process.

This is based on solely the Mississippi State game and a tough loss.

What player starts their career shooting 50% from the field, 40% from 3, 80% from the line AND plays pretty good on the ball defense, 10 games or so into their sophomore season??

The last 5 games are

9-36 from the field
1-10 from 3
14 rebounds
11 assists
6 turnovers
8 steals
Almost 6PPG
23 MPG

As a 5 game sample size, I wanna believe there have been very similar sections of games in recent years, that this kinda mirrors. Whether it was Geo Baker, Montez Mathis, Jacob Young, Paul Mulcahy, Cam Spencer or anyone further back.

I also know that once we get beyond the stat line, if you get a 2 to 1 assists/TO ratio and at least a steal or 2 a game, there's upside to Simpson being on the floor.

The staff also recognizes that there are gaps within any overall backcourt and there's a reason why we recruited JaMicheal Davis and ultimately Jeremiah Williams as additional options, to go with Gavin Griffiths as backcourt. Adding Dylan Harper to that mix, gives RU plenty of options into 2024-25.

I'm not quite sure there is a better shooting option to pair with Dylan Harper, than Gavin Griffiths.....and also not sure there's a guard with some game experience at the college level, who can defend and do a little bit of everything, than Jeremiah Williams.

The gaps with the RU roster, kinda land with the front court beyond this year. I still don't know what we have in Woolfolk as a 4 or backup 5......Ogbole is ultimately a true 5......

I like Sommerville and his offense and options playing with guards like Simpson, Davis, but we need front court finishers at the forward position, beyond Ace Bailey. I feel like Dortch and Dylan Grant are athletic enough, to compliment Simpson and Davis (and Dylan Harper) when they're on the court.

Simpson is in a competitive environment and backcourt. I feel very confident that he will improve a lot between Nov-;December 2023 to Nov - Dec 2024.
Hope so. It’s much needed..

Assuming the 40% from 3 is due to very few attempts?

To me, he’s an open court, transition game player who doesn’t have half court game strengths. Not a good passer (weak PG) and he’s not a good shooter.

I also have the sense that he’s forcing shots to keep up in the box score with Davis. Simpson seems like the most selfish player on the team, IMO.

Funny how some fans jump on and off players based on “what have you done for me lately” and are quick to sour on players with upside if they don’t pop right out of the gate.
The OP is already writing off Simpson as not matching Geo a handful of games into his sophomore season. First off Geo was a starter from day one who was given the keys to the car his sophomore year. He averaged 34 mpg to Simpson's 23. If you extrapolate Simpson’s mpg to match Geo’s his stats are pretty much the same. Yes Geo had a better shooting pct but Simpson is a better free throw shooter. I’m optimistic as time goes on Simpson’s shooting and overall game will continue to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT