ADVERTISEMENT

Ash = GRob

Sadly, you are correct...except Grob was good enough for one good win in his career (Notre dame) that coach ash won’t have

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Ive been saying Ash=Schafer

DC who talked a big game upon hiring.
Followed a professional CEO-type coach who left for NFL (Schiano/Flood, Marrone) that may have maxed out his stay.
Totally over his head on the offensive side of the ball with scared, conservative, meathead coaching.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
oh-my-god-gif-15.gif

Ive been saying Ash=Schafer

DC who talked a big game upon hiring.
Followed a professional CEO-type coach who left for NFL (Schiano/Flood, Marrone) that may have maxed out his stay.
Totally over his head on the offensive side of the ball with scared, conservative, meathead coaching.
That's an insult to Scott Shafer, who was 14-23 after 3 seasons.

While the on field results may be similar and disappointing, I don't think that's a fair comparison. GRob's press conferences and public speaking events were legendary - and not in a good way. They were always good for a few cringeworthy laughs. I'll always remember his version of "The Little Engine that Could" (see below). I don't think Ash's press conferences and public appearances have been anything close to this bad. I don't always like what Ash says, but at least his delivery sounds more like a head coach.

I would actually say that Diaco's persona was more like Robinson, often leaving me saying "I can't believe his said that." Specifically, I'm thinking about some of his UConn football "commercials," as well as the Civil Conflict trophy. Those were really embarrassing.

It’s honestly hard to be as bad as Ash has been but he coaches games like a loser. He doesn’t make any attempt to win. Never gambles. Coaches like he still has OSU personnel and that he can just out athlete you and win. No fake punts, surprise onside. No punt blocks, no sellout blitzes. Punts anytime he can. He makes the odds of him winning a game so slim every time he coaches.

But hey, Hobbs feels like we should go bowling in 2019 and all of that will change despite 36 games of evidence. Thanks Pat!

It’s honestly hard to be as bad as Ash has been but he coaches games like a loser. He doesn’t make any attempt to win. Never gambles. Coaches like he still has OSU personnel and that he can just out athlete you and win. No fake punts, surprise onside. No punt blocks, no sellout blitzes. Punts anytime he can. He makes the odds of him winning a game so slim every time he coaches.

But hey, Hobbs feels like we should go bowling in 2019 and all of that will change despite 36 games of evidence. Thanks Pat!
You forgot the third down timeouts on defense that 9 or 10 times out of 10 result in a first down and/or a huge play for the opponent's offense.

Where did Hobbs say he feels like we should go bowling in 2019? That would be a really foolish position to take after this year's aborted pre-season bowl talk.

The similarity with GRob has occurred to me several times, mostly this season. I recall going to the RU game in the Dome in 2007, which RU won handily, and then listening on Syracuse radio to their GRob interview afterward. The man seemed delusional, with no clue about what had just happened. Our situation seems quite similar to theirs 11 years ago.

You forgot the third down timeouts on defense that 9 or 10 times out of 10 result in a first down and/or a huge play for the opponent's offense.

Where did Hobbs say he feels like we should go bowling in 2019? That would be a really foolish position to take after this year's aborted pre-season bowl talk.

Why else would Hobbs bring him back if he didn't think this guy was about to turn the corner? (Besides money). You don't bring him back just to fire him if he wins 3-4 games in 2019. That would cost more than firing him in 2018 would have.

Why else would Hobbs bring him back if he didn't think this guy was about to turn the corner? (Besides money). You don't bring him back just to fire him if he wins 3-4 games in 2019. That would cost more than firing him in 2018 would have.

Well, Greg Robinson won 1 game his first year, 4 games his second year, and 2 games his third year. He was brought back for a fourth year, and was 2-8 when he was fired. He won his last game that season to get to 3-9, but had been let go before the final two games of the year. When fired, Robinson had 1 year left on his deal at $1.1 million.

Those results are almost the same as Ash. The good news is that the coach that followed Robinson, one of the worst college football coaches of all time, won 4, 8, 5, and 8 games in his four years there (the 8 win seasons were 7-5 regular seasons and included a bowl win).

For decent coaches, it is not rocket science to get to competency.

Ash is better. G rob was worse P5 coach ever. Cuse is still recovering from him. Better days are ahead. Dino just extended his contract.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
Ash is better. G rob was worse P5 coach ever. Cuse is still recovering from him. Better days are ahead. Dino just extended his contract.

Well that sucks about Babers.
Being reported as "long term".
Guesses of 4mil/year.

I'd say SU is recovered.

Both won 7 games their first 3 years so it’s a dead heat. Doofus has another year to beat out G-Rob for the title. And it’ll take a decade to get back on track once doofus is fired next year so no advantage there for G-rob

Of course one guy took over a program that had regressed but had full roster, no infractions by the preceeding regime, and a conference which had just had lost a bunch of their top schools to realignment ...another took over a roster missing 20 or so scholarship players, facing NCAA infractions and possibly the toughest division in college football.

Ash has not been good....but don't let these facts get in the way of your comparison.

Of course one guy took over a program that had regressed but had full roster, no infractions by the preceeding regime, and a conference which had just had lost a bunch of their top schools to realignment ...another took over a roster missing 20 or so scholarship players, facing NCAA infractions and possibly the toughest division in college football.

Ash has not been good....but don't let these facts get in the way of your comparison.

What blows up every one of these type of comparisons is getting blown out by Buffalo and Kansas in year 3. They have nothing to do with who is in the conference, previous regimes, or anything else.

No one expected to beat Ohio State. They did expect to compete with Buffalo and Kansas.

Reactions: ATIOH and JoeRU0304
What blows up every one of these type of comparisons is getting blown out by Buffalo and Kansas in year 3. They have nothing to do with who is in the conference, previous regimes, or anything else.

No one expected to beat Ohio State. They did expect to compete with Buffalo and Kansas.

...also the complete mismanagement of the QB spot, and changing offensive philosophies 3X in 3 years, and our recruiting struggles.

Joe P.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
They won 8 games two years after GRob was fired.
A good replacement doesnt change how bad Grob was. I was told that Marrone thought they had 30 kids in deserving of a D1 scholasrship when he got to cuse. He immediately pushed out 30 players, brought in some Juco's, and developed his 2 stars that no one else wanted. Grob left him nothing. He had Delone Carter and couple of under achieving Wr's. Cuse had nothing besides that when Marrone got there.

A good replacement doesnt change how bad Grob was. I was told that Marrone thought they had 30 kids in deserving of a D1 scholasrship when he got to cuse. He immediately pushed out 30 players, brought in some Juco's, and developed his 2 stars that no one else wanted. Grob left him nothing. He had Delone Carter and couple of under achieving Wr's. Cuse had nothing besides that when Marrone got there.

What do you think ash is going to leave rutgers?

What do you think ash is going to leave rutgers?
There's some decent talent on the roster. Young team. Pacheco is a stud, Sit and the Wr's will get better, defense was solid towards the end. Couldn't say that about Cuse when Grob was fired. We had to put a kid at QB that didn't play football for 4 years. That says a lot about what was left there. The difference is the level of competition. Big Ten East is way better than what the Big East was.

It took three coaches and ten years for Syracuse football to recover from Robinson and become relevant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT