ADVERTISEMENT

Any update on Corey Sanders?

I don't live to worship athletes you moron Crown. I happen to be friends with many of the basketball players from the mid to late 70's and early 80's. Let's say you are even correct about Rutgers not being squeaky clean and something happened because of something you said(not being a friend of Rutgers), then you will need to go into witness protection.

Groz

Yea you're right, because the NCAA is going to go to the Rivals Message boards to try and find out if a team that has finished in last place every year since they joined the big ten to find out any wrong doings. My bad on the oversight, let me get into witness protection now. Get a grip man.

People harping way too much on the value of a potential degree. Is a degree valuable to your average individual? Absolutely, opens doors to plenty of jobs. However, Corey seems to have the talent and passion to find a lengthy career in basketball.

Will it be the nba? Doubtful. But there is plenty of money to be made overseas, camps, coaching, training etc.. The only benefit I can imagine is if he wants to get a coaching job that requires a degree. Even then, if he was able to spend his entire sophomore spring semester on a different coast, I’m sure he can figure out how to get his necessary credits.

This struck me as an odd sentence. Another way to state it is: "I don't know if another year would have benefited him besides this hugely beneficial thing."

The thing that the majority of D1 players are not going to school for. Or the major that is not exactly employable across a lot of industries.

Yes he does have a skill set-----but shooting from deep isn't part of it and people at any level want a 2 Guard who can shoot the 3 well and there are lots of those guys around.

His best chance IMO to continue playing basketball is to go to a low level of overseas ball and work his way up the ladder-----England or Australia might be a good fit.

Interesting. I guess we will see where he ends up. The thing about Sanders is that he has expert level athleticism with beginner basics. The athleticism is hard to teach, and takes a long time. I believe teams are looking at a lot of his skill set as not being capable of producing consistent results(1 legged jump shot, set three point shot, sometimes crazy drives,etc).

I really hope the best for him.

The thing that the majority of D1 players are not going to school for. Or the major that is not exactly employable across a lot of industries.
Regardless of the major, the degree is hugely helpful. Also, whether he cares now or not, the degree could be hugely helpful once his professional basketball days are over. In fact, a resume with a history of international professional basketball becomes much more viable and presents a compelling candidate if there's a degree on that resume as well. Without it, less so, as he's a basketball player who dropped out of college.

Reactions: soundcrib
Regardless of the major, the degree is hugely helpful. Also, whether he cares now or not, the degree could be hugely helpful once his professional basketball days are over. In fact, a resume with a history of international professional basketball becomes much more viable and presents a compelling candidate if there's a degree on that resume as well. Without it, less so, as he's a basketball player who dropped out of college.

These are all very true statements. Just not how the majority of 20 year old D1 basketball players see the world.

If Corey would ever consider coaching as a career, he would find not having a degree disqualifies you from coaching D1. Not sure about D2. He could coach HS ball without a degree. A nice career overseas would give him some juice, but he needs to finish his degree.
TL

It's sad man. It stinks to see that. I would think someone had these conversations in length with him.

IMO, I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I think it's a realization that he has to work harder.....being humbled can pay dividends in the long run.

he can still finish his degree, he will just have to pay for it.

Why? Plenty of schools let former athletes finish their degrees for free. Just because he isn’t on scholarship doesn’t prevent the Rutgers athletic department from covering his tuition.

Reactions: Rokodesh
The rule should be retroactive to this year's undrafted college players.

Isn’t the rule only if you get invited to the NBA combine and don’t get drafted you can go back?

The rule should be retroactive to this year's undrafted college players.
Nice idea but most teams have set their roster. Also the rule would not apply to Corey Sanders because he wasn't invited to the NBA draft combine which was a stipulation of the rule

I see you were waiting for me to ask this! Lol

So that means he wouldn’t have been able to come back anyway.

This little part of the rule is something I think a lot of people have missed. I believe I heard that the number of players that have been invited to the NBA combine and NOT gotten drafted in the last four years is Zero. Is that correct also??

I believe I heard that the number of players that have been invited to the NBA combine and NOT gotten drafted in the last four years is Zero. Is that correct also??
Incorrect.

Off the top of my head from just this year alone Rawle Alkins, Brian Bowen, Trevon Duval & Isaac Haas were not drafted.

Last year Nigel Hayes was invited and went undrafted. Probably others but that's off the top of my head.

Incorrect.

Off the top of my head from just this year alone Rawle Alkins, Brian Bowen, Trevon Duval & Isaac Haas were not drafted.

Last year Nigel Hayes was invited and went undrafted. Probably others but that's off the top of my head.

Wow Haas wasn't drafted!

I felt like Haas's injury and not being able to attend the Combine or Pre Draft workouts killed him.

Plus an off the court situation he was accused of may have scared teams off.

I watched him in the summer league playing for Jazz and still think he could be on an NBA Roster this year.

Sometime last Winter I read an article saying expansion is coming for the NBA fairly soon. Towns mentioned included Saint Louis,Seattle,Kansas City,Norfolk/Virginia Beach,and London.You would think eventually they will put a pro team in Madison Square Gar den.

Do not underestimate how quick the NBA is. Isaac Haas stands no chance at getting out on perimeter shooters from the center position. In four years, he never shot a 3 pt shot. No way he makes todays NBA. He was a 7 2 player that was not up to the game from a physicality standpoint.

Reactions: littlenis5
Sadly, Corey seems to be turning into another cautionary tale. Unless you are a sure fire first round draft pick, stay in school and get your degree. Anyone advising him otherwise didn't care about him.

Sadly, Corey seems to be turning into another cautionary tale. Unless you are a sure fire first round draft pick, stay in school and get your degree. Anyone advising him otherwise didn't care about him.

We'll never know what these kids go through. You are right. It stinks though that sometimes people in the players ear are trying to benefit themselves, and not the player. Also, some people around the situation treat the players like they are friends, and not someone that is trying to do what is best for that player.

In saying that, I think these kids should try to get paid as much as possible. I believe there will be a trend in upcoming years of more decent players leaving early for overseas possibilities. We know that many of these players are not in school for a degree, but more so to create financial income for themselves eventually. Mike Williams was a player who really looks to his degree with a source of pride, as he should. Maybe more players will be like Mike Williams. He is a leader there!

Look you can't rescue every puppy in the pound but if after 2-3 years at a school a kid doesn't understand the value of a college degree he hasn't grown very much since HS-----and the people around him haven't done much of a job in facilitating that process.

Me personally if I was a HC I wouldn't recruit a kid who wasn't interested in one.

The amount of guys who can make a decent living playing professional basketball anywhere is so miniscule relative to the amount of guys that play at the scholarship level----and I didn't say D-1-----I said scholarship.

There are so many good basketball players around this country----especially Guards.

Look you can't rescue every puppy in the pound but if after 2-3 years at a school a kid doesn't understand the value of a college degree he hasn't grown very much since HS-----and the people around him haven't done much of a job in facilitating that process.

Me personally if I was a HC I wouldn't recruit a kid who wasn't interested in one.

The amount of guys who can make a decent living playing professional basketball anywhere is so miniscule relative to the amount of guys that play at the scholarship level----and I didn't say D-1-----I said scholarship.

There are so many good basketball players around this country----especially Guards.

That's true. Although there are a variety of leagues across the country, and also the emergence of the g league now, which will pay better than it did in years past.

We'll see what happens with Sanders. Too early to write him off. Beginner skills can be harder for some than more advanced.

showing your age....nice!
Actually he was top of mind because the other night on NBA TV they were showing game 7 of the 1978 NBA finals between Washington and Seattle.

Some guy named Marvin Webster had 27 points and 19 rebounds in that game. He was terrific.

Actually he was top of mind because the other night on NBA TV they were showing game 7 of the 1978 NBA finals between Washington and Seattle.

Some guy named Marvin Webster had 27 points and 19 rebounds in that game. He was terrific.

Loved that team. The they got even with the Bullets the following year and the "fat lady" sang. The "Human Eraser" and Sikma made quite a duo down low. Can't believe they've been gone from Seattle for ten years already. Good memories around that time..including my favorite NBA title team - the 76-77 Blazers.

Last edited:

let’s be real, most kids that leave without being drafted weren’t on track for a useful degree in the first place. And many of those undrafted kids still make a good living playing basketball somewhere other than the NBA. So simply staying in school, while a better outcome for fans of that school, is unlikely to lead to a better outcome for many of those players.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Marvin Webster was a very high pick in the Draft------maybe Top 7-8 if memory serves.

Played at one of the MEAC schools I believe.

Had potential but never quite reached it

Saw Sikma play a bunch-----great player----not slightly great-----athletic , smart and could shoot

Nice idea but most teams have set their roster. Also the rule would not apply to Corey Sanders because he wasn't invited to the NBA draft combine which was a stipulation of the rule
I had thought about the roster issue and would've liked to see a one-year exception that allowed the player's school to carry an extra scholly as part of a transition phase-in.

I don't understand why the rule limits the NCAA eligibility reinstatement just to NBA draft invitees.

some guy ????? that’s the Eraser !!!

I may be wrong,but I think you can coach in Divi s ion 1 without a degree.I don't think the NCAA made Eddie complete his. He finished on his own.And please don't let this turn into who should actually call themselves an alumnus.

ADVERTISEMENT