ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone recognize this arena?

Looks vaguely familiar, LOL
I'm guessing @PiscatawayMike and maybe a couple other board members were there that day
Yeah, I'm pretty certain I was at that game. I attended well over 100 games during the four seasons (1977-81) the Nets played at the RAC.

Maxwell's 1978-79 Topps basketball card was shot at the RAC.

INTERESTING TIDBIT: Maxwell's no. 31 uniform number is retired by the Celtics, but he wore no. 30 his first two seasons in the NBA (1977-78, 1978-79).

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
They used to sell student $3 ticket for the last 2 rows in the building during my freshman year. I went to games where the last 2 rows were packed and the building was half empty. We would usually go see the opponents stars
Good times lol

• Haha
Reactions: ScarletteK80
They used to sell student $3 ticket for the last 2 rows in the building during my freshman year. I went to games where the last 2 rows were packed and the building was half empty. We would usually go see the opponents stars
Good times lol
It was a sweet deal. We never did sit in our assigned seats. We would sit in the 200’s for the first half and plan our trip to the lower level for the second half.

Hard to believe an NBA team played at the RAC. I saw a Nets Knicks game there back in the day.
Me too. Favorite memory out of many was bumping into Walt Frazier at Pathmark in S. Plainfield. I nearly passed out when I turned around and saw him. Don't even remember what I said I was so mesmerized. He was as gracious, and charming as only he could be. This this then 17 teen year old little girl from Brooklyn never forgot that day. Also saw Phil Jackson at that little bookstore. He was a nasty, unfriendly, *ick. Hated him ever since.

Followed the Nets back in the early ABA days in the 70's; Barry, Melchionni, Paultz; don't remember Teaneck - maybe that was in the 60's ? Went to some RAC games - remember Nets versus 76ers. Funny how a 3 point invention changed the game.

Followed the Nets back in the early ABA days in the 70's; Barry, Melchionni, Paultz; don't remember Teaneck - maybe that was in the 60's ? Went to some RAC games - remember Nets versus 76ers. Funny how a 3 point invention changed the game.
I would have to look at their history but I believe it was at least their first year in the ABA not sure of the exact year or years

I would have to look at their history but I believe it was at least their first year in the ABA not sure of the exact year or years
Yes, their first year was as the New Jersey Americans. 1967-1968, first year of the ABA and they played in Teaneck. Moved to Long Island for 1968-1969...until 1977 at the RAC.

Me too. Favorite memory out of many was bumping into Walt Frazier at Pathmark in S. Plainfield. I nearly passed out when I turned around and saw him. Don't even remember what I said I was so mesmerized. He was as gracious, and charming as only he could be. This this then 17 teen year old little girl from Brooklyn never forgot that day. Also saw Phil Jackson at that little bookstore. He was a nasty, unfriendly, *ick. Hated him ever since.
At the Days Inn South Plainfield, the Lakers' Kareem Abdul Jabbar graciously autographed the wedding gown of my then girl friend's best friend

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I also saw, on St Patrick's Day, the Celtics (with Larry Bird) smoke the Nets (with Mike Newwwwww-lin).

I also saw, on St Patrick's Day, the Celtics (with Larry Bird) smoke the Nets (with Mike Newwwwww-lin).
i was at that game too (the RAC sold green beers iirc). My friend was an usher so for my $3 student admission instead of the top of the 300 section I would get great seats. For this game I could almost pat Bird on the head. Awesome opportunity.

Mike Newlin and the Superfan who stomped his feet along the sidelineswith a wig. Used to go back in the day with my family as a wee bac

Thanks to modern tech I found the game I went to as an 11 year old. I remember Eddie Jordan getting a big hand from the crowd. Also remember Edgar Jones dunking two basketballs on the same jump during warmups. He didn't do much in the game but that was entertaining...

Here's a Sports Illustrated photo I always get a kick out of. The person above Lloyd Walton's (11) right shoulder is my brother. A couple friends and I were with him at the game, too. After the game started, we saw there were open seats in the "red cushiony" sections so we went to sit there. My brother was too lazy. He said, "You guys can go. I'm too comfortable. I'll stay here." To this day, he still jokes that we missed our only opportunity to be in SI....lol

bernard-king.webp

February 20, 1978 issue
https://vault.si.com/vault/1978/02/20/70768

Last edited:
Bob Lloyd played for the New Jersey Americans when they were in the Teaneck Armory. I remember trying to listen on a small transistor radio. Cool picture of Lloyd at this site

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT