ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night is a Great Opportunity

bluemountain1967

Sophomore
Feb 8, 2020
We should beat Vt. Tech this Friday. More than that, we have a great opportunity to make a statement and prove we are a top 10 or better team. A dominant Rutgers victory will prove a lot of the prognosticators wrong.

125. Eddie Ventresca has suffered two loses and is now longer in #4. He is ranked 18 and just got majored by Maida from America. He lost to a mediocre redshirt freshman from Ohio State. Dean is now ranked # 8 and should dominate Ventresca.

Rutgers 4-0

133. Sam Latona has an early season loss to a redshirt freshman from Oregon State. However, Latona is one tough kid and will likely beat #18 Shawver

Rutgers 4-3

141 In high school, Mitch Moore was a dominate Ohio stud. He who first went to Va. Tech, transferred to Oklahoma, and now is at Rutgers. He has great headlock and should destroy which ever freshman Va. Tech puts on the mat.

Rutgers 9-3

149 Joseph Butler should put up a valiant fight against Va. Tech sophomore and # 4 ranked Caleb Henson. Henson could put on a takedown clinic.

Rutgers 9-7

157. # 5 Bryce Andonian is one of the most dangerous and exciting wrestlers around. He will be too much for Andrew Clark

Rutgers 9-11

165 Not sure who Va. Tech will wrestle at 165. Connor Brady had an uninspiring performance losing to an Ohio State back-up last Friday night. They could send him out again or it could be Clayton Ulrey. This should a good coming out party for Anthony White at 165.

Rutgers 12-11

174 Jersey grown and trained national champ Mekhi Lewis from Bound Brook will be too much for Jackson Turley. Turley wrestled him tough at last year's NCAAs and should be ready to give Mekhi a fight.

Rutgers 12-14

184 # 7 Brian Soldano will likely take on # 20 Sam Fischer. Fischer was pinned by Ohio State freshman Rogotzke last Friday. While unlikely, Va. Tech could send out TJ Stewart who beat Soldano at Fargo.

Rutgers 17-14

197 # 18 senior Andy Smith lost to Ohio State redshirt freshman Luke Geog on Friday night. Poz who is currently ranked # 13 and back in good health should be victorious with a major decision.

Rutgers 21 -14

Heavyweight - Yara currently ranked # 7 makes his RU debut against redshirt junior Hunter Catka. Catka is a big kid ranked 20th who has yet to live up to his projected potential. He lost against Ohio State. Yara will win in a workman fashion.

Rutgers 24-14

I agree. We are in a great position to knock off VT this weekend in front of what should be a massive and awesome crowd. I know I'm pumped.

IMO it comes down to these matchups:

125 - Need Dean to continue to push and wrestle hard for 3 periods. Ventresca hasn't wrestled well and has been extremely vulnerable giving up back to back MDs thus far, but Dean can't let him hang around and gain any confidence. He is obviously very talented as he finished 7th last year so we'll need Dean to be on the attack and being looking to score some points. Can't lose this one if we want to win.

149/157 - Andonian and Henson are elite wrestlers, so we'll need Butler and Clark to wrestle smart and not give up TFs or pins. Need to find a way to keep the total points from these matches below 10

I don’t see Peterson losing but I will feel way more comfortable with the dual if he can secure a major

We should beat Vt. Tech this Friday. More than that, we have a great opportunity to make a statement and prove we are a top 10 or better team. A dominant Rutgers victory will prove a lot of the prognosticators wrong.

125. Eddie Ventresca has suffered two loses and is now longer in #4. He is ranked 18 and just got majored by Maida from America. He lost to a mediocre redshirt freshman from Ohio State. Dean is now ranked # 8 and should dominate Ventresca.

Rutgers 4-0

133. Sam Latona has an early season loss to a redshirt freshman from Oregon State. However, Latona is one tough kid and will likely beat #18 Shawver

Rutgers 4-3

141 In high school, Mitch Moore was a dominate Ohio stud. He who first went to Va. Tech, transferred to Oklahoma, and now is at Rutgers. He has great headlock and should destroy which ever freshman Va. Tech puts on the mat.

Rutgers 9-3

149 Joseph Butler should put up a valiant fight against Va. Tech sophomore and # 4 ranked Caleb Henson. Henson could put on a takedown clinic.

Rutgers 9-7

157. # 5 Bryce Andonian is one of the most dangerous and exciting wrestlers around. He will be too much for Andrew Clark

Rutgers 9-11

165 Not sure who Va. Tech will wrestle at 165. Connor Brady had an uninspiring performance losing to an Ohio State back-up last Friday night. They could send him out again or it could be Clayton Ulrey. This should a good coming out party for Anthony White at 165.

Rutgers 12-11

174 Jersey grown and trained national champ Mekhi Lewis from Bound Brook will be too much for Jackson Turley. Turley wrestled him tough at last year's NCAAs and should be ready to give Mekhi a fight.

Rutgers 12-14

184 # 7 Brian Soldano will likely take on # 20 Sam Fischer. Fischer was pinned by Ohio State freshman Rogotzke last Friday. While unlikely, Va. Tech could send out TJ Stewart who beat Soldano at Fargo.

Rutgers 17-14

197 # 18 senior Andy Smith lost to Ohio State redshirt freshman Luke Geog on Friday night. Poz who is currently ranked # 13 and back in good health should be victorious with a major decision.

Rutgers 21 -14

Heavyweight - Yara currently ranked # 7 makes his RU debut against redshirt junior Hunter Catka. Catka is a big kid ranked 20th who has yet to live up to his projected potential. He lost against Ohio State. Yara will win in a workman fashion.

Rutgers 24-14

This is probably best case scenario..
Dean getting a major is expecting a lot..
bottom line is we need to win the two flip matchup(125/65).. and win the dual 6 matches to 4… bc if it goes to 5:5 match split I think VT will have us outbonused..

This is probably best case scenario..
Dean getting a major is expecting a lot..
bottom line is we need to win the two flip matchup(125/65).. and win the dual 6 matches to 4… bc if it goes to 5:5 match split I think VT will have us outbonused..
I wouldn’t be surprised if we got bonus at 125, 141, 184 or 285. I think because of personnel we’re pretty well suited for 5:5 splits this year much more than previous seasons.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we got bonus at 125, 141, 184 or 285. I think because of personnel we’re pretty well suited for 5:5 splits this year much more than previous seasons.
I agree, we could get bonus at those weights but they got more top end heavy hitters at 133, 49,57, 74… all those guys are top 5 in their weight class…so objectively speaking, if it’s 5:5 split I think they have to be favored in the bonus department..

Reactions: UnderHooks
Bonus points will be easier to come by with 3pt take down rule, don’t forget
Rut rho, good point. Then I hope we increase our number of takedowns versus our opponents this year. Traditionally, we have not won that overall battle against our better opponents.

This match is the litmus test for several wrestlers. The first tough match of the year is often the perennial WTF moment. I'm more optimistic than in past years, but it's too early to be confident at all weights. I don't know what is going on with Ventresca, but it's a slow start, at the least. I'm disappointed in Peterson's performance with Cal Poly (the only match I've seen) relative to the early reports of his readiness. I hope to see Dean dominate, but I am considering 125 a toss-up. We will lose 133, 149, 157, and 174. The litmus test will apply most to White and Pos, both up in weight. We'll learn a lot from those matches. We'll win 141, 184, and hopefully, 285. We have a perceived advantage with two of the three toss-ups. All three will give us the win. A tie goes to VT on bonus points. Then again, I could be wrong about it all.

Reactions: KidDagger
This goes for both sides don’t forget.. they got 4 guys in the top 5… it’s delusion to think we are favored over them to get bonus
It’s really not. Where they’re strong, we’re solid.

This goes for both sides don’t forget.. they got 4 guys in the top 5… it’s delusion to think we are favored over them to get bonus
They have four studs and that's all. Latona # 5, Henson # 4, Andonian # 5 and Lewis is # 3. They will likely get majors at 149 and 157. Shawver should keep it do a decision. Remember, Latona was beaten this year by a redshirt freshman from Oregon State. Last March, Lewis only beat Turley 2 to 1. The RAC will be loud and rocking. No way they should win more than 4 bouts. Of course, anything can happen. This year I believe the usual pre-season hype is real. Even Pessimistically is optimistic. Go RU

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Have a friend's daughter and her friend over from England visiting. It'll be their first wrestling match ever. They said, they'll just cheer when we cheer. I said the arena will let you know when to cheer. They thought they were going to something only attended by a hundred people or so. They were shocked when I told them how many we normally get. They'll also be going to the Maryland football game.

Have a friend's daughter and her friend over from England visiting. It'll be their first wrestling match ever. They said, they'll just cheer when we cheer. I said the arena will let you know when to cheer. They thought they were going to something only attended by a hundred people or so. They were shocked when I told them how many we normally get. They'll also be going to the Maryland football game.
You are growing the sport more than most D1 coaches

Another failure with a great opportunity.. we haven’t won a big match in about ten years. When can we move on from Goodale?

Watching the Mekhi Lewis family celebration and Jimmy Mullen celebrating like they won the Super Bowl made me sick.

• Angry
Reactions: KidDagger
This match is the litmus test for several wrestlers. The first tough match of the year is often the perennial WTF moment. I'm more optimistic than in past years, but it's too early to be confident at all weights. I don't know what is going on with Ventresca, but it's a slow start, at the least. I'm disappointed in Peterson's performance with Cal Poly (the only match I've seen) relative to the early reports of his readiness. I hope to see Dean dominate, but I am considering 125 a toss-up. We will lose 133, 149, 157, and 174. The litmus test will apply most to White and Pos, both up in weight. We'll learn a lot from those matches. We'll win 141, 184, and hopefully, 285. We have a perceived advantage with two of the three toss-ups. All three will give us the win. A tie goes to VT on bonus points. Then again, I could be wrong about it all.
Pretty much played out like this. Had Soldano won, it would have been the 5-5 tie with VT winning with a bonus point. 1-1 on the litmus test. Pos came through against another top 20 guy, which is what I've been waiting to see. My concern with White has been the two weight classes increase. I think I had predicted him to be a little better than a .500 guy this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT