ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Record 9-60

What is the point of adding the Eddie Jordan years as if they have any relevance to where RU is today??

Every program has athletes and pieces that we are trying to catch up with...even the Iowa And Illinois programs are with more skilled pieces...as is Nebraska...we are closing the gap as much as possible.

If we are having a last place discussion in 2019 -2020, that one thing...that's a point in time where we catch up in depth and maturity.....I seriously doubt we will be having that discussion then.

What is the point of adding the Eddie Jordan years as if they have any relevance to where RU is today??

Every program has athletes and pieces that we are trying to catch up with...even the Iowa And Illinois programs are with more skilled pieces...as is Nebraska...we are closing the gap as much as possible.

If we are having a last place discussion in 2019 -2020, that one thing...that's a point in time where we catch up in depth and maturity.....I seriously doubt we will be having that discussion then.

Relax bud . Didn’t say the Jordan years were relevant or not. Just giving a stat. You want to play smoke and mirrors with it fine. But that’s what we have done in the BIG. You almost couldn’t try to be that bad.

And now they have 1. We could be back in last place by next Tuesday if we can’t scratch out at least one of the next 2.
I’m hard pressed to envision an RU win in Champaign next week.

we have two winnable road games but getting one is going to be difficult. Illinois is most likely licking their chops. I think one of these games we will have a close down to wire affair while I think one we will lay a big stinky egg and lose by double digits.

The rest of the Big Ten does not care who our coach is. They see "Rutgers" on the schedule and think "they suck."

Is it starting to change? I think so. But until our record -- both 2-7 AND 8-55 -- looks better, nobody will notice it changing. Just the way it is.

Dumb post

Why would a Rutgers fan who is rooting like hell for Pike to get this team better and better, and is trending up, post this stat?

But what else would anyone expect from you?

The record is the record . Why let facts get in the way of a good narrative?

Reactions: theaterman
8-55 is why no one goes to games except the diehards, and even Rutgers fans do no watch the games on BTN network. No chance of casual college fans going to games — little drama, dramatic comebacks rarely happen, no star power. And the dismal facilities are on a par with the results. What’s the opposite of big time?

Reactions: RU old timer
It's all about Pike now. No guarantee he will succeed but give our last 27 years can it get any worse?

By that logic why discuss a game that we know the result.

What is the point of a “Rutgers” fan dragging out our all time record in the B1G after every (or any) game?

I can see a fan of a rival school doing it, but why would a Rutgers fan?
To have a “discussion?”
A “discussion” about what?

Or are you just trying to dredge up more negativity?
You think that kind of woe is me, sad sack mentality helps in any way?

When fans / potential fans and recruits / potential recruits can read your crap?

Why didn’t you post the all time record of our men’s basketball program?
Is that relevant?
It’s about as relevant to Pike and his rebuild as Eddie’s record.

the record matters because its reflective of the program has been an afterthought in this league and yes that will include this year

Ok ... so in the Pike Era RU went 4-16, and now 2-7, for a 6-23 record ... so now we win on average 20% in league!!!

its a message board, someone brought up the record and he was blasted for it..why? it is what is, you cannot hide from it.

He was blasted for it because he usually posts negatively (just like he did here).

You can’t hide from it, but no use shouting it from the rooftop, either, unless you like to wallow in misery.

Better days are ahead!

Reactions: ru66 and biazza38
What is the point of a “Rutgers” fan dragging out our all time record in the B1G after every (or any) game?

I can see a fan of a rival school doing it, but why would a Rutgers fan?
To have a “discussion?”
A “discussion” about what?

Or are you just trying to dredge up more negativity?
You think that kind of woe is me, sad sack mentality helps in any way?

When fans / potential fans and recruits / potential recruits can read your crap?

Why didn’t you post the all time record of our men’s basketball program?
Is that relevant?
It’s about as relevant to Pike and his rebuild as Eddie’s record.

The record is the record. It is reflective of how we have fared in this league. If you don’t like the record don’t blame rutgers fans like myself. I did not coach or play any of those games.
If we were 55-8 and someone posted that would you still be whining like a teenage girl?

Reactions: RUaMoose
OK....how about we spin this to what matters to the recruits that see the actual progress and say RU is 5-11 in their last 16 B1G or Power 5 type games or that 8 of the 11 losses are to ranked or programs that made the NCAA tournament....

And RU was not favored in any but one of these contests (ironically the most recent one vs Nebraska as a very slight favorite

Illinois (4 point underdog) Win

B1G Tourney Ohio State (8 point underdog) Win

B1G Tourney Northwestern (9-11 point underdog) Huge Loss /NCAA team

Florida State (5.5 point underdog) Loss by 5 to ranked program)

at Minnesota (14.5 point underdog) Loss (ranked program prior to injuries and suspension of all league caliber starter.

Michigan State (14 point underdog) Loss, but extremely competitive to Top 5 program

Seton Hall (7.5 to 8.5 point underdog) Win over ranked program at time and at worse a Top 35-40 program.

at Purdue (20 point underdog) Ugly loss to a now Top 5 program

Wisconsin (1 to 3 point underdog) Solid Win albeit a program with 2 injuries to starter and contributing bench player

at Michigan State (22-23 point underdog) huge showing in loss in OT to Top 5 program

Ohio State (5-6 point underdog) Ugly loss off OT loss to Top 20-25 program (currently 13th this week)....loss of 6th man Mike Williams at 18-28 minutes a game most nights

Iowa (PK to 1 point underdog) Huge win by leading by 10-15+ points most of the game AND no Mike Williams)

at Michigan (12.5-13 point underdog) Loss, very tough and poor shooting game

Nebraska (+ 1 to PK to 2 point favorite) Loss (another tough shooting game)

I can spin this forward and state with 1000% certainty that if we don't win Illinois and Ohio State games at the end of last season, 2018 recruiting momentum and recruits signed today and viewpoint of the program and 2019 recruiting (on the uptick) are VASTLY different than where things stand today.

I can also say that despite 11 losses over the 16 significant games that matter the most to people looking to measure actual progress (mostly AAU and self-aware HS coache), that in almost every instance, RU's roster is at a distinct skill level disadvantage and or size/depth disadvantage. If anyone wants to poke holes in any of the 5 wins, they can assuredly do so, but in 3 of the 5, there is ZERO argument that RU was a solid or very considerable underdog, even at home.

That doesn't mean that RU will or should win or be in every single game against an unranked opponent or that they wont be significant underdogs in all of their remaining road games the rest of this season (outside of Illinois, they will be 7 or more points or double digit underdogs the rest of the way on the road).

But I don't see the relevance of the 1st 2 seasons in the B1G when discussing where RU is going, going with recruiting, going with facilities, going with revenue coming and overall progress.....

I could also add that or isolate just the 2-7 in league this year that 6 of the 7 losses were to teams that were or should have been ranked at the time they played the opponents....

These seem like "yeah so what", but the depths of where we were coming from can't be understated enough....yes the B1G is down this year, but we are going to get 6 of the 18 games against the unquestioned Top 3 programs in the league....it's not like we are drawing twice Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and didn't get Minnesota 2X prior to their freefall....MSU, OSU and Purdue are legitimate threats for at worse the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 this season.

Last edited:
One thing I'll never understand that is tangentially related to this thread: How there are some posters who wanted Eddie Jordan to get more time, but are now suddenly impatient with a team that is clearly improving under Pikiell.

Reactions: RUonBrain
So you felt the need to post our record to a message board that already knows our record. Same question, whats your point?

Did you actually know the record ? I didn’t and actually had to search and add the wins (not many ) and losses (very many). So I would say good chance readers of this board did not know the record off the top of their heads. Just providing a stat to the board and people are free to discuss (or not).

Did you actually know the record ? I didn’t and actually had to search and add the wins (not many ) and losses (very many). So I would say good chance readers of this board did not know the record off the top of their heads. Just providing a stat to the board and people are free to discuss (or not).
I didn’t know the exact number but I knew roughly what the record was just base on the number of big 10 wins we have had.

Reactions: 506chuteregt
B1G record a rough stat? You can do better that. How about RU hasn't had a winning conference record since the A10! That's right. Wenzel went 14-4 in 90-91 in the A10. Only twice since then RU managed to get to .500 in league play. Bannon 9-9 Big East 98-99, and Waters 8-8 in 2000-2001. YIKES!

Reactions: Ray1125
B1G record a rough stat? You can do better that. How about RU hasn't had a winning conference record since the A10! That's right. Wenzel went 14-4 in 90-91 in the A10. Only twice since then RU managed to get to .500 in league play. Bannon 9-9 Big East 98-99, and Waters 8-8 in 2000-2001. YIKES!
Waters’ first year was 01-02. Kevin was still here in 00-01.

Last edited:
The record is the record. It is reflective of how we have fared in this league. If you don’t like the record don’t blame rutgers fans like myself. I did not coach or play any of those games.
If we were 55-8 and someone posted that would you still be whining like a teenage girl?

I’m with you, Plum. I don’t get the response at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT