ADVERTISEMENT

Barchi's response

Dpgru

All Conference
Jan 17, 2015
Apparently President Barchi has responded to Lesniak's emails. We now know for sure that there is no plan in place for upgrading facilities. Apparently, however, a plan is being planned. There was no information as to when the plans for the plan will be completed. It has been two years since the invitation to the BIGwas accepted. At that time it was common knowledge to both RU and the BIG that RU's facilities needed serious upgrades and yet there is still no plan in place. What have they been waiting for? You don't need the BIG money to make the plan. To implement it yes but not to make the plan. This is a disgrace.

We should plan on bringing in some consultants to formulate a plan to plan on making the plan. Jersey Strong.

The ole standby to standby, we are being told. It's a great way to treat a telemarketer.

We clearly aren't reinvesting in athletics until the B1G checks start rolling in. It has been said, directly. The department's stated goals:

1) Cut the subsidy down to $0
2) See number 1

Everything else is window dressing. People think I am nuts for saying they should suspend the hoops program until true and proper investment can be made. It sounds a helluva a lot better than getting our teeth kicked in every night, with zero chance of sustained success. Building from the ground up is a lot easier than tearing something a part and rebuilding it, especially after it has been left to rot for decades.

There is so much work to do with few funds to get it done. Imo, it is really time for drastic measures. The status quo is far worse than alums, fans, and the even the players deserve. It is better to no field teams, than to field teams that have no hope of being successful. That is just cruel.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

We clearly aren't reinvesting in athletics until the B1G checks start rolling in. It has been said, directly.
pretty much.

unless someone decides to donate millions to atheltics

Barchi says he is committed to Rutgers Men's basketball. We have heard this before along with the "we must lower the subsidy" speech. Words are not enough, we have had plenty of those for the last 20 years.

Prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show some leadership............Show some commitment

From what I understand we accepted a BIG membership so we could compete academically and athletically with the best.

Mr. Barchi, if you truly care about and want Rutgers Men's basketball to succeed and be something we can all be proud of, be leader.........work with JH, with donors, with state, with corporate sponsors with the BOG, and get Rutgers men's basketball a practice facility. Shout from the rooftop that Rutgers can compete athletically and can do it with a strong research and academic mission.

Plan it out, get some drawings, bring it to donors and sponsors, and put a plan together on how to finance it. Do it now, not 5 years from now.

These feasibility studies should have been done immediately following our invitation to the B1G so that we would be bettered positioned when our membership became effective. Tim P. had one for the RAC, so what is the President talking about in reference to conducting a new one.

Originally posted by JPhoboken:

From what I understand we accepted a BIG membership so we could compete academically and athletically with the best.

Not that I don't agree with your post, but our leadership has never said this. To them, competing in sports is not something where wining most matters.

Please, to the whiners and complainers that are asking about why there is in the plan, tell me, how much money did you contribute to the stadium expansion pond and to men's basketball? I think it's stupid how people expect money to drop from the sky. Put your money where your mouth is.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 3/2 9:22 PM by CornerTavern

CornerTavern

Just stop the nonsense. The school abandoned MBB decades ago. You expect fans to donate when the school hasn't been committed since the Bush 1 or Clinton administration? You know what would get fans to donate? Commitment, which means presenting a plan, taking out a loan & putting shovels in the ground.

And here's what I posted on premium about this respons:

Nonsense. The basketball practice facility can be built for $30M. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. The problem is that we want something much bigger than just a basketball facilty. In reality, we want a new football facility, new basketball facilty & to convert the Hale into offices for most other sports. We're apparently too stupid, cheap & poor & have this grandiose vision of a $60M-$80M project when we need to build the basketball practice facility 1st & take out loans yesterday.

You guys can continue to shovel BS that it would cost more than $30M to build a basketball practice facility but it won't. The Nova spent $18.5M on a 55,000 sq ft practice facility in 2007. VCU's 60,000 sq ft & Houston's 53,000 sq ft practice facilities are estimated to cost $25M. Add 20% & it's ours for $30M. Nebraska spent $18.7M on an 84,000 sq ft basketball & wrestling facility in 2011, which has a weight room for others & is 1 of the nicest I've seen. UCLA is estimating spending $30M-$40M on theirs. Stop the lies. Take out the loan & get the shovels in the ground.

Rutgers does not belong in the Big 10....thats truth...I told you guys we would just cash the check...Barchi cannot leave soon enough but the wtetched BOG will still be there...only football will be supported at this school...kiss everything else goodbye

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Rutgers does not belong in the Big 10....thats truth...I told you guys we would just cash the check...Barchi cannot leave soon enough but the wtetched BOG will still be there...only football will be supported at this school...kiss everything else goodbye
give it a rest. Football wasnt always supported. That changed.

When the big ten money comes in basketball will change.

Barchi is the president of an academic institution not an nfl and nba team.

I cant blame his decisions when the money isnt there.

This is all just more of New Jersey eating it's own...

Don't you think that they would spend the money if they had it, we got freaking nailed to the wall for expanding the football stadium and then nothing materialized to fund it apart from bonding.

How can you freaking blame them?

Originally posted by jay_hq:

Barchi is the president of an academic institution not an nfl and nba team.

please spare me...football only blossomed because RU invested and borrowed...basketball has been neglected for 25 years and program wise is exactly where football was in 1999..kicking improvement 6-8 years down the line will wipe out the fanbsae

quite frankly there is no reason for people to buy season tix and support the program if the school has decided not to support it.

Getting the full Big Ten share helps but Rutgers will always be behind the curve. The top programs have serious donors who Rutgers won't be able to match. Catchup for the foreseeable future. Participant in most sports -- competitive in a few.

Just out of curiosity, how come WBB can be competitive, but the MBB struggles to get to 0.500 every season, yet both use the exact same facilities? You can argue all you want that Stringer is past her prime, but the WBB team remains competitive, if not a powerhouse. If other schools have better facilities and that's what you need to win, how come it's not a competitive disadvantage for Stringer?

pretty obvious...CVS is a HOF coach with 950 wins, third all time, they come for her not Rutgers...it would be equivalent to Coach K being here

pretty obvious...CVS is a HOF coach with 950 wins, third all time, they come for her not Rutgers...it would be equivalent to Coach K being here
So then it's not the lack of facilities that keeps MBB from succeeding. It's the string of downright crappy coaches.

Originally posted by RUSK97:

So then it's not the lack of facilities that keeps MBB from succeeding. It's the string of downright crappy coaches.
the faciliites are a HUGE issue...stop arguing and accepting it. It prevents a decent coach from coming here...its the perceived lack of investment in the program for 25 years...it is a huge perception problem among NJ coaches and players

the faciliites are a HUGE issue...stop arguing and accepting it. It prevents a decent coach from coming here...its the perceived lack of investment in the program for 25 years...it is a huge perception problem among NJ coaches and players
Not suggesting lack of investment in the facilities isn't an issue, but frankly I'd rather not be like Nebraska...spend a fortune that we don't have to upgrade facilities, then continue to field the same lackluster coaching staffs, whose ceiling is bare-bones mediocrity. I'd rather invest in the right coaching staff, which is how it got done in FB.

GS got facility upgrades and spending across the board so you would have to do that with basketball. No basketball coach of merit is coming here with no upgrades...coaches have turned us down specifically because of it

Bac, not arguing with you that it would be a challenge to hire an established successful coach given the current conditions, but how the hell'd we end up hiring Stringer? I know she wanted to get away from her past in Iowa, but it couldn't have been just John Chaney's good word that lured her here?!?

GS got facility upgrades and spending across the board so you would have to do that with basketball. No basketball coach of merit is coming here with no upgrades...coaches have turned us down specifically because of it
so youre saying the good football head coach arrived before the upgrades.

and then you go on to argue no good coach will come without upgrades.

nice!

our womens hoops program was solid when she came...top 25ish...CVS needed a change after her husband died, Lawrence was coming off the scandal about a comment he made about blacks, CVS was the right hire. This was 95...there was no arms race even in mens hoops and there certainly wasn't one in womens and even now in womens hoops there isn't except for the top programs.

our sports infrastructure across the board is MAAC level, we are in the Big 10 and are being laughed by other schools because the facilities are high school ish

Originally posted by jay_hq:

Barchi is the president of an academic institution not an nfl and nba team.[/B]

Nobody said Rutgers has to spend like Mich or Ohio State. We will never spend like them. But we are in the BIG.

The BIG was founded to "organize and develop principles for the regulation of intercollegiate athletics." (From BIG website)

The charter members set "academic goals" and a "steadfast commitment to athletics." (From the BIG website)

This is the organization we accepted membership into. Being a university that strives for being the best we can in academia, research, and athletics. You simply cannot expect to join a prestigious conference like the BIG without being prepared and be willing to make some investments. If this was not the case, we should not have accepted membership.

Since Mr. Barchi is our president, has a responsibility for our academic mission as well as our Athletic mission since he is the president of a BIG school. He needs to step up and be a leader. We all understand the challenges of getting a practice facility built. We get it. But ignoring it and cowering to state politicians is not leadership.

Leaders solve problems. Find a way President Barchi.

I think creativity is needed. When you're poor and you want to compete with the richies, you need to be creative. I don't buy into the spend on credit and worry about it later. Yes, we just joined the B1G and they may laugh at our facilities all they want. We may be in the conference, but we don't make conference money. And in six or whatever years, when we do make equal B1G money, we'll still be behind, because they've been making B1G money all along the way. We need to find a creative way to win on the field in spite of our facilities shortcomings. Winning has a way of making all those shortcomings go away.

Read the article by K. Sarge. All of what Barchi said is in line with common practices and thinking. Part of the issue is we entered into a billion dollar campaign before the Big Ten membership was even a thought and we just completed that campaign. As a result, the best donors were likely tapped for gifts to other areas and raising the money for such projects would be a challenge. Dismiss that all you want, but that's how things work.

Also, w/o the Big Ten money flowing in, nothing has really changed other than our schedule. Sucks, but we may simply have to wait things out.

We really did get lucky with that BIG10 invite.

It's clear this administration does not have what it takes to compete. We're basically going to stand on the sideline with our hand out for the next 10 years it seems.

Originally posted by PatrickRU92:
simple question that I have never seen the answer to---why can't we borrow the cash?
We're still paying for the last loan which was rather large. Debt service would become an issue.

Originally posted by RU_DIO:
Would the RAC need to be upgraded too or is the practice facility enough?
Practice facility most important right now...there are some stuff still yet to spiff up at the RAC in addition to what Julie has already done but we could get by with it for awhile until we work on a plan for either a new arena or significant upgrades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT