ADVERTISEMENT

Any update on Corey Sanders?

I had thought about the roster issue and would've liked to see a one-year exception that allowed the player's school to carry an extra scholly as part of a transition phase-in.

I don't understand why the rule limits the NCAA eligibility reinstatement just to NBA draft invitees.
If it were open to everyone then everyone would declare and college teams would have no rosters for workouts between end of season and the draft. Also be. Why difficult to manage a roster.

I may be wrong,but I think you can coach in Divi s ion 1 without a degree.I don't think the NCAA made Eddie complete his. He finished on his own.And please don't let this turn into who should actually call themselves an alumnus.
Speedy Morris coached at LaSalle without one if memory serves-----either way it's a bad look.

When those of us who went to college that were not athletes, our focus was to get a degree and a better paying job than our HS diploma would have afforded us.
When athletes get a free ride, it is clear that they are being reimbursed for their time on the court, field or whatever. That scholarship can evaporate for a lot of different reasons if you are not on some playing field. So, their focus is staying healthy and playing.
This is the real shame of what college athletics has done to what was supposed to be an educational process for betterment.
If those of us who paid our way if we were told that our chances of getting our dream job was the same as it is for athletes making it professionally, my guess is that we would have done something else.
I know a lot of scholarship athletes are in some truly watered down academic pursuit. But, at least get a degree that you can hopefully leverage into the inevitable job search.

Reactions: higgins3
I really don't know if another year would have benefited him besides getting his degree. And we all know that very little percentage of kids are coming to D1 schools for an education. Very little. My friends works for the G league of the lakers and was telling me about the process. He said he has people call in every day asking to view their tapes, etc. He also said that the majority of players(he happened to meet Lebron James last week) have a lot of people around them that feed them only what they want to hear.

If Sanders was to come back, someone would need have to tell him what he didn't want to hear. If he did that, he could have had a g league option. But between year 1-3, his game didn't improve enough to where it would take him to that next level.
Most kids use their scholarship in Any sport to get a degree. For you to say very few kids come to a D1 program for an education is absurd. There are 330+schools that have BB programs and less than probably 50 a year make the NBA.

Reactions: soundcrib
Most kids use their scholarship in Any sport to get a degree. For you to say very few kids come to a D1 program for an education is absurd. There are 330+schools that have BB programs and less than probably 50 a year make the NBA.

I should have been more specific. At the top D1 programs, not many kids go to get a degree. It doesn't matter how many make the NBA. There are always other opportunities to play basketball. Is the prime focus to play basketball or to get a degree. That is the question I would ask many players, and I would not be surprised to hear many are there for basketball. Many D1 athletes do graduate. There has been a lot of talk about that and scandals in the past couple years about that. Can they choose any major they want? I just think the initial reason many go to school is for their sport. I would love to be wrong.

To add another tidbit my friend told me he works for the G League- The g league has a program where you can spend a day at many top forbes companies to get a feel for the workplace. He said very, very few players take advantage of this opportunity. A player can go to Google if they want.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific. At the top D1 programs, not many kids go to get a degree. It doesn't matter how many make the NBA. There are always other opportunities to play basketball. Is the prime focus to play basketball or to get a degree. That is the question I would ask many players, and I would not be surprised to hear many are there for basketball. Many D1 athletes do graduate. There has been a lot of talk about that and scandals in the past couple years about that. Can they choose any major they want? I just think the initial reason many go to school is for their sport. I would love to be wrong.

To add another tidbit my friend told me he works for the G League- The g league has a program where you can spend a day at many top forbes companies to get a feel for the workplace. He said very, very few players take advantage of this opportunity. A player can go to Google if they want.
I will agree that those projected as 1 or 2 and done players do exactly what you say. My question is how many of those kids are there. Look at the draft you can count on one hand who those kids are and it is still a very small percentage of kids who are playing and going to class

When those of us who went to college that were not athletes, our focus was to get a degree and a better paying job than our HS diploma would have afforded us.
When athletes get a free ride, it is clear that they are being reimbursed for their time on the court, field or whatever. That scholarship can evaporate for a lot of different reasons if you are not on some playing field. So, their focus is staying healthy and playing.
This is the real shame of what college athletics has done to what was supposed to be an educational process for betterment.
If those of us who paid our way if we were told that our chances of getting our dream job was the same as it is for athletes making it professionally, my guess is that we would have done something else.
I know a lot of scholarship athletes are in some truly watered down academic pursuit. But, at least get a degree that you can hopefully leverage into the inevitable job search.

I think it depends on the school and sport. Few kids in any Olympic sport are thinking I am going to make a living playing this game so I'll take watered down classes and not really care if I graduate.

At a school like Rutgers, if you aren't taking your academics seriously, that's on you. We aren't Alabama. Kids at Rutgers are expected to go to class. And they can take it as serious as the want to, football and hoops included.

The point is that, whether Cory was considering it or not, he gave up something of significant value when he chose to declare.

I believe Corey recently fired his agent and found new representation (who probably got him the workouts with the Rockets).

He said on live stream today that he has another workout with the rockets on September 9th

I have no idea if he will stick, but, the Rockets value two things...shooting and speed. They have enough shooters, maybe they are looking for more speed in the open court.

Either way, a 2nd workout is a good sign.

As Rutgers fans, we should WANT him to stick...no need to bad-mouth like some here love to do.

would LOVE to see him on the rockets. Just has to play D and run the open court, make the pass.

Reactions: higgins3
Hang in there Corey and his child. So nothing will happen here or overseas. By the way,does anyone know if the Canadian Pro League is still around? I never here of anyone going there.

Hang in there Corey and his child. So nothing will happen here or overseas. By the way,does anyone know if the Canadian Pro League is still around? I never here of anyone going there.

No idea but cant imagine much money their despite the talented youth coming out of Canada.

I think if Corey wanted to he could land in many lucrative situations in China, Europe, Middle East.... does he want to do that with a young daughter? Who knows, doesnt seem like it. I think hes gonna hold out on the NBA dream for a bit longer, then Rap or cross the pond.

No idea but cant imagine much money their despite the talented youth coming out of Canada.

I think if Corey wanted to he could land in many lucrative situations in China, Europe, Middle East.... does he want to do that with a young daughter? Who knows, doesnt seem like it. I think hes gonna hold out on the NBA dream for a bit longer, then Rap or cross the pond.

Yea I kind of agree here, although I don't think Corey is the brightest crayon in the box, I think he/his agent knows where he stands right now and he isn't being put in a bad situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT