ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Austin Johnson Joins Rutgers Radio Broadcast Crew

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers men’s basketball will have a new voice on the radio airwaves this season as former Scarlet Knights Austin Johnson joins the RWJBarnabas Health Rutgers Sports Network in 2021-22. Johnson will serve as an analyst, calling the action alongside play-by-play announcer Jerry Recco.

“I am thrilled to be back in the booth with Rutgers radio,” said Johnson. “I am a proud member of the Rutgers men’s basketball family and it’s a blessing to have the opportunity to stay connected to the game I love and be part of a program that has been pivotal in my development. I have enjoyed watching the incredible job Coach Pikiell is doing to build this program.”

A four-year letterwinner with the men’s basketball program, Johnson competed for the Scarlet Knights from 2009-13. He appeared in 126 games, earning 36 starts over his last two seasons ‘On the Banks.’ He turned in a career performance in his final game wearing a Rutgers uniform, scoring 18 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the floor and adding six rebounds in a Big East Championship matchup with then-No. 24 Notre Dame.

Johnson currently works for Moody’s analytics in New York’s Financial District and resides in Brooklyn with his fiancé Celeste Dayawon.

Johnson served as an analyst for RVision, covering livestreamed Rutgers men’s and women’s basketball games during the 2014-15 and 2016-17 seasons. Johnson and Recco will make their debut as a tandem on Wednesday, Nov. 10 for the Scarlet Knights’ season opener at home against Lehigh. Johnson steps into the broadcast booth after the sudden loss of beloved analyst and former Rutgers associate head basketball coach Joe Boylan who passed away last March.

The Scarlet Knights are coming off the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1991. Rutgers defeated No. 7 seed Clemson for the team's first NCAA Tournament victory in 38 years, dating back to 1983. Rutgers, under the direction of head coach Steve Pikiell, completed back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 1990-91 and 1991-92 and won double-digit conference games in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1989-90 and 1990-91.

The Scarlet Knights return nine letterwinners, including starters Geo Baker, Ron Harper Jr., Paul Mulcahy, and Caleb McConnell, from a squad that went 16-12 overall and posted a KenPom ranking of 38 and a NET ranking of 40. The team spent 11 weeks nationally ranked or receiving votes in the AP Poll, peaking at No. 11 in the nation. In the regular season, RU earned wins over five teams that qualified for the NCAA Tourn

Always been a big AJ fan. Remember those shu games when punk Herb Pope would cheap shot anybody on our team....except AJ. #Beast

I'm I remembering right or didnt Roy Hinson do the games with Bruce Johnson for maybe one year a long time ago?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT