ADVERTISEMENT

Ash to Keep Entire Staff Intact

Disagree... assts. that are fired are usually let go at end of season...ones that are moving on, usually are close to, or after signing day

The last 2 years NU has fired an assistant the day after regular season ended(DLine coach last year, special teams coach last Saturday). The coaches that took upgrade in jobs left after signing day or everybody knew they were going to leave because of a new hire where the assistant had a long history with a new or changing head coach. Any coaches that were to be fired would be done for the short recruiting period that schools are currently in. It's all hands on deck for the next 2 weeks. Can't have a lame duck coach that the head man knows he is firing out recruiting.

Reactions: jerzey devil
Quick fix - get a kicker and that takes care of KO s. We usually don't return KOs so that's the other half. Only have to learn to coach the punt teams and we're ahead of the game.

Last edited:
The last 2 years NU has fired an assistant the day after regular season ended(DLine coach last year, special teams coach last Saturday). The coaches that took upgrade in jobs left after signing day or everybody knew they were going to leave because of a new hire where the assistant had a long history with a new or changing head coach. Any coaches that were to be fired would be done for the short recruiting period that schools are currently in. It's all hands on deck for the next 2 weeks. Can't have a lame duck coach that the head man knows he is firing out recruiting.

Last part happens all the time, sometimes the assistant even knows.

shouldda got Mark Richt ... but nnooooo
He sure does know his coachin'. But do y'all really think he would'a fit in 'round here? I'm thinkin he would'a felt surrounded by a bunch a godless Yankees and might not have been entirely happy here.

Richt isn't a program building guy to me, more of the turnkey type. But Miami isn't exactly the epitome of the Bible Belt.

He sure does know his coachin'. But do y'all really think he would'a fit in 'round here? I'm thinkin he would'a felt surrounded by a bunch a godless Yankees and might not have been entirely happy here.
Mark Richt's first year at Miami 8-4/5-3 with all of Al Golden's recruits.
That's the same record Al Golden/Larry Scott recorded a year earlier.
Mark Richt lost to Notre Dame this year.
What does this prove--we should have hired Al Golden, not Mark Richt! Where's @RUaMoose ?

Mark Richt's first year at Miami 8-4/5-3 with all of Al Golden's recruits.
That's the same record Al Golden/Larry Scott recorded a year earlier.
Mark Richt lost to Notre Dame this year.
What does this prove--we should have hired Al Golden, not Mark Richt! Where's @RUaMoose ?
LOL

Continuity good, particularly for OC and DC. Ok with keeping staff in place for next year too if on field improvement shown.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Don't totally disagree, but continuity is needed. I'm willing to give a pass for this year.

Agree.
Stability is important and this should help in Recruiting and returning players feeling comfortable with the players.

Were these coaches given 2 year contracts to come here? My guess is yes.
Only DC and OC are on two year deals. All others are on one year deals. That's usually how it's done through out college football.

Coaching staff was magnificent this year...not only should they all be retained...they should get extensions and raises.....innovation; creativity and playcalling was superb this year

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Impressed that Ash held off from listening to some of the Armchair QB's on this board who called for wholesale coaching staff changes.

Btw, where are those armchair QB's in this thread ? Come on, show yourself, varmints, ha !

Impressed that Ash held off from listening to some of the Armchair QB's on this board who called for wholesale coaching staff changes.

Btw, where are those armchair QB's in this thread ? Come on, show yourself, varmints, ha !

It may be too early to gloat.

here,s how you can look at Ash,s statement.
1. Its just Coach speak..any changes to staff will be made after signing day.
2. There will be reassignments for position coach(s) to/or from active coach to off field type coach.This would still allow for an addition of a asst field active coach.
3. There will be an addition to staff with new NCAA guidelines in April
4. Ash is being overly stubborn or loyal to certain coach(s) in obvious postions that need an upgrade..(special teams are DIV3 LEVEL).
I still think Partridge is being added..and in near future.

here,s how you can look at Ash,s statement.
1. Its just Coach speak..any changes to staff will be made after signing day.
2. There will be reassignments for position coach(s) to/or from active coach to off field type coach.This would still allow for an addition of a asst field active coach.
3. There will be an addition to staff with new NCAA guidelines in April
4. Ash is being overly stubborn or loyal to certain coach(s) in obvious postions that need an upgrade..(special teams are DIV3 LEVEL).
I still think Partridge is being added..and in near future.
5. Ash believes it is the Jimmy's & the Joe's and not the X's & O's.

No sense whining over coaches that are staying.
I did my part by suggesting moving the DL coach to STC and the STC to DL coach.
And I was wearing my hat while being an armchair HC switching 2 of Ash's staff around like I was HC.
Wearing this gives me that right :
coach+hat.jpg
[roll][banana]:cool2:[cheers]

Reactions: Knightmoves
No surprise at all.
If he really did an honest assessment, then fine (great, in fact).

Being a strong-willed head coach is a great thing... being stubborn is not. Time will tell.

OK

I'll play.

Based upon my observations from watching a number of Rutgers football games this year I think some staff changes were in order (IMHO as an armchair QB). Placing all (100%) of Rutgers problems on the lack of talent (again IMO) is scapgoating some of the coaching issues.

Just because ASH decided to keep his entire staff intact doesn't mean it is the correct decision it just means he is the head coach.

What was surprising was that you guys were returning 9 of 10 on the OL from the year before including starting 4 SR OL and couldn't score many points (part of talent issue).

As of now that is my opinion and after next season if proven wrong will acknowledge such.

To be continued.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Stability breeds success.