ADVERTISEMENT

Football Athan Kaliakmanis Named QB1, Gavin Entering Portal

He was the best QB on the field in the spring game, although that doesn't mean all that much. Sorry to see GW go though... he was never a world beater but would've rather seen him fight for playing time.

There was zero about the spring game to elevate the Greek - who had no rush at all on his passes (and the MInn guy in podcast said he's a better player in practice than games). He also didn't have receivers dropping his first three passes.

Greg hates running QBs (wildcat aside) and is glued to his pro set no matter how feeble it is.
Greg hates QB controversies, and knowing he was going to bench the dual threat runner, for the still mediocre pro set guy (he's not Joe Burrow coming from OSU) he and Kirk used flimsy spring game to make the move. Personally I like the Iona kid better than all of them he might be too good for Schiano's ultra vanilla lowfense

I still think GW would make a great wideout. With his size and speed he could be a weapon. Just think how many high school QB's switch positions after they have been at college for a few seasons.

What? I've never seen him do anything that indicates that he has the quickness to be a WR. Perhaps if he bulks up he can play TE, but not WR. Just don't see it.

Ok, Shelby does appreciate those kind words and in return will hereby commit to refraining from Schiano bashing until May 22 at 8:00 a.m.
Shelby will also take this opportunity to remind this crowd, while under no obligation, that he was entirely wrong about AK's visit, wrong in his debate with vjk on that subject in addition to being wrong in the QB1 prediction through today. Shelby has whiffed on pretty much everything related to the 2024 QB situation. And he is happy to be wrong about this.

Shelby slings many arrows but always accepts the return fire with integrity when it's called for.

just think that GW didn't blow anyone away in Spring, and as @Eagleton96 said, confidence and quality for back-ups at this point look as good, as GW is just not a good passer, and AK hopefully has more accuracy, as the running game has grown and evolved where having a running QB is luxury, not necessity.

Last edited:
I got killed on this site for stating that Gavin would either be moved to WR or he would transfer for the last couple of years. Gavin is simply not an FBS level QB, but he has the athletic talent to play at the next level. It was a major disservice to the kid to continue to play him at QB. Now, I understand maybe he doesn't want to hear it and he is moving on to get a chance to play QB at a lower level, but in the end, this was the right move for Rutgers and I hope he makes the right decision to find another position on the field other than QB at his new school.

Reactions: RUScrew85
It would be interesting if he ended up at Temple along with Simon. They need another body in the QB room. For his sake I hope not, the kid deserves better, let me rephrase that, any human being on the planet deserves better.

I wonder, if Kaliakmanus second throw was picked off for 6 and not dropped, would this decision have been any different?

I wonder, if Kaliakmanus second throw was picked off for 6 and not dropped, would this decision have been any different?
I feel it was a combination of how Gavin and Athan looked going into the spring fame and how they looked in the game.
I feel the game was a big part of the decision, but not the only reason Athan got the job.

Reactions: Visengoth
There was zero about the spring game to elevate the Greek - who had no rush at all on his passes (and the MInn guy in podcast said he's a better player in practice than games). He also didn't have receivers dropping his first three passes.

Greg hates running QBs (wildcat aside) and is glued to his pro set no matter how feeble it is.
Greg hates QB controversies, and knowing he was going to bench the dual threat runner, for the still mediocre pro set guy (he's not Joe Burrow coming from OSU) he and Kirk used flimsy spring game to make the move. Personally I like the Iona kid better than all of them he might be too good for Schiano's ultra vanilla lowfense
This team can be very similar to that Minnesota team that was top 10 and beat PSU a few years back with Tanner Morgan.

Overall a good decision.
1. Gavin was given every opportunity over 2 1/2 years to have earned the starting job and it didn't work out. He will probably do better at another program.
2. AK is a seasoned and steady QB, Maybe not the caliber we all want, but likely to do better than what Gavin would have done. AJ and Surace will get some live action this year and it helps them and the team prepare for 2025. We have a sort of pipeline going and this is a more logical progression.
3. I like Aj and think he would be gone if GW stayed.
4. Takes the issue off the table for the summer and allows the team and QB's to focus on getting ready for opening day.
5. Reinforces for everyone that they must perform or GS will do what's best for the team.
Get ready for 8-10 wins this year.

There were definitely a couple of dropbacks where he would have been sacked, but because the defender could only wave his arms (and not even touch him) he was allowed to throw the pass.

Not after Gavin showed once again that he can't hit an open running back in the flat from 10 yards away.

Bottom line, he was dead last in all of FBS for completion percentage. Time to move on....I wish him well.

Last edited:
I'm sure the answer is "no." I'm certain that the coaching staff is too smart to base a decision like this on the result of a single pass.

They are basing this off of AK's previous body of work with the OC and what they see every day.

Schiano is extremely stubborn as everyone knows. For Wimsatt to be relegated this early means he was getting completely outplayed in practice.

The spring game was irrelevant.

Curious to see what D1 schools are going to be interested in bringing in GW as a QB1...Be surprised if theres much interest...Great Athlete/size and needs to find another position JMO

Reactions: RUScrew85
They are basing this off of AK's previous body of work with the OC and what they see every day.

Schiano is extremely stubborn as everyone knows. For Wimsatt to be relegated this early means he was getting completely outplayed in practice.

On the contrary, the staff named the starter now because they didn’t want to screw either kid by waiting until the first game and effectively close all opportunities for the other guy to be a starter somewhere else.

Reactions: RU-05

Agree.

Fans only know what they see and many don’t understand that the coaches get 1000x the exposure to their players.

The spring game is a snapshot. An exhibit. Means very little

The coaches have seen countless more hours of evaluation

If any this tells me anything its the Schiano is doing right by Gavin. Giving him the chance to move on.

Also hasn’t Greg been criticized endlessly for being too stubborn. Thus we have to assume that this decision was not hasty.

I was far from a winsatt hater. He clearly had ability . But he DID get more than enough time to separate from the pack. If he hasn’t done it by now it’s probably best to move on - put the Greek in there and potentially open opportunities in the future for the young guys

Again while I was not one to slam winsatt, overall I think this is best for the program and winsatt

Last edited:
On the contrary, the staff named the starter now because they didn’t want to screw either kid by waiting until the first game and effectively close all opportunities for the other guy to be a starter somewhere else.

He named the starter because AK is clearly better. If that helped Wimsatt to do it now, than all the better.

He wasn't going to name AK the starter if there was a question that Wimsatt might better. That would be f'ing the entire team. Schiano isn't going to roll like that.

Reactions: RUforlife
Curious to see what D1 schools are going to be interested in bringing in GW as a QB1...Be surprised if theres much interest...Great Athlete/size and needs to find another position IMO

If he really wants to play QB he's going to a MAC or AAC level, or Acc that isn't Clemson Miami or FSU.

B1G or SEC would be a mistake. He's never going to play at this level.

Would this also be a move to keep Sheppard from entering the portal facing a season at #3 and losing GW later when he doesn't start? It could also simply a move to let GW find a place to start his last 2 years.

I'm sure Greg timed this deliberately so that Wimsatt could transfer. Say what you will about Greg, he is a gentleman.
Hm...

There are, in this thread, lots of assumptions and speculation about the details surrounding the two related events (AK being publicly named starter and GW planning to enter the portal). As usual, we have some facts, but we lack many other facts we'd need to be absolutely certain of those details.

I too think GS is a good person. But I also realize it's not beyond the realm of possibility that GS was pressured into naming the starter earlier than he wished, perhaps far earlier. @mdk01's post illustrates one form such pressure could've taken. One can imagine others.

For all we know, GS's preference was to delay naming a starter until late summer so as to foster as much healthy competition as possible. That approach also has the benefit of providing the most perspective to the coaching staff. I think that's probably more aligned with how GS prefers to operate, given the choice.

I'm curious to see what additional FB news comes out in the next couple/few weeks.

This is spot on.

Have to wonder if Greg saw what happened with the basketball team when GG was given more PT than he deserved? Perhaps that motivated him not to string things out if Gavin wasn’t even standing out as a clear second (just a guess). Obviously these are only practice minutes, but still.

Also frees us up to take possibly pick up an extra player in the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
GS knew GW wasn't going to start in next 2 years...GS loves GW and named his QB1 so GW could have his chance as starter elsewhere

Hm...

There are, in this thread, lots of assumptions and speculation about the details surrounding the two related events (AK being publicly named starter and GW planning to enter the portal). As usual, we have some facts, but we lack many other facts we'd need to be absolutely certain of those details.

I too think GS is a good person. But I also realize it's not beyond the realm of possibility that GS was pressured into naming the starter earlier than he wished, perhaps far earlier. @mdk01's post illustrates one form such pressure could've taken. One can imagine others.

For all we know, GS's preference was to delay naming a starter until late summer so as to foster as much healthy competition as possible. That approach also has the benefit of providing the most perspective to the coaching staff. I think that's probably more aligned with how GS prefers to operate, given the choice.

I'm curious to see what additional FB news comes out in the next couple/few weeks.
I suggest you look up the term "Occam's razor." Often the simplest explanation is the best. Perhaps @mdk01 's explanation is right, but it needs much more evidence to support it than it presently has.

Reactions: MulletCork
GS knew GW wasn't going to start in next 2 years...GS loves GW and named his QB1 so GW could have his chance as starter elsewhere
He is not starting on any of the 130+ FBS teams as a QB. If he still wants to play and start he most likely will have to move down to a lower-level FCS program. I seriously doubt he could win the starting job at a top 20 FCS program. Great kid, needs to change position,

He named the starter because AK is clearly better. If that helped Wimsatt to do it now, than all the better.

He wasn't going to name AK the starter if there was a question that Wimsatt might better. That would be f'ing the entire team. Schiano isn't going to roll like that.
I think as soon as they brought in AK the tie was going his way.

Timing here clearly looks to be giving GW the chance to transfer.

It was a "wow" moment when I first saw this news. But as this whole situation is sinking in, I'm liking it more and more. I really wanted Gavin to succeed here. We all did. But if there is a cap on what he's capable of, I'd rather have AK give it a go while getting Shepherd and Surace more meaningful reps so one of them can be in a legit position to take over next year.

He was a good ambassador for the program. Wish him well.

Reactions: BossNJ
Would this also be a move to keep Sheppard from entering the portal facing a season at #3 and losing GW later when he doesn't start? It could also simply a move to let GW find a place to start his last 2 years.
Hopefully the confidence in Sheppard as a back up is part of the equation.

Being gracious to Gavin can be seen as a solid move by the coaching staff, but you don't want to leave yourself thin at the position either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT