ADVERTISEMENT

Any potential of Simpson becoming the next Baker has ended.

Funny how some fans jump on and off players based on “what have you done for me lately” and are quick to sour on players with upside if they don’t pop right out of the gate.
The OP is already writing off Simpson as not matching Geo a handful of games into his sophomore season. First off Geo was a starter from day one who was given the keys to the car his sophomore year. He averaged 34 mpg to Simpson's 23. If you extrapolate Simpson’s mpg to match Geo’s his stats are pretty much the same. Yes Geo had a better shooting pct but Simpson is a better free throw shooter. I’m optimistic as time goes on Simpson’s shooting and overall game will continue to improve.
Good points, but players don’t become better shooters by the time they get to college. Either they can or they can’t. I’d put Simpson in the latter category. He does have valuable strengths and can contribute, but he will never be a good shooter.

Can’t improve his shooting? His 3 pt shooting pct is up 50% this year and his FT % is also up. I’m optimistic his overall FG % will also improve as his misses have been on pull up jumpers and contested layups. More game experience will help him with those higher degree of difficulty shots.

Simpson has great speed.
He plays pretty good darn good D.
He is a good foul shooter.
For those reasons alone, we can’t give up on him.
He basically won the Indiana game last year as a freshman.
Thought he would have put on more muscle but he could still be an integral part this year and the next years. Do you want JMichael shooting shots end game?
This! It is too early to write off Simpson because his shot is not falling one-third of the way into his sophomore season.

Can’t improve his shooting? His 3 pt shooting pct is up 50% this year and his FT % is also up. I’m optimistic his overall FG % will also improve as his misses have been on pull up jumpers and contested layups. More game experience will help him with those higher degree of difficulty shots.
I meant FG shooting. Better shot selection yields a better %, even from 3.

The actual accuracy on same-shots don’t get better over time. Coordination doesn’t improve. Mechanics don’t either.

Look at Cliff. Has his shooting improved in 4 years?

Austin Williams is a 5th year player. Have you ever seen worse jump shot form ?

I'm not writing off Simpson and hope he improves soon, especially because we need veteran leadership going into next year.

BUT, he has not yet risen in value since last year or stepped into the gap left by Spencer's departure, which many of us were hoping for, and which we desperately need to be competitive this season

He needs to fall out of love with the 15-18ft jumper - he needs to work harder to earn opportunities at the rim or from the arc. He's our best FT shooter, and needs to get into the paint to get to the line. Pull up jumpers almost never result in FTs.

I'm not writing off Simpson and hope he improves soon, especially because we need veteran leadership going into next year.

BUT, he has not yet risen in value since last year or stepped into the gap left by Spencer's departure, which many of us were hoping for, and which we desperately need to be competitive this season

He needs to fall out of love with the 15-18ft jumper - he needs to work harder to earn opportunities at the rim or from the arc. He's our best FT shooter, and needs to get into the paint to get to the line. Pull up jumpers almost never result in FTs.
And never will. Talents don’t change. Yes his strength is taking the ball to the rim.

1.jamichael Davis
2.dylan Harper
3. the ineligible player or a transfer (Gavin towards the end of the year/tournament time he should be ready by then)
4. ace bailey
5.transfer that can rebound/Somerville towards the end of season..

Forget writing off Simpson — we had a lot of fans calling him a potential all B1G player. Suddenly that crew is now talking about giving him time to develop etc

His 3 point shooting is up 50% this year? He was shooting 30% heading into today and went 0-3 so he will be back in the 20s

Reactions: Jerseylegends
His 3 point shooting is up 50% this year? He was shooting 30% heading into today and went 0-3 so he will be back in the 20s
I tend to let the Simpson praise go without a response because it's because of fans buying into the preseason hype he received. Maybe people haven't seen him play much or see the game differently than I do. I don't see a player that can contribute to a team with final four aspirations. Need to bring in 3 or 4 transfers next year to be able to meet the expectations.

I’ve gone back and forth on Derek this yesr

It’s time …he is the only guy willing to be the alpha on this team .

Roll the ball to him . Just like we did to geo in his soph year

We will be better for it …this year and next

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT