ADVERTISEMENT

Best Realignment results from an RU perspective

San Fran market over Boston every day and twice on Sundays. BC doesn't compare to Stanford.
Not to mention Stanford is literally the best academic university in the world (sorry Harvard and Princeton), and Stanford mops the floor with BC in the Director's Cup. Only thing BC has over Stanford is ice hockey, and if the B1G want that so bad they'll just make BC an affiliate team there like Hopkins for lax.

Tradition and cohesion win the day in the South: UVA & VA TECH and UNC & NCSU are package deals. So SEC is the likely path. Duke is a Vandy, so it, too, goes SEC and preserves the Triangle rivalries. Clemson (U of S Carolina), FSU (U of FL), GA TECH (UGA) follow to unite their in-state rivals. Miami follows to the SEC.

I can see the ACC absorbing schools such as App State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Marshall....

Tradition and cohesion win the day in the South: UVA and VA TECH and UNC and NCSU are package deals. So SEC is the likely path. Duke is a Vandy, so it, too, goes SEC and preserves the Triangle rivalries. Clemson (U of S Carolina), FSU (U of FL), GA TECH (UGA) follow to unite their in-state rivals. Miami follows tthe SEC.

yes because “preserving” rivalries has ever been a driving force behind this elitist and giant money grab! 🤣🤣🤣

Not to mention Stanford is literally the best academic university in the world (sorry Harvard and Princeton), and Stanford mops the floor with BC in the Director's Cup. Only thing BC has over Stanford is ice hockey, and if the B1G want that so bad they'll just make BC an affiliate team there like Hopkins for lax.
I was holding those aces in the hole. 😊

Tradition and cohesion win the day in the South: UVA & VA TECH and UNC & NCSU are package deals. So SEC is the likely path. Duke is a Vandy, so it, too, goes SEC and preserves the Triangle rivalries. Clemson (U of S Carolina), FSU (U of FL), GA TECH (UGA) follow to unite their in-state rivals. Miami follows to the SEC.

I can see the ACC absorbing schools such as App State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Marshall....
$$$ wins the day

Unfortunately, tradition & cohesion mean little in the new age of college athletics

Good partner with ND, and could bring Boston market if done right (I know that didn’t happen with ACC).
I would be shocked if BC gets a big ten offer
They figure to be way way down the list of candidates
I would go as far as to say that they will be left behind during all the league changes , along with Cuse
The question becomes, how viable will the ACC be in 10 years

Reactions: Scarlet83
From a Rutgers perspective, I think the best-case scenario would be the ACC collapsing and Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse getting left behind. Besides the schools that recruit nationally, Rutgers would only have to compete with Penn State for northeast recruiting.
I can see that happening

As a Pitt fan I am sure you hope that is
avoidable

I do think that Pitt has the most marketability and the best chance of winding up ok

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
I can see that happening

As a Pitt fan I am sure you hope that is
avoidable

I do think that Pitt has the most marketability and the best chance of winding up ok
I think the best case-scenario for us is the ACC remains intact and adds Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington. That would be followed by us getting thrown a lifevest by the Big 12 if the ACC does get picked apart. We have a few things going for us (major market, AAU school, well-known football brand) but the problem is we don’t bring anything that the Big Ten or SEC don’t already have (or want).

Reactions: Ridge 22
B10 got ucla, usc, logistically Stanford makes the most sense, BC makes no sense at all, small catholic in Boston just does not fit in anyway, if you are going to go to the west coast 3 make more sense than 2.

Pac 12

UCLA
USC
Cal
Stanford
to Big 10

Arizona
AZ St
Utah
Colorado
Oregon
Washington
to Big 12

Oregon St
Washington St
to Mountain West

ACC

Clemson
FL St
to SEC

NC
ND
to Big 10
BC- Is that to give Syracuse a travel partner in the B1G?
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Reactions: phlop87
"From the Rutgers perspective"? Maybe the best outcome for Rutgers would be NO further expansion with more blueblood teams. Otherwise, Rutgers will face a gauntlet of Notre Dame, USC, UCLA plus the four heavyweights in the division right now most seasons. That would be SEVEN likely losses each season, to be realistic. Unless Schiano performs a recruiting miracle, and Rutgers' NIL program is an amazing success , or the schedule is more favorable, winning seasons will be next to impossible.

The expansion to more formidable teams does not bode well for Rutgers(or for Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota).

For those who yearn for Notre Dame or Clemson, be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Beach
That’s why ND and Stanford would be preferable, or even Stanford and Cal. Plus least one mor Ca. Team help scheduling and travel.

"From the Rutgers perspective"? Maybe the best outcome for Rutgers would be NO further expansion with more blueblood teams. Otherwise, Rutgers will face a gauntlet of Notre Dame, USC, UCLA plus the four heavyweights in the division right now most seasons. That would be SEVEN likely losses each season, to be realistic. Unless Schiano performs a recruiting miracle, and Rutgers' NIL program is an amazing success , or the schedule is more favorable, winning seasons will be next to impossible.

The expansion to more formidable teams does not bode well for Rutgers.

For those who yearn for Notre Dame or Clemson, be careful what you wish for.
I sort of disagree here. The league along with sec will set themselves apart from the rest of the d1 schools. All of these schools should be selecting the cream of the crop based on this. Why go to other sub leagues? We need to be spinning this to favor us over the rest of the schools

Not any more. Just ask Oklahoma State how that tradition and cohesion worked out for them. And that was before the panic set in that we have now. It's every school for itself. Period. Everything else is just nice to have if it happens to come along for the ride

Last edited:
Reactions: FlintTown
I think the best case-scenario for us is the ACC remains intact and adds Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington. That would be followed by us getting thrown a lifevest by the Big 12 if the ACC does get picked apart. We have a few things going for us (major market, AAU school, well-known football brand) but the problem is we don’t bring anything that the Big Ten or SEC don’t already have (or want).
All true. I feel bad for Pitt. Great profile school but adds nothing to the B1G that doesn't already exist. Hard to see it working out for Pitt and don't see a path to the big 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
The money that RU gets from blue blood expansion would be able to be used to hire a football coach with more "stain" if Schiano can't get us over the hump. Money increases mean more to us than they do to an OSU or Michigan because their budgets are already astronomical.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I hope Rutgers’ position in the league is strong and firm, but don’t lie and say you haven’t thought about Notre Dame, for example, joining the league and then simply taking our place. I know even mentioning this will probably get me booed within an inch of my life, but let’s not pretend like it couldn’t happen.
Rivalries no longer really matter, a conference formed in 1959 (the PAC) could very easily go the way of the dodo.
EVERYTHING is subject to change if 2010-2022 is any indication.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT