ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Record 9-60

quote-i-m-not-here-to-discuss-the-past-i-m-here-to-be-positive-mark-mcgwire-124121.jpg

What's done is done. The previous seasons are now irrelevant to what this year's team is doing, or what next year's team will do, or the one after that etc - other than its impact on recruiting. Everyone paying any attention knows how we were under Jordan. I see no upside in bringing it up again (and again and again, in the case of some posters) - and that is why some are jumping on the OP for starting this thread.

Illinois has 0 wins in football, men's and women's bb. That is pretty bad with a full share of the money. Wow they now have one win. Wow.

Yet if you watched national media who would be viewed more negatively by the common fan and be described worse by commentators?

Another OP that defines the culture of Rutgers fans. No fan can talk positively, why would anyone without ties to the school think there was a positive outlook?

Reactions: RUonBrain
Depressing; dreary. Gloomy. Pitifully bad.
Thanks for defining dismal for me. Not quite what I was going for but it will do. In my one trip to the RAC I didn't find it dismal at all. Perhaps I'm too easy to please, as long as my ass fits in the seat and I can see the game, I'm satisfied. Or maybe I was just blinded with joy over our upset win over Seton Hall.

Reactions: RUonBrain
the record matters because its reflective of the program has been an afterthought in this league and yes that will include this year
If Pikiell gave a damn about this year’s B1G record he wouldn’t have signed Kiss, signed Johnson or pushed Doucoure to reclassify and sign. Pikiell already knew he had no depth between Shaq’s limits and Bullock, but he made three roster decisions for the long-term instead of taking a couple grad transfers or JuCos who might have helped win a game or two this season or next. Sure, Mensah was a depth move, but the staff just blew that one.

Who’s kidding whom, 18-19 won’t be much better. Does the staff really want Sanders back or is it time to give the minutes at the 1 to Baker to get him ready for Year 4? Four or six B1G wins next year, what’s the difference? It’s all about 19-20, baby!

I'm fairly certain that every RU fan who follows MBB knows how rough our first few years have been, but thanks for posting the obvious.

If Pikiell gave a damn about this year’s B1G record he wouldn’t have signed Kiss, signed Johnson or pushed Doucoure to reclassify and sign. Pikiell already knew he had no depth between Shaq’s limits and Bullock, but he made three roster decisions for the long-term instead of taking a couple grad transfers or JuCos who might have helped win a game or two this season or next. Sure, Mensah was a depth move, but the staff just blew that one.

Who’s kidding whom, 18-19 won’t be much better. Does the staff really want Sanders back or is it time to give the minutes at the 1 to Baker to get him ready for Year 4? Four or six B1G wins next year, what’s the difference? It’s all about 19-20, baby!

There's levels of dumb and then there's "Dilly Dilly levels....why would you play or bring in an inferior grad transfer when the team already had 5 to 6 seniors 18 months ago??

The "fear many fans had was Diallo Doorson Freeman, Nigel Johnson along with Mike Williams all departing at the same time along with the potential of Sanders....

Then fans act as if Montez Mathis was already on the roster and that Thiam was this super reliable and proven player when Kiss was landed last spring...what happens when you don't get a recruit with the potential of Mathis and Williams graduating next year...??

The only valid criticism of restructuring the roster is Mensah but at end of the day with Thiam playing a few minutes at shooting guard last year, Mensah is a safety net that hasn't come close to panning out as your 4th or 5th guard....everyone with a pulse felt taking Bullock at the time when you had 8 scholarship kids projected on the roster with a connection to NazReid was worth the dice roll.

It's not an easy road but there are typical fans that understand the process and then a "Yankee Fan mentality" of entitlement that is unfortunately a part of the tri State area culture that of their favorite teams walk to the front of the line with free agency and "sure, let me trade a back of rocks for Giancarlo Stanton".....

In college sports, you rarely win without revenue...or we can trade spots with UConn...??

There's levels of dumb and then there's "Dilly Dilly levels....why would you play or bring in an inferior grad transfer when the team already had 5 to 6 seniors 18 months ago??

The "fear many fans had was Diallo Doorson Freeman, Nigel Johnson along with Mike Williams all departing at the same time along with the potential of Sanders....

Then fans act as if Montez Mathis was already on the roster and that Thiam was this super reliable and proven player when Kiss was landed last spring...what happens when you don't get a recruit with the potential of Mathis and Williams graduating next year...??

The only valid criticism of restructuring the roster is Mensah but at end of the day with Thiam playing a few minutes at shooting guard last year, Mensah is a safety net that hasn't come close to panning out as your 4th or 5th guard....everyone with a pulse felt taking Bullock at the time when you had 8 scholarship kids projected on the roster with a connection to NazReid was worth the dice roll.

It's not an easy road but there are typical fans that understand the process and then a "Yankee Fan mentality" of entitlement that is unfortunately a part of the tri State area culture that of their favorite teams walk to the front of the line with free agency and "sure, let me trade a back of rocks for Giancarlo Stanton".....

In college sports, you rarely win without revenue...or we can trade spots with UConn...??
I am very happy that Pikiell is building the program for 19-20 and after instead of trying to get 1 or 2 extra wins this season. Not sure who your post is targeting.

If the record was 55-8 and was posted after another win, would you have a problem with it ?

Of course not.

If you owned a business (say a restaurant) and received a local award, would you hang a copy of it on the wall for customers to see?

If you received a citation for having rodents or roaches in the kitchen, would you hang it on the wall for customers to see?

Some people like to promote their business/interests and be optimistic.

Others like to yell, “We suck!” (Although I have no idea why if it’s something they really care about, and want to see it improve.)

Reactions: RUDutch
Of course not.

If you owned a business (say a restaurant) and received a local award, would you hang a copy of it on the wall for customers to see?

If you received a citation for having rodents or roaches in the kitchen, would you hang it on the wall for customers to see?

Some people like to promote their business/interests and be optimistic.

Others like to yell, “We suck!” (Although I have no idea why if it’s something they really care about, and want to see it improve.)

Interesting comparison. I don’t own business called rutgers men’s basketball . Do you? Just trying to stay accurate and stick to the facts. Keep the eye on the prize as better days ahead .
8-56.

Interesting comparison. I don’t own business called rutgers men’s basketball . Do you? Just trying to stay accurate and stick to the facts. Keep the eye on the prize as better days ahead .
8-56.

Don’t own it, but put a lot of emotion into it, so I might as well own a piece of it (just like you and everyone else).

Don’t own it, but put a lot of emotion into it, so I might as well own a piece of it (just like you and everyone else).

Emotion doesn’t equal ownership. Otherwise many people attached to their iPhones would be rich .

Kiss is a kid who I have read has not played bb all that long. No problem with Pikes taking that kid.

I'm fairly certain that every RU fan who follows MBB knows how rough our first few years have been, but thanks for posting the obvious.
What first few years are you talking about?The problems with mens basketball have lasted for decades.

Why do people have a problem with negative posts? Ineptness is ineptness. Over 20 years and no NCAA bid. A football team that is one of the worst in Power 5 conferences. So if you are a fan who wants RU to succeed—why pretend and paint false rosy of Rutgers athletics when we are inept in basketball and football. Maybe things would change FOR THE BETTER IF RU DIEHARDS on the message board really told the truth and demanded an end of ineptness.

Reactions: Plum Street
Why do people have a problem with negative posts? Ineptness is ineptness. Over 20 years and no NCAA bid. A football team that is one of the worst in Power 5 conferences. So if you are a fan who wants RU to succeed—why pretend and paint false rosy of Rutgers athletics when we are inept in basketball and football. Maybe things would change FOR THE BETTER IF RU DIEHARDS on the message board really told the truth and demanded an end of ineptness.

I now see the light.....!!!!.....I had no idea that all it took for a Power 5 program around the country to tell the truth and demanded an end to the process!!!....that will make the process magically happen and while we are at it, let's restrict the better programs from recruiting anyone into their program for 2 or 3 years, so everyone else can catch up!!

I mean, why didn't much wealthier programs like Northwestern, Minnesota, Penn State, Nebraska do this 15-20 years ago as well????.....I'm sure their fan bases are no different than RU's over the years.....I mean that's all it takes to beat Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue and others in basketball.....just demand excellence, while we sit on our couches....that works in a lot of other Pro sports as well....The Met fans need to demand excellence, forget spending any money or investing in the farm system....go beat the Yankees and others that build things over time to catch up....instead, let's make it happen yesterday!!!

Still also waiting for the explanation on the countless other programs who are just now investing money into facilities like Northwestern etc, who buried and pocketed DECADES of B1G revenue, never investing a nickel into their facilities until someone finally said enough is enough!!!....that will launch Northwestern right to the top of the B1G...!!!

Also still waiting for someone to post

Penn State's all time B1G record.....
Penn States all time B1G road record...
Nebraska's all time B1G and Big 12/Big 8 record
Northwestern's all time B1G record in league games
Northwesterns all time B1G road record in league games....

I don't believe it's as east as fans think and it actually takes work to get there...and I know someone will say the last 20-30 years have involved "building that process", when in actual terms very little has been done over those "decades of futility".

There is a lengthy and no short cuts process in building facilities, coaching staffs, recruiting the right players, and everything else that comes with it....If this hard work isn't for you, probably best to find something else to do....if you actually enjoy watching the process evolve from not winning to respectable, to "good", to "on the map" and will respect the coaches and players pushing that process forward, then enjoy the rebuild.

Diverting attention to other teams past failures doesn't change the status of Rutgers which is what concerns fans on this message board.Constant failure is unacceptable at all levels of sports where even high school coaches are fired for losing records.

Rutgers mens basketball has been ignored for decades by the athletic department in favor of enhancing football.The facts are that neither football nor mens basketball were prepared for competition into the B1G .Kicking the can down the road until 2021 when full funding occurs seems to be the mantra to deflect criticism regarding team results.

As to mens basketball the refrain being pushed by some fans is that 2019-20 is the season when things will change because of improved recruiting and the completion of practice facility construction.Fans sure hope that happens but there is no certainty that will occur.I remember all the discussion about poor recruiting and that would change after joining the Big East.It didn't happen then and it hasn't yet as compared to league competition.

All Rutgers fans want Pikiell and staff to be successful because they are tired of watching losing teams compete.The unresolved problem is getting top tier talent to choose Rutgers when they have other choices with a winning mantra.Wishful thinking won't get the job done.It will take a sense of urgency starting with changes in the roster at the end of the season to bring in some additional recruits prior to next year.

Diverting attention to other teams past failures doesn't change the status of Rutgers which is what concerns fans on this message board.Constant failure is unacceptable at all levels of sports where even high school coaches are fired for losing records.

Rutgers mens basketball has been ignored for decades by the athletic department in favor of enhancing football.The facts are that neither football nor mens basketball were prepared for competition into the B1G .Kicking the can down the road until 2021 when full funding occurs seems to be the mantra to deflect criticism regarding team results.

As to mens basketball the refrain being pushed by some fans is that 2019-20 is the season when things will change because of improved recruiting and the completion of practice facility construction.Fans sure hope that happens but there is no certainty that will occur.I remember all the discussion about poor recruiting and that would change after joining the Big East.It didn't happen then and it hasn't yet as compared to league competition.

All Rutgers fans want Pikiell and staff to be successful because they are tired of watching losing teams compete.The unresolved problem is getting top tier talent to choose Rutgers when they have other choices with a winning mantra.Wishful thinking won't get the job done.It will take a sense of urgency starting with changes in the roster at the end of the season to bring in some additional recruits prior to next year.

If by top tier talent you mean five stars, I don't think that's going to happen even with the completion of the practice facility. This team will start to win when Pikiell has his full compliment of players (hopefully multiple four stars) and they have a chance to develop in his system.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
If by top tier talent you mean five stars, I don't think that's going to happen even with the completion of the practice facility. This team will start to win when Pikiell has his full compliment of players (hopefully multiple four stars) and they have a chance to develop in his system.
I would take four star recruits that can shoot/score.

8-60 matters in the sense that it’s what a recruiting is staring at.

If you're a recruit is that what you are looking at? Or are you looking at the current staff, the near tern record, potential playing time, the facilities, the school, the fan base, the donor base etc?

The record is what it is....but to harp on it serves no useful purpose except to try and change out the staff or create even more negativity around the program.

It certainly is frustrating....but those who cannot see the improvement under Pikes seem to have conveniently forgotten the 50 and 70 point losses and how bad we really were just a couple years ago.

PS.....the OP is obviously trolling similar to what he does on the football board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT