ADVERTISEMENT

Article: Chris Ash 'must' have a decent 3rd year

Kyk is this you under different name trying to sell real estate

Come again, what is Kyk?

I'm a long time lurker on this board having spent most of my time at the SOR site under a similar screen name.

There is too much sensitivity on this board about negative comments about Ash. Ash seems like a good guy, and we hope he succeeds. But there is room for skepticism given his mediocre game day coaching and uninspired recruiting. Anyone should
be able to criticize Ash without being ridiculed on this board. Ash has yet to show much of anything, so uncritical adulation is a bit premature. If there are those who cannot tolerate criticism of Ash on this board, then maybe they are confusing this Rivals board with a North Korea propaganda website, where adulation of the Great Leader is de rigueur. Or maybe they have become comfortable in the current cult surrounding a certain American political leader who also sees himself as above criticism and demands absolute loyalty and does not tolerate dissent.

Well, this is neither North Korea nor a political cult.

Ash is not God. He is not an emperor. He is a young coach who may succeed or may fail. We do not know yet. Let's not try to suppress critical thinking and become cultists. Negativity and Positivity should always be welcome by all parties lest we descend into the incivility and barbarism that is sweeping the country. The more varied opinions there are, the better

Last edited:
There is too much sensitivity on this board about negative comments about Ash. Ash seems like a good guy, and we hope he succeeds. But there is room for skepticism given his mediocre game day coaching and uninspired recruiting. Anyone should
be able to criticize Ash without being ridiculed on this board. Ash has yet to show much of anything, so uncritical adulation is a bit premature. If there are those who cannot tolerate criticism of Ash on this board, then maybe they are confusing this Rivals board with a North Korea propaganda website, where adulation of the Great Leader is de rigueur. Or maybe they have become comfortable in the current cult surrounding a certain American political leader who also sees himself as above criticism and demands absolute loyalty and does not tolerate dissent.

Ash is not God. He is not an emperor. He is a young coach who may succeed or may fail. We do not know yet. Let's not try to suppress critical thinking and become cultists. Negativity and Positivity should always be welcome by all parties lest we descend into the incivility and barbarism that is sweeping the country. The more varied opinions there are, the better
Disagree on the sensitivity. It is not sensitivity. It is calling out a board troll who has had a record of being nothing but negative on Ash.

Most fans here recognize the mistakes he made in the original OC hire, conservative game day coaching and recruiting that has been ok to meh. Most here knew this was a major rebuild. Many are expecting signs of progress.

Reactions: koleszar and TRU2RU
https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/6/2...year-is-crucial-big-ten-new-jersey-recruiting

"What will happen in 2018? Will Rutgers Scarlet Knights end their four year drought from going 'bowling' or will another losing season be the result? Only time will tell, but Chris Ash must have a decent season on the field, in order to change the narrative off the field with recruits that Rutgers does in fact have a bright future. Also, it will further give Rutgers fans and alums hope that better days are ahead."

Define Decent.

IMO "decent" is at least 6-6.

Anything short of that would be a disappointment / cause for considering other options.

MO

Reactions: njknightsfan
There is too much sensitivity on this board about negative comments about Ash. Ash seems like a good guy, and we hope he succeeds. But there is room for skepticism given his mediocre game day coaching and uninspired recruiting. Anyone should be able to criticize Ash without being ridiculed on this board. Ash has yet to show much of anything, so uncritical adulation is a bit premature. If there are those who cannot tolerate criticism of Ash on this board, then maybe they are confusing this Rivals board with a North Korea propaganda website, where adulation of the Great Leader is de rigueur.
Great post. Thank you!

Define Decent.

IMO "decent" is at least 6-6.

Anything short of that would be a disappointment / cause for considering other options.
I didn't write the article, but I would define Ash having a "decent" year that keeps his job safe as 5-7.

The whole thread is comical.
Go back and read the original post and the article I linked. Neither is even remotely an attack on Coach Ash.

Even if someone did criticize Ash's performance as coach, that is 100% justified and allowed. But that's not what's happening in this thread.

Disagree on the sensitivity. It is not sensitivity. It is calling out a board troll who has had a record of being nothing but negative on Ash.

Most fans here recognize the mistakes he made in the original OC hire, conservative game day coaching and recruiting that has been ok to meh. Most here knew this was a major rebuild. Many are expecting signs of progress.
I would argue it’s not just his original OC hire but a number of his original hires...I’d also argue with his hire of Kill because there was a high probability that would not have been a long term answer and he also provided zero recruiting effort...

A case can be made that the program is being set back further with the perceived (by some) lack of recruiting buzz as well as the lack of development that is inevitable when you have continual overhaul of the assistant coaching ranks...so while it’s highly unlikely Ash gets fired even with another 3-4 win year, the question must be asked, is the program being set up to have success in the next 3-4 years regardless of who the head coach is...

Reactions: RU_DIO
Or else what? He's going to get fired and replaced with another assistant from a winning program who's never been a head coach before? Or is the RU administration going to take piles of money out of their secret vault and make Nick Saban an offer Alabama can't match?

I would argue it’s not just his original OC hire but a number of his original hires...I’d also argue with his hire of Kill because there was a high probability that would not have been a long term answer and he also provided zero recruiting effort...

A case can be made that the program is being set back further with the perceived (by some) lack of recruiting buzz as well as the lack of development that is inevitable when you have continual overhaul of the assistant coaching ranks...so while it’s highly unlikely Ash gets fired even with another 3-4 win year, the question must be asked, is the program being set up to have success in the next 3-4 years regardless of who the head coach is...
I agree. But that is the price of hiring a first time head coach. Mis-steps will be made. I may be off on this, but I think Durkin at Maryland has had nearly as much or more turnover on position coaches/coordinators.
Hires that were not good were DM and ZK. Was not wild about JK as OC, but he held the fort down, and hopefully imparted his wisdom/experience to Chris Ash. Without directly saying it or unprofessionally saying "DM (or someone else) was a bad hire", he has recognized the error of his ways and done well to correct. For example, the hires of Erb (experience for the position), Campanile (finally a recruiter with Jersey connections) and McNulty (please John, rework your magic from 10 years ago) were all major upgrades. A key will be improvement on the field and some continuity in coaching staff, but some annual turnover is to be expected in today's college football world.

Reactions: JCKnight
I agree. But that is the price of hiring a first time head coach. Mis-steps will be made. I may be off on this, but I think Durkin at Maryland has had nearly as much or more turnover on position coaches/coordinators.
Hires that were not good were DM and ZK. Was not wild about JK as OC, but he held the fort down, and hopefully imparted his wisdom/experience to Chris Ash. Without directly saying it or unprofessionally saying "DM (or someone else) was a bad hire", he has recognized the error of his ways and done well to correct. For example, the hires of Erb (experience for the position), Campanile (finally a recruiter with Jersey connections) and McNulty (please John, rework your magic from 10 years ago) were all major upgrades. A key will be improvement on the field and some continuity in coaching staff, but some annual turnover is to be expected in today's college football world.
Unfortunately even if they are half way decent this year...if recruiting doesn’t improve dramatically...we may be setting ourselves up for a few 6-6 seasons with a “sell” outlook for 3-4 years down the road...at least Durkin is getting his share of 4* recruits, he has 14 over the last two classes and this current cycle to Ash’s 3

I've followed it every bit as closely as you have. 6 wins he's obviously fine. 5 wins he almost certainly stays. 4 wins it's 50/50 (although I personally think he'd either step down or be fired). 3 wins he's definitely getting fired.
You are totally clueless, this was a 5 year rebuild when Flood got fired & nothing has changed, & if you think that Ash will step down you are even dumber then I thought

You are totally clueless, this was a 5 year rebuild when Flood got fired & nothing has changed, & if you think that Ash will step down you are even dumber then I thought
Another example of someone lashing out with insults because a fellow poster has a different opinion. There are some seriously insecure fans around here when it comes to Coach Ash.

Win at least 5 games and all is well. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Reactions: bdur76
Another example of someone lashing out with insults because a fellow poster has a different opinion. There are some seriously insecure fans around here when it comes to Coach Ash.

Nothing says insecure like believing that Ash will probably step down if his team only wins 4 games....Delusional totally delusional...does your Mommy know that you are using the computer again??????

Wins are obviously very important. Six wins would be great. But what Rutgers needs to do is show they're competitive against teams like Ohio State , Michigan , Wisconsin etc . No more blow out losses that make it hard to open The Sunday sports section. Maybe even an upset win that causes casual fans to look up and pay attention to the program. Last year's team was much improved without having even decent quarterback play. Hopefully our offense will no longer be the liability it's been but are we pinning too much hope in a freshman quarterback who has yet to play a single game?
Need to stop those lopsided losses :)

can you please do us a favor and confirm that you are NOT the poster formerly known as BigTenEMU or whatever his name was...AND if the mods can validate the same IP address you will stop creating new screen names?

Nothing says insecure like believing that Ash will probably step down if his team only wins 4 games....Delusional totally delusional...does your Mommy know that you are using the computer again??????

Another example...

AshHeap-- I call it like I see it--TRU2RU has the better position here. You can dish out the BS, but you can't take it when you get called out on your BS.

TRU2RU emphasized the "(although I personally think he'd either step down " part of your post, which is absolutely ludicrous and it IS dumb, clueless and/or delusional to think Ash would step down after a 4 win season. That is a totally fair response to such a comment. There is nothing "insecure" about TRU2RU's comment on your post. While 4 wins would not be a success by any definition, unless there was something else to the 4 wins, he is not going to step down.

The Mommy comment was a little over the top, but you invited it.

Great post. Thank you!

I didn't write the article, but I would define Ash having a "decent" year that keeps his job safe as 5-7.

Nope: I need a winning season. A bowl game.

I need some hope against the Ohio's, Mich./ MSU / Ped States....

The time to put up is NOW!

MO

Have you posted under the name BigTenRutgers or TonySoprano?
or:
How do you feel about the West Virginia football program and have you had interaction with any of the Mountaineer fan base if/when you went to Morgantown for an RU game. :D

How do you feel about the West Virginia football program and have you had interaction with any of the Mountaineer fan base if/when you went to Morgantown for an RU game.
Weird question but no, I’ve never been to West Virginia. Let’s get back to the topic at hand.

Weird question but no, I’ve never been to West Virginia. Let’s get back to the topic at hand.
Why? It is uncomfortable when people are on to your inferior performance as a board troll, isn't it? You seem to have no problem assailing Chris Ash or his supporters, so why can't we discuss your questionable posting history and likely former screen names? You can dish it out, but you surely can't take the slightest amount of heat. You really are a heap of ashes, as you get all burned up at the slightest challenge to your little game.

Reactions: Block R
Go back and read the original post and the article I linked. Neither is even remotely an attack on Coach Ash.

Even if someone did criticize Ash's performance as coach, that is 100% justified and allowed. But that's not what's happening in this thread.
Haha. Yea ok. I’ll go back and read it. Weirdo.

Agree on the Sensitivity.
The parallel to a certain whack job American political leader is spot on.

The team needs to show some semblance of competence on offense this year, especially in the passing game. I'm not as concerned about the overall record for this season, but if we don't have improvement on offense, Ash probably needs to go.

Reactions: AshHeap
Sure. I have never posted under BigTenEMU
You do realize that the mods know that your name was created immediately after BigTenEMU, I mean BigTenRutgers was banned and that you’ve petitioned to be allowed to stay right? So lying about who you are is only making this worse

Reactions: TRU2RU
I didn't lie about anything and it's none of your business in the first place.
But we all know you are lying about being the poster formerly known as BigTen... not only are your posting tendencies the same but more importantly the Mods can confirm it based on your registration...just come clean and we can all happily move on...we KNOW you will eventually bring up losing to EMU

At this point the mods should lock this thread since it's so off topic that the troll is calling others trolls...lol

The team needs to show some semblance of competence on offense this year, especially in the passing game. I'm not as concerned about the overall record for this season, but if we don't have improvement on offense, Ash probably needs to go.
Agree. I think at least 5 wins is important, but if we had a 4-8 year with a bunch of close losses that might be enough to save his job. If it's 4-8 with numerous blowouts and another WTF loss to the likes of Kansas, Buffalo or Texas State, Coach Ash will be packing his bags.

posters-big-hamburger-french-fries-and-vegetables.jpg

Agree. I think at least 5 wins is important, but if we had a 4-8 year with a bunch of close losses that might be enough to save his job. If it's 4-8 with numerous blowouts and another WTF loss to the likes of Kansas, Buffalo or Texas State, Coach Ash will be packing his bags.
You are wrong on many fronts. Mmmm. Your posts seem very familiar like a previous troll but now you have a new name. How clever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT