ADVERTISEMENT

Ash v Al Golden

Couldn't win at Miami?

Who wouldn't sign up for 32-25 in 4+ years at RU?

If Schiano couldn't win the Big East..what makes you think he'd win the Big Ten?

Golden would have been a great hire.
He was under .500 in conference overall and 2 out of the 4 full years he coached there. He was at a program that could be considered blue blood nationally and most definitely blue blood within the ACC. Not to mention for whatever reason he was tied to Mark D as his DC and he never did anything all that great if you look at their stats over the years.

We are nothing close to a blue blood in the B10 so if he can't do better in the ACC with some inherent advantages what would he do here with all our inherent disadvantages in the B10.

This isn't about Ash because it's too early on him anyway but I always like talking about coach hiring philosophy, pretend AD so to speak. For me I try to look for guys who've shown some ability to do more with less. Al Golden's Miami stint doesn't make me confident in him fitting that mold.

Couldn't win at Miami?

If Schiano couldn't win the Big East..what makes you think he'd win the Big Ten?

He was .500 in conference overall and 2 out of the 4 full years he coached there. He was at a program that could be considered blue blood nationally and most definitely blue blood within the ACC. Not to mention for whatever reason he was tied to Mark D as his DC and he never did anything all that great if you look at their stats over the years.

We are nothing close to a blue blood in the B10 so if he can't do better in the ACC with some inherent advantages what would he do here with all our inherent disadvantages in the B10.

This isn't about Ash because it's too early on him anyway but I always like talking about coach hiring philosophy, pretend AD so to speak. For me I try to look for guys who've shown some ability to do more with less. Al Golden's Miami stint doesn't make me confident in him fitting that mold.

Who wouldn't sign up for 500 in conference??

He was never set up to succeed at Miami. From day 1 they tried to drive him out and get a true Hurricane in there. And he still managed a decent record.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Who wouldn't sign up for 500 in conference??

He was never set up to succeed at Miami. From day 1 they tried to drive him out and get a true Hurricane in there. And he still managed a decent record.
That was a typo, you replied before I fixed it. He was under .500 in conference overall and 2 out of the 4 years he was there. He's got a great recruiting ground and talent advantage over most of the ACC outside of FSU and Clemson. If he can only manage below .500 in the ACC where he's got advantages how can you translate that to .500 in the B10 where we have tons of disadvantages. Sure I would take .500 in conference in the B10 but I don't see him delivering when he didn't in the ACC at a program like Miami.

Reactions: Block R
Couldn't win at Miami?

Umm, no.
2011: Lost to 2-10 Maryland and 4-8 BC
2012: Lost to 4-8 Virginia
2013: Lost to 5-7 Virginia; lost to 6-6 Pitt
2014: Lost to Cincinnati;

Signature wins: None.
(As an aside, did beat Ohio State in 2011, but they sucked that year).
This is for da U, with stellar talent. At Rutgers, such results would be celebrated (beating the middling to mediocre teams in the ACC and OOC cupcakes).

Reactions: NotInRHouse
And he'll be an outsider at Rutgers with the questions of will he leave for Penn State when Franklin leaves for greener pastures hanging over Rutgers. Wouldn't be the first time a Penn State guy screwed over Rutgers.

I can authoritatively tell you that Al Golden will never be the head coach at PSU. Never! His active recruitment of Reggie Dixon all but killed any chance he had for coaching at PSU.

Hung out with some of the guys over the weekend. Was told Ash does not inspire confidence in the team and is not a leader of a head coach.
Hopefully you are not a troll..
So you are saying the team wasnt prepared to Play due to Ash lack of leadership?
You hung out with guys on team? whaa..?

Couldn't win at Miami?

In the ACC, in the most talent rich county in America, at a respected program in a city every young man in America would like?

Schiano was a play from winning the BE in 3 different years. His resume crushes Golden's. And, he didn't spend years negatively recruiting against us and tie himself to a DC that impugned our program.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Schiano actually beat ranked teams and teams with a winning record.\

He would kill it here being able to recruit the B1G. Are we going to be tOSU or Michigan, ever? No. Could we be Iowa? Yeah. We could, but not like this.

Couldn't win at Miami?

In the ACC, in the most talent rich county in America, at a respected program in a city every young man in America would like?

Schiano was a play from winning the BE in 3 different years. His resume crushes Golden's. And, he didn't spend years negatively recruiting against us and tie himself to a DC that impugned our program.

A knock on Golden shouldn't be he recruited negatively against us. That's part of coaching.

He was at Temple and Miami..schools we recruited against. Of course he's gonna negatively recruit us.

I wouldn't say crushes. Very similar. Good program builders...both never win conference but cane very close.

Not sure why Schiano would be a great hire but Golden wouldn't.

And he'll be an outsider at Rutgers with the questions of will he leave for Penn State when Franklin leaves for greener pastures hanging over Rutgers. Wouldn't be the first time a Penn State guy screwed over Rutgers.
He wouldn't have been at Rutgers. He a New Jersey native, a former NJ high school coach. I think he would have been well received. Ash is a far more of an outsider and if succeful the same question if he will leave will pop up.

Reactions: RU31trap
A knock on Golden shouldn't be he recruited negatively against us. That's part of coaching.

He was at Temple and Miami..schools we recruited against. Of course he's gonna negatively recruit us.

I wouldn't say crushes. Very similar. Good program builders...both never win conference but cane very close.

Because Schiano made the worst program in D1 into a team selected by the B1G and Golden kept Miami mediocre. Schiano loved RU, Golden trashed us. Golden is also the only coach who went so hard against us that it would be really be considered in hiring. How many bowl wins from Golden, how many no-star players in the NFL, etc. Schiano also does not bring along D'Onofrio and has ties to the most respected college and NFL coaches.

Because Schiano made the worst program in D1 into a team selected by the B1G and Golden kept Miami mediocre. Schiano loved RU, Golden trashed us. Golden is also the only coach who went so hard against us that it would be really be considered in hiring. How many bowl wins from Golden, how many no-star players in the NFL, etc. Schiano also does not bring along D'Onofrio and has ties to the most respected college and NFL coaches.
Completely agree. When I say the same thing you just said about Golden, I'm an idiot.

Golden transformed Temple as Schiano transformed RU. And of course Schiano loved us...he worked for us

You think Golden would continue to trash us if we hired him? You don't think Schiano talks down on us while recruiting for OSU? C'mon...

Schiano did all he could here. Which was great at the time. But he's not taking us any higher..

Golden's tenure at Temple was severely added by one fact: Though Temple was kicked out of the BE, the resources that Temple had at the time as compared to other MAC schools were far more than the others had. Jason Whitlock wrote a great article on it at the time.

You saw what Golden was made of when other programs had resources even close to those that he had at Miami.

Golden was the ultimate mirage. Now the gigs up. Which is why he is a low profile positional coach in the NFL. Guy hasn't gotten a sniff since Miami. And won't from any real program ever.

Golden transformed Temple as Schiano transformed RU. And of course Schiano loved us...he worked for us

You think Golden would continue to trash us if we hired him? You don't think Schiano talks down on us while recruiting for OSU? C'mon...

Schiano did all he could here. Which was great at the time. But he's not taking us any higher..

Not really. I would not say Temple was transformed to the extent RU was- there was a point in 2006 where we were one of 3 undefeated teams. All the NFL players. The stadium expansion- they still are off campus.

I don't think Schiano trashes us, nor anyone to the extent we took from Golden and D'Onofrio.

Schiano could make a big difference with B1G recruiting. Golden could not move Miami with the best recruiting base in the country.

It took him six years to beat a ranked team. Cmon man.

Yes, he also inherited a team that never won a bowl, never had a first round pick, never beaten a top 3 team

How about Ash?
Well for starters, a team dealing with 7 NCAA violations due to player arrests, failed drug tests that were hidden from the AD, and a coach who made improper contact with a professor over a player's grade. Should I go on?

Well for starters, a team dealing with 7 NCAA violations due to player arrests, failed drug tests that were hidden from the AD, and a coach who made improper contact with a professor over a player's grade. Should I go on?

Yes, when Urban called to recommend Ash did he call the dean in Newark?

Some here would be hell to play poker with. Rabbit Hunting all the time.Clue: The past is History.It would be nice to be able to enjoy the Present.The last game is making that very difficult,

Golden was successful at Temple and deserved to be hired at a big program. Miami had been on the decline with Coker and Shannon kept things in the 7 win range. Somewhere in there were sanctions. Golden stayed in the 7 win range too but they did have some tough OOC games like OSU, KSUX2, ND, Neb, Florida. They canned him midseason after a blowout loss to Clemson, which I thought was unfair. He was 4-3 with losses to No. 6 Clemson, No. 12 Fla St and a Cincy team that went on to win 7 games.

I would have liked an experienced HC with local connections so he would have met that for me, but there was the PSU pedigree and the rumors of him badmouthing RU, so that was a concern. But lets be real, he has more credibility as a HC than Ash right now, and if we could go back to the past with the knowledge we have today, I think most would go with Golden.

Reactions: RU31trap

True!! He took us as far as the school allowed him to go.

Golden was successful at Temple and deserved to be hired at a big program. Miami had been on the decline with Coker and Shannon kept things in the 7 win range. Somewhere in there were sanctions. Golden stayed in the 7 win range too but they did have some tough OOC games like OSU, KSUX2, ND, Neb, Florida. They canned him midseason after a blowout loss to Clemson, which I thought was unfair. He was 4-3 with losses to No. 6 Clemson, No. 12 Fla St and a Cincy team that went on to win 7 games.

I would have liked an experienced HC with local connections so he would have met that for me, but there was the PSU pedigree and the rumors of him badmouthing RU, so that was a concern. But lets be real, he has more credibility as a HC than Ash right now, and if we could go back to the past with the knowledge we have today, I think most would go with Golden.
At the very least Golden would have been a common sense move for Rutgers. But now let's look at reality. He would have demanded more money which Barchi was not willing to spend. But it's borderline foolish to compare a proven and experienced head coach to a DC who has no head coaching experience. I'll keep saying it until I turn blue in the face. The hiring of CA revolved around two significant issues.

1) clean up the program
2) he was cheap!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT