ADVERTISEMENT

Aundre Hyatt taking an official visit, still weighing 18 vs 19

Prove it.

Prove that every head coach knows EVERYTHING going on with his program at ALL times when it comes to things his assistants are doing.

See, I get what you're saying... but the "prove it" mindset is exactly why steps are taken to ensure plausible deniability. It's in the same vein as "it ain't a crime if you don't get caught".

Will a HC *always* know what's going on? Unlikely - especially if it's a one time thing, or a special situation.

Will a HC *likely* know what's going on? Yeah - especially if it's a repeated occurrence or a pattern of behavior.

A "clean HC" with "dirty assistants" may at times be similar to a mob boss - he may damn well be aware of what's going on, but he's taken measures to ensure that none of it can be tied back to him.

If a HC doesn't know what's going on with his assistants (especially if it's a pattern of behavior), there's a good chance it's due to plain incompetence (no control over or awareness of the actions of his direct subordinates).

if Hyatt were to commit to us, hopefully, would he play this year, provided he isn't injured? where would be project--I realize we have a lot of new players at the wing so may be hard at this point?
Dah no. If youse been reading this thread & his tweets you'd be knowin he reclassified to '18 so he could sit out next season, rehab & get ready for next year. Readin comprehension can be cured by a good pharmacist. :popcorn:

Reactions: RUinsouthjersey
I reckon that's why I haven't practiced pharmacy since graduating...

given all the recent changes, I wasn't sure if he now decided he wanted to play in '18...

Reactions: Scangg
Just rewatched the last four minutes of Rutgers versus Seton Hall!

Sanders jumper was automatic. Omoyuri played with the heart of four lions. Williams locked down Rodriguez.

I look forward to the ovation we give Sanders when he comes back to the Banks. So clutch in that game.

More importantly, a GREAT kid with a BRIGHT future.

Let's go, #3!

See, I get what you're saying... but the "prove it" mindset is exactly why steps are taken to ensure plausible deniability. It's in the same vein as "it ain't a crime if you don't get caught".

Will a HC *always* know what's going on? Unlikely - especially if it's a one time thing, or a special situation.

Will a HC *likely* know what's going on? Yeah - especially if it's a repeated occurrence or a pattern of behavior.

A "clean HC" with "dirty assistants" may at times be similar to a mob boss - he may damn well be aware of what's going on, but he's taken measures to ensure that none of it can be tied back to him.

If a HC doesn't know what's going on with his assistants (especially if it's a pattern of behavior), there's a good chance it's due to plain incompetence (no control over or awareness of the actions of his direct subordinates).
My point is that you can't prove that every head coach knows EVERYTHING going on with his program at ALL times when it comes to things his assistants are doing any more than I can't prove that every head coach doesn't know EVERYTHING going on with his program at ALL times when it comes to things his assistants are doing.

So, the appropriate thing to do is not accuse every head coach of being aware of all of things his assistants are doing.

Also, in the case of Coach Taliaferro at Oklahoma it appeared to be a one time thing.

Reactions: BLewis1968
My point is that you can't prove that every head coach knows EVERYTHING going on with his program at ALL times when it comes to things his assistants are doing any more than I can't prove that every head coach doesn't know EVERYTHING going on with his program at ALL times when it comes to things his assistants are doing.

So, the appropriate thing to do is not accuse every head coach of being aware of all of things his assistants are doing.

Also, in the case of Coach Taliaferro at Oklahoma it appeared to be a one time thing.

I don't know enough about the Capel situation to comment. I was just commenting on the "prove it" mentality.

Competent head coaches are aware of what's going on in their program - this isn't like an AD who isn't dealing with every athlete or recruit day to day, this is a HC who interacts with the players, recruits, and staff constantly. If there's a bad actor on their staff, they are either oblivious to the goings on within their program or they are looking the other way and insulating themselves from blowback.

One-off situations? Can totally understand it being done on the DL without the coach's knowledge. Something that's ongoing for months or years, or involving multiple players, or multiple staff members? Or has happened with different assistants at different coaching stops? In those situations, either the HC either is aware, or has no business running a program.

I don't know enough about the Capel situation to comment. I was just commenting on the "prove it" mentality.

Competent head coaches are aware of what's going on in their program - this isn't like an AD who isn't dealing with every athlete or recruit day to day, this is a HC who interacts with the players, recruits, and staff constantly. If there's a bad actor on their staff, they are either oblivious to the goings on within their program or they are looking the other way and insulating themselves from blowback.

One-off situations? Can totally understand it being done on the DL without the coach's knowledge. Something that's ongoing for months or years, or involving multiple players, or multiple staff members? Or has happened with different assistants at different coaching stops? In those situations, either the HC either is aware, or has no business running a program.

I would never accuse or state that I know something if I don't know. But watching from a distance, I certainly suspect. And I think that's a reasonable thing to do given how these things generally work. It's red mark on his record, but not enough to convict in the court of public opinion.

When that happened I thought it was odd too. At other programs assistant coaches, and support people (which football usually has tons of) usually take on that kind of thing so as to insulate the head coach when the investigation happens.

Look, do I know for a fact that Capel 100 percent did not know what Coach Taliaferro was doing? Nope.
Does anyone in this thread know for a fact that Capel 100 percent did know Coach Taliaferro was doing? Nope.

If people want to play the innuendo game that's fine. I'm just sticking to the facts. The facts are that there was an investigation, both by the school and the NCAA and Coach Capel was not implicated in what Coach Taliaferro did.

Not to mention that OU was on probation at the time for things Kelvin Sampson did before bouncing to Indiana. So it stands to reason that if the head basketball coach at OU had broken rules, or there was evidence/proof that he knew one of his assistants was breaking rules, things would have been much worse in Norman (with a repeat offender status). Plus, I don't think Coach K would have welcomed Capel back at Duke if he had been implicated.

Maybe it just burns some RU fans that head coaches at other schools sometimes aren't implicated in rule breaking when head coaches at RU not only were implicated but actually get caught breaking rules, or have their bad behavior caught on video and played on network morning shows, ESPN, local TV, etc. If that's what leads to snarky posts by some people about coaches, okay, I get it.

You are usually a classy poster. No need to take a cheap shot here. I think its a very reasonable thing for the average person to look at that situation and conclude that the HC was likely complicit. Of course we don't know that. But it's beneath you to say that the only reason people here are making that assumption is because one of our coaches got caught. We are better than that and so are you.

You are usually a classy poster. No need to take a cheap shot here. I think its a very reasonable thing for the average person to look at that situation and conclude that the HC was likely complicit. Of course we don't know that. But it's beneath you to say that the only reason people here are making that assumption is because one of our coaches got caught. We are better than that and so are you.
1. I did not say that was the only reason

2. I did not say it was everybody, precisely because some people here are better than that.

3. It's one thing to assume it is likely. I get that, but it's another thing for someone to make snarky comments about it as if it is a foregone conclusion that Capel knew and that by merely mentioning that there were actual investigations and Capel was not implicated in the violations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT