ADVERTISEMENT

B1G 10 Basketball. - not looking good to date

Just put it on and I’m shocked to see Bohanon can’t beat anyone off the dribble pushes off with his off hand then leans in begging for a foul

That St. Mary's team that beat Wisconsin? They're down at the half to Winthrop.

DePaul looks like they’ll be a tough matchup for many teams.

I follow DePaul pretty closely; they’ve been getting a little better each year under Leitao.

They’ve added a few nice transfers, developed some under-recruited guys into solid players, and added a stud freshman in Weems.

Could be a tourney squad

Reactions: BillyC80 and toby83
Wisconsin's "not bad" loss to St. Mary's looks worse now. Winthrop beat SMC on the Gaels' home floor last night.

I follow DePaul pretty closely; they’ve been getting a little better each year under Leitao.

They’ve added a few nice transfers, developed some under-recruited guys into solid players, and added a stud freshman in Weems.

Could be a tourney squad
Since they're picked to finish last in the BE, that's saying a lot.

Minnesota was a four point dog and lost by nine, not really a WTF game. They'll underperform worse than that in a non conference game almost assuredly.

MSU/Kentucky was a coin flip. Purdue is still figuring themselves out.

Again, taken individually they are digestible. But if the conference on the whole is only winning 40% of games they should be winning 50% of, that's an issue.
Being an underdog means you shouldn’t win the game. To say they should be winning 50% of games as underdogs is somewhat unrealistic. I would think a better barometer would be is how did they compete in the losses.

Pre-season picks mean zilch. Iowa is probably the 12th team in the B1G. Depaul is gonna be better without strus. Ball often got stuck with him and he ruined any flow they had, granted he was a great individual player, just doesnt fit into the mold of what basketball is today. I’m surprised they looked so good last night though so early on without strus and cain. Their team is very athletic and should be a mid-tier big east team. Depaul swept SHU last year, I see it happening again, just too athletic for SHU.

I hope our two 2020 commits appreciate our fans ability to recognize and stereotype the skills of the Iowa players based on the color of their skin.

Reactions: shields and MadRU
Pre-season picks mean zilch. Iowa is probably the 12th team in the B1G. Depaul is gonna be better without strus. Ball often got stuck with him and he ruined any flow they had, granted he was a great individual player, just doesnt fit into the mold of what basketball is today. I’m surprised they looked so good last night though so early on without strus and cain. Their team is very athletic and should be a mid-tier big east team. Depaul swept SHU last year, I see it happening again, just too athletic for SHU.

Being an underdog means you shouldn’t win the game. To say they should be winning 50% of games as underdogs is somewhat unrealistic. I would think a better barometer would be is how did they compete in the losses.

Minnesota was an underdog, but Purdue was a favorite. Wisconsin was a slight underdog, but Michigan State was a slight favorite.

That's what I was getting at. The Big Ten "should have" won 50% of those. They went 0-4.

Reactions: bac2therac
I said this a while ago and people got on me for trying to “put the basketball program and Pikiell down”.

That has nothing to do with it. In fact, the big ten being down is a GREAT THING for Rutgers Basketball and we are poised to take advantage.

We can use all the help we can get when trying to climb the conference ladder. Potential and promise is great but if we can throw a 7th place finish in conference that is something TANGIBLE Pikiell can point to to give our sluggish (though not backbreaking) recruiting a jump start and get this program moving up up and up.

Post season or not, weak conference or not, you finish 7th and that will carry weight. The casual fan will see this only a one “down year” in the conference (although I think the trend is poised to continue).

Pike can coach and with bad competition he will get more Ws. Hopefully those Ws and the practice facility lead to more Stars in the recruiting rankings.

Reactions: zebnatto
Wisconsin's "not bad" loss to St. Mary's looks worse now. Winthrop beat SMC on the Gaels' home floor last night.

St Mary's is 12th in the AP poll....is Winthrop a program that's never made the NCAA tournament before???

The lack of knowledge of basketball or college basketball beyond the tri state area is alarming. I know we ( or RU) hasn't been in any recent postseason discussions in a long time, but it appears no other Power 5 basketball program has D1 players and no one owns cable TV or a satellite and watches games or can even name other conferences.

Going to be a very long season on the boards with newbies reading computer graphs.

Iowa is not an annual NCAA tournament team....since 2000 they have made the dance 7 times or essentially 1 out of every 3 seasons.

DePaul shot lights out but Iowa has made the NCAAS in 2014, 2015, 2016 and again in 2019. In recent years, they've been trending up.

Indiana has not been in since 2016, but made it in 2012 & 13 and 2015 & 16.

Wisconsin has made the tournament 18 or 19 years in row from 1999 to 2017, missed in 2018 and back in 2019.

And I'm fairly confident that MSU, Purdue, Ohio State and Maryland are locks....is Michigan a dance team?? Is Illinois....Penn State....Rutgers??

I'm sorry but there are too many B1G quality programs in this season. It's a league that may not be 1st like last year....but this narrative that teams dont rotate in and out of the NCAAS, is silly.

Senior starters last year:
Ethan Happ
Juwan Morgan
Jordan Murphy
James Palmer
Glynn Watson
Vic Law
Dererk Pardon
Josh Reaves
Ryan Cline
Grady Eifert
Aaron Jordan
Tanner Borchardt
Shaq Doorson
CJ Jackson
Keyshawn Woods
Dupree McBrayer
Khalil Iverson
Charles Matthews
Matt McQuaid
Kenny Goins

Senior starters this year:
Cassius Winston
Anthony Cowan
Zavier Simpson
Jon Teske
Lamar Stevens
Andres Feliz
Jahaad Proctor
Andre Wesson
Curtis Jones
Jordan Bohannon (with a bum hip)
Alihan Demir
Pat Spencer
Haanif Cheatham

Look at the difference. In 2019, all those seniors were program guys except for Keyshawn Woods. Everyone else had been in the program for 2, 3, 4 years and was Big Ten tested.

Then look at how grad transfers there are in this year's crop, which is weaker overall anyway: Proctor, Jones, Demir, Spencer, and Cheatham.

2018-19 had 19 "program guys" as senior starters. 2019-20 has 8. That's a very meaningful difference that's showing up early in the year.

Reactions: rutger80
2018 to 2019 major underclassmen defections (would have been starters if they came back):
Miles Bridges
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mo Wagner
Keita Bates-Diop
Tony Carr
Kevin Huerter
Justin Jackson
Leron Black
Michael Finke
Corey Sanders

2019 to 2020 major underclassmen defections (would have been starters if they came back):
Nick Ward
Carsen Edwards
Iggy Brazdeikis
Jordan Poole
Bruno Fernando
Tyler Cook
Isaiah Moss
Amir Coffey
Romeo Langford
Rasir Bolton
Eugene Omoruyi
Isaiah Roby

So that's three more impact undergrads that left the Big Ten this past off-season than the one before it. Another big indicator.

I said this a while ago and people got on me for trying to “put the basketball program and Pikiell down”.

That has nothing to do with it. In fact, the big ten being down is a GREAT THING for Rutgers Basketball and we are poised to take advantage.

We can use all the help we can get when trying to climb the conference ladder. Potential and promise is great but if we can throw a 7th place finish in conference that is something TANGIBLE Pikiell can point to to give our sluggish (though not backbreaking) recruiting a jump start and get this program moving up up and up.

Post season or not, weak conference or not, you finish 7th and that will carry weight. The casual fan will see this only a one “down year” in the conference (although I think the trend is poised to continue).

Pike can coach and with bad competition he will get more Ws. Hopefully those Ws and the practice facility lead to more Stars in the recruiting rankings.

Viewing thing from a long term perspective I totally agree with you. Nice way of looking at it....Short term if we happen to go 9-2 11-9 1-1 and get 21 wins we are a 5 seed in the NIT

Likely that prognosticators saw a .500 team losing its top two scorers, and figured they’d take a big step back.

In reality, the real strength of the team last year was the interior — which returns two really talented players, Reed and Butz, and they appear a lot deeper this year on the perimeter.

Interesting to see if Minnesota can hang at Butler tonight. Line is Butler -8. Butler best scoring threat is banged up, did not play much last game. They are not supposed to be anything special this year.

I see Creighton beating Mish and Butler beating Minny tonight
You were half right.

Ohio State crushes Villanova. Purdue handling Marquette and Northwestern up solidly over Providence at the half. If those two results hold, the conference will be sitting at 4-2 in the Gavitt Games.

Purdue is playing at Marquette, and the Ohio State game was over early regardless of home or away.
Scarlet jinx in effect. Looks like Purdue is going down, largely from a miserable effort at the FT line (6-17 at one point). Northwestern trying to hang on up 5 with just over a minute to play.

Northwestern finishes off Providence, 72-63. Purdue falls at Marquette and going 9-21 from the FT line had a lot to do with it. Props to Marquette, too, for playing much better in the 2nd half. Gavitt is now tied 3-3.

Even in a down year, Big 10 equal to the overrated Big East. Nova is the class of that conference and got totally embarrassed in Columbus tonight. And Northwestern, who lost to a D2 school by 10 was still able to beat Providence, who everyone has as a tournament team and picked 4th in the Big East by the media.

It's still very early but Villanova is young and was on the road against a coach familiar with what they want to do.

The ultimate 3 pointer that is Northwestern beating Providence as an 8 point underdog is enough evidence to not make rash judgments about a league early. Iowa got blitzed by a hot shooting DePaul and that can be explained a little bit.

The Northwestern win over Providence probably was the biggest overreaction to this whole debate. I think as resumes get built in March, a lot of teams are going to have wins that don't look impressive or 2 to 3 bad losses.

I still think Providence is a bubble team, but you cant have people saying the B1G is getting 4 or 5 teams and have the potential 5th or 6th team in the Big East, lose head to head to what still may be the last place team in the B1G.

Penn State at Georgetown and Michigan State at Seton Hall. Powell is ultimately going to try and play and should...PSU and GTown offers probably the matchup that I have the least amount of feel for how it will play out.

Senior starters last year:
Ethan Happ
Juwan Morgan
Jordan Murphy
James Palmer
Glynn Watson
Vic Law
Dererk Pardon
Josh Reaves
Ryan Cline
Grady Eifert
Aaron Jordan
Tanner Borchardt
Shaq Doorson
CJ Jackson
Keyshawn Woods
Dupree McBrayer
Khalil Iverson
Charles Matthews
Matt McQuaid
Kenny Goins

Senior starters this year:
Cassius Winston
Anthony Cowan
Zavier Simpson
Jon Teske
Lamar Stevens
Andres Feliz
Jahaad Proctor
Andre Wesson
Curtis Jones
Jordan Bohannon (with a bum hip)
Alihan Demir
Pat Spencer
Haanif Cheatham

Look at the difference. In 2019, all those seniors were program guys except for Keyshawn Woods. Everyone else had been in the program for 2, 3, 4 years and was Big Ten tested.

Then look at how grad transfers there are in this year's crop, which is weaker overall anyway: Proctor, Jones, Demir, Spencer, and Cheatham.

2018-19 had 19 "program guys" as senior starters. 2019-20 has 8. That's a very meaningful difference that's showing up early in the year.
Absolutely and what I had previously discussed in the off season that the Big 10 loss a ton of First, Second, and Third team all conference players. This gives us the perfect opportunity to move up. Our sophomores and Geo have to step up a step or two.

Watching PSU vs georgetown. PSU is very good and super athletic. Top 4 team in B1G this year imo

This PSU game is sloppyyyyyy. 25 total turnovers combined and first half isnt even over

That’s one tough team and a very nice road win for the league. It also guarantees the B1G at least a split in the Gavitt games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT