ADVERTISEMENT

Are we being too tough on the team?

I’ve repeatedly said that I don’t care that we are losing these games.

I’m annoyed at how we are losing - with the offensive philosophy actively avoiding any possible futher development of the passing game or QBs.

We had 4 free games to get a head start on next year and have actually gone backwards in strategy.

We lost to #2 Michigan 11-0, #3 Ohio State 11-0, #12 Penn State 9-2, and Iowa 9-2 they have the four best records in the Big Ten and we‘re probably are fifth best or sixth if we lost to Maryland?
lol
the qb makes more than 95% of the people on this forum

they are well paid to perform

no we are not too hard on them. stop mollycoddling them

I’ve repeatedly said that I don’t care that we are losing these games.

I’m annoyed at how we are losing - with the offensive philosophy actively avoiding any possible futher development of the passing game or QBs.

We had 4 free games to get a head start on next year and have actually gone backwards in strategy.
While I get what you are saying- this year was never about next year...

That’s fine.
The whole “we can’t develop the passing game. Need to stick with the rushing game because it gives us the best chance to win,”
I think it’s incredibly short sighted since HC Schiano isn’t coaching for his job but whatever.

But that goes out the windows today when the only thing working was the passing game.
If the staff truly wanted to “run the offense we need to win today” then we wouldn’t have thrown it 16 times and rushes over 40 times.

It appears to be “well run it hell or high water. Doesn’t matter the run game fumbled it. The ball is the program only when the passing game turned it over.”

Definitely an improvement than what we are used to-which the bar was on the ground.

Defense is there or pretty close.

The offense is VERY far away. It’s all relative. RU can compete/win against the bottom feeders. However, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan are the real measuring stick now-it’s five losses. Although the scores were somewhat close at some point in the game, it felt insurmountable from an offensive point of view.

Stating the obvious-the offense has to improve greatly. I don’t have any answers for that though. That’s why coaches get paid the big bucks.

that makes zero sense, even by Greg's own retarded comment on us being developmental team
you of all people should know better
he's right, we're already bowl bound and since Greg is sticking with Gav, work on that and other areas. Hes' spot on in his view here regardless if Gav is or is not under center next year.

Yes. We're losing games we're supposed to lose, and we're competitive in them. It hurts to make more mistakes than we're forcing our opponents to make, like Gavin's brutal pick 6s against OSU and Wisky. It also hurts to see a championship caliber defense squandered. It's OK to want more but we should be satisfied at 6-5.

That’s fine.
The whole “we can’t develop the passing game. Need to stick with the rushing game because it gives us the best chance to win,”
I think it’s incredibly short sighted since HC Schiano isn’t coaching for his job but whatever.

But that goes out the windows today when the only thing working was the passing game.
If the staff truly wanted to “run the offense we need to win today” then we wouldn’t have thrown it 16 times and rushes over 40 times.

It appears to be “well run it hell or high water. Doesn’t matter the run game fumbled it. The ball is the program only when the passing game turned it over.”
Incompletions stop the clock. That right there tells you why we run almost all the time. Third and long is often a QB run. The game plan is only to run clock and hope for big defensive plays.

Incompletions stop the clock. That right there tells you why we run almost all the time. Third and long is often a QB run. The game plan is only to run clock and hope for big defensive plays.
so not to win but keep the score somewhat close, hopefully lol

Greg's plan is to use the clock to keep the score from getting out of control. I get it but at the end of the day, it's about wins and losses. shame that Greg's inability to develop quarterbacks really came to a head this year given the defense and running game. absolute squandered year given RU could have really made a statement

We’re the big underdog boxer who takes punches for 15 rounds (old timer reference) and doesn’t punch back. No effort to win.

As a whole, Team is exactly where I thought we would be at this point. That doesn’t mean we can’t criticize things that should be better. I’m not going to criticize the OL, we alll expected them to stink and they’ve played well. As season goes on, we play better teams, and they are dinged up you have to expect less production. However, I think TE and QB play are fair game at this point.

Yes. We're losing games we're supposed to lose, and we're competitive in them. It hurts to make more mistakes than we're forcing our opponents to make, like Gavin's brutal pick 6s against OSU and Wisky. It also hurts to see a championship caliber defense squandered. It's OK to want more but we should be satisfied at 6-5.
We're not really competitive in them though. Once Wisconsin, Iowa, or Penn State takes the lead, the outcome is decided. We haven't threatened to take the lead or come from behind in any of these games. The defense slows down the opposing O, and then it's just a matter of time before the other team scores.

RU can compete/win against the bottom feeders.
I think that is a little harsh. We have been competitive and beat mid level teams. NW and VaTech quickly come to mind. Both of which will be at least .500 and going to bowl games. Some people would classify MSU as mid level also.
This is something that we haven't done in the past 5-10 years.

I think that is a little harsh. We have been competitive and beat mid level teams. NW and VaTech quickly come to mind. Both of which will be at least .500 and going to bowl games. Some people would classify MSU as mid level also.
This is correct. We are a middle of the pack Big Ten team this year just like basketball has been the last few years.

What these guys are missing- not long ago- we were the bottom feeder. We are looking at progression- they are just f-ing idiots.

We have shown the ability this year to stay for 1/2 a game with top 5 teams. and not be embarrassed. And we won every game we were expected to win.
We have not done either of these, much less, both- in a very long time

We're not really competitive in them though. Once Wisconsin, Iowa, or Penn State takes the lead, the outcome is decided. We haven't threatened to take the lead or come from behind in any of these games. The defense slows down the opposing O, and then it's just a matter of time before the other team scores.
That's Schianoball in a nutshell. The defense is good enough to keep them from being blowouts early but the offense is not ever good enough to win. TDs win games, a few FGs do not.

We are about where I thought we would be, a bunch of people have been talking about a signature win and lamenting we don't have one (NJ.com). Well look around the big ten if a signature win means beating PSU, OSU or Michigan then No one in the Big has a signature win this year, if you throw Iowa in there only Minn. has beaten them. The personnel on these three teams is so out balance with the rest of the league. The Maryland game will clearly tell us how much progress we have really made in the league this year.

Things are better but still two RZ trips in a row became the usual field goals.
That's one thing that never gets fixed.
Announcer mentioned RU not scoring a TD at PSU since 1994

B1G is known for power game and opponents falling apart in second half is part of that game.
I heard coach mention need for depth but what's new?

Reactions: bac2therac
We need playmakers across the board. Period. That's what's keeping us from taking the next step.

We are where we should be in Schiano 2.0, IMO. Maybe even a little ahead because of the defense.
Without "playmakers" we are actually ahead of the pace. I do agree with you- we have some really good players you need on a successful team. The next step, is where these same hard playing, ball busting players, are fighting with 2-3 others just to get a start

The 2 holding calls may have prevented us from scoring 2 TD's today and having the lead at the half.
In the second half it seemed we had an injured player on every down.
Passing was better than we have been. The lack of a tight end threat hurts both the passing and running game. Help is on the way next year, but we can't depend on a true freshman. We need a real tight end threat in the portal.
Penn State had some simple plays that should be in our repertoire, one that comes to mind is the backup QB was doing an end around and threw a short pass to the TE on the RPO. Our defender was frozen between the QB and the TE.
All of this and we were still in the game through 3 quarters.

We lost to #2 Michigan 11-0, #3 Ohio State 11-0, #12 Penn State 9-2, and Iowa 9-2 they have the four best records in the Big Ten and we‘re probably are fifth best or sixth if we lost to Maryland?
Of course. But this is a wonderful testing ground to confirm who the dummies are on this board.

Last edited:
I am going to quote someone from another thread:

“Rutgers has lost 5 games this year. Their worst loss is to Wisconsin at Camp Randall. Their other losses came against #1, #2, #12 and #16. 3 of which were on the road.“

I mean puts it into perspective REALLY well!!!!

I think the offensive ineptitude/ unbelievably conservative offensive playcalling (as well as the unwillingness to return a single punt/kick) is frustrating people to such a degree that they’re losing perspective

- we have beaten EVERY team we “should” beat (a few of which have turned out to be decent). Not a single Wtf loss

- bowl eligible before halloween

- not a single blow out loss. In every game against the bluebloods we kept the game competitive deep into the second half

All of these were expectations/ hopes at the beginning of the year - and they accomplished them. I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if some of the people now bitching had expressed these as their hopes for the season

So while I’m hardly jumping up and down for joy, I can objectively see that the program as a whole has taken an undeniable step forward this year.

I agree that our Offense is trying to run the clock out for the entire game due to a lack of play makers. Very boring to watch for RU fans. That game yesterday was a snooze fest.

The Maryland game is now a litmus test for this team. Does the team stumble into the Pinstripe off of 4 straight losses or do they rebound on Senior Day at home with a Win?

Next game vs Maryland is a huge test of where we are in the pecking order. A win to get to 7 and 4-5 in conference would be a massive success for this season.

Improve Red zone offense. Limit the killer penalties . That’s the difference in each the OSU Mich and PSU games.

I think they have won every game that was reasonable to expect them to win. Preseason expectations were low and they were met with four games to go. But once you get to 6-2, those preseason expectations should not be the sole basis for evaluating the season. Preseason rankings and expectations tend to be highly inaccurate and many teams overachieve each year. We have not in a long time yet the opportunity was there this year. It is disappointing to have to sit through watching it disappear not only because the other teams may have more talent but because we can't function on offense.

Yes we lost to some good teams. Yes we gave OSU a game but these last two weeks have been sobering and just reiterates that you need at least a semi competent offense to win games against good teams. Let's not be trying to replicate the Iowa model to that extent.

Greg uses the development mantra as a way to manage expectations of his team. It works for many in the fanbase. If we lose or don't get guys in the portal it will be about the money. The reality is that he has been here 4 years, and while he was not dealt a good hand, finishing 6-6 and going to a minor bowl game does not warrant discussion of an extension for a guy with 4 more years to go. While the staffing changes that seem to have focused on coaching versus recruiting seemed to help, the fact tha he took so long to find an OC and then had to overpay for a retread like KC is telling. With him as the OC, running the ball will be the priority based on his success doing so at Minnesota.

We need to raise our standards when it comes to expectations for our athletic teams. .500 seasons needs to be the floor and 7-8 wins the standard. The portal and NIL as currently constituted make it tougher to for a school like RU but that is life in college football as we know it.

I think they have won every game that was reasonable to expect them to win. Preseason expectations were low and they were met with four games to go. But once you get to 6-2, those preseason expectations should not be the sole basis for evaluating the season. Preseason rankings and expectations tend to be highly inaccurate and many teams overachieve each year. We have not in a long time yet the opportunity was there this year. It is disappointing to have to sit through watching it disappear not only because the other teams may have more talent but because we can't function on offense.

Yes we lost to some good teams. Yes we gave OSU a game but these last two weeks have been sobering and just reiterates that you need at least a semi competent offense to win games against good teams. Let's not be trying to replicate the Iowa model to that extent.

Greg uses the development mantra as a way to manage expectations of his team. It works for many in the fanbase. If we lose or don't get guys in the portal it will be about the money. The reality is that he has been here 4 years, and while he was not dealt a good hand, finishing 6-6 and going to a minor bowl game does not warrant discussion of an extension for a guy with 4 more years to go. While the staffing changes that seem to have focused on coaching versus recruiting seemed to help, the fact tha he took so long to find an OC and then had to overpay for a retread like KC is telling. With him as the OC, running the ball will be the priority based on his success doing so at Minnesota.

We need to raise our standards when it comes to expectations for our athletic teams. .500 seasons needs to be the floor and 7-8 wins the standard. The portal and NIL as currently constituted make it tougher to for a school like RU but that is life in college football as we know it.
I don’t disagree totally except in part about raising our standards.
Before the season- .500 was a very long shot and no one expected it. So- you can’t be disappointed in the record and use it to say”we need to raise our standard” but you can use it moving forward. I don’t think anyone would be happy just to be at .500 for the next decade.

Reactions: Knight Shift

When our fanbase provides similar resources to our peers, we can talk about raising standards.

In particular we need a Fieldhouse built and NIL Support. Till then, this is going to be a slow build and we will likely wallow in mediocrity for a bit, which is a fry cry from where we previously were, which was getting blasted.

Reactions: sct1111
Without "playmakers" we are actually ahead of the pace. I do agree with you- we have some really good players you need on a successful team. The next step, is where these same hard playing, ball busting players, are fighting with 2-3 others just to get a start
Yes. It's very clear that as the season goes on we start to wear down due to injuries and depth issues. The real good teams have the studs and depth. We're definitely not there yet but on the right path.

Schiano must be kicking himself in the ass that he left before we got into the B1G.

100%!!!!!! Plus 4 of the top 8 defenses in the FN country!!!! You don't go from 4 wins to 8-10 wins in this league especially with our schedule (Which changes next year)...You take steps and we took a big one this year. For those who can't see it, it must suck to live life being so negative...

Yes. It's very clear that as the season goes on we start to wear down due to injuries and depth issues. The real good teams have the studs and depth. We're definitely not there yet but on the right path.

Schiano must be kicking himself in the ass that he left before we got into the B1G.
He said as much in his presser a few weeks ago. Not in those words, but kicking himself he left. If I recall I think he called leaving a mistake.

Reactions: Rhuarc

Not too tough at all. With increased level of play comes increased expectations, that’s a good thing. If this was same old same old 3-9 record and getting boat raced by the whole conference with 40 point losses, then no one would care, comment or critique as much. It’s a good thing that people are tough as they realize this team can DO EVEN MORE…..that’s a good thing, it’s called progress.

Not too tough at all. With increased level of play comes increased expectations, that’s a good thing. If this was same old same old 3-9 record and getting boat raced by the whole conference with 40 point losses, then no one would care, comment or critique as much. It’s a good thing that people are tough as they realize this team can DO EVEN MORE…..that’s a good thing, it’s called progress.
This is what I’m talking about. Yeah RU has improved but may end up 6-6. This is the competition. I’m content for the time being-not satisfied. Should never be satisfied with a .500 record. Keep grinding. They’ll get there. I doubt Schiano tells them to be satisfied. It’s a building block.

I’m hoping GS goes hard after the portal for some playmakers and OL. This season shows what is possible, just need a few more horses.

Last edited:
I am going to quote someone from another thread:

“Rutgers has lost 5 games this year. Their worst loss is to Wisconsin at Camp Randall. Their other losses came against #1, #2, #12 and #16. 3 of which were on the road.“

I mean puts it into perspective REALLY well!!!!

I think the offensive ineptitude/ unbelievably conservative offensive playcalling (as well as the unwillingness to return a single punt/kick) is frustrating people to such a degree that they’re losing perspective

- we have beaten EVERY team we “should” beat (a few of which have turned out to be decent). Not a single Wtf loss

- bowl eligible before halloween

- not a single blow out loss. In every game against the bluebloods we kept the game competitive deep into the second half

All of these were expectations/ hopes at the beginning of the year - and they accomplished them. I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if some of the people now bitching had expressed these as their hopes for the season

So while I’m hardly jumping up and down for joy, I can objectively see that the program as a whole has taken an undeniable step forward this year.

Excuse me but facts have no place in this discussion.

Somehow no other B1G teams have beaten OSU/Michigan, they're the Cult's only losses and Iowa lost to the Cult and had a controversial loss to Minnesota- but we should have beaten all of them, including 3 on the road.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT