ADVERTISEMENT

Barchi's report to university senate

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
This document is lengthy, and I only skimmed parts, but I think you will find it interesting. He stresses the honors colleges as ways of attracting the best high school graduates.

Barchi report

Camden, thanks for the article. Barchi also mentioned the World Rankings in which Rutgers was ranked 33rd in the world, 24th in the US and the 10th ranked public university.

Another important area he brought up with regards to rankings especially in the US News rankings is alumni giving. He proudly stated that alumni giving was way up and is at its highest ever, which should begin to help us in the rankings.

In addition to the honors college, he also brought up what he was able to accomplish over the last two years, especially the merger when many naysayers said it couldn't be done. In addition to that, he mentioned all of the building taking place as well as what the future holds on College Ave. (which is a good thing) as well as what is going on, on the Camden and Newark campuses, which included honors colleges there as well.

I was hoping he would have brought up making admissions standards to New Brunswick even more competitive and I was hoping he would have reiterated his commitment to bringing in more OOS applicants. I think this is or should be part of the overall plan to raise our status.

And finally, in his report, he looks to the future. I think with the 250th anniversary of Rutgers just around the corner (in two years) Barchi is working swiftly to make significant changes both physically and aesthetically in the form of new buildings and academically with higher achieving students staying in NJ and attending the new honors college.

I also was a little surprised that he didn't mention the desirability of tightening admissions standards. He may have felt that the topic was politically sensitive, especially in front of a body that leans far to the left. (I know: I've served in the Senate.)

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
I also was a little surprised that he didn't mention the desirability of tightening admissions standards. He may have felt that the topic was politically sensitive, especially in front of a body that leans far to the left. (I know: I've served in the Senate.)
At least he mentioned it previously in that report just regarding Rutgers-New Brunswick.

The thing is - tightening standards is a result of other things, at least assuming we cant reduce the student population in any significant way. It shouldnt be a goal per se - it should be the end result of doing things that make the university a better place to learn, do research, live, etc.

Originally posted by derleider:

The thing is - tightening standards is a result of other things, at least assuming we cant reduce the student population in any significant way. It shouldnt be a goal per se - it should be the end result of doing things that make the university a better place to learn, do research, live, etc.
Yes, applications from the top of the high school class have to increase, and so does the take rate of those high schoolers. And all that depends on making Rutgers a more desirable place. Build it and they will come.

Yes, applications from the top of the high school class have to increase, and so does the take rate of those high schoolers. And all that depends on making Rutgers a more desirable place. Build it and they will come.
But isn't perception of desirability also a factor. If Rutgers just stopped accepting the bottom 10% of those now accepted, it would make the school appear more selective and increase desirability to top students.

Originally posted by Upstream:

But isn't perception of desirability also a factor. If Rutgers just stopped accepting the bottom 10% of those now accepted, it would make the school appear more selective and increase desirability to top students.
No - not particularly.

I think you overstate the effect of selectivity on someones decision. I mean it matters to some extent - but if you like RU are you really not going to pick it because instead of 10 kids getting in from your high school, only 9 do? I don't even think its the exact numbers - its more like the general feelings which would take years to overcome.

In the meantime RU would be taking a huge financial hit - 10% of tuition and auxiliary (dorms, dining halls) is $90 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT