ADVERTISEMENT

Football Athan Kaliakmanis Named QB1, Gavin Entering Portal

Exactly why you see a much different Schiano for several months. Yes he still can be aloof but for sometime now you can pick up a different positive feeling in how he speaks about this team. AK will be given every chance now to bring us to a higher level of play.

Lot of unnecessary bitterness towards GW here. Rutgers has played transfers. It's part of the process. GW wants to start. That's wrong?
I don’t see much “bitterness”.

Honestly - for all we know, Gavin and Schiano agreed together that he should explore options where he has a clear path to being a starter. If he doesn’t find something that fits this script maybe the plan is for him to return to RU. That’s still allowed, right? I actually don’t see much chance of him leaving to be the back up for another major conference team unless the starter graduates this year and he sees a clearer path for the following year.

Honestly - for all we know, Gavin and Schiano agreed together that he should explore options where he has a clear path to being a starter. If he doesn’t find something that fits this script maybe the plan is for him to return to RU. That’s still allowed, right? I actually don’t see much chance of him leaving to be the back up for another major conference team unless the starter graduates this year and he sees a clearer path for the following year.

Read Page 6

High school lol
Trolls Troll when they Troll
You are a fake phony fraud
Everyone is harping about we got a QB who can run not pass, now we have a passer over runner.
So what do we get, a troll. Trolling.

Since Occam’s Razor keeps being applied. Gavin wanted to be named the starter after the spring game and was clearly nervous KC brought in AK. Schiano told him there would be a competition for the starter through summer. Gavin then said he was transferring if he was not named the starter and forced Schiano to name AK the starter because Gavin was transferring.

Reactions: satnom and RUBOB72
Since Occam’s Razor keeps being applied. Gavin wanted to be named the starter after the spring game and was clearly nervous KC brought in AK. Schiano told him there would be a competition for the starter through summer. Gavin then said he was transferring if he was not named the starter and forced Schiano to name AK the starter because Gavin was transferring.

That’s not what happened as two multiple distinct podcasts including media beat guys who attended spring practices reported the exact same thing - both in a non-speculative way. The race wasn’t close and before presenting a possible slant that indicates otherwise everyone should listen to both the TKR and the Rant podcasts. There’s no way it went down as you describe.

That’s not what happened as two multiple distinct podcasts including media beat guys who attended spring practices reported the exact same thing - both in a non-speculative way. The race wasn’t close and before presenting a possible slant that indicates otherwise everyone should listen to both the TKR and the Rant podcasts. There’s no way it went down as you describe.
Occam’s Razor: what the professional reporters reported is likely true
Conspiracy theorists and trolls: There is some alternate more dramatic explanation

Lmao how is your scenario representative of occam's razor? AK was better than GW so GW decided to transfer. Which is simpler? Yours or that?

Reactions: Eagleton96
Conspiracy theorists and trolls: There is some alternate more dramatic explanation

The TKR podcast made another interesting point. The guys said something like - let’s be honest, the QB battle last season wasn’t legit in the same way way this one was based on what they saw at practice. That from what they had observed, Gavin didn’t clearly outperform Evan rather our staff had probably made a decision to give Gavin every opportunity to succeed if it was even close. I think most of us knew this was probably the case, and it was likely about the reputation of our culture as much as anything else (this was a kid who we convinced to give up his senior year of HS and Greg wanted to do right by the family). I don’t know that Evan was necessarily “ahead” but the point they were making was from watching - it wasn’t an obvious difference the way it was with AK this year.

Just when I thought of possibly tipping my hat to Shelby on this one point, Richie followed up by pointing out that at no other point in his career has Schiano given latitude like he did for GW. He always made decisions in 1.0 based on the best recent player. Then I laughed thinking of Shelby trying to argue about how Greg is just stubborn and would stick to the QB he recruited no matter what like usual - because, Richie is right. Greg has actually never stuck with anyone else before this long. Never.

The TKR podcast made another interesting point. The guys said something like - let’s be honest, the QB battle last season wasn’t legit in the same way way this one was based on what they saw at practice. That from what they had observed, Gavin didn’t clearly outperform Evan rather our staff had probably made a decision to give Gavin every opportunity to succeed if it was even close. I think most of us knew this was probably the case, and it was likely about the reputation of our culture as much as anything else (this was a kid who we convinced to give up his senior year of HS and Greg wanted to do right by the family). I don’t know that Evan was necessarily “ahead” but the point they were making was from watching - it wasn’t an obvious difference the way it was with AK this year.

Just when I thought of possibly tipping my hat to Shelby on this one point, Richie followed up by pointing out that at no other point in his career has Schiano given latitude like he did for GW. He always made decisions in 1.0 based on the best recent player. Then I laughed thinking of Shelby trying to argue about how Greg is just stubborn and would stick to the QB he recruited no matter what like usual - because, Richie is right. Greg has actually never stuck with anyone else before this long. Never.
Good point. Although I distinctly remember the TKR and Rant podcasts both saying that they didn't think Evan was remotely close to a P5 QB in terms of current performance or ceiling. Both pods said it very directly multiple times. So yeah, politics and managing public perception might have been a tie breaker between two equally bad QBs, and that makes sense. But just as likely Gavin had the edge both as a runner and with arm strength in terms of performance at that moment, and in terms of ceiling.

Professional reporters given the information from GS who never get anything wrong. Give them time to do their job.

So it’s unlikely that an arrogant, bully, want to be tough guy who has hung RU out to dry before developed a soft side? A complete disaster of an offensive coach decided to let a QB leave and hurt his QB room instead of have them compete? Sure a guy who never does the right thing woke up this summer and all of a sudden decided to be Mr nice guy??? lol sure that seems likely.

OR a QB in Gavin who was completely and absolutely mishandled and was getting killed on the field with No Oline or WR. The young man was looking for a guarantee after giving everything he had to the program and was not given one so decided to transfer (writing in the wall) and look for an offensive minded coach to help him develop his game?

That both parties decided I will help you by transferring and you will help the program by keeping are mishandling under wraps.

I wonder if we had another highly rated QB leave under good terms only to find out other things might have happened months/years later.

Professional reporters given the information from GS who never get anything wrong. Give them time to do their job.

So it’s unlikely that an arrogant, bully, want to be tough guy who has hung RU out to dry before developed a soft side? A complete disaster of an offensive coach decided to let a QB leave and hurt his QB room instead of have them compete? Sure a guy who never does the right thing woke up this summer and all of a sudden decided to be Mr nice guy??? lol sure that seems likely.

OR a QB in Gavin who was completely and absolutely mishandled and was getting killed on the field with No Oline or WR. The young man was looking for a guarantee after giving everything he had to the program and was not given one so decided to transfer (writing in the wall) and look for an offensive minded coach to help him develop his game?

That both parties decided I will help you by transferring and you will help the program by keeping are mishandling under wraps.

I wonder if we had another highly rated QB leave under good terms only to find out other things might have happened months/years later.
Most of this is incomprehensibly written so I don't know how to respond. And the bits that were comprehensible are completely divorced from the facts on the ground. For example, saying GW was getting killed because we had no OL...just a complete fabrication.

If you are representative, Syracuse needs to beef up it's writing requirements.

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
I'm happy to have made Occam's Razor a thing on this board. May I suggest that it can be applied to many topics of discussion? A fair number of posters are in the habit of coming up with complicated explanations unsupported by facts to fit their preferences rather than to look to the simplest explanation supported by the known facts.

Most of this is incomprehensibly written so I don't know how to respond. And the bits that were comprehensible are completely divorced from the facts on the ground. For example, saying GW was getting killed because we had no OL...just a complete fabrication.

If you are representative, Syracuse needs to beef up its writing requirements.
It’s been a while since I took expos but I will try and write more articulate on a sports blog moving forward.
To appease you, an OL who could pass block.
I guess will ignore the rest .

Good point. Although I distinctly remember the TKR and Rant podcasts both saying that they didn't think Evan was remotely close to a P5 QB in terms of current performance or ceiling. Both pods said it very directly multiple times. So yeah, politics and managing public perception might have been a tie breaker between two equally bad QBs, and that makes sense. But just as likely Gavin had the edge both as a runner and with arm strength in terms of performance at that moment, and in terms of ceiling.

Yes - they did. But it was more in the context of the message that neither GW nor Evan (unfortunately) looked like P5 talent last spring but the feeling was Gavin had more potential and a higher ceiling.

The point they are making now, doesn’t contradict the messaging from earlier. What they are saying is on reflection, if we’re being honest, fans need to understand that this situation is different. It wasn’t that Gavin’s spring stats they had observed had been better Evan’s. This time, on alternating days of turns playing with the first team, AK performed indesputably better.

Yes - they did. But it was more in the context of the message that neither GW nor Evan (unfortunately) looked like P5 talent last spring but the feeling was Gavin had more potential and a higher ceiling.

The point they are making now, doesn’t contradict the messaging from earlier. What they are saying is on reflection, if we’re being honest, fans need to understand that this situation is different. It wasn’t that Gavin’s spring stats they had observed had been better Evan’s. This time, on alternating days of turns playing with the first team, AK performed indesputably better.
Agree, and also, the conversation a year ago still left room to hope for improvement by GW. Now, a year later, with a full season of experience and data, and with GW still throwing behind RBs in the backfield in the spring game, expectations are more set.

It’s been a while since I took expos but I will try and write more articulate on a sports blog moving forward.
To appease you, an OL who could pass block.
I guess will ignore the rest .
Yes, you should try harder to be more articulate on this "blog". If you are taking the time to write something, don't you want people to actually understand it?

Shelby didn't address the past. Shelby repeatedly noted the 2023 GW 'competition' had been a farce: no QB recruit the year after GW, naming GW the starter three seconds into camp last year, yanking Simon after UW TD drive, singing GW's praises while ignoring the 'lowest rated' stats. He expected this 2024 competition to be similarly phony.

Podcast fail. a) Chad Schwenk was better than Ryan Cubit but his dad wasn't on the staff b) 1.0 is irrelevant to 2.0. You may remember Don Shula's philosophy changed dramatically in the decade after the undefeated season and Super Bowl wins.

Shelby was damn near giddy yesterday when he heard the news that 2.0 finally had enough of GW.

I'll consider your hat tipped. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RUDivision

A variation of this that might have some truth - possibly Gavin himself realized he was falling behind and was the one who approached Greg? It’s possible that he proactively asked about how realistic his chances were and Greg was honest about where he stood. Greg wouldn’t lie. Not his MO

Reactions: RU76
Any poster using Occam’s Razor has to be a total nut job.

Shelby didn't address the past. Shelby repeatedly noted the 2023 GW 'competition' had been a farce: no QB recruit the year after GW, naming GW the starter three seconds into camp last year, yanking Simon after UW TD drive, singing GW's praises while ignoring the 'lowest rated' stats. He expected this 2024 competition to be similarly phony.

Podcast fail. a) Chad Schwenk was better than Ryan Cubit but his dad wasn't on the staff b) 1.0 is irrelevant to 2.0. You may remember Don Shula's philosophy changed dramatically in the decade after the undefeated season and Super Bowl wins.

Shelby was damn near giddy yesterday when he heard the news that 2.0 finally had enough of GW.

I'll consider your hat tipped. Thank you.

Are you kidding? You referenced Schiano being stubborn (in general) and would never admit he was wrong. You said it’s not in his DNA or something like that. The point raised about Schiano’s style of going with the recency bias - better recent performer is true and completely shoots down many of your posts.

A variation of this that might have some truth - possibly Gavin himself realized he was falling behind and was the one who approached Greg? It’s possible that he proactively asked about how realistic his chances were and Greg was honest about where he stood. Greg wouldn’t lie. Not his MO
It was reported in all the podcasts that this came out in the regularly scheduled post-spring meetings the coaches have with each player. And they seemed to imply that GS volunteered the info.

It was reported in all the podcasts that this came out in the regularly scheduled post-spring meetings the coaches have with each player. And they seemed to imply that GS volunteered the info.
The point is it doesn’t really matter. Regardless, what prompted this was that it was obvious that AK was far in the lead.

Reactions: Eagleton96
There was zero about the spring game to elevate the Greek - who had no rush at all on his passes (and the MInn guy in podcast said he's a better player in practice than games). He also didn't have receivers dropping his first three passes.

Greg hates running QBs (wildcat aside) and is glued to his pro set no matter how feeble it is.
Greg hates QB controversies, and knowing he was going to bench the dual threat runner, for the still mediocre pro set guy (he's not Joe Burrow coming from OSU) he and Kirk used flimsy spring game to make the move. Personally I like the Iona kid better than all of them he might be too good for Schiano's ultra vanilla lowfense
What? GW has every chance for 3 years to lock up the starting spot. He couldnt do it.

I think you need to rewatch the first passes from GW. The bad throw on the swing pass has been an issues for years with GW.

Only thing I don’t like about AK is he’s locked in on receiver A and just going through the motions. Multiple passes in the video posted here where he would have been picked off. Honestly don’t know how much of an improvement this will be. Losing the dual threat also going to make it easier for defenses to sit back and defend. Don’t like the lack of continuity. Had some confidence going into the year with the new opponents on schedule but starting to think going to be another year of the same old GS football team. Outmatched and outgunned

I too wonder about the NIL considerations on the timing of this decision. While GS is getting kudos for doing right by GW, could it be that him leaving frees up funds to be reinvested in others? Wasn’t he supposedly getting the largest NIL deal on the team?

The lack of transparency on these deals just spurs speculation like I am doing here. You wonder if GW could have chosen to stay and bank more NIL since he is unlikely to get a similar deal elsewhere.

The followup question then: are we sure OC KC won't call the same exact play twice in a row to starta game??? Hopefully this was just a Spring Game hiccup. I would guess it wasn't OC KC calling that play?
I have no clue.

They also reported that Gavin Griffiths would never transfer and that Pike was going to play uptempo last year. I might have missed expos but RU did teach me to think for myself .

Rutgers led the Big 10 in sacks allowed with 14 Last year.
We were a running team with a running quarterback. Are own coach was quoted saying we can’t throw the ball deep because we can not block for it. I appreciate the stats though.

They also reported that Gavin Griffiths would never transfer and that Pike was going to play uptempo last year. I might have missed expos but RU did teach me to think for myself .
It was reported that Griffiths said he'd never leave, not that he'd never leave. And what was reported was factual. And Pike's offense went from bottom of the pack in tempo two years ago to middle of the pack in tempo this past year. That's a huge jump in one year.

I don't think there is any reason to doubt that the veracity of the very specific detail that was widely reported, that the "talk" happened during the regularly scheduled end of spring player meetings, is true.

We were a running team with a running quarterback. Are own coach was quoted saying we can’t throw the ball deep because we can not block for it. I appreciate the stats though.
We did throw deep. We just never converted them. Your assertion that our horrible OL is why GW sucked doesn't hold water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT