ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Bowl Matchups

Northwestern has a huge alumni presence in NYC. It's "alumni events" have excellent attendance. It also has a huge presence in the NYC private school population. Uncertain whether the alumni support the football team in a lesser bowl, but they certainly have a big presence in NYC.

Hit the nail on the head.

The consolation prize is pretty good--Alamo Bowl against Oklahoma State. This should be a good game.

Interesting fact:
"The game matches ranked teams, with Colorado landing at No. 10 in the final College Football Playoff rankings and Oklahoma State coming in at No. 12. It’s the first bowl berth for the Buffs since a 34-20 loss to Alabama in the Independence Bowl in 2007."

Remember, CU was pretty bad before MacIntyre took over. They were picked to finish last in the PAC12 South this year.

very surprised that Maryland wasnt sentenced to this game

Think playing you guys there next year might have something to do with that personally.

Just happy to have a winnable game based on where we are as a program right now. Pitt in Pinstripe would most likely be a loss.

They also beat Clemson which im sure you know

I knew and had forgotten but it only enhances the point. Their resume and they get a 6/6 team in the pinstripe. Odd. I know the bowl people are trying to get a team that will travel but 8/4teams shouldn't be assigned a tier 3 bowl. Imagine if we went 8/4 this year with a win over Washington who won the PAC 12 and we were sent to the pinstripe to play BC. This board would be on fire.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Northwestern has a huge alumni presence in NYC. It's "alumni events" have excellent attendance. It also has a huge presence in the NYC private school population. Uncertain whether the alumni support the football team in a lesser bowl, but they certainly have a big presence in NYC.

It has a nice presence, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "huge."

I knew and had forgotten but it only enhances the point. Their resume and they get a 6/6 team in the pinstripe. Odd. I know the bowl people are trying to get a team that will travel but 8/4teams shouldn't be assigned a tier 3 bowl. Imagine if we went 8/4 this year with a win over Washington who won the PAC 12 and we were sent to the pinstripe to play BC. This board would be on fire.

The Pinstripe Bowl is actually a Tier #1 Bowl.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Pretty sure it's Tier 2. At least for The B1G.

No

It is a Tier #1 Bowl for the ACC.

The Per Team payout is $2.0 million.

You can google it to see for yourself or you can believe me.

I am correct.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, but they're Northwestern alums. The alumni office is planning a seminar on how to make latte out of quinoa that day, so that will hurt attendance at the game.

Pretty sure it's Tier 2. At least for The B1G.

No

I am correct.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

At least according to this site it is called a first tier bowl for the ACC.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2015/2015-2016-college-football-bowl-conference-tie-ins

It is 6 in the pecking order for the B1G. I'm not sure there is a tier.

Hit the nail on the head.

USC also beat Colorado head to head. On Friday night Colorado looked like the team that finished near the bottom of the Pac-12 in recent seasons. One of the smallest, slowest top-10 teams I've watched in a while. Very happy to see USC in Pasadena because I don't think Colorado could have given PSU a game.

They travel awful. Nobody wants them. ACC probably figures they have a decent # of alumni in the NYC area.

Actually, the Pinstripe Bowl picked Pitt because of their travel to the Military Bowl last year.

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette today had an article just on this subject (Panthers pleased with the look and fit of Pinstripe Bowl by Brian Batko).

"The fan base traveled well a year ago to Annapolis, Md., for the tier two Military Bowl, which amounted to a road game to the nationally ranked Navy. Pitt sold out its initial ticket allotment last year and twice had to request more."

"The Pinstripe has told us that they were so impressed with the outcome of our travel last year that they had their eyes on us from the start, from kickoff, this year because of that, AD Barnes said".

During the Old Big East Basketball Basketball Tournament in New York, Pitt always represented well.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
My thoughts on the 10 bowls:
  • Fiesta - Ohio St vs Clemson (Ohio St should win)
  • Rose - PSU vs USC (should be a close game. PSU could have a let down after being up for the Championship game)
  • Orange - Michigan vs Fl St (Michigan may have a chip on their shoulder and play big)
  • Cotton - Wisconsin vs W Michigan (Wisconsin is better on paper but W Michigan is looking for respect)
  • Outback - Iowa vs Florida (Florida should have a huge crowd advantage and is the better team)
  • Holiday - Minnesota vs Washington St (should be a good game and hope Minny wins)
  • Music City - Nebraska vs Tennessee (Tennessee is the better team and is in their home state. Nebraska may have a tough time)
  • Pinstripe - Northwestern vs Pitt (Pitt should have a huge crowd advantage. Northwestern is probably not happy about being in a cold weather game in a city their fans may not travel to)
  • Foster Farms - Indiana vs Utah (While Utah should be favored and may have a crowd advantage, Indiana is tested and can score. Utah is the likely winner but it may be a high scoring affair)
  • Quick Lane - Maryland vs BC - (Will there even be 20,000 fans in attendance? I will go with Maryland in this game)
My prediction is the B10 will go 5-5 not including the Ohio St vs Alabama potential finale.

• Rose - PSU vs USC (should be a close game. PSU could have a let down after being up for the Championship game)
  • Orange - Michigan vs Fl St (Michigan may have a chip on their shoulder and play big)

Just curious why you'd think Michigan might have a chip on its shoulder, and Penn State wouldn't? FWIW, I don't think a letdown after the championship game is a real concern; the issue is whether this PSU team can keep its edge and carry the momentum from a nine-game winning streak to Pasadena following a four-week layoff.

Either way, the Rose Bowl is always fun - if/when Rutgers plays in one, every single one of you should do everything you can to go - and it'll be interesting to see two teams that could be ranked in the preseason top five go at it.

USC might be one of better teams in the nation right now since changing QB. Will be good game with PSU.

Poor Pitt and Northwestern. Nice reward!!

• Cotton - Wisconsin vs W Michigan (Wisconsin is better on paper but W Michigan is looking for respect)
  • Outback - Iowa vs Florida (Florida should have a huge crowd advantage and is the better team)
  • Holiday - Minnesota vs Washington St (should be a good game and hope Minny wins)
  • Music City - Nebraska vs Tennessee (Tennessee is the better team and is in their home state. Nebraska may have a tough time)
  • Pinstripe - Northwestern vs Pitt (Pitt should have a huge crowd advantage. Northwestern is probably not happy about being in a cold weather game in a city their fans may not travel to)
  • Foster Farms - Indiana vs Utah (While Utah should be favored and may have a crowd advantage, Indiana is tested and can score. Utah is the likely winner but it may be a high scoring affair)
  • Quick Lane - Maryland vs BC - (Will there even be 20,000 fans in attendance? I will go with Maryland in this game)
My prediction is the B10 will go 5-5 not including the Ohio St vs Alabama potential finale.

I don't think it's possible to have a let down when preparing for USC in the Rose Bowl. That's bucket list stuff for a college football player.

The PSU coaches will have to get the players up for a tough USC team playing in their home city. USC surpassed Colorado for the choice. USC will be on a normal game schedule similar to what Rutgers has done for the Pinstripe bowl.

PSU was looking toward the playoff after beating Ohio St and Wisconsin. While the Rose bowl is probably the 3rd or 4th highest bowl this year, Ohio St is in the top 2 bowls. I see PSU as an immature team that has overachieved while USC has underachieved a bit.

Michigan I think is mad because they let their opportunity slip away against Ohio St. I think they will have something to prove the way they came into Piscataway and put up 70+ on us.

Actually, the Pinstripe Bowl picked Pitt because of their travel to the Military Bowl last year.

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette today had an article just on this subject (Panthers pleased with the look and fit of Pinstripe Bowl by Brian Batko).

"The fan base traveled well a year ago to Annapolis, Md., for the tier two Military Bowl, which amounted to a road game to the nationally ranked Navy. Pitt sold out its initial ticket allotment last year and twice had to request more."

"The Pinstripe has told us that they were so impressed with the outcome of our travel last year that they had their eyes on us from the start, from kickoff, this year because of that, AD Barnes said".

During the Old Big East Basketball Basketball Tournament in New York, Pitt always represented well.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I liked the Pinstripe bowl when Rutgers went and beat Iowa State.

Screw it, don't give 2 shats for this year or next what the 'perceived' strength of the B1G.
Want PSU, Michigan to lose and lose bad.
Hell, since BC is not going to really steal many recruits that don't already have them as their backup plan to ND, I actually want them to beat Maryland since we battle more for good recruits with them.

The PSU coaches will have to get the players up for a tough USC team playing in their home city. USC surpassed Colorado for the choice. USC will be on a normal game schedule similar to what Rutgers has done for the Pinstripe bowl.

PSU was looking toward the playoff after beating Ohio St and Wisconsin. While the Rose bowl is probably the 3rd or 4th highest bowl this year, Ohio St is in the top 2 bowls. I see PSU as an immature team that has overachieved while USC has underachieved a bit.

Michigan I think is mad because they let their opportunity slip away against Ohio St. I think they will have something to prove the way they came into Piscataway and put up 70+ on us.

After following this PSU team and coaching staff very closely, I don't think it will be tough to get these kids up for a big game, in a Rose Bowl nonetheless, against USC. The Rose Bowl is always the biggest bowl outside of the playoffs. This year it's also the only game outside of the playoffs to feature two top-10 teams.

Pitt fans must be going crazy. They go 8/4 with a victory over the BIG champion and they get sent to the pinstripe to play a 6/6team. It is almost a punishment. For them it is a lose lose situation. Northwestern may not travel well although NYC at Christmas time could be a draw but the Pitt fans may stay away in protest. Attendance, as many have pointed out could be a problem.
Agree. I have always felt the Quick Lane bowl was also a punishment rather than a reward. Now if the B1G could get in on that Bahamas Bowl...

I don't quite buy the idea that Michigan will play "angry" and with a "chip on its shoulder." The Wolverines didn't get snubbed, nothing got taken from them. They're not in the playoffs because of their own doing: losing two of their last three, including to an unranked Iowa, and struggling to beat Indiana.

Michigan might very well blow out Florida State, but if that happens I tend to believe it's because Michigan's a pretty damn good football team that will be coached up heading into that game, not because it choked away a playoff spot and wants to avenge the bad football it played for most of November.

Last edited:
No

I am correct.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

...great. It's not a Tier 1 B1G bowl, however, which is all I care about lol! Thanks for the 411 however!

Thoughts:

- Music City Bowl will not be too much of a HFA for Tennessee. This is Nebraska we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised to see half the stadium in red.

- Pinstripe will be closer in fan support than you think. Maybe 60-40 Pitt at best.

- Iowa will have a ton of fans in Tampa. Yes, Florida will have more, but this won't be as one-sided as you may think.

- Michigan, you're right, they're going to play with something to prove AND this Harbaugh, being Harbaugh, will pull out EVERY stop.

- teams "looking for respect" hardly ever win and often times get blown out. Don't think that happens here, however, they're IN the Cotton Bowl. Respect has already been earned. Just play the way you've played all year long.

Certainly you must hold a degree in sports psychology to have such unique insight into the minds of 18 - 22 year olds, right? Thank you Sigmund. [eyeroll]

Agree. I have always felt the Quick Lane bowl was also a punishment rather than a reward. Now if the B1G could get in on that Bahamas Bowl...

At least Quick Lane was in a football stadium and still had a collegiate feel.

That has got to be the worst P5 6-6 team I've ever seen maybe only rivaled by Wake Forest. Their strength of schedule must be in the 120's. Wins UMass/ 2-10, Wagner/ they suck, Buffalo/ 2-10, NC State/ 6-6, UConn/ 3-9, Wake Forest/ 6-6. And I thought Maryland scheduled lightly. Wow.
Even with that weak schedule I was shocked anyone would want them in a bowl... Even in Boston!?!....The only good thing is they'll get another backbreaking loss....

I think the Detroit bowl initially was MAC vs Big Ten. It has been re-branded with the ACC vs Big Ten now.

The problem is it is too low down the list for the local B10 teams to qualify (Michigan, Mich St, Ohio St). The closest schools are Indiana (5.5 hours driving), Purdue (4.5 hours driving), and Northwestern (4.5-5 hours driving).

The MAC schools traveled better to this game.

The Big 10 teams really don't look forward to it since the location is a cold weather city that not many people want to visit. Pinstripe is in NYC at least where people want to visit. The International bowl was in Toronto which is a fun city to visit. Indianapolis is a better city to visit then Detroit. Of course Detroit needs the tourist dollars more and I think tourism was initially why many bowls were started.

Screw it, don't give 2 shats for this year or next what the 'perceived' strength of the B1G.
Want PSU, Michigan to lose and lose bad.
Hell, since BC is not going to really steal many recruits that don't already have them as their backup plan to ND, I actually want them to beat Maryland since we battle more for good recruits with them.

Unsurprising that this gentleman gets it. As for some others - we're not in the Big East anymore, guys. We don't need to scrap and claw for respect by rooting for our enemies to prop up the conference.. I hope USC and F$U take a smash on State Penn and ScUM.

How anyone who calls himself an RU fan can root for those two is beyond me.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Even with that weak schedule I was shocked anyone would want them in a bowl... Even in Boston!?!....The only good thing is they'll get another backbreaking loss....

Don't forget there are now 40 Bowls
Thoughts:

- Music City Bowl will not be too much of a HFA for Tennessee. This is Nebraska we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised to see half the stadium in red.

- Pinstripe will be closer in fan support than you think. Maybe 60-40 Pitt at best.

- Iowa will have a ton of fans in Tampa. Yes, Florida will have more, but this won't be as one-sided as you may think.

- Michigan, you're right, they're going to play with something to prove AND this Harbaugh, being Harbaugh, will pull out EVERY stop.

- teams "looking for respect" hardly ever win and often times get blown out. Don't think that happens here, however, they're IN the Cotton Bowl. Respect has already been earned. Just play the way you've played all year long.

Nuts

I think you may be correct on the Pitt fan support.

The Pinstripe Bowl allotted Pitt 7000 tickets for sell.

Within the 1st day Pitt fans have already purchased 3500 tickets for the Bowl.
I think Pitt will sell out its required allottment (maybe more) so we will see.

The Pinstripe Bowl is not really a bad Bowl because it is located in New York City (the media capital of the world). Lots of events featuring both schools including ringing final bell on Wall Street. Great publicity in the North East.

Even though many Rutgers fans probably don't like it, the Pinstripe Bowl will always be a target for Rutgers due to proximity to New York City (same reason B1G used for selection).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Don't forget there are now 40 Bowls

Nuts

I think you will be correct on the Pitt fan support.

The Pinstripe Bowl allotted Pitt 7000 tickets for sell.

Within the 1st day Pitt fans have already purchased 3500 tickets for the Bowl so we will see.

The Pinstripe Bowl is not really a bad Bowl because it is located in New York City (the media capital of the world). Lots of events featuring both schools including ringing final bell on Wall Street. Great publicity in the North East.

Even though many Rutgers fans probably don't like it, the Pinstripe Bowl will always be a target for Rutgers due to proximity to New York (same reason B1G used for selection).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Your a funny guy Panthergrowl and I respect your friendly loyalty to your team,..

Your a funny guy Panthergrowl and I respect your friendly loyalty to your team,..

Thanks Nicky

You have a good Board and I see the same passion from many Rutgers fans on the board..
I particularly like the engagement Rutgers fans have with the visiting fans from Penn State.
Range of topics for discussion is always interesting including current topic of Rhule leaving Temple.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: NickyNewark51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT