ADVERTISEMENT

Berger in the Portal, Mike Farrell's take

It is definitely a strange situation. I know high-profile recruits transfer all the time, but I don't recall a situation like this where it flamed out so quickly. That's why I'm not taking the initial reports about his "issues" at face value. Seems to be something else going on.

He had no off field issues under Greg.
Once he hit NFL that was another story.
Again, we lack talent versus the top of our confernece. Greg has proven to be a top judged of character. I'll leave it to Greg if Berger is worth it.
I remember Britt and Davis were suspended for a half or something but we don't know why. That was the extent of it.

He had no off field issues under Greg.
Once he hit NFL that was another story.
Again, we lack talent versus the top of our confernece. Greg has proven to be a top judged of character. I'll leave it to Greg if Berger is worth it.
He was absolutely suspended for a game under Schiano. And he had some issues while he was here.

But this is a situation where the person wasn’t just struggling, he was kicked off the team. Wasn’t suspended for a game or simply got a few bad grades.
I get struggling and adjustment. I don’t get being kicked off a team.
How do you know he wasnt struggling? I do know if he was or was not. But all of those things do not necessarily mean it was his ego. He needs to be vetted and interviewed to determine how he should be approached.

I guess it’s how you look at the situation.
With Michael Dare and Hayden Rettig being told by Meringer they should look for another team because you will never play here

Is that not a de facto dismissal. Or did the kids dismiss Rutgers from their life instead. But being gracious enough to relocate. But dismissal none the less
Or Najee Clayton asking Coach Ash what he needs to do better to reclaim his starting job
Chris was dismissive enough that the kid did not want to be here any longer
three kids doing nothing terribly wrong , and in a doghouse, emotionally have to pick up and leave

is there a difference???

Reactions: BossNJ
You can't judge college players behavior based on whether they were ever disciplined in college. By that standard Lawrence Phillips was a stand up guy at Nebraska, but turned bad when he went to the NFL.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Curious as your source for laziness . At Bosco no one worked harder than him.
And no one demands more from his players than coach Toal
I would hope that if he comes here, the positive influence of his former high school teammates spurs him to be a complete player, with the dedication that comes with it

And he's proven himself.
And it’s a tricky situation for Kyle too. He knows the high school Berger really well presumably, including all the bumps and warts. But he also understands Berger coming might mean a reduction in his reps.

How do you know he wasnt struggling? I do know if he was or was not. But all of those things do not necessarily mean it was his ego. He needs to be vetted and interviewed to determine how he should be approached.
I said he wasn’t JUST struggling.

If Berger comes to Rutgers it's the same as any other supposedly talented running back (HS or transfer) coming and the RBs on the roster must prove more worthy of[playing time or be dropped in the depth chart behind them.
If not, then it's up to them to stay or not.

And it’s a tricky situation for Kyle too. He knows the high school Berger really well presumably, including all the bumps and warts. But he also understands Berger coming might mean a reduction in his reps.
They didn’t at Bosco. Berger had his best year and Kyle put up very good numbers also.
Both were good passeeceivers , down field, about 25 catches each.
Berger split out, occasionally to wide receiver, ran misdirection,jet sweeps, screens Kyle took the pounding tackle to tackle part of the game
Ergo on the field together rather than one at the expense of the other
Jalen also came in on third and longs to play safety
I just don’t see them used in the same way. The one who should be threatened , next. Year is Young

anyway just an opinion

Reactions: RUSK97 and MADHAT1
Okay but…is this Teel spinning on behalf of a former player?
Mike seems like a straight shooter, but it sounded a lot like what @gef21 said. Sometimes when young people go away to college, they don't fit in the new environment. This can be for any student, but for a student-athlete, this gets compounded because they have classes to attend and study for and an expectation to perform on the field.
Maybe in a new environment he would perform differently. Maybe not. Greg and his staff will be able to make the best informed judgment. Not going to make any judgment because we all know that which is reported on blogs, the press, social media (especially) and word of mouth can be highly inaccurate or supporting one's side narrative. It seems that rarely what is reported is the whole truth without at least some caveats.

He was dismissed from the team for missing meetings, practices, etc. and not for "off field" reasons, according to reports. Sounds like behavioral issues. Not a team player. Pass. He'll go to Kentucky.
Me in
Yes we need talent. Let Greg determine if this is a guy he can control and if the risk is worth the reward. Greg has a good track record here.
You mean he can coach, he is a grown man he controls himself.

Curious as your source for laziness . At Bosco no one worked harder than him.
And no one demands more from his players than coach Toal
Well .. the it was a post in a thread on this board. That said he was kick off the team for not going to class, practice, training sessions. The 3 things that a student athlete is required to do. Kinda equals lazy in my eyes.

To answer your question @gef21
No I haven’t nor do I have interest in dealing with kids 17-20.
I do however own a company, that employees 86. So I do hear some things as to why a few need time off. So that pain is the same. 🤷‍♂️

They didn’t at Bosco. Berger had his best year and Kyle put up very good numbers also.
Both were good passeeceivers , down field, about 25 catches each.
Berger split out, occasionally to wide receiver, ran misdirection,jet sweeps, screens Kyle took the pounding tackle to tackle part of the game
Ergo on the field together rather than one at the expense of the other
Jalen also came in on third and longs to play safety
I just don’t see them used in the same way. The one who should be threatened , next. Year is Young

anyway just an opinion

Never saw him play in HS but the little I saw him at Wisconsin, he looked more like a WR then a RB to me.

My optimistic guess is that the wheels for entering the transfer portal have been in motion for a week or 2 and Wisconsin beat him to the punch line. Certainly not a good look, but probably not a deal breaker for Schiano. My totally uneducated thought: If Manangai approves, add Berger and give him the Ahmirr Mitchell tight leash treatment.

Don't know this kid or his situation, but guys can turn a corner and become great. Going from being "the best" on one level to being just a guy on a team full of "the best" at the next is a tough transition if you don't have the coping skills for it.

I've worked with kids from less than ideal life and family situations that don't possess those skills . Don't know that this is the case here. Just making a point.Many are good people in a bad spot. It doesn't excuse being an asshole, but it explains it. We have many success storys teaching life skills and helping guys excel. Unfortunately there are many you can't reach which sucks. More than one heartbreaking story. Never stop trying though. That's what I'm to say.
Greg will decide if he's a fit. If not just wish him success someplace else.

Reactions: Kbee3
I remember Britt and Davis were suspended for a half or something but we don't know why. That was the extent of it.
We don't? Did you miss the Cheech and Chong thread?

Bring him!! Bring anyone who can give a spark to this limp-d#$% offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT