ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Williams Visiting RU

Again, regardless of the circumstances with his recruitment, he proved to be the best player on the team. No point in considering other scenarios had he not come here.

He was so good so often that it’s extremely hard to believe his replacement will be better. Possible, but highly unlikely.
While, facts are important. He was not the hand picked first choice. He was option 2 or 3.

Question: Cam Spencer and Andrew Funk were in the portal around the same time. Is it highly unlikely that Rutgers is better with Funk vs. Spencer?

I could do the same with about 15 other players that were in the portal. My point is, the 'Without Cam" is just a bad argument.

Last edited:
If you want to compare Austin Williams to Cam Spencer - do you factor in NCAA tournament appearances? Conference Tournament MVPs? Player impact/value to team success?
How did Cam's Loyola team do while he was there?
Like this?
Loyola MD
18-19 (11-21)
19-20 (15-17) Cam FR 23GM, 9 starts
20-21 (6-11) Cam SO 5GM, 3 starts
21-22 (14-16) Cam SO 30GM, 30 starts
22-23 (13-20) No Cam

18-19, 19-20 Hartford 18-15, 18-15
20-21 15-9 NCAA, Austin JR 24 GM, 24starts

In May 2021 Hartford announced they were dropping down to D3, 66% min/scoring returned in last AE season, started 1-10, but handed Vermont(28-6,17-1) their only reg season loss @ Hartford, thanks to Austin Williams 34,8,6.
21-22 12-20, Austin JR 27 GM, 27starts, missed last 5 GM
Leading scorer both years.

22-23 5-23, most of the team left in their independent last year in D1.

Reactions: MV9000
It's not Cam's fault he was the only perimeter scoring threat on the court last season. Teams focused in on him which should have opened up driving lanes for others, but we had a roster full of players who couldn't do that until Simpson late late in the season

On next year's roster Fernandes would be a 3 point threat that could score off the dribble which should have opened things up for Spencer. Simpson year 2 again driving to the lane causing the defense to help opening up for Spencer. Griffiths on the other wing so it would help open things up for Spencer. Davis speed and penetration to dish would open things up for Spencer

Fernades Spencer and Griffiths would be quite the 3 headed 3 point monster for a program that struggles shooting 3's... the question would be defensively

As for Williams... him or the ISU kid both have some talent coming off injuries is the best we are going to likely get at this late stage so let's grab one and hope it pans out and they are healthy/can get waivers

If a real stud pops up it'll be like the rest of the recent names where big money is thrown around. Paul and Cam getting paiddd. We aren't upgrading significantly without a big bag to give

It's not Cam's fault he was the only perimeter scoring threat on the court last season. Teams focused in on him which should have opened up driving lanes for others, but we had a roster full of players who couldn't do that until Simpson late late in the season

On next year's roster Fernandes would be a 3 point threat that could score off the dribble which should have opened things up for Spencer. Simpson year 2 again driving to the lane causing the defense to help opening up for Spencer. Griffiths on the other wing so it would help open things up for Spencer. Davis speed and penetration to dish would open things up for Spencer

Fernades Spencer and Griffiths would be quite the 3 headed 3 point monster for a program that struggles shooting 3's... the question would be defensively
Exactly my thoughts and I was really looking forward to 3 legit 3 point threats, after years of 0-1. Not to mention Paul as a capable 4th 3 point threat off the bench. *sigh*

Reactions: Scangg and Degaz-RU
I liked Cam but, the offense should move very differently this year. No question, we are speeding it up big time, and we should. Speed kills in college BB. Cam was slow and his defense was bad. Gonna miss him but its time to move to a fast pace.
YEP, Pikiell had to do the slow , deliberate offensive thing because he did not have the athletes. Recent recruiting points to more athletic players, Fernandes, Davis, Simpson, Griffith, Ace next year. Even, Warren before his decommit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Again, regardless of the circumstances with his recruitment, he proved to be the best player on the team. No point in considering other scenarios had he not come here.

He was so good so often that it’s extremely hard to believe his replacement will be better. Possible, but highly unlikely.
Cam was the most consistent scorer on team. He was not the best player on team. Cliff was the best and currently is the best player on the team. Derek has a chance to be the best with everyone waiting to see Gavin’s talents on the BIG stage.

GO RU

If we can't maximize our talent we might as well maximize our age/experience. I don't think Aundre Hyatt or Austin Williams are anything special as basketball players but there's something to be said for 11 combined years of experience. That's 11 years of S&C (injuries excepted), practice time, film study, etc.

It's not a "secret sauce" and there has to be some talent... No amount of experience was making Ralph Gonzales-Agee into a Big Ten player. But if you look at teams that overachieve relative to your perception of their talent the reason for that is often that they just have a bunch of old guys.

I will only ask if it's such a poor evaluation, tell me which of these facts didn't occur last season.

1 of 14 from 3 in losses to Temple, SHU, Miami. All 3 losses are swing games in a NCAA resume.

1 of 13 in 2 games vs Sparty....3-14 overall at MSU in a 13 point road loss.....

2 points in 25 minutes in a 9 point loss at Illinois.

8 points in a home loss to Nebraska.

9 points in a home loss to Northwestern.

Why am I pointing out 8 key games out of 34....because it's more than 8 out of 34 total games, it's kinda 8 out of 27 key games.

There are 9 games that Spencer played against Q4 competition.....he thrived in those games, shooting 52% from 3 against weak competition.

Once you remove those 9 games from the resume, he averages around 11PPG.

We are looking at trying to "match" 11PPG in key games against legitimate opponents.

To close this loop, we lost 14 games in the regular season and B1G tournament with Spencer as the starting Shooting Guard.

I've posted in another thread, RU was extremely fortunate that PSU imploded in the 2nd half at Happy Valley, otherwise the February/March stretch would have been completely horrific. There was nothing trending in the right direction that showed me, Spencer nor Mulcahy, were getting better. They hit a ceiling and 19-15, isn't good enough IMO.
What was left out of you evaluation is that Spencer was our best player last year.

Who is to say Fernandes, Davis, and Gavin can't outplay the low expectations set by our fans? Let's not forget Simpson begin to flash his abilities at the end of the season. Most players in any sport likely make the biggest leap in development between their first and second seasons. Don't knock them until you see them in person. 🤣

I think that Fernandes, Davis, and Simpson can all be really solid players and contributors - and I'm hopeful that they're all going to do good things for us next year.

But they're all going to be a significant size disadvantage defensively if they have to guard wings. 5-11/175, 6-2/160, 6-3/170.... vs. guys who are 6-6+/200+

Griffiths is not playing 40 minutes. So there will be anywhere from 10-20 minutes of defense that needs to be played on the wing each game when he's off the floor.

If Mag slides over, that puts Mag/Hyatt playing together for long stretches and thins out the depth at the four. Hopefully Chol can step up and give us some defensive minutes.

Really need to pull some depth from the portal at the 2/3, or we're going to be susceptible to bully ball on the perimeter from bigger teams.

I think that Fernandes, Davis, and Simpson can all be really solid players and contributors - and I'm hopeful that they're all going to do good things for us next year.

But they're all going to be a significant size disadvantage defensively if they have to guard wings. 5-11/175, 6-2/160, 6-3/170.... vs. guys who are 6-6+/200+

Griffiths is not playing 40 minutes. So there will be anywhere from 10-20 minutes of defense that needs to be played on the wing each game when he's off the floor.

If Mag slides over, that puts Mag/Hyatt playing together for long stretches and thins out the depth at the four. Hopefully Chol can step up and give us some defensive minutes.

Really need to pull some depth from the portal at the 2/3, or we're going to be susceptible to bully ball on the perimeter from bigger teams.
Who in the B1G has the size advantage over our guards?

Rutgers' goal this year was to have Simpson (mainly) and Davis bring up the ball. It's one reason why Paul has moved on. He didn't like the fact he was no longer the primary ballhandler. Cam wouldn't have to be as involved as he was last year. Paul would have relieved Simpson at times while breaking in Davis.
I would suspect Cam didn‘t want to bring the ball up, he was forced to by necessity and negatively impacted his ability to get into position to shoot. He was unfortunately the best person we had to do that last year, which was a major problem. And Fernandes will be the primary ball handler this year.

I agree that's Uconn fans' plan. For whatever reason they underrate Newton obscenely.
Castle isn't a point guard, it will be interesting to see how Hurley tells him this/utilizes him.
Castle is a lot like Harper, he will have the ball in his hands and will control the offense.

Like this?
Loyola MD
18-19 (11-21)
19-20 (15-17) Cam FR 23GM, 9 starts
20-21 (6-11) Cam SO 5GM, 3 starts
21-22 (14-16) Cam SO 30GM, 30 starts
22-23 (13-20) No Cam

18-19, 19-20 Hartford 18-15, 18-15
20-21 15-9 NCAA, Austin JR 24 GM, 24starts

In May 2021 Hartford announced they were dropping down to D3, 66% min/scoring returned in last AE season, started 1-10, but handed Vermont(28-6,17-1) their only reg season loss @ Hartford, thanks to Austin Williams 34,8,6.
21-22 12-20, Austin JR 27 GM, 27starts, missed last 5 GM
Leading scorer both years.

22-23 5-23, most of the team left in their independent last year in D1.
You left out the conference tournament championship, conference tournament MVP and NCAA bid for WIlliams/Hartford.

Seems like those 3 are all good ball movement guys too. Would have been fun to watch for sure.

Who in the B1G has the size advantage over our guards?

I don't have final roster lists for next year, but going on minutes played last year for the top half of the conference:

Purdue: Smith (6-0/180), Loyer (6-4/185), Morton (6-6/215), Gillis (6-6/230), Newman (6-5/195)
Indiana: Kopp (6-7/215), Hood-Schifino (6-6/213), Galloway (6-4/210), Bates (6-5/193)
NW: Buie (6-2/180), Audige (6-4/200), Berry (6-2/190), Barnhizer (6-6/215)
MSU: Walker (6-0/162), Hoggard (6-3/220), Akins (6-4/180), Hall (6-7/215)
Maryland: Hart (6-6/200), Young (6-2/185), Carey (6-5/187), Martinez (6-3/181), Emilien (6-6/205)
Illinois: Shannon (6-6/210), Mayer (6-9/225), Epps (6-2/190), Melendez (6-7/205), Rodgers (6-6/200)
Iowa: C. McCaffery (6-5/205), Perkins (6-4/210), Ulis (6-3/190), Sandfort (6-7/215)

Rutgers: Fernandes (5-11/175), Davis (6-2/160), Simpson (6-3/170), Griffiths (6-7/185)

In the top half of the conference, only one team had more than one guy under 6-4 (NW) and there was only one guy under 180 (Walker).

A lot of those guys have gone, and there are newcomers and bench players waiting to step up into those roles - and I have no idea who is going to get what minutes next year. We're also hopefully going to grab another (larger) guard in the portal, too.

Edit: Removed Murray and Scott.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Many of those guys liste
I don't have final roster lists for next year, but going on minutes played last year for the top half of the conference:

Purdue: Smith (6-0/180), Loyer (6-4/185), Morton (6-6/215), Gillis (6-6/230), Newman (6-5/195)
Indiana: Kopp (6-7/215), Hood-Schifino (6-6/213), Galloway (6-4/210), Bates (6-5/193)
Maryland: Hart (6-6/200), Scott (6-7/225), Young (6-2/185), Carey (6-5/187), Martinez (6-3/181), Emilien (6-6/205)
Illinois: Shannon (6-6/210), Mayer (6-9/225), Epps (6-2/190), Melendez (6-7/205), Rodgers (6-6/200)
Iowa: Murray (6-8/215), C. McCaffery (6-5/205), Perkins (6-4/210), Ulis (6-3/190), Sandfort (6-7/215)

Rutgers: Fernandes (5-11/175), Davis (6-2/160), Simpson (6-3/170), Griffiths (6-7/185)

In the top half of the conference, only one team had more than one guy under 6-4 (NW) and there was only one guy under 180 (Walker).

A lot of those guys have gone, and there are newcomers and bench players waiting to step up into those roles - and I have no idea who is going to get what minutes next year. We're also hopefully going to grab another (larger) guard in the portal, too.
Many of those guys you listed played the 4.

Maryland: Hart (6-6/200), Scott (6-7/225), Young (6-2/185), Carey (6-5/187), Martinez (6-3/181), Emilien (6-6/205)
Iowa: Murray (6-8/215), C. McCaffery (6-5/205), Perkins (6-4/210), Ulis (6-3/190), Sandfort (6-7/215)

Some people you've listed are no longer on their respective teams. Kopp and Hood-Schifino are gone from Indiana, but they return Xavier Johnson (6'3/200) from an injury. Audige of Northwestern is gone too. So is Murray of Iowa. Also, some bigger players listed as guards are more wing players. Rutgers isn't the only team getting away from a heavy rotation of big guards (6'4 or taller). The B1G might finally be moving away from big robotic guards. The more athletic guard who can score and play tough on the ball defense, making it difficult to bring the ball up the court. Teams are building more for the tournament than old-school B1G ball.

Some people you've listed are no longer on their respective teams. Kopp and Hood-Schifino are gone from Indiana, but they return Xavier Johnson (6'3/200) from an injury. Audige of Northwestern is gone too. So is Murray of Iowa. Also, some bigger players listed as guards are more wing players. Rutgers isn't the only team getting away from a heavy rotation of big guards (6'4 or taller). The B1G might finally be moving away from big robotic guards. The more athletic guard who can score and play tough on the ball defense, making it difficult to bring the ball up the court. Teams are building more for the tournament than old-school B1G ball.

Yeah, I put that context in my post. This is based off of last year's rosters, because we don't yet have 2023-24 rosters anywhere (and certainly not with target minutes per player).

And also, as I said, my concern is specifically our defensive wing depth - which is why I was looking at wing players. If we were to go into next season with the current roster (which I doubt), we're paper thin on the wing. When Griffiths goes to the bench, it means either Simpson defends a wing (as the largest of our remaining guards) or we shift one of our fours up to the wing and play two fours (Mag/Hyatt, Mag/Chol, Hyatt/Chol)... which gives us less depth at the four (and we don't know how close to 100% Mag will be to start the season).

Is your expectation that there will be widespread downsizing at the guard/wing positions across the league?

Looking at the incoming freshman/portal transfer guard/wing players for those programs:
Purdue: Benter (6-4/180)
Indiana: n/a
NW: Langborg (6-4/190)
MSU: Teng (6-4/185), Brooks (6-6/205)
MD: Geronimo (6-6/195), Stephens (6-3/170)
Ill: Domask (6-6/215), Guerrier (6-7/190), Harmon (6-4/190)
Iowa: n/a

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Many of those guys liste

Many of those guys you listed played the 4.

Several did spend time at the 4, but not exclusively. I tried to remove the pure fours, or the 4/5 guys. Donte Scott and Kris Murray spent very little time at the three, though - I'll edit them out above.

Purdue: Gillis was the starting 3, but also played minutes at the 4.

Indiana: Kopp was the starting 3. TJD/Thompson/Reneau took up 72.8 min at the 4/5.

NW: Barnhizer was a backup at both the 3 and 4.

MSU: Akins was the starting 3. Sissoko/Hauser/Kohler/Cooper took up 72.9 min at the 4/5. I think Hall backed up both 3/4.

MD: I'll take Scott out from above. The Terps had a very switchable lineup last year, with 7 rotation guys between 6-5 and 6-7, two guards at 6-2/6-3, and a center at 6-9.

Illinois: Mayer was the starting 3 at 6-9/225, starting alongside Hawkins/Dainja at the 4/5. He did play minutes at the 4, though, too. I think Melendez also backed up 3/4.

Iowa: Murray was the starting 4, but played some time at the wing alongside McCaffery/Rebraca in at 4/5. I can probably remove him, too, though.

To be replaced by the career 28% 3 point shooter in the AAC coming off a year of not playing due to injury?

Yikes.
Yes, the difference between a 24-year-old with all that experience, repetitions and everything else that goes along with all those years in college over a 20-year-old is huge. (I think those are the ages - Simpson could be younger, Williams could be even older)

I think as a point guard the size disadvantage is way overrated...Can't tell you how many games I watch form my kids to college and the pros with the best or one of the best players the smallest guy on the court

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
I think as a point guard the size disadvantage is way overrated...Can't tell you how many games I watch form my kids to college and the pros with the best or one of the best players the smallest guy on the court
Not saying they won't or can't be. But Steph Curry is one of the best players in the NBA.... and asking him to guard Luka Doncic isn't a good match up for him.

You can be a true standout player, but that doesn't mean you're able to match up with everyone equally well defensively.

As for Williams... him or the ISU kid both have some talent coming off injuries is the best we are going to likely get at this late stage so let's grab one and hope it pans out and they are healthy/can get waivers

If a real stud pops up it'll be like the rest of the recent names where big money is thrown around. Paul and Cam getting paiddd. We aren't upgrading significantly without a big bag to give

This. I have a feeling our best chance to be “good” will be to run a heavy dose of full court pressure (assuming Mag is at 90% or better). I see this as a realistic path towards being a decent team because the press was effective with Mag last season even with Caleb on the bench. That was the only time Pike could really sit him…

With this in mind, you need quick, athletic kids that buy in - and some depth to run it more frequently. Davis seems like a kid who could pick that scheme up fast. Both Williams seem athletic enough to complement that so as long as they are eligible to play, I’m all for them. Id bet my mortgage we’re not going to have a pretty halfcourt offense with sweet rotations and lights out shooting anyway.

I will only ask if it's such a poor evaluation, tell me which of these facts didn't occur last season.

1 of 14 from 3 in losses to Temple, SHU, Miami. All 3 losses are swing games in a NCAA resume.

1 of 13 in 2 games vs Sparty....3-14 overall at MSU in a 13 point road loss.....

2 points in 25 minutes in a 9 point loss at Illinois.

8 points in a home loss to Nebraska.

9 points in a home loss to Northwestern.

Why am I pointing out 8 key games out of 34....because it's more than 8 out of 34 total games, it's kinda 8 out of 27 key games.

There are 9 games that Spencer played against Q4 competition.....he thrived in those games, shooting 52% from 3 against weak competition.

Once you remove those 9 games from the resume, he averages around 11PPG.

We are looking at trying to "match" 11PPG in key games against legitimate opponents.

To close this loop, we lost 14 games in the regular season and B1G tournament with Spencer as the starting Shooting Guard.

I've posted in another thread, RU was extremely fortunate that PSU imploded in the 2nd half at Happy Valley, otherwise the February/March stretch would have been completely horrific. There was nothing trending in the right direction that showed me, Spencer nor Mulcahy, were getting better. They hit a ceiling and 19-15, isn't good enough IMO.
What’s missing from your analysis is CONTEXT and COMPARATORS.

You’ve given some stats from Spencer — of course omitting the incredible Purdue, NW, and Wisconsin games — and showed that he had some poor and mediocre games on the way to leading Rutgers in scoring average, and had a lot of really good games against our lower level opponents.

But I would bet that if you broke down the game-by-game stats of just about any guy with a high ppg average, you’re going to find a similar mix of poor, mediocre, good, and great games.

And I would further bet that MOST high ppg guys ALSO feast on lower level opponents.

If I’m right, then all you’ve shown is that Cam Spencer played like most high ppg guys play — with a mix of poor to great games, resulting in an “average” that led the team in points per game. Plus you’ve largely ignored the games in which he greatly impacted the game in a positive way, and you’ve ignored the impacts he had in other facets of the game, like his knack for getting steals and rebounds.

It’s just a poor overall analysis of a player’s overall impact. And using that poor analysis to conclude that Austin Williams will be a better player at Rutgers than Cam is just faulty. I mean, he MIGHT be better, but we really don’t know, and your analysis doesn’t prove it one way or the other.

Mind you, I WANT Williams, as we need another guard/wing. But your downplaying of Cam Spencer’s impact last year is unnecessary and incorrect.

What’s missing from your analysis is CONTEXT and COMPARATORS.

You’ve given some stats from Spencer — of course omitting the incredible Purdue, NW, and Wisconsin games — and showed that he had some poor and mediocre games on the way to leading Rutgers in scoring average, and had a lot of really good games against our lower level opponents.

But I would bet that if you broke down the game-by-game stats of just about any guy with a high ppg average, you’re going to find a similar mix of poor, mediocre, good, and great games.

And I would further bet that MOST high ppg guys ALSO feast on lower level opponents.

If I’m right, then all you’ve shown is that Cam Spencer played like most high ppg guys play — with a mix of poor to great games, resulting in an “average” that led the team in points per game. Plus you’ve largely ignored the games in which he greatly impacted the game in a positive way, and you’ve ignored the impacts he had in other facets of the game, like his knack for getting steals and rebounds.

It’s just a poor overall analysis of a player’s overall impact. And using that poor analysis to conclude that Austin Williams will be a better player at Rutgers than Cam is just faulty. I mean, he MIGHT be better, but we really don’t know, and your analysis doesn’t prove it one way or the other.

Mind you, I WANT Williams, as we need another guard/wing. But your downplaying of Cam Spencer’s impact last year is unnecessary and incorrect.
Amen!

Negative Nancy's lol.

The game has evolved into a 3 point shooting match and Rutgers needs 3 point shooters. Fernandez hasn't shot enough to show whether he can do it consistently so you're going to depend on a Frosh alone?
knightfan7 likely got cut from his biddy basketball team yet he is advising RU fans on player personnel decisions?

I will trust Coach Pike‘s player evaluations over this message board troll.

I like Cam. He hit some big shots. That said, quite a few fans overstate his talent. He disappeared in several games and there were many times Pike didn’t even play him down the stretch of games. I wanted him back and think Fernandes would have made him better, but we’ll be fine.
This is exactly how I feel. He was great against slower defenses, or those that didn't get up in his face. When he was left alone to shoot, he was deadly. But I agree that we'll be fine without him.

I agree we’re not shelling out money for a major stud but Pike has some wrinkles to navigate here. Recruiting progress can quickly fall apart if your current team really stinks. We don’t need to be great this year, but it’s important not to fall too hard. It seems like we’ll have enough weapons on offense to be similar to past years under Pike. The big question mark for us is the defense. I’m holding out hope that we bring in someone solid on that side even if we have to shell out a few dollars for it. I don’t want an Agee type - and def don’t care about ppg.

Reactions: Scangg and Fat Koko
Sure, the defending champs want Cam as a transfer and their boosters are paying him $$$ to get him, but he's not that good.

🙄
He's not that good, ate you saying UConn has 13 all Americans, 13 lottery picks of their 13 scholarship kids....Mulcahy could pick Xavier and wind up starting for them and it wouldn't mean he's better for RU than Fernandes, Williams, Simpson or Griffiths....people do realize there are more quality players than Power 5/6 spots. Cam Spencer is a limited specialist....he's not a primary man on any reasonably good team. He's going to play a reduced role at UConn that gets catch and shoot opportunities because of the talent and big man Clingan, who's going to immediately draw double coverage.

It's amazing how many fans don't comprehend fit, roles and responsibilities and workload on a basketball court. Cam Spencer had 34 games (no injury excuses) and had ample opportunity to step up and take big shots on a consistent level. He simply is too limited to be a primary scoring option that can generate his own offense, on a NCAA caliber team. He requires his teammates to create offense/shot opportunities for him.

RU needs a more complete arsenal of guards, beyond Spencer and Mulcahy, who simply don't create their own shots, off the dribble or can jump shoot unless it's a catch and shoot scenario.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT