ADVERTISEMENT

Football Athan Kaliakmanis Named QB1, Gavin Entering Portal

GW is a good athlete but not a good QB. Wildly inaccurate with a lack of touch. He will help a team in the AAC or so but wasn’t going to do it at Rutgers

Do we need a QB runner with the RBs we have?
For anyone interested. Samples of Athan Running in HS:

0:34, 1:59, 2:10, 4:45.

Ran for 235 yards in, I think, a 6 game Covid shortened season. I think that's what they said on the TKR Pod.

Last edited:
Reactions: IMARUFAN
Do we need a QB runner with the RBs we have?
Of course check out Nebraska Qb because that kid has some speed and can get out of the pocket if breaks down quickly , running backs are are designed for running the football but quarterbacks have to be able to run if necessary. That kid that was Maryland QB last year whipped Rutgers with his running game so yeah we need one that can run because every team in the big has one and Rutgers had 200 pounds in wimsatt

I disagree because this kid had one season with the new playbook and managed to help win a bowl game, the other kid left Minnesota because he lost his job so what makes him better cause I didn’t see much in the spring game other than a couple of good throws and one touchdown to his brother.
Fake news!!! He did not LOSE the job. He was told there would be a competition. So, the job was not lost until he was told he lost the competition. He took what he considered a better opportunity with the OC that recruited him.

"A source told the Pioneer Press on Monday that Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck met with the quarterbacks since the regular-season finale loss to Wisconsin and would not commit to a starting quarterback for the 2024 season and shared the program would look for competition via the transfer portal."

"If the Gophers don't land Brosmer or another quarterback in the transfer portal, the 2024 QB battle will feature senior Cole Kramer, current walk-on freshman Max Shikenjanksi and incoming recruit Drake Lindsey, who has lit up Arkansas with 51 touchdowns and only two interceptions en route to the state title game this Saturday."

Reactions: RUTGERS95
[/QUOTE]
There was zero about the spring game to elevate the Greek - who had no rush at all on his passes (and the MInn guy in podcast said he's a better player in practice than games). He also didn't have receivers dropping his first three passes.

Greg hates running QBs (wildcat aside) and is glued to his pro set no matter how feeble it is.
Greg hates QB controversies, and knowing he was going to bench the dual threat runner, for the still mediocre pro set guy (he's not Joe Burrow coming from OSU) he and Kirk used flimsy spring game to make the move. Personally I like the Iona kid better than all of them he might be too good for Schiano's ultra vanilla lowfense

You are the anti Shelby

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Huh??? Athan is his replacement.. duh.
Let me translate this conspiracy theory. The idea is that GS was so wedded to Wimsatt that they intentionally declined to bring in great QBs, and specifically recruited a QB that wasn't clearly better than Wimsatt so he wouldn't leave. It's like the opposite of Occam's Razor. If there is an obvious answer, it can't be right. It has to be more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Nice to see that Gavin stands up as a Rutgers man. And why did I cheer for this person over the last two years while he sucked?

Credit to coach for the timing on this. I’m guessing there are a ton of coaches out there that would drag this to the summer to hook wimsatt as backup.

He was paid, wasn't he? Will we be getting back 2024 NIL money?

I still think GW would make a great wideout. With his size and speed he could be a weapon. Just think how many high school QB's switch positions after they have been at college for a few seasons.

I was thinking the same thing about moving him to WR. I guess his commitment to the team takes a back seat to his "dreams".

Will be interesting to see if Gavin ends up at Minnesota, or a better program than our’s and is well-compensated as a backup.
Landing at Akron and/or Virginia Tech would make for an interesting start to our season.
The new QB’s bio says his Dad wrestled at Seton Hall. I did not know the Pirates had a wrestling program at one time.

He's going where he can be the starter. He'll be at some directional college next year.

Well guess everyone got what they wanted. Really disappointing.

After watching the spring game - don't see why everyone was so high on this Athan kid and have wanted to run Gavin out of town for the three years he's been here.

We didn't run him out of town he took his NIL and went home.

It seemed like the 2nd play was the same exact play call and route as the 1st play.

Not excusing it because he probably should have thrown somewhere else then.
But seemed it was tailor made to be jumped by the CB.
It was.

Reactions: NickRU714
I'll trust the judgment of the staff that saw everything all of the QBs did on and off the field all spring over any fan who only saw the spring game. I would not have minded if Wimsatt was willing to stay on as a backup, but if he wants to transfer, so be it. I trust AK to start and the others to learn and be ready to step in if needed.

Will we target another transfer QB now to get the room back to four?

Reactions: satnom
Name the FBS program that is replacing their starting QB with a kid who couldn't hit the side of barn from 10 feet away. I gave you the only one where he would have any chance to compete for a starting job, and that is Temple. Could he beat Simon out again, that would be hilarious. In all honesty, I don't even think Drayton is that stupid, but you can never discount the potential stupidity of a Temple HC.
If he insists on being a QB he's going to SW Northern Missouri State.

This kid lost his Qb position in Minnesota and he gets the keys over Wimsatt , I mean the offense coordinator only had a year to implement the play book with Wimsatt and he helped reach a bowl game . I didn’t see anything from this kid to justify the move so early just because he is familiar with Kirk system , so now if the kid gets hurt then who you have that can spread defenses with running abilities. Better find another quarterback with game experience to come in if that happens or the season is going to be another well maybe they will make it to a bowl game .
That was never GW.

Of course check out Nebraska Qb because that kid has some speed and can get out of the pocket if breaks down quickly , running backs are are designed for running the football but quarterbacks have to be able to run if necessary. That kid that was Maryland QB last year whipped Rutgers with his running game so yeah we need one that can run because every team in the big has one and Rutgers had 200 pounds in wimsatt
That still wasn't GW.

The followup question then: are we sure OC KC won't call the same exact play twice in a row to starta game??? Hopefully this was just a Spring Game hiccup. I would guess it wasn't OC KC calling that play?

This decision is an absolute no brainer agree with it 1000% ,had to be done, thank god it was done ,and now I'm looking much much more opportunistic towards the season. We have a top post running game that will now improve with a possibility of a long passing game. We had the lowest performance passer in ALL of FBS, all we could do was up!!! Period.

Last edited:
The followup question then: are we sure OC KC won't call the same exact play twice in a row to starta game??? Hopefully this was just a Spring Game hiccup. I would guess it wasn't OC KC calling that play?
If done right, no can defense.

• Haha
Reactions: bmondo
The lack of touch was my biggest issue. You need to be able to complete passes, or at least be on target with a deep ball, to stop teams from stacking the box all game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT