ADVERTISEMENT

Athan Kaliakmanis "Clearly Won" the Starting Job Per Greg Schiano

Not Funny Whatever GIF by AutoTraderUK

You were wrong. Admit it.

I try to base base opinions on primary sources (to a degree).
Gopher forums and Reddit threads showed vast majority of Gophers were glad to see AK leave.
A couple thought he could get better with more work.

The fact that Minn passing offense was 126th (and that with an All B1G WR) and RU was 127th, militates against any big difference in passing games. The biggest difference was that DW had more combined TDs (16-20). GW had 2 rushing TDs in a game 4 times.

Of course there were a few more clicks of accuracy for AK but he also threw shorter passes.
I count TDs over passing % because if those mattered so much Vedral was a top QB.

I know GW had accuracy issues and could see him replaced by a better QB - I just dont think AK is one.
He was called "a great practice QB" by observers
I don't lose track of the fact the RU coaches have long been bad at offense and especially QBs.
Schiano, Kirk and Fleck all have a history of lame offenses.
Schiano got lucky in Rice years and Kirk got lucky in Minn for one season with 2 NFL WRs .
Minn has never repeated 2019, and their passing still sucks running the ghost of KC's offense.

All three coaches are dedicated worshipers at the altar of what I call "prevent offenses" where avoiding turnovers means running an offense with training wheels. Greg hasn't had a legit good red zone offense ever.

Most announcers made note of fact that GW should have been running more. But of course GS is genetically averse to running QBs. GW in a real RPO would have been very good in an offense that could pass long (and Schiano said RU was not one in 2023).

I hope all do well in 2024, and with RU's badly needed WR upgrades I could see RU doing better - at least between the 20s. When RU passing was good it was mostly between the 20s. Some offensive tendencies get feathered at RU but like Minn the basics stay the same

For 2023:

" Quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis is the beacon of hope for fans wanting the team to become more aggressive on offense.

"We still have our same philosophical beliefs. That will never change," Fleck said.

To suggest that going from Tanner Morgan to Kaliakmanis will overhaul the team's approach is incorrect. However, a few newcomers and key departures necessitate adaptation.

The offense may not become "pass-happy," but rather "pass-savvy."

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has a secret — and it could be about the team's offense

It didn't work.

How can this be? I saw on these very boards that Wimsatt is a Heisman candidate . . .
He just needs to improve his consistency of being inconsistent over the last 3 yrs.. Just look at what he did against Wagner there's your potential of consistency.

I try to base base opinions on primary sources (to a degree).
Gopher forums and Reddit threads showed vast majority of Gophers were glad to see AK leave.
A couple thought he could get better with more work.

The fact that Minn passing offense was 126th (and that with an All B1G WR) and RU was 127th, militates against any big difference in passing games. The biggest difference was that DW had more combined TDs (16-20). GW had 2 rushing TDs in a game 4 times.

Of course there were a few more clicks of accuracy for AK but he also threw shorter passes.
I count TDs over passing % because if those mattered so much Vedral was a top QB.

I know GW had accuracy issues and could see him replaced by a better QB - I just dont think AK is one.
He was called "a great practice QB" by observers
I don't lose track of the fact the RU coaches have long been bad at offense and especially QBs.
Schiano, Kirk and Fleck all have a history of lame offenses.
Schiano got lucky in Rice years and Kirk got lucky in Minn for one season with 2 NFL WRs .
Minn has never repeated 2019, and their passing still sucks running the ghost of KC's offense.

All three coaches are dedicated worshipers at the altar of what I call "prevent offenses" where avoiding turnovers means running an offense with training wheels. Greg hasn't had a legit good red zone offense ever.

Most announcers made note of fact that GW should have been running more. But of course GS is genetically averse to running QBs. GW in a real RPO would have been very good in an offense that could pass long (and Schiano said RU was not one in 2023).

I hope all do well in 2024, and with RU's badly needed WR upgrades I could see RU doing better - at least between the 20s. When RU passing was good it was mostly between the 20s. Some offensive tendencies get feathered at RU but like Minn the basics stay the same

For 2023:

" Quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis is the beacon of hope for fans wanting the team to become more aggressive on offense.

"We still have our same philosophical beliefs. That will never change," Fleck said.

To suggest that going from Tanner Morgan to Kaliakmanis will overhaul the team's approach is incorrect. However, a few newcomers and key departures necessitate adaptation.

The offense may not become "pass-happy," but rather "pass-savvy."

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has a secret — and it could be about the team's offense

It didn't work.

There may be other reasons as well, that the coaches don't disclose. Maybe GW couldn't learn the playbook quickly or maybe GW couldn't tell when a receiver was gong to cut off his rout based on the defense. It is very un Schiano like to scrap a 1.5 year investment in a player and start from scratch again, especially when GW didn't lose games with his play. That's why I think maybe there were other reasons besides accuracy that we don't know about.

Reactions: Plum Street
He just needs to improve his consistency of being inconsistent over the last 3 yrs.. Just look at what he did against Wagner there's your potential of consistency.
Here's another way to look at it, which was probably done before

GW had 9 games with a completion % under 50%, and 3 with 40% and under.
AK had 4 games under 50%, and 2 with 40% and under

Last year GW was consistently more inconsistent if that makes sense.
Seems that at least AK's floor is higher, as is his ceiling.

Athan clearly won the job,” Schiano said. “That’s why we announced it when we did. I also wanted to make sure that whoever didn’t win it, in this day of modern college football with the transfer portal, that they had a chance if they wanted to look elsewhere. I think that’s the wave of the future. If your team knows that you’re definitely there to win and get your degree, but you’re also going to try to help them individually in their pursuit.”

I think his accuracy,” Schiano said. “It was a pretty substantial difference.”

On the WR room:

That competition is really fierce,” Schiano said. “That all goes hand and glove with the quarterback position, the running back position, and obviously always it starts and ends with the offensive line. I’m encouraged that we’re getting better on offense and we need to.”

Reactions: RUPete
Thank you for stating that Gavin is an FCS QB. That's his level of consistency.

Reactions: koleszar
GW is a good athlete but not a QB. His inaccuracy was so off the charts that his athleticism could not overcome. I predict Kentucky will move him to a new position

Argue Bus is back. Fans wanted to see him do well since we hadn’t had a QB recruit like that for a long time. Coaches pulled the plug as have most fans. Move on. Nothing good comes out of “I told you so.”
While I would normally agree with your ending, the Gavin supporters were so steadfast that they acted like a-holes to anyone that disagreed.

eat-crow.jpg

• Love
Reactions: RAC93 and WhiteBus
Argue Bus is back. Fans wanted to see him do well since we hadn’t had a QB recruit like that for a long time. Coaches pulled the plug as have most fans. Move on. Nothing good comes out of “I told you so.”
Nothing comes out of picking the wrong horse. Jesus still defending him or actually defending yourself for staying true to a QB who couldn't throw up. It's time for you to move on. Don't take my word, take Schiano's.

Nothing comes out of picking the wrong horse. Jesus still defending him or actually defending yourself for staying true to a QB who couldn't throw up. It's time for you to move on. Don't take my word, take Schiano's.
Re-read my post. Then refer to the previous one. Not defending him at all. Very clear. Argue Bus at his very best or worst as the case may be. 😂

Re-read my post. Then refer to the previous one. Not defending him at all. Very clear. Argue Bus at his very best or worst as the case may be. 😂
I read your post. You were on the fans side obviously. But keep responding and arguing on great GW as you thought

While I would normally agree with your ending, the Gavin supporters were so steadfast that they acted like a-holes to anyone that disagreed.

eat-crow.jpg
See I don’t remember it that way. I remember a bunch of people bitching about his accuracy and a handful defending him. But who cares? Other than the folks who have to be right all the time. Hindsight is awesome!

Reactions: pmvon
I read your post. You were on the fans side obviously. But keep responding and arguing on great GW as you thought
Not even close Argue Bus. Yes, I wanted him to do well coming in the door but it was clear to me early last year he couldn’t read defenses and had happy feet when throwing the ball. He was guessing each time. I challenge you to find a pom pom waving post from me about GW.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT