ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Williams

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Obviously deserves his own thread tonight

Remember when he was brought in Pike said he was looking for a starting guard. Well he found one

What does Williams bring?

Bball IQ
Ability to drive strong and finish
Toughness
Size
Ability to guard stronger guards
Rebounding

What a freaking game today

Finally having competent guard play could be the key to salvaging this season.

Reactions: Scangg
He brings experience and he has been a productive college player albeit at a low major in Hartford. Give him credit for battling through injuries and staying ready when his name was called off the bench.

Remember when he was brought in Pike said he was looking for a starting guard. Well he found one

Bball IQ
Toughness
Size
Rebounding

he plays within himself and doesn’t take shots he’s not likely to make. he may not have taken any jumpers at all.

Total opposite of Simpson and Davis who hoist jumpers and miss most of them. Don’t be fooled by Simpson’s game winner against Stonehill or the bank before halftime today. He’s a poor shooter, same as Davis.

He showed flashes in the Illinois game and brought us back in that one. Then coach didn’t start him the second half and that ended poorly. Not sure what happened the following weeks, but I remember him getting dinged up and then couldn’t find a consistent role. I felt like he had the shortest leash of all the guards early in the season. Happy he played well

I am happy we got the W and for the entire team and staff. This was one game we really needed. We would have a difficult time digging out of a 0-4 start in the BIG. We must defend our home court and steal one or two on the road. Where are the negative nellies who said we might not win a BIG TEN game all season or only a few. We outrebounded our third consecutive Big Ten team after Ohio State & Iowa. At least we are doing better in that area and our defense was very good tonight. Thanks to all of our fans who weathered it through nasty weather and to support our guys. I am so glad I attended as I always do!!!!

I’ll be honest I was low on AW entering the season and after seeing his first couple games. Wasn’t convinced he was athletic enough for this level

He’s completely proved me wrong since the OSU game. It’s clear he brings a strength and toughness from the guard spot that this team so badly needs. Not to mention he actually plays under control and within the flow of the offense. Has to start until proven otherwise

He hasn't been 100% either. Kid is a warrior...fighting through pain this season. His last few games have been good...and tonight he was especially fun to watch.

I was very glad to see the crowd really recognize him in the second half when he came out of the game at one point. Standing ovation...and well deserved.

Bball IQ
Toughness
Size
Rebounding

This is the player I thought we were getting when we signed him

Maybe he is finally 100%…and if so, he solidifies us in many ways

Great games by Williams and JMike, both of who had 10/6 and played tough, physical defense, although we'll always see Simpson on the floor at the end of games we're ahead in, for his FT shooting.

Lots of other great contributions by many players...except Gavin, who is really struggling and just looks so tentative. Makes me wonder if he's just struggling to adjust to being away from home - it's tough enough on most kids who aren't expected to be star players.

Reactions: BillyC80
The guard version! Pretty nice comp
Aaah I don’t think so. Yebaoh was one of the most impactful transfers to ever join RU. Real nice stroke from the outside. Could dribble, drive, rebound and pass. Level headed. Always cool under pressure. Great team mate. I could go and on. It was a shame he didn’t play in the NCAA during COVID year and that he was not a four year player at RU after following Pike from Stony Brook.

As others have posted, Williams is playing mature winning basketball.

GO RU

Aaah I don’t think so. Yebaoh was one of the most impactful transfers to ever join RU. Real nice stroke from the outside. Could dribble, drive, rebound and pass. Level headed. Always cool under pressure. Great team mate. I could go and on. It was a shame he didn’t play in the NCAA during COVID year and that he was not a four year player at RU after following Pike from Stony Brook.

As others have posted, Williams is playing mature winning basketball.

GO RU
Besides the sweet stroke, Williams can do the rest. They have similar games for sure. You don't see it?

Being compared to a player doesn't mean you are as good as the player you're being compared to

Besides the sweet stroke, Williams can do the rest. They have similar games for sure. You don't see it?

Being compared to a player doesn't mean you are as good as the player you're being compared to”
“Could dribble, drive, rebound and pass. Level headed. Cool under pressure. Great team mate.”

So… Austin Williams LOL

Funnily, KenPom has a “similar to” section for each player, and one of the players listed for Aundre Hyatt is Akwasi Yeboah in 19-20

Yeboah was a front court player with a good 3 point shot.
They have similar playing styles im not saying the exact same player. We run a 4 out 1 in offense. It’s all interchangeable. Yeboah was a little bigger than williams but for the reasons listed above, they have similar games

They have similar playing styles im not saying the exact same player. We run a 4 out 1 in offense. It’s all interchangeable. Yeboah was a little bigger than williams but for the reasons listed above, they have similar games
Also, “Holla at Yeboah” has a better ring to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT