ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Artist renderings of potential renovations of Jersey Mike's Arena

I hate that we’re seeing a beautiful new entry and hall that’s facing a massive parking lot !!!

We have this incredible open lawn and space. Put it there !! Let it face the campus and add to the campus appearance and appeal. It’ll tie it in .

The entry way should be facing the massive open lawn and the rest of campus and the roadway where all the guests drive through. That’s super important!!

picfamous-abstract-art-5.jpg
Non-representational artist's rendering of how the new Jersey Mike's Arena will make you feel.

The renovation is significantly easier and more effective by expanding towards the parking lot and side of the building.

From what I can see, if you work on both sides, you could expand the entrance and exit to the lots and provide more plumbing for rest rooms on both sides or all 4 corners of the building.

Leave the front of the RAC alone and it will continue to trap the noise into and onto the court.

After looking at the renderings and taking the survey I have completely changed my mind about RAC renovation. Build new! The renovation goal is clearly focused on premium seating. I understand why that is one of the two major focuses but unfortunately it just does not work in that building. If they limited the renovation to entrance/lobby, bathrooms and concessions RAC renovation is a reasonable approach - but cramming all the luxury seating into a space limited area is not going to work.

I hadn’t considered the idea of just moving the entrance area toward the parking lot and expanding within the existing structure. Seems like a really smart, cost effective way of upgrading that could be completed reasonably quickly.

After looking at the renderings and taking the survey I have completely changed my mind about RAC renovation. Build new! The renovation goal is clearly focused on premium seating. I understand why that is one of the two major focuses but unfortunately it just does not work in that building. If they limited the renovation to entrance/lobby, bathrooms and concessions RAC renovation is a reasonable approach - but cramming all the luxury seating into a space limited area is not going to work.
Yeah I don’t want to lose the rac. . But these renderings look like just force feeding more expensive seating into the place . Good chance with this the RAC loses its charm and some regular folks get priced out

The renovation is significantly easier and more effective by expanding towards the parking lot and side of the building.

From what I can see, if you work on both sides, you could expand the entrance and exit to the lots and provide more plumbing for rest rooms on both sides or all 4 corners of the building.

Leave the front of the RAC alone and it will continue to trap the noise into and onto the court.

That makes sense and costs / timing are huge huge factors in this project.

The initial renderings from Tim P’s days had a beautiful proposal for the front lobby which I thought accomplished keeping the noise inside and appealing to the campus.

With The parking lot facing option I feel like we sacrifice the charter of the campus and the building forever by doing that.

Reactions: SF88 and RUJMM78

Agreed love to plans
Looks awesome and preserves the feel and sound on the inside

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I hate that we’re seeing a beautiful new entry and hall that’s facing a massive parking lot !!!

We have this incredible open lawn and space. Put it there !! Let it face the campus and add to the campus appearance and appeal. It’ll tie it in .

The entry way should be facing the massive open lawn and the rest of campus and the roadway where all the guests drive through. That’s super important!!

In the survey, they indicate that they may use the lawn to host outdoor events.

I agree. It does sound like they have plans for that grassy area. Pop up restaurants/out door beer garden, other events, etc. Hopefully they use that space well.

The renderings also show the removal of the 300 level bleacher type seating and the installation of chairbacks - with those changes and all the space used for luxury seems to me capacity will be actually be reduced from the current 8000 to the 7500 range - totally inadequate. Any plan for renovation that does not increased capacity to the 9500 - 10000 range is a total fail.

lipstick on a pig.

Yeah I don’t want to lose the rac. . But these renderings look like just force feeding more expensive seating into the place . Good chance with this the RAC loses its charm and some regular folks get priced out
I have been a center court season ticketholder since 1980 and stopped answering the online survey questions today at the point of having to choose between two ridiculous choices.

The premium seating plans, upscale options, and pricing resemble what you find at Yankee stadium or the Knicks.

Madness - might alienate their loyal base.

Reactions: bac2therac

Spot on comment.Makes no sense to have the entrance on the green parking lot side of the RAC.

Reactions: SF88 and bac2therac
The renderings also show the removal of the 300 level bleacher type seating and the installation of chairbacks - with those changes and all the space used for luxury seems to me capacity will be actually be reduced from the current 8000 to the 7500 range - totally inadequate. Any plan for renovation that does not increased capacity to the 9500 - 10000 range is a total fail.

lipstick on a pig.
You're not factoring into the equation the corner buildouts of the student section, moving it closer to the court (adding seats), and the buildout of 118 and above

I'd be shocked if capacity fell below 8k, and wasn't in the 9500-10k range when it's all said and done

** Edit - My bad, I didn't see the above pic w/the source saying below 8k. If so, I'm very surprised

lipstick on a pig.
Another spot on comment.Less seating means less revenue from ticket sales and parking unless the prices are going to be significantly increased.

Agree to disagree, makes it easier for people to walk straight up into the arena instead of walking around to main entrance which will now be a side entrance.
What about the other people who park on the side with the practice facility?

FWIW my opinion is premium seats make sense (can't fight economics) but they should not be courtside. You can give the big spenders all the ambience needed from the 200 or 300 level. Leave the first level to the diehards and keep that competitive advantage (loudness). That said, the theater-style-waitress-brings-food-tv-right-in-front-of-you seats - I can see the appeal.

In the survey, they indicate that they may use the lawn to host outdoor events.
In the Winter?

confused1.gif

My only thought, the Club seat side will not be well represented as most will be in the lounge. Those people don't come for the game but for the scene. It's the same in the Audi Club. Kiss your RAC advantage away.

Last edited:
In the Winter?

confused1.gif

From the survey, it seems they’re trying to build with additional revenue raisers in mind, including hosting concerts and events both indoors and outdoors. If they put the entrance there, it would take away seating on the lawn and the ability to maximize the space. As Richie pointed out, the side entrance would be more convenient for the vast majority who park in the lots. I’m sure it’ll look great.

Reactions: koleszar
You're not factoring into the equation the corner buildouts of the student section, moving it closer to the court (adding seats), and the buildout of 118 and above

I'd be shocked if capacity fell below 8k, and wasn't in the 9500-10k range when it's all said and done

** Edit - My bad, I didn't see the above pic w/the source saying below 8k. If so, I'm very surprised

Think 8k is too low. They should be trying to get to 12-15k. Pretty much all of the seats are already sold - might as well be looking to add another 4-7k season tickets at 500+ to fund a lot of the work.

Think 8k is too low. They should be trying to get to 12-15k. Pretty much all of the seats are already sold - might as well be looking to add another 4-7k season tickets at 500+ to fund a lot of the work.
Agree 8k is too low, the goal should be between 9500 and 10,500
I assume that's why they're going big on the pricing to compensate for decreased/stagnant seating
Usually teams/schools will go a bit big to offer some less expensive options
Very surprised here

Did not reply only because I am no longer a season ticket holder for MBB. After reviewing what amounts to a big nothing upgrade and losing 500 seats on top of it going to 7500 seats is typical of Rutgers ( past) . Now , maybe we are not seeing the full picture of why this is good. You either do it right now or don’t bother. Can not fathom that still we have no clue of how to raise 1/2 from large business groups and the remainder from state funding . Maybe we can borrow from the Build Back Better program?

• Haha
Reactions: RUskoolie
I can't imagine there's much demand for the super luxurious fan experience. It's college basketball. It's a two hour event. It's Piscataway NJ. There aren't going to be Wall Street types taking clients out.

For the love of God just fill in the corners, move the students closer (behind the basket only, not the sideline seats), build a couple of luxury suites or whatever if you have to, add the bathrooms and a nice concourse/entrance and be done with it.

The survey was pretty alarming to me in that they are putting such a huge emphasis on $300-$800 per game luxury options. No one is paying that.

So a few weeks ago or months ago the last time it was heavily discussed I said this.

The goal of the dollars earmarked for the e stadium is for new premium seating and better infrastructure for general hospitality. This is not unique to Rutgers, this is the model at all sports levels.

The best way to accommodate that to optimize design and cost was/is to build new.

The best thing for everyone would’ve been the long dreamed about downtown arena near the train station. Absolute gin scenario for so many parties involved. Maybe securing space there was never possible.

But either way building new is certainly best but I do like this reno so far I think they are doing the best that is possible.

Not loving the renovation plans.

Looks like a plan from our competition to kill the atmosphere and home court advantage the team currently enjoys at the RAC.

Either build a new place or just leave it alone.

Id prefer we build a new place. Can get the acoustics down to make it loud - something an addition 5-7k fans would help with.

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Not increasing capacity is a HUGE fail. Totally against this. You’re displacing loyal season ticket holders for corporate box seats. Corporate boxes are usually not fans and people invited because they are clients or for business reasons. I know as I have been on both sides of this.

Another spot on comment.Less seating means less revenue from ticket sales and parking unless the prices are going to be significantly increased.
Well, higher prices for everything are inevitable, particularly as the compensation required for higher caliber players continues to escalate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT