ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State Could be a Close Match

bluemountain1967

Sophomore
Feb 8, 2020
According to today's Flo rankings they have 7 projected National Qualifiers and we have 9. We will be favored in 4 bouts and they will be favored in 5. Neither team has a ranked guy at 165. They are favored at 125 and 133. I think we have a shot at these weights. If we don't give up a lot of bonus points we could win. Also there is a rumor that Parco who is ranked 4th at 149 is out with an injury. If true, then we are the favorites to win.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Thanks for the correction. Hate to see a kid hurt. But it is good news for us as Teemer is a two-time All American. Match could be a 5-5 split with bonus points a deciding factor.

Here's my predictions, with caveats and assuming their starters start.
125 - AS
133 - AS
141 - R Giving Sammy the benefit of the doubt, if he makes weight
149 - R Calling for an upset
157 - R Clark coming off a confidence builder
165 - AS
174 - AS
184 - AS *Soldano loses, or Poz wins from more experience
197 - AS
HWT - AS

Caveats: We could pull off the upset at 125. Was Glory off his game or were Peterson and Shawver that much improved? Andrew Clark has learned from his drubbing last year and should be more comfortable at 157. Turley needs to make weight and have confidence in his shoulder, but he has had time off and starts slowly. Is Soldano ready to beat a highly-ranked guy in his first college match? I worry about him getting caught during one of his funky moves.

If I'm wrong about 125, 174, 184, we win; if I'm wrong about two of them and right about our wins, it comes down to bonus points.

Here's my predictions, with caveats and assuming their starters start.
125 - AS
133 - AS
141 - R Giving Sammy the benefit of the doubt, if he makes weight
149 - R Calling for an upset
157 - R Clark coming off a confidence builder
165 - AS
174 - AS
184 - AS *Soldano loses, or Poz wins from more experience
197 - AS
HWT - AS

Caveats: We could pull off the upset at 125. Was Glory off his game or were Peterson and Shawver that much improved? Andrew Clark has learned from his drubbing last year and should be more comfortable at 157. Turley needs to make weight and have confidence in his shoulder, but he has had time off and starts slowly. Is Soldano ready to beat a highly-ranked guy in his first college match? I worry about him getting caught during one of his funky moves.

If I'm wrong about 125, 174, 184, we win; if I'm wrong about two of them and right about our wins, it comes down to bonus points.
I see it very similar as you. Possible for us to pull upset at 125. 141-very highly touted frosh from California will be early test for Sammy. 174 and 184-we need to win both to have any chance. Very good test for both 184 kid is ranked around 17th on Intermat and 22nd on Flo. Will get a very good indication if Soldano is ready to go(assuming he wrestles). 197-they are pretty solid favorite and HWT-not giving up bonus will be a win.
I do not think we win all the toss/ups or where they are a favorite.....I will go 6-4 split with ASU winning 20-12

Courtney is supposedly out this weekend, but former #1 p4p recruit from 2021 Richard Figueroa will step in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT