ADVERTISEMENT

APP: Greg Schiano Part II is a bad idea, so who gets the job come December?

Whoever comes here, RU will still be very bad the first 2 seasons,
If it is Greg S., people will be calling for his head.
If it is another coach, people will be calling for Hobbs head (along with the coach)
Not sure if RU faithful will have the patience to go through another rebuild.

I predict a LOT of Fire ______ (insert name) the next 2 years

Typically the 1st year most fans give the HC a pass. 2nd year many fans want to see signs of improvements - clock starts ticking. 3rd year the real stuff kicks in. With Schiano, I believe he’d get a longer leash - 4 to 5 years before fans start going crazy. That’s why Schiano is one of the smart reasons for Hobbs to hire him. Rutgers fans will give him more time to rebuild.

I agree with that part of the post.....at least for a portion of the GS supporters.

I haven't counted, but I feel like there are maybe 5 or 6 GS supporters that I'd consider "damn it all" GS or bust types who think nobody else can do the job. I think the rest of us:

1. Don't appreciate that some here, in an effort to prove the point that they don't like GS, put more weight on GS not winning a conference championship than they do on him doing what many said could never happen at Rutgers (winning records, stadium sellouts, bowls, developing NFL caliber players... all while running a relatively clean program with good academic performance).

and...

2. Do believe that the job can be done by someone other than GS and would gladly take anybody who we could see coming in and doing what Greg did while improving on some of his shortcomings. But, for the money RU has proven it's willing to spend and its track record of football hires, we don't see anyone who we feel checks off all those boxes. There are gambles across the board. We feel, in program's current state, GS is less of a gamble than most of the likely candidates.

IF (big if) the RU administration truly has turned over a new leaf and is willing to put its big boy pants on regarding the new hire and his staff, I'd be ecstatic. I'm talking about a relatively low risk candidate who comes with the kind of clout to get good assistants and good players to follow him here. And, no I'm not necessarily talking about Urban Meyer.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Random thoughts...just thoughts.
Maybe GS is afraid to take the job? Failing twice to win BIG. Maybe way too much work required if he is really serious about family time, etc. That's up to him and not a criticism. His life.
However if he truly wants a significant HC position I don't know if he has much,option unless he's just holding out for Bucknell.
For me its got to be him or spending boatloads for a huge name. Shock the world level (for Rutgers). Only way you're infusing fan money and talent quickly.
Hoping Hobbs much success.

Schiano never won the Big East that even Connecticut was able to win once. How would he ever win the Big Ten?
What an easy question to answer, I’m surprised you even ask...
He can recruit, which is the only thing we need now, and his recruiting prowess has nothing to do with why he didn’t win the Big East.
That was easy

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...all-nunzio-campanile-greg-schiano/3859771002/

PISCATAWAY - I don't think Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs hiring Greg Schiano as his next football coach is a good idea.
I will give you a moment to get the yelling, eye-rolling and name-calling out of your system......ahem.......we good? OK, let's move forward.

We'll start there. Hobbs said on Monday he wants someone who can win Big Ten championships and get it to a Rose Bowl. Schiano may be beloved among this fan base, but the fact of the matter is, all of the recruiting wins and sending guys to the NFL was never enough to win the Big East. The version of Rutgers Schiano would be coming back to now deals with a much bigger monster in the Big Ten.

Schiano couldn't overcome Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati once upon a time, so color me skeptical when the Scarlet Knights are now dealing with Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Michigan every year. Assuming Schiano can start keeping at least some of New Jersey's best high school players home again, 7-5, 8-4 and bowl games should be on the table. Winning the Big Ten is not.

Besides, name the last sequel better than the original. Bobby Petrino at Louisville? Randy Edsall at UConn? Caddyshack II? Blues Brothers 2000? No, no, no, and definitely not.

Cool.

So let's hire Urban Meyer or Nick Saban.

What's the point of this jibberish?

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...all-nunzio-campanile-greg-schiano/3859771002/

PISCATAWAY - I don't think Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs hiring Greg Schiano as his next football coach is a good idea.
I will give you a moment to get the yelling, eye-rolling and name-calling out of your system......ahem.......we good? OK, let's move forward.

We'll start there. Hobbs said on Monday he wants someone who can win Big Ten championships and get it to a Rose Bowl. Schiano may be beloved among this fan base, but the fact of the matter is, all of the recruiting wins and sending guys to the NFL was never enough to win the Big East. The version of Rutgers Schiano would be coming back to now deals with a much bigger monster in the Big Ten.

Schiano couldn't overcome Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati once upon a time, so color me skeptical when the Scarlet Knights are now dealing with Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Michigan every year. Assuming Schiano can start keeping at least some of New Jersey's best high school players home again, 7-5, 8-4 and bowl games should be on the table. Winning the Big Ten is not.

Besides, name the last sequel better than the original. Bobby Petrino at Louisville? Randy Edsall at UConn? Caddyshack II? Blues Brothers 2000? No, no, no, and definitely not.

SIAP -- the writer is assuming that there is someone out there who can lead the team to B1G championships. I'm sorry to say this, but I think that's unrealistic, and that 7-5 and 8-4 are probably the best we can hope for except in a year when lightning strikes. The competition in our division is just too strong,and I think it's unlikely Rutgers wants to get into a spending war with schools like Ohio State and Penn State. If Schiano can take us back to bowl games (even ones with hokey names), that would be fine.

Kev--Any reasoning given? Hobbs doesn't want him--Hobbs drove him off with actions last time--GS truly not interested (as opposed to Hobbs getting that narrative out there???

Hobbs wasn't AD when Schiano coached here, so it can't be true that he "drove him off." But perhaps what you mean is that, from what the "experts" on this board say, Schiano and Hobbs have had a negative conversation about hiring Schiano.

Kev--Any reasoning given? Hobbs doesn't want him--Hobbs drove him off with actions last time--GS truly not interested (as opposed to Hobbs getting that narrative out there???

Unfortunately, I don't have details because this is second hand info. I was introduced to the person who made the comment the other day, but he said it to someone I'm close to when I was out of earshot. I didn't have the opportunity to ask him to elaborate. I wish I did 'cause I'm curious too. He's close enough to the program for the comment to get my attention, though.

For the most of these rumors, the tact I'm taking is to assume that there are only a handful of people who really know what's going on because things can change in a hurry. The rest, I'm treating as entertainment, in a weird, twisted kinda way. lol

What an easy question to answer, I’m surprised you even ask...
He can recruit, which is the only thing we need now, and his recruiting prowess has nothing to do with why he didn’t win the Big East.
That was easy

Cincinnati never recruited as well as we did. Yet when Brian Kelly took over he dominated Schiano and won the Big East. Xs and Os would seem to be more important. You can make all the excuses you want but Schiano never won the Big East and he never beat WVU, in 11 tries.

Thanks

As to driving him off, my reference was to the last time around when evidently GS came back after the Miami exploration and said he would do it and Hobbs said too late--Imagine that, rushing to Ash.

That sort of brush off could be driving someone away from wanting to get in a long term project where you have to interface with the AD a lot. Maybe GS wants the job, but doesn't want to work with a guy who treated him poorly last time...and who's judgment and desire for media interactions create concern.

SIAP -- the writer is assuming that there is someone out there who can lead the team to B1G championships. I'm sorry to say this, but I think that's unrealistic, and that 7-5 and 8-4 are probably the best we can hope for except in a year when lightning strikes. The competition in our division is just too strong,and I think it's unlikely Rutgers wants to get into a spending war with schools like Ohio State and Penn State. If Schiano can take us back to bowl games (even ones with hokey names), that would be fine.
Good points. Agreed

Cincinnati never recruited as well as we did. Yet when Brian Kelly took over he dominated Schiano and won the Big East. Xs and Os would seem to be more important. You can make all the excuses you want but Schiano never won the Big East and he never beat WVU, in 11 tries.
No excuses and I repeat ...GS can recruit, it’s far and away our biggest issue.
We have no players, are you saying someone could win with our current players with some kind of magical Xs and Os... lol

Reactions: R1766U and KevH
Random thoughts...just thoughts.
Maybe GS is afraid to take the job? Failing twice to win BIG. Maybe way too much work required if he is really serious about family time, etc. That's up to him and not a criticism. His life.
However if he truly wants a significant HC position I don't know if he has much,option unless he's just holding out for Bucknell.
For me its got to be him or spending boatloads for a huge name. Shock the world level (for Rutgers). Only way you're infusing fan money and talent quickly.
Hoping Hobbs much success.

I agree with all of the above. That's why, if GS is as smart as I think he is, he absolutely must have a list of things (call them demands if you want) he wants assured by Hobbs, Greg Brown, et al. Sure, he may not have P5 programs knocking down his door, but any coach worth a damn will know the history here and will want to be sure he's given the best chance to be successful. A quality coach will be interviewing Hobbs as much as Hobbs will be interviewing him.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
No excuses and I repeat ...GS can recruit, it’s far and away our biggest issue.
We have no players, are you saying someone could win with our current players with some kind of magical Xs and Os... lol

We need someone who can recruit and then win games with those recruits and I don't mean win games over Ball State. What good is a coach who recruits and can't beat anyone really good more than once in 11 years?

We need someone who can recruit and then win games with those recruits and I don't mean win games over Ball State. What good is a coach who recruits and can't beat anyone really good more than once in 11 years?
Are you sure you have a grasp of RU football history post 1980?
He’ll win plenty of games with his recruiting that produces NFL players and draft picks.
Obviously you’re expecting an unrealistic return to our glory years...oh wait

Simple, if someone better than Schiano , think resume ( lifetime W-L) and recent history , looks like a better choice Hobbs should grab him and forgetbout Schiano .
But if building Rutgers back to being a respectable program needs to happen , Hobbs should take into consideration that at the price range RU usually hies with, Greg might be one of the better choices available and deserves strong consideration

This idea, unless Hobbs changes Rutgers usual hiring policy where salary is concerned :
someone will take the job because of the money Rutgers will be paying Ash's replacement , makes me think the article Josh put out was random ideas base more on personal feelings than researching everything on his own to make sure what he's trying to imply takes in all the facts.
He doesn't seem to comprehend the top their candidates won't accept less to take on a possible career killer working for a school not known to fully back its football program .
Just because some might feel they can do what others failed to do, doesn't mean they'll accept less to try.

About the old and new improved (?) Greg
Schiano's last time he had a lot of flaws that cost RU games along with some attributes that brought home wins and built a program to be proud of but disappointed because it didn't reach expected heights.

The flaws that held him back as a HC Schiano said he realizes need to be change and he will make sure they aren't a problem anymore.
Hobbs needs to discuss that with Greg, but even if he likes what said, take iot with a grain of salt when comparing Greg to the other candidates that are willing to work for what RU offers

Greg is a great choice in the low rent district, but the higher priced choices should be offered before he is, if Rutgers decides to pay the going rate for a HC candidate that's pursued by other P-5 programs that's willing to pay his price.

Are you sure you have a grasp of RU football history post 1980?
He’ll win plenty of games with his recruiting that produces NFL players and draft picks.
Obviously you’re expecting an unrealistic return to our glory years...oh wait

How many times did he beat West Virginia? How many times did he win the Big East? He doesn't get to pad his schedule with easy wins against MAC teams in the Big Ten.

How many times did he beat West Virginia? How many times did he win the Big East? He doesn't get to pad his schedule with easy wins against MAC teams in the Big Ten.
LMAO
Give me the NFL level talent!
How many times did he beat USF, Pitt, Syracuse.
You can protest and reflect on our glory years when we handled teams like WVU pre and post GS.. oh wait

Last edited:
Reactions: scottsdaleal

We could play this game all day long.

What was Rutger's bowl record when Schiano was the HC?
Who took Rutgers to the most bowl games?
What coach at Rutgers put the most players into the NFL?
Who recruited Rutgers first round draft picks?

ect.

Last edited:
LMAO
You can protest and reflect on our glory years when we handled teams like WVU pre and post GS.. oh wait

Doug Graber produced NFL talent as well, and operated wo academic support from RU. Fans want to win games more than count NFL players among the school alumni. We need a HC who wins games and can run a FB program at the college level imo.

My take on Hobbs vs Greg fwiw.

Hobbs told the Wall Street guys here that he offered Greg in 2015 and would have hired him before hiring Ash. But Greg was distracted by the Miami opportunity and blew off Hobbs, only to call back and show interest later. I believe that story 100%.

This time around in 2019 Hobbs calls Greg and Greg tells him he’s lukewarm on coming back to RU. OK.

If I am Pat Hobbs I’m not hitching my ride to Greg when he’s lukewarm on the opportunity starting next season. The thought of Greg stealing 20M from RU over the next 5 years and underperforming Kyle Flood as a RU HC is something I’m not willing to sign up for.

Let’s aim higher. .500 is not enough for RU FB.

Doug Graber produced NFL talent as well, and operated wo academic support from RU. Fans want to win games more than count NFL players among the school alumni. We need a HC who wins games and can run a FB program at the college level imo.

Hobbs told the Wall Street guys here that he offered Greg in 2015 and would have hired him before hiring Ash. But Greg was distracted by the Miami opportunity and blew off Hobbs, only to call back and show interest later. I believe that story 100%.

This time around in 2019 Hobbs calls Greg and Greg tells him he’s lukewarm on coming back to RU. OK.

If I am Pat Hobbs I’m not hitching my ride to Greg when he’s lukewarm on the opportunity starting next season. The thought of Greg stealing 20M from RU over the next 5 years and underperforming Kyle Flood as a RU HC is something I’m not willing to sign up for.

Actually, I heard a different story on this board: that when Schiano contacted Hobbs, Hobbs asked him if he would promise he would not take the Miami job if Rutgers made him an offer. Schiano refused, and that was that. But who knows? As I've said before, I really don't trust any of these rumors.

No one wants a luke warm anyone.
If he wants the job after every one else of note says no, you take him.
Might be to late though, he’ll also say no... then it’s time to pray

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve91562
idate with other choices
LMAO
How many times did he beat USF, Pitt, Syracuse.
Seems like a lot of people forget about how they felt around some fanbases BS ( Before Schiano) and AG ( After Greg) .
Take the Fruit for an example.
BS :
Syracuse fans looked down on RU fans and ridiculed the RU FB program.
AG:
Cuse fans were mighty quiet as RU fans laughed about Rutgers beating their has been program .
Those that don't want Schiano back can remember the bad parts of his tenure, but they shouldn't ignore the good parts like constant bowl games, winning seasons and the pride in
Rutgers Football they had because of what Greg made out of the program , that made even Schiano not good enough for them

Reactions: Steve91562
No one wants a luke warm anyone.
If he wants the job after every one else of note says no, you take him.
Might be to late though, he’ll also say no... then it’s time to pray

I believe that Greg is Hobbs last viable choice. If Greg has no major offers and RU comes up empty in its search then maybe it happens.

But if I’m Hobbs I won’t hire want a lukewarm Greg Schiano to rebuild RU FB under his watch.

Too many skeletons in Greg’s recent closet to feel that he is a safe choice imo.

I believe that Greg is Hobbs last viable choice. If Greg has no major offers and RU comes up empty in its search then maybe it happens.

But if I’m Hobbs I won’t hire want a lukewarm Greg Schiano to rebuild RU FB under his watch.

Too many skeletons in Greg’s recent closet to feel that he is a safe choice imo.
Not the first time Greg appears to be lukewarm about being Rutgers HC and not the first choice of AD.
But he put everything he had into making Rutgers a respected program back then , even if had doubts about the job before taking it, and would up making RU FB into something some of its fans felt he wasn't a good enough coach to lead the program by the time he left .

And University of Miami defensive coordinator Greg Schiano, set to interview with Mulcahy on Sunday, is said to be lukewarm about the prospect of risking his carefully crafted career on a job as risky as Rutgers' is. Schiano, 34, knows he has time on his side if he decides to wait another year or two.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2008/11/20/the-longest-november

not a GS fan but I believe he'd be able to recruit lights out, far superior to what he had done with no name, no Big Ten, and no emphasis on elitism that Hobbs is demanding now. I'd be ok with Greg here......

those that know me know I just threw up in my mouth

x10

Hobbs wants to go to the Rose Bowl, and the writer wants to overcome the best programs in the conference....realists want to get back to respectable and GS can do that. How anyone can be thinking about bowling after New years or winning the conference is crazy to me.
if Hobbs wants to go to the rose bowl he will have to buy a ticket

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I like Greg but Kelly schooled him.
I recall a pregame “open mike” where he asked Schiano about the QB. I think it was Savage. Greg said he was good and Kelly kicked our butts.

Schiano never won the Big East that even Connecticut was able to win once. How would he ever win the Big Ten?
How many times he was close to winning it only to lose by a game is EXACTLY why we want him back now.

Godfather 2.
Star Trek 2 Star Trek 4

As many as have pointed out including I, lots of successes including Bill Snyder, Johnny Robinson, Bill Walsh, even Mack Brown. Petrino was 34-18 before the off the field nonsense.

Time is now for Schiano!!!!!!
Yeah, horrible APP article.

There's no provision for Big Ten teams not to play MAC teams. What are you talking about?

Godfather II, fitting no? :-)

Reactions: Knight Shift

Schiano

Put the scotch away brother. Schiano never got close to all the things Ash did. Greg had problems with the whole structure of New Brunswick which now has been altered. With the Big Ten and an energized fan base, we will be on the upswing again.

Hobbs wants to go to the Rose Bowl, and the writer wants to overcome the best programs in the conference ... realists want to get back to respectable and GS can do that. How anyone can be thinking about bowling after New years or winning the conference is crazy to me.
"If I don't wish for too much, then I'm less likely to be denied."

Put the scotch away brother. Schiano never got close to all the things Ash did. Greg had problems with the whole structure of New Brunswick which now has been altered. With the Big Ten and an energized fan base, we will be on the upswing again.
Hey Skippy, I didn't write the article. Except Greg did get an interest free loan for himself for his mansion. Maybe he should have asked for new practice fields for the team instead of something for himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT