ADVERTISEMENT

APP; Washington stunned by ASH's Punt Call

ok, but at the time it wasn't. That is all I am saying.
---
if you are saying it was not a chance, then we disagree.... I would like to have seen what would have happened it we went for the yard and made it.... how the game would have progressed from there on out....but we will never know..

I also think we kind of surprised ourselves with how well be played, and I think that is why some people feel like we should have gone for it. But, I am fine playing field position at that point. the defense is reasonable fresh and I think punting played right into the game play which was to shrink the clock, make them drive the field and keep the score close into the 4th where we would have a chance to make some plays and win.

To be clear, one can be against the decision made for one play and should not be labeled an eternal Ash hater. Heck, this was the best game we've seen Rutgers play in years. I firmly felt we had a ton of momentum leading up to this point, with one of our best drives of the day and had a real chance to gain the lead in the third quarter vs. a highly ranked team. Based on their and our special team play up to that point, there was at best, 20 yards of field position to gain from punting. And we weren't exactly shutting down their pass at this point. They had repeatedly marched up the field, but not far enough to score. It even appeared to me that their defense was beginning to tire too. If the real reason for punting was to avoid blowout scores. Well, the gains in recruiting I'm sure will be quite similar to the gain they received on that play by punting it.

Reactions: MoobyCow
The only reason fans think it was a bad idea to punt is because we know the outcome. If RU punted and the receiver muffed the ball and Rutgers jumped on it everyone would say punting was the right call. If we went for it and did not convert fans would be furious for trying to go for it against such a stout defense.
Hahaha! You've been here before!

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT