ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Facilities

ag67

All American
Jul 25, 2001
I just read the "On the Banks" article about Rutgers athletic facilities for "minor sports". The photos from other B1G school makes it abundantly clear why RU is at a huge disadvantage in competing with the other B1G schools. It made me realize how difficult a job our AD has. I assume she is not going to be competing with the same advantages she had at Louisville. I don't know what her chief skill was at Louisville. Was she talented at picking out the right coaches, or was she talented at attracting the money to develop the programs and fulfill the needs of the coaches, or both? I have been very impressed with her so far, but she faces a daunting task.

Her task would be made alot easier if the project she has in mind to upgrade the facilites can ever get done it appears to be a huge project someone said around 80 million!!

In before the lock....lol

1. The present AD comes from a program where the "other" sports matter.
2. We are now in a conference where the other sports REALLY matter.
3. There is a plan.
4. Rutgers on a whole is on board with the plan. More so than I think a lot of people know.
5. $$$ is on the way, maybe not as soon as we'd like but it is coming. And not just talking B1G $$$.

Point #2 is really important. We could get away with simply fielding teams in our past leagues.

In the B1G, they treat every sport like football. These schools love winning B1G chamionships. Every single one matters.

Originally posted by richthedentist:
Her task would be made alot easier if the project she has in mind to upgrade the facilites can ever get done it appears to be a huge project someone said around 80 million!!
Pretty sure that $$$ is high.

This post was edited on 11/7 1:37 PM by AreYouNUTS

Originally posted by ag67:
I just read the "On the Banks" article about Rutgers athletic facilities for "minor sports". The photos from other B1G school makes it abundantly clear why RU is at a huge disadvantage in competing with the other B1G schools. It made me realize how difficult a job our AD has. I assume she is not going to be competing with the same advantages she had at Louisville. I don't know what her chief skill was at Louisville. Was she talented at picking out the right coaches, or was she talented at attracting the money to develop the programs and fulfill the needs of the coaches, or both? I have been very impressed with her so far, but she faces a daunting task.
Not that I will EVER read anything from "OTB,' again, after some of the disgusting bullshit, lies, and attacks, from that site the past year or so, but:

- she dealt with EVERY sport at Louisville, however, was mainly in charge of ALL Olympic ones and, IIRC, was instrumental in the hiring/firing of HC for those sports

- she was pertinent in the fundraising aspects of many new facilities, built at 'Ville, in her time there

Yes, she has a very, very difficult task ahead of her, however, it's one she relishes and is doing everything she can to accomplish as soon as possible.

Originally posted by AreYouNUTS:

Originally posted by ag67:
Not that I will EVER read anything from "OTB,' again, after some of the disgusting bullshit, lies, and attacks, from that site the past year or so, but:

- she dealt with EVERY sport at Louisville, however, was mainly in charge of ALL Olympic ones and, IIRC, was instrumental in the hiring/firing of HC for those sports

- she was pertinent in the fundraising aspects of many new facilities, built at 'Ville, in her time there

Yes, she has a very, very difficult task ahead of her, however, it's one she relishes and is doing everything she can to accomplish as soon as possible.
I am fine with the journey as they say on BTN. I don't expect it to happen over night, none of us should, but I am very confident it will happen here.

Was at OSU a couple of weeks ago and a friend of mine coaches lacrosse there, got a little tour of the facilities, we are way behind. Now before you kill me by saying that it's OSU and most school's are behind them I understand that but, we need to get into the ball park. The plan that is in place will help but it will take more including IMO a new basketball facility.

Regarding #3

What is the plan?? What are the facilities? Where are the architectural renderings?

I like the concourse/bathroom upgrades at the stadium. I like the scoreboard/lights at the RAC. I t seems like there might be an attempt going on currently at cleaning things up near the baseball field, but what is the grand plan??

#4 Who is on board? Where is the funding? Nebraska had a beautiful new 15,000 seat arena next to campus. The University only owns the locker rooms and team store. There was the name of a bank on the outside. We are in the densest concentration of Fortune 500 companies within an hour of our campus. Where are they??

Originally posted by SF88:
Regarding #3

What is the plan?? What are the facilities? Where are the architectural renderings?

I like the concourse/bathroom upgrades at the stadium. I like the scoreboard/lights at the RAC. I t seems like there might be an attempt going on currently at cleaning things up near the baseball field, but what is the grand plan??

#4 Who is on board? Where is the funding? Nebraska had a beautiful new 15,000 seat arena next to campus. The University only owns the locker rooms and team store. There was the name of a bank on the outside. We are in the densest concentration of Fortune 500 companies within an hour of our campus. Where are they??
Sit tight Steve.

Regarding #3

I like the concourse/bathroom upgrades at the stadium. I like the scoreboard/lights at the RAC. It seems like there might be an attempt going on currently at cleaning things up near the baseball field, but what is the grand plan??

Sit tight Steve.
I think we offer him naming rights for a locker room/concession stand at Bainton for a good price...

ScarletFever smoothies.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Regarding #3

I like the concourse/bathroom upgrades at the stadium. I like the scoreboard/lights at the RAC. It seems like there might be an attempt going on currently at cleaning things up near the baseball field, but what is the grand plan??

Sit tight Steve.
I think we offer him naming rights for a locker room/concession stand at Bainton for a good price...

ScarletFever smoothies.
Absolutely!

BTW - "Moose Hill" is still a possibility. Will be brought up at Monday's meeting.

We have to stop playing the be patient game & start operating with urgency. Enough with the second rate high school facilities in many aspects. TAKE OUT A LOAN ASAP & GET TO WORK. We can no longer wait to raise the $ through private donations.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Leonard23:
We have to stop playing the be patient game & start operating with urgency. Enough with the second rate high school facilities in many aspects. TAKE OUT A LOAN ASAP & GET TO WORK. We can no longer wait to raise the $ through private donations.
Not gonna happen no matter how many times you say "take out a loan." Sorry bud. Julie, Sarah, and Co., are doing very, very well right now - behind the scenes - and it'll stay like that until the proper time to move forward with each project - you just gotta trust people telling you as much. Those "Fortune 500" companies that SF88 brings up, above, have been, and will continue to be hit, harder than ever before, and it's going to pay off.

That's great that fundraising is going well, but we're falling further behind by continuing to wait for donations to FINALLY come in. Take out the loan already so we aren't handcuffed in everything we do.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Regarding #3

Sit tight Steve.

ScarletFever smoothies.
Absolutely!

BTW - "Moose Hill" is still a possibility. Will be brought up at Monday's meeting.
Well then we better make sure we sell Moose Tracks flavored ice cream at the ScarletFever concession stand, right?

This post was edited on 11/7 6:22 PM by e5fdny

Big Ten facilities are a bear to keep up with. The schools have had a big financial advantage for such a long time. Their alumni giving is inviable.

Look at how Michigan's field hockey team gets showered with cash:
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/w-fieldh/spec-rel/110514aae.html

They added a HD video replay screen, FH-only offices, sports medicine space, nice locker rooms, and players lounges after a $13MM renovation. For field hockey. It's crazy.

I'm a Maryland fan. We have some ground to make up, too. The University is about to announce a new indoor practice facility, which is great, but most of our sports facilities need upgrades to get to U-Mich's level. It's always amazed me that we have some of the best Olympic sports in the country without offering facilities commensurate to the stature of the programs.
This post was edited on 11/9 5:26 PM by bingethinker

I am torn about when the right time to disclose is. I am one that thinks that by sharing a plan you might get things rolling at a faster pace, however I also realize that if you don't get the big fish, the plan will never materialize.

I guess we wait!!

Forget B1G comparisons or even non-BCS DI's - several of our facilities pale in comparison to many DIII and DII facilties - in particular baseball, softball and tennis.

Some of the private high schools here in SoCal have better facilities than some of our sports.

Not gonna happen no matter how many times you say "take out a loan." Sorry bud. Julie, Sarah, and Co., are doing very, very well right now - behind the scenes - and it'll stay like that until the proper time to move forward with each project - you just gotta trust people telling you as much. Those "Fortune 500" companies that SF88 brings up, above, have been, and will continue to be hit, harder than ever before, and it's going to pay off.
I know it isn't happening but that won't stop me from saying it should LOL. I posted this elsewhere & will add it here as further support to take out the loan now (from Maryland article on Cole remodel):

"The project, which is awaiting Board of Regents approval, is to be funded in part with $25 million in state funds and $25 million from the university - to be repaid from Big Ten revenues. This is the school's first year in the conference. The rest would be privately funded."

Maryland is smart enough to borow $25M from the University & get $25M in state funds, to be repaid from future B1G revenues, because they want to compete now, yet Rutgers isn't for a basketball practice facility & Olympic complex. Also from that article, "Plank said the school needed to give the coaches a fighting chance."

We also need to renovate The Barn gym seating to be a good primary wrestling match facility with normal lower level seating all the way around, like GW's Smith Center, which seats about 4,000:

5545800.jpeg
;

You could also use this for some WBB & an occasional MBB game, especially scrimmages, in addition to it being used for Volleyball. Most of the B1G matches would still be at the RAC. How much would it cost to do this? Any nest guesses?

This post was edited on 11/18 5:30 PM by Leonard23

We also need to renovate The Barn gym seating to be a good primary wrestling match facility with normal lower level seating all the way around, like GW's Smith Center, which seats about 4,000:

ec
;

You could also use this for some WBB & an occasional MBB game, especially scrimmages, in addition to it being used for Volleyball. Most of the B1G matches would still be at the RAC. How much would it cost to do this? Any nest guesses?

Do they still use the pool in the Barn? If not maybe we could fill it in and try your idea.

re: The Barn...it MIGHT be a historical landmark at this point. Not positive but I could swear that no major structural work can be done to the building. Now, whether or not that includes interior renovations, such as removing the pool and making it a "wrestling" facility, I'm not sure, but will ask around!

Thanks Nuts!

As for the pool, I'm guessing it isn't worth moving & still gets used, so the floor would need to be recentered & that side with the scoreboard would have fewer floor seats, but you could add more floor seats to the other 3 sides by expanding into the main entrance welcome area of the Barn, which is opposite the scoreboard wall & has a good amount of room, & into the sides of the building:

gym-ca2.jpg

I do believe, btw, if Julie had the money today, what we'd see is the following (for indoor facilities):

1) new arena for hoops

2) RAC turned into a full-blown wrestling facility

3) The BARN turned into a top-notch volleyball facility

4) a renovation to add more seating (currently limited to 1k and I think they sold out 3 or 4 matches last year ahead of meet day...) and amenities to the Livingston Rec Center for Gymnastics

Would be awesome to take a page out of Maryland's announcement of a renovated Cole Fieldhouse and use the Barn as the inspiration to turn a renovated and expanded Barn into the Athletes Village. Also used for academic purposes, like what Maryland is doing.

I would also like to see a Rutgers sports museum there. Highlighting it should be an atrium over an exposed section of the first college football field.

A man can dream...

Originally posted by _dave_:
Would be awesome to take a page out of Maryland's announcement of a renovated Cole Fieldhouse and use the Barn as the inspiration to turn a renovated and expanded Barn into the Athletes Village. Also used for academic purposes, like what Maryland is doing.

I would also like to see a Rutgers sports museum there. Highlighting it should be an atrium over an exposed section of the first college football field.

A man can dream...

Dave - the reason for an "athlete's village" being on Busch is because it's where most of our sports play. Only volleyball is a FT College Ave sport (and wrestling part-time).

Nuts

I'm sure those 4 points are her plan. Wrestling is really FT @ The Barn, as that's where they practice & have most matches, so moving their offices to Busch would be odd (more so than having a basketball practice facility there) unless there's a wrestling practice facility included, which there isn't. That's why the Barn should be upgraded for wrestling & volleyball gets the added benefit too.

NUTS,

When you say "The RAC would be turned into a full-blown wrestling facility," what would you do with all the other offices and locker rooms and such? Does full-blown mean that it wouldn't be a shared facility? That's a huge freaking facility for just the wrestling team.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
NUTS,

When you say "The RAC would be turned into a full-blown wrestling facility," what would you do with all the other offices and locker rooms and such? Does full-blown mean that it wouldn't be a shared facility? That's a huge freaking facility for just the wrestling team.
The other offices were rumored to be moved to the Hale Center with football moving to a new football only practice facility near the athletes village (where the bubble is). I'm sure that plans are in flux until funding comes.

Nuts, I like the Barn because that area needs to be redeveloped and it's centrally located to all campuses. I understand that Busch makes for more of a regular sports complex but other sports are spread out a bit any way.

For example: why make a baseball/softball only building on Livingston? Can money be raised to also include an indoor track and basketball practice facility since those sports are also played/run on that campus? If not then those players will be bouncing from campus to campus. May as well send them to College Ave. :)

a few things (think I've got it covered and don't quote me on everything...I've heard bits and pieces, from different people involved, just trying to put it all together):

Leonard - something like that, with all the offices moved, obviously, and a full-blown practice facility.

PhilaPlans - we're talking about the space where the courts are and beyond, away from the front doors, offices, and concessions. I'm sure that sports like Track and Field/Cross Country, Field Hockey, Softball and Baseball, would still maintain offices there.

Again, don't get too excited, a "new" arena is LONG ways off guys.

_dave_

- as I stated above I'm not really sure we CAN make structural changes to The Barn. It may be considered a historical landmark at this point.

- it's not going to happen on College Ave anyway. The following sports are hosted on Busch: Football, Swimming, Soccer (M&W), Lax (M&W), Golf (M&W), and Tennis (W). There are 2 housed on College Ave (Wrestling and Volleyball) these days.

- the baseball/softball "building" is not a building, but an indoor pitching and hitting facility. No offices, gym, or anything else. A $3M facility for which funds are specifically being donated to build. The money WILL NOT go to anything else.

Stupid history.....

Thanks for the info. If I may continue to be a PITA and make suggestions that will never happen, is it too late to add a hotel to the North end zone regrading/2nd deck project? Can house the new hotel/restaurant management school and would be THE place to stay as it will house a bar/restaurant that overlooks the field. Stick a death star above it to garner more support.

Back to reality, if the village is going where the courts are, I wonder if the vision for her new arena will eventually also be on Busch. Scarlet lot area, perhaps?

Originally posted by _dave_:
Stupid history.....

Thanks for the info. If I may continue to be a PITA and make suggestions that will never happen, is it too late to add a hotel to the North end zone regrading/2nd deck project? Can house the new hotel/restaurant management school and would be THE place to stay as it will house a bar/restaurant that overlooks the field. Stick a death star above it to garner more support.

Back to reality, if the village is going where the courts are, I wonder if the vision for her new arena will eventually also be on Busch. Scarlet lot area, perhaps?
Don't get me started about the fact that the biggest school in the one of the largest "hospitality" regions, in the world, doens't have a RHM school. Unreal.

Anyway...not sure what you mean...the "village" would be on Busch. What do you mean "where the courts are?" And, no, I think her thoughts are downtown for the arena.

I heard that she has been pushing really hard for a downtown arena but can't get any support from the New Brunswick powers that don't want a vacant arena 300+ days/year.

I don't blame them either. The RAC is fine.

We need to get better practice facilities and locker room. Better coaching.

The arena is the least of our problems. It's got some history. When it's rocking, it gets really loud. The latter part is a really good thing that we would be sacrificing with a new arena. From my understanding I don't think we can build an arena as loud as the RAC can potentially get anymore. Don't remember where I read that, but that's what I read. I could be wrong.

I thought that I read here that she was looking at the village being where the tennis courts are. Maybe I misunderstood if you are now saying no.

Regarding downtown, rumor at one time was J&J building it as a conference center and charging Rutgers rent. That obviously fell through.

Keep in mind that I believe The Barn no longer is an Athletic Department facility but belongs to Recreation as does the Werblin Center and the facility for gymnastics at Livingston. Cutting thru some if the internal red tape and budgeting issues as well as "turf" problems will put a damper on many things. When an internal athletic department has to rent space from another university department and when all athletic facilities are not controlled by the athletic department you have a recipe for disaster and related $$$ issues. Welcome to Rutgers and how business is handled. Several of the above mentioned ideas certainly have metit.

What is really needed is a single major athletic facility as a replacement on the sight of the Bubble that is in essence owned and operated by Rutgers Athletics Department as well as coordination of various athletic fields and the Werblin Center. How the Werblin Center ever became a Recreation "owned" and operated facility is a mystery and has to be a partial factor in cutting men's swimming which was a long standing and successful program at Rutgers. It also was a loss if a positive flow income facility. Now Rutgers Athletics has to rent space for the use if the pool. And people wonder how and why athletics shows huge deficit spending.

Classic NJ politics and accounting at its best.

This post was edited on 11/28 2:17 AM by RU62

Originally posted by RU62:
Keep in mind that I believe The Barn no longer is an Athletic Department facility but belongs to Recreation as does the Werblin Center and the facility for gymnastics at Livingston. Cutting thru some if the internal red tape and budgeting issues as well as "turf" problems will put a damper on many things. When an internal athletic department has to rent space from another university department and when all athletic facilities are not controlled by the athletic department you have a recipe for disaster and related $$$ issues. Welcome to Rutgers and how business is handled. Several of the above mentioned ideas certainly have metit.

What is really needed is a single major athletic facility as a replacement on the sight of the Bubble that is in essence owned and operated by Rutgers Athletics Department as well as coordination of various athletic fields and the Werblin Center. How the Werblin Center ever became a Recreation "owned" and operated facility is a mystery and has to be a partial factor in cutting men's swimming which was a long standing and successful program at Rutgers. It also was a loss if a positive flow income facility. Now Rutgers Athletics has to rent space for the use if the pool. And people wonder how and why athletics shows huge deficit spending. Classic NJ politics and accounting at its best.

This post was edited on 11/28 2:17 AM by RU62
Can't give you a date but I'm pretty sure as we move forward the old way of doing things is going to change. Might takes some time because of the issues you mentioned, but it will happen.

A new day is dawning...the train is about to leave the station...etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT