ADVERTISEMENT

My Roster Review (including Pike) To Date: Plus Remedy for NEXT year (initials are JY)

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
I've kept quiet, waiting for the roster to gel. Obviously, that has not happened and shows no sign OF happening. So here we go.

Cliff - not going to even go there.
Griffiths - our five star shooter can't shoot, pass or rebound
Simpson - out of control. Not a Geo nor Jacob Young clone.
Fernandes - doesn't come close to making others better around him; even coming off an injury I expected more from a veteran guard
Davis - has definitely shown some spurts but counting on him too much as a freshman guard
Chol - for the all the hype as to how much he's improved can't even find one minute to play
Palmquist - he was near the end of the bench last year for a reason and is essentially the same guy
Woolfolk - he looked so much better at the beginning of the year but has regressed. Not a good rebounder that a guy his size and build should be. Very limited offensively.
Austin Williams - ? He's been hurt but even when he's played he's added essentially nothing.
Hyatt - can still drive you nuts sometimes but is the only one who's been even close to consistent this year.

Pike - yes, assuming Harper still signs (did he sign his LOI secretly before? I sure as hell hope so or that our play this year won't impact his commitment) he proved that he can recruit. However, he has whiffed so badly on MANY other recruits that never belonged at this level. Reiber. Palmquist. Chol. Simpson and Woolfolk might have value as reserves but certainly aren't adding anything this year. Plus, a bad year this year might hurt us for 25. He's been outcoached - exponentially so - in all four of our losses this year. We lack toughness, grit . . . and that's on coach.

I'll keep watching and hoping against all empirical evidence that we will magically improve this year and dance, and I'll come eat crow if that happens. And certainly expectations will be raised next year but I think something needs to change coaching wise. And that's why Pike has to jettison one of the coaches not named Brandin Knight and bring back Jay Young. Not sure what happened at Fairfield and I know he's not a standout recruiter, but he can teach big men and defense.

I agree about the players. But I think these were the players the staff could get to come to RU at that time. Sometimes you win with under rated recruits sometimes you lose. Nil has helped but until then we remain positive. Last year the coaches made something out of a roster I didn't think looked good at all in the beginning of the year. That team eventually became good until mag went down..

Reactions: RAC93
We got gutted in the portal and literally added bodies just to make a roster. We were an NIT last year and got worse additions, not sure why everyone is so surprised we are bad.

80% of this roster needs to graduate and be cut, bring in the freshman, hit the portal and lets roll in 2024-25.

I agree about the players. But I think these were the players the staff could get to come to RU at that time. Sometimes you win with under rated recruits sometimes you lose. Nil has helped but until then we remain positive. Last year the coaches made something out of a roster I didn't think looked good at all in the beginning of the year. That team eventually became good until mag went down..
The staff has to take some blame for Cam and Paul leaving. If Cam was happy at Rutgers and just left for money he would have asked Pike if he would counter offer. He did not. And with Paul, I've always believed someone on the staff influenced him not to take Paul back. Although I have absolutely no knowledge I'm just guessing it was Knight, as none of the other assistants have been their long enough to exert such influence, and I don't see Pike turning on a kid he praised for four years and recruited since the ninth grade - too good a guy.

If we don't make the sweet 16 next year or 25/26 recruiting isn't as strong and don't make a deep run I think it's time for a change

THIS is easily the stupidest post in the history of this board. It’s not even close. And there is stiff competition as there are dumb posts made every day. But none even compare in pure stupidity and insanity to THIS post.

🎊🍾🎈🎉 congratulations 🎊🍾🎈🎉

THIS is easily the stupidest post in the history of this board. It’s not even close. And there is stiff competition as there are dumb posts made every day. But none even compare in pure stupidity and insanity to THIS post.

Disagree. Pike has one tournament win in six years (excluding COVID) and we are coming off a first round NIT loss last year. Looks like NIT at best this year. If we don't make a Sweet 16 next year or win a tournament game in 25/26 then we should consider coaching options. I liked the hire as he had success as a HC at a lower level and has brought RU to respectability but 16 teams a year make the S16, can't we be one of them every ten years or so?

Disagree. Pike has one tournament win in six years (excluding COVID) and we are coming off a first round NIT loss last year. Looks like NIT at best this year. If we don't make a Sweet 16 next year or win a tournament game in 25/26 then we should consider coaching options. I liked the hire as he had success as a HC at a lower level and has brought RU to respectability but 16 teams a year make the S16, can't we be one of them every ten years or so?

the guy has the BEST RECRUITING CLASS IN THE HISTORY OF THE PROGRAM coming in, the #2 and #3 recruits in the country (with a number of other VERY SOLID recruits in Sommerville, Grant and Dortch), a top-3 recruiting class - up there with Duke and Kentucky. .....this after he brought us up from the ABSOLUTE DEPTHS OF THE COLLEGE BASKETBALL BASEMENT.

you seriously cant understand the insanity of making such a post at this time?

you and the other guy just offer a whole bunch of "IFs" a few years down the road , just insanely stupid. even the other guys "IFs" are insane:

IF we "don't make the sweet 16 next year" - considering that all of these recruits will be FRESHMAN next year. While I would think an NCAA team should be expected - there is ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE that we will make the Sweet 16 (let alone the Final 4...which is an insanely unrealistic expectation with a bunch of freshmen). teams with talent similar to we will have next year fail to make the sweet 16. every single year talented teams dont make it. and a young team will be particularly vulnerable to an upset. as RU fans we are going to be expecting too much cuase we simply arent used to having lots of talent.

or IF the "25/26 recruiting isn't as strong" - so this guy thinks that Pike should be canned if he doesnt follow up with another TOP 3 RECRUITING CLASS??!?!?! wow. talk about moving the goal post!!!!

just insanely stupid. every word.

why dont you guys just enjoy whats in-store for RU's future?! next year should be a uniquely fun time at the RAC with talent we havent had ever (or atleast since the 70s).

your posts, at this time, are insane.

the expectations you guys have are unrealistic and insane (e.g., Pike must follow up with a similar top 3 class or be canned).

these post just scream troll, someone with an anti-Pike agenda and/or someone who just enjoys being miserable.

Last edited:
I showed this post to a couple of my buds....and I think they're still laughing.
Quote:
"Why are some Rutgers fans the last to recognize the magnitude of what Pikiell has done with the 2024 recruiting class ?"
If we don't make the sweet 16 next year or 25/26 recruiting isn't as strong and don't make a deep run I think it's time for a change
They laughed even harder at tbis one.

I wouldn't go that far. There have been more stupid posts. I would say that if we don't win at least one tournament game and end up having two players drafted in the first round then there probably should be some change of staff considerations. I think we already need an offensive minded assistant who can teach solid fundamentals. Former NBA players and AAU guys usually don't cut it there.

Pike dramatically changed the perception of the program after Jordan nearly killed it. He’s been excellent for this program. IMO, he’s never been a great game coach and his offense has been pretty awful throughout. He’s been successful in finding under-the-radar guys but has also had more than his share of flop recruits. The perception that he can’t recruit (which was true early on), has been turned upside down and on its ear big time. Who in their right mind would have ever thought Rutgers would ever have on of the top 3 classes in the country?

All of that being said, a realistic goal for next season might be the Sweet 16 (provided the core is kept and perhaps a solid portal player is added.) However, there is also a VERY realistic chance that this will not happen when you are depending freshmen and sophomores. Regardless, Pike isn’t going anywhere.

That is one more NCAA win than anyone else who has coached here in the past 40 years . . .

You have to go back almost 50 years now to see Rutgers being extremely successful. Add to that our arena (when empty) is underwhelming and outdated, our reputation over decades of recent history has been terrible, and when was the last time we had a star coming out of our program?. Thank your lucky stars Pike is here. We all love Rutgers, but it's easy to forget this is probably one of the most difficult places to recruit out of and win in the P5 for various reasons.

Last edited:
Lou, your glass-half-empty take can apply to MSt too:

- Bad loss at home, to a lousy Southern U team
- Super frosh Hubbard held to 2pts by RU defense
- Shooting from the arc a poor 4-16 against RU
- Gave up too many open looks to RU
- Turn the ball over too much, every game
- Shot less than 50% from 2-pt range against RU
- Foul shooting covers up poor shooting overall
- MSt coach has 1 bad loss, RU coach has none.

One of Pike’s largest flaws is that it takes him so long to get the proper lineup out there.

I’ve posted this in years past, but I’m not sure if it’s:

A. He intentionally gives guys a longer leash to gain a larger sample size

B. It just doesn’t click for him until later

With that said, he almost always seems to figure it out as the season goes along.

It’s clear as day Fernandes doesn’t belong on the court vs P5 opponents. Let’s see how long it takes for him to limit NF’s minutes

Reactions: bac2therac
Man some people just love coaching searches I guess. If we don’t make a bowl next season it might be time to make a change too lol

Don't think HC Pike is anywhere close to being on a hot seat or in jeopardy.

Also, absolutely having top recruits doesn't guarantee success or a Sweet 16 team.

Having said that- if any other team had the #2 and #3 recruits, multiple 1st round draft picks and didn't make the Sweet 16, many here would absolutely call the team and HC a failure for wasting elite talent.

Literally happened on this board earlier this year with Duke and Michigan.

Reactions: bac2therac
Don't think HC Pike is anywhere close to being on a hot seat or in jeopardy.

Also, absolutely having top recruits doesn't guarantee success or a Sweet 16 team.

Having said that- if any other team had the #2 and #3 recruits, multiple 1st round draft picks and didn't make the Sweet 16, many here would absolutely call the team and HC a failure for wasting elite talent.

Literally happened on this board earlier this year with Duke and Michigan.

agree with this, Pike isnt even close to any hot seat HOWEVER he is under INTENSE PRESSURE to produce next year with #2 and #3 and if you are going to dance that way in recruiting, it is more than fair to put lofty expectations so its a big test for him and he has no track record yet with these types of players

Failure to win multiple NCAA games with the top recruiting class in school history and the third best in the NCAA for 2024 would result in fans questioning when Rutgers will ever be a college basketball program successful in tournament play.The pressure on the players and coaching will be as high as the final four team .Success/failure will impact future recruiting classes.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
Failure to win multiple NCAA games with the top recruiting class in school history and the third best in the NCAA for 2024 would result in fans questioning when Rutgers will ever be a college basketball program successful in tournament play.The pressure on the players and coaching will be as high as the final four team .Success/failure will impact future recruiting classes.
The result of an individual game does not mean that much. It would be better to have a 3 seed and lose in the first round to a 14 than to barely sneak into the tournament and then make the sweet sixteen.

agree with this, Pike isnt even close to any hot seat HOWEVER he is under INTENSE PRESSURE to produce next year with #2 and #3 and if you are going to dance that way in recruiting, it is more than fair to put lofty expectations so its a big test for him and he has no track record yet with these types of players
Pike's contract guarantees him tens of millions through 2031. He is not going anywhere, no matter the results, until the 2030s.

People who post this nonsense should be put on permanent ban … utter stupidity about Schiano then Pikiell.

Why don’t we relax and see how it all plays out. Could be wonderful, could be terrible, but no reason to worry about anything now.

Or it will start questioning whether Pike isnt forming a roster to the strengths of his coaching staff and how the program was built

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
Or it will start questioning whether Pike isnt forming a roster to the strengths of his coaching staff and how the program was built
I believe that's already happening. Fans do not need the lack of an extended tourney run to question almost every aspect of the coach, recruits, players, usage, AD, program, facilities, donations etc. Its pretty much what fans do naturally almost every day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT